PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Update KB2670838 bugzzz...

vosk
Feb-27-2013, 07:40
Guys who already installed this W7 Update today ( KB2670838 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838) ) - all ok for you? I have down launcher three time in sequence after this update.. :( Bad patch microsoft.. :)

ATAG_Septic
Feb-27-2013, 08:28
Guys who already installed this W7 Update today ( KB2670838 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838) ) - all ok for you? I have down launcher three time in sequence after this update.. :( Bad patch microsoft.. :)

Soory to hear and to report it's not caused me any problems.

Septic.

Shado
Feb-27-2013, 08:40
Hi Vosk

Just installing the update myself are you running 64bit?

Valec
Feb-27-2013, 09:38
Guys who already installed this W7 Update today ( KB2670838 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838) ) - all ok for you? I have down launcher three time in sequence after this update.. :( Bad patch microsoft.. :)Too : ( 3x launcher exe in 3 flight.Back to previous windows its ok.

vosk
Feb-27-2013, 09:47
Hi Vosk

Just installing the update myself are you running 64bit?

Yes. I have W7 Ultimate x64. But I already found a solution to this problem. :-) Run DXSETUP.exe from Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\redist\DirectX and it replace new "DirectX 11" :) files for original CoD DX. And all will be ok! (help for Valec too, because I cannt fly on ATAG without Valec :))

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-27-2013, 10:13
Thanks, Vosk. My PC ran the Windows update last night when I shut down, so I'll do the dxsetup before I try running Clod later today. :thumbsup:

Valec
Feb-27-2013, 10:59
yes. I have w7 ultimate x64. But i already found a solution to this problem. :-) run dxsetup.exe from steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\redist\directx and it replace new "directx 11" :) files for original cod dx. And all will be ok! (help for valec too, because i cannt fly on atag without valec :))thx :))

StormBat
Feb-27-2013, 12:56
Yesterday I got a new update for my windows 7 64 bit(Windows platform update) and after that I couldn't get into my game due to crashes. Drock got on TS shortly after and was having the same problem. After a bit I remembered the update and asked Drock if he also updated his Windows with the platform update, he did. So we both did a system restore and the problem was fixed. I was just online with 71_AH-Bader and he had the same problem. So I asked him if he downloaded the latest platform update and he said he did too. So if your having problems with crashes and you got the update just click on your start button type in system restore in the search box and restore the last update. Problem should be solved after that. Okay I guess there is a fix just read the post below I didn not see it before I wrote this post :)

ATAG_Septic
Feb-27-2013, 13:04
Yesterday I got a new update for my windows 7 64 bit(Windows platform update) and after that I couldn't get into my game due to crashes. Drock got on TS shortly after and was having the same problem. After a bit I remembered the update and asked Drock if he also updated his Windows with the platform update, he did. So we both did a system restore and the problem was fixed. I was just online with 71_AH-Bader and he had the same problem. So I asked him if he downloaded the latest platform update and he said he did too. So if your having problems with crashes and you got the update just click on your start button type in system restore in the search box and restore the last update. Problem should be solved after that. Okay I guess there is a fix just read the post below I didn not see it before I wrote this post :)

Thanks for the heads-up Stormbat.

It's not caused me any problems but I've read it has for a few.

I hope there's a hotfix for it though as it adds some Directx 11-1 features according to http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Service-Pack-1-Windows-7-DirectX-11.1-Runtime-Chuck-Walbourn,19135.html

Septic.

Bounder!
Feb-27-2013, 18:57
Haven't had problems playing CLoD since windows update last night but sweetfx stopped working and so did fraps in CLoD. Tried reinstalling sweetfx and fraps... nothing, tried verify CLoD through steam... nothing.... saw this thread and did windows restore point and it fixed everything - cheers!

Mysticpuma
Feb-27-2013, 19:22
Aha! I found FRAPS no longer works, so looks like a system restore too, thanks for the info. :D

vosk
Feb-27-2013, 19:48
Aha! I found FRAPS no longer works, so looks like a system restore too, thanks for the info. :D

Fraps is bad.. :vomit: Action! is good :whacky3:

Alice
Feb-28-2013, 00:47
Hi guys,

I had the same problem but instead of doing a restore I just uninstalled the update through the Control Panel. Then, for good measure, I followed JTDawg's instructions in this thread (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?1806-If-you-have-not-tried-this-please-do&highlight=dawg).

