PDA

View Full Version : Guns, guns, guns

Broodwich
Feb-27-2013, 19:35
I feel like the other topic could use a split.

If done to historical accuracy fire rate would be great to have in game. Gunners and pilots alike I'm sure were given training on the possible damage to their guns from over firing and generating heat. I bet they were very cautious to follow the guide lines or risk loosing the gun to failure or barrel warpage. So then what were the instruction's, and what were the penalties. I can't find very much on the web about this.

I do recall an interview or two where the pilots mentioned they didnt hold down the trigger the whole time because that would melt the barrel. I'll let the research junkies figure it out though.

What I'm more interested in is will jammed guns be implemented? There are quite a lot of incidents on both sides where guns would jam while pulling high g turns, either because of the weapon itself (early hispanos, MG FF, MK108) or because of its implementation (early P51s, tomahawks .303 wing guns, spits outer guns). Some of the discrepancies between real life