The "redist" folder in the Steam Cliffs folder has both the .NET Framework 4 and the DXSETUP executables in it. I already have .NET Framework 4.5 so the first part cancelled itself and I followed the Control Panel route in this thread. Still worked like a treat, though. I had four "launcher" crashes after only a few minutes each join, and after the above, none for two hours.

Didn't keep me alive through every sortie, but at least I was there to try again :thumbsup:.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Feb-28-2013, 07:32
My FXAA has disabled.

I'm going to run the DX fix as suggested at top of this thread.

Mastiff
Mar-01-2013, 00:22
fraps updated to 3.5.99 did fix my DX10 issue with that KB2670838 M$ release...

Fraps 3.5.99 - 26th February, 2013

- Fixed counter not appearing in Aero desktop (DWM) and DX10 games after latest Windows Update

also if your running it in NVIDIA and having issues then redist folder run all the tools in there.

ATAG_Bliss
Mar-01-2013, 00:25
Mine updated, and I have zero issues. Sweet FX/the sim, all works fine. Maybe I'm lucky?

Falco
Mar-01-2013, 00:47
Mine keeps crashing, guess I'll have to try uninstalling or system restore:pcsux:

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-01-2013, 01:34
I tried the DXSETUP but still got a launcher crash ten minutes into play. Next uninstalled the update and had no problem after that.

Mastiff
Mar-01-2013, 02:58
which os and I.E are you running?

Logan
Mar-01-2013, 11:23
Mine updated, and I have zero issues. Sweet FX/the sim, all works fine. Maybe I'm lucky?
Me too.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-01-2013, 11:31
which os and I.E are you running?

Sorry Mastiff, just saw your post and I'm AFK. I'm running Win7 64-bit (can't remember which one offhand -- home version, I guess). I can't remember if I upgraded to the latest I.E. but will check this as well when I get home).

1lokos
Mar-01-2013, 11:51
I have crash after MS updade. Uninstall then and check, OK.

Install MS update again, run .NET repair, DXSETUP, clear cache.
Still crash after minutes in game.

So disable FlightFX, and now work fine.

ATI HD7970, last AMD driver.

Sokol1

II/JG53_Volker
Mar-01-2013, 12:43
I have had problems with this update too.
Running Win7 64bit ultimate with latest IE version.

Tried the .Net & direct X refresh, no help for me. The cure was to remove the update.

But sweet and smooth now.

~S~

Volker

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Mar-01-2013, 13:17
I'm still working through fxaa issues.

The FXAA works ok in game, but any videos I record cause problems;

1. Fraps causes crash if ClOD is loaded first
2. Fraps causes fxaa to stop working if CloD is loaded second
3. Action! does not record the fxaa, but records the vanilla; pre-fx game

kevchenco
Mar-02-2013, 13:24
I was getting launcher crash before COD would start

I read elsewhere that teamspeak is to blame - shut off the overlay and boom everything seems to work fine now

JG4_Widukind
Mar-06-2013, 12:03
Yes it was this Windows update

iam install COD complett new..same Laucher crashs
iam install Windows 7 64 bitcomlett new...same laucher crashs
than my Mate was regist here callt me, Widows Update is the problem....a full Weekend was only for both me PC new :grrr:
but shit happens..thats the World.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-06-2013, 12:15
Well, welcome to the forum anyway, Widukind! :D

Despite applying the fixes above, I continued to get screen freezes/launcher crashes about 20 minutes into the game. Right about as things would be getting interesting! :grrr:

I finally gave up fighting it and simply uninstalled this update -- problem solved completely. If it weren't for the forum posts here, though, I doubt I would've figured out the update problem on my own.

Crazy-Canuck
Mar-06-2013, 20:42
I'm still working through fxaa issues.

The FXAA works ok in game, but any videos I record cause problems;

1. Fraps causes crash if ClOD is loaded first
2. Fraps causes fxaa to stop working if CloD is loaded second
3. Action! does not record the fxaa, but records the vanilla; pre-fx game

You need to run Fraps 3.5.99. It was updated to work with the recent Windows update.
I find SweetFx crashes my game. I suspect the creaters of SweetFx will have to update their software as well.

Steuben
Mar-11-2013, 15:50
Weird but i could play a while with the update without crash until Storm of war mission lasst Sunday! Now launcher crashes at start and nothing seems to help no even removing the update! :grrr: Must be some other update that cause my problems! aarrrgh

Flanker35M
Mar-15-2013, 14:05
S!

Got the Launcher.exe crashing too after this update came along :( Gonna try the fixes posted here if it helps. Strangely CoD is the only game getting problems with it, other games like War Thunder, EVE Online, MechWarrior Online etc. have no problemos whatsoever. Strange. Maybe CoD just is so picky :D

Catseye
Mar-15-2013, 15:05
S!

Got the Launcher.exe crashing too after this update came along :( Gonna try the fixes posted here if it helps. Strangely CoD is the only game getting problems with it, other games like War Thunder, EVE Online, MechWarrior Online etc. have no problemos whatsoever. Strange. Maybe CoD just is so picky :D

No luck for me!
I re-installed the update and did the "fixes" with no beneficial results.

So I removed the update completely and all works now as it should.

Flanker35M
Mar-16-2013, 09:29
S!

Seems I have to uninstall this update as CoD does NOT like it for some reason. It runs well until the launcher.exe crash..Oh well, such is computer user's life I guess :D

Flanker35M
Mar-18-2013, 12:31
S!

Removed SweetFX and related files from my IL-2 Cliffs Of Dover folder = launcher did not crash. Before it almost immediate freeze and launcher crash. Maybe the new MS KB update is not compatible with SweetFX?:doh:

1lokos
Mar-18-2013, 13:42
Yes, the issue is not with CloD per si - I have this update installed and all work OK.

But I have to uninstall SweeFX since CloD+KB2670848+SweetFX dont work.

Sokol1

56RAF_klem
Mar-23-2013, 07:32
Guys,

See
http://www.winbeta.org/news/botched-...ft-working-fix

"Microsoft is aware of an issue some customers are experiencing when installing KB2670838 on certain laptop systems with hybrid graphics. We are looking into the situation and are considering blocking the update for systems that could be affected. Customers who are experiencing issues on systems that already have installed the update should consider uninstalling KB2670838.

If you are experiencing this issue, there is only one way to temporarily fix the problem until Microsoft issues a permanent fix. Go to the Control Panel, Uninstall a Program, select View Installed Updates from the left, and scroll down to KB2670838. Double click on it to uninstall. Once it is uninstalled, go to the Control Panel, then System and Security, then Windows Update, and click Check for Updates. Right-click the KB2670838 and select Hide."

You may need to read " Go to the Control Panel, Uninstall a Program," as "Go to the Control Panel, select Programs and Features,"

It also helps to find it by clicking on the Name header to sort by name.

It may not just be laptops and it may not just be BSOD.

My Sweetfx caused a CoD lockup so I switched back to the FXAA injector with no further problems but since finding this link I may remove the KB2670838 update and try Sweetfx again (which I prefer).

Mastiff
Mar-25-2013, 09:01
please move this to the tech forum

Taxman
Apr-07-2013, 18:51
What a fustercleck, I had uninstalled the "infamous" KB2670838" about a month ago, and all was fine. Due to work the last time I was able to fly was March 31, tried to fly yesterday and all the same problems that KB2670838 introduced started showing again. I figuired that there was something else wrong and started troble shooting with no good resuilts. Today I thought to revisit the windows updates and low and behold there it was again with an install date of 4/2/13, no wonder I had problems.:doh: Just finished the uninstall again and will check it in afew hours, other real life things to do. :salute:

Taxman
Apr-07-2013, 23:07
As per my first post checking back. Every thing is now back to normal, so if you are having problems as first appeared with KB2670838 you might want to check to see if Windows did an "update" and reinstalled the KB26!@#$****again!!!. At least for me that is what caused my problems:stunned:

56RAF_klem
Apr-08-2013, 04:51
As per my first post checking back. Every thing is now back to normal, so if you are having problems as first appeared with KB2670838 you might want to check to see if Windows did an "update" and reinstalled the KB26!@#$****again!!!. At least for me that is what caused my problems:stunned:

Did you remember to 'Hide' that update on the list of updates available?

Taxman
Apr-08-2013, 23:06
Thanks 56RAF_klem,

Just did it :salute:

marty
Jun-12-2013, 20:26
Guys,
"Microsoft is aware of an issue some customers are experiencing when installing KB2670838 on certain laptop systems with hybrid graphics. We are looking into the situation and are considering blocking the update for systems that could be affected. Customers who are experiencing issues on systems that already have installed the update should consider uninstalling KB2670838.

It appears there's an update KB2834140 to resolve those issues for KB2670838, seen here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2834140. Anyone game enough to try?

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-12-2013, 20:40
It appears there's an update KB2834140 to resolve those issues for KB2670838, seen here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2834140. Anyone game enough to try?

Hi Marty, and welcome to the forum. Great first post! :thumbsup:

I noticed earlier today when I shut down my PC that it was doing a "Windows Update" with 8 files. Thanks for this heads up. I blocked (hid) the problem-prone earlier KB2670838, so I'll see if the newer file KB2834140 was actually installed today. I'll be playing Clod, so it'll be interesting to see if I get launcher crashes or not. I'm not running SweetFX or any other similar utilities which had been problematic with the earlier Win update.

Fudge
Oct-04-2013, 13:37
Thanks for this thread. My game was constantly crashing, so I'd never really managed to play a full mission. Found this thread last night and removed the update, played for over an hour online with a friend without anything crashing. Needs some longer testing but seems stable now :)

Few weeks later, 16 extra flying hours and patch 4.0 and so far no crashing :salute:

major_setback
Dec-01-2013, 11:33
Thanks for this thread. My game was constantly crashing, so I'd never really managed to play a full mission. Found this thread last night and removed the update, played for over an hour online with a friend without anything crashing. Needs some longer testing but seems stable now :)

Few weeks later, 16 extra flying hours and patch 4.0 and so far no crashing :salute:

Ditto, the game is now working properly for the first time ever (not fully tested yet though).

Huge Thanks for the fixes posted on this forum.

silvernight
Nov-16-2015, 07:55
Yes. I have W7 Ultimate x64. But I already found a solution to this problem. :-) Run DXSETUP.exe from Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\redist\DirectX and it replace new "DirectX 11" :) files for original CoD DX. And all will be ok! (help for Valec too, because I cannt fly on ATAG without Valec :))

Hi

I'm not at all savvy with how you run DXSETUP from the DirectX folder within COD.

May I ask for your help please.

Baffin
Nov-16-2015, 10:59
Hi

I'm not at all savvy with how you run DXSETUP from the DirectX folder within COD.

May I ask for your help please.

Browse File Exlorer to find:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\redist\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe"

Click on the executable "DXSETUP.exe":pcguy:
Better, still... drag it to the desktop and use the icon to run it.

ATAG_Hawk
Dec-06-2015, 11:46
I know it's a while since anybody commented on this subject but as a newly returned COD pilot I have a big problem with KB2670838 screen freezes in COD. I have returned to COD after a 12 month break with a new rig which is able to cope with the demands of COD. So imagine how I felt when commencing flight training and enjoying the super graphics and smooth flying when suddenly the screen freezes and I have to shut everything down and restart the sim. I have discovered that the windows update KB2670838 is to blame for the crashes. Having read the earlier threads I deleted the evil update and COD runs fine on maximum settings again but not online. Unfortunately by deleting the update my internet stops working everytime. Fortunately I kept a copy of the KB2670838 and was able to re-install to get back on line. My question is has anybody come across this problem recently and have they found a solution? I am anxious to get into flying online but cannot do so while this dam update keeps shutting me down.
I have Windows 7 64 installed.

Mysticpuma
Dec-07-2015, 02:28
If I remember right this update is only required for Internet explorer to work. Most people (not all obviously) use another browser, so the best workaround is to delete the update and then install Firefox or Chrome to surf with :)

ATAG_Hawk
Dec-07-2015, 04:32
If I remember right this update is only required for Internet explorer to work. Most people (not all obviously) use another browser, so the best workaround is to delete the update and then install Firefox or Chrome to surf with :)
Thanks Mystic. I am running Chrome at the moment so I will give Firefox a try and see if that works.

breeze
Dec-28-2015, 01:45
finally found it and yanked it out by its roots..no more freezes :crazyeyes:..stupid computers

ATAG_Lewis
Dec-28-2015, 05:46
Breeze.....If you found it once you'll probably find it again in the future.....I have had this little bugger 3 or 4 times over the past couple years...It snuck in again and again without me knowing....so if you ever suffer the same symptoms again check for it first..its usually the culprit!!!

BOO
Dec-28-2015, 06:18
Did you remember to 'Hide' that update on the list of updates available?

Just thought id "bump" this one as it stops repeated attempts to install.......

ATAG_Dave
Dec-28-2015, 07:28
Just thought id "bump" this one as it stops repeated attempts to install.......

If you really want to rid yourself of this dreaded thing forever - replace Internet explorer with Firefox (mozilla)

DRock
Dec-28-2015, 08:22
Breeze.....If you found it once you'll probably find it again in the future.....I have had this little bugger 3 or 4 times over the past couple years...It snuck in again and again without me knowing....so if you ever suffer the same symptoms again check for it first..its usually the culprit!!!

Thought i'd have another look, and sure enough it did come back.

My computer has been acting up lately, this must be the problem again.

Edit. Smooth again. This thread should be in our banner.

CptJackSparrow
Dec-28-2015, 13:42
Is Win10 x64 affected by this little update file?

missionhcky09
Aug-30-2016, 14:53
Is Win10 x64 affected by this little update file?

Need a post to download something so here it is.

=FI=Murph
Aug-30-2016, 23:57
No windows 10 is not affected, since support for IE is ending, hence no need for the update.

Mira
Sep-28-2016, 07:00
Hi gentlemans
I being a new player in CoD..I have problems this is update..if he be instal game crash..
If I update this uninstal, game runs, without any problem, but ..
i have this graffic problems..

NVIDIA 1060 last driver..

Baffin
Sep-28-2016, 07:39
Internet Explorer 11 is fully supported in my windows 10 AU x64. It is my default browser by personal preference.
Windows 10 has not installed KB2670838 and I have had none of these problems since upgrading to Windows 10.
In my opinion, Windows 10 x64 is clearly superior to Windows 7 x64.

Ohms
Sep-28-2016, 09:56
Hi gentlemans
I being a new player in CoD..I have problems this is update..if he be instal game crash..
If I update this uninstal, game runs, without any problem, but ..
i have this graffic problems..

NVIDIA 1060 last driver..

Not sure if this applies but I did not update to the latest drivers as many people complained about issues.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/966915/geforce-drivers/official-372-90-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-9-21-16-/1/

LURCH1111
Nov-16-2016, 11:44
Just to say this is still an issue in 2016

LLv24_Veccu
Dec-21-2016, 09:07
Just to say this is still an issue in 2016

I Hope not, because in il2 Bos that update is needed and must after latest update to BOS. So you have to decide are you playing Bos or Clod....

Is there any easy solution to swich backandforth between dx9 and dx11?

-Veccu-

Karaya
Dec-21-2016, 09:20
Your best bet is to upgrade to Win10. I've done so half a year ago and haven't had any regrets at all so far. Both sims work absolutely flawlessly, in fact Cliffs runs more smoothly for me on Win10 than it ever has on Win7.

BOO
Dec-22-2016, 04:39
Your best bet is to upgrade to Win10. I've done so half a year ago and haven't had any regrets at all so far. Both sims work absolutely flawlessly, in fact Cliffs runs more smoothly for me on Win10 than it ever has on Win7.

plus 1. if you can then do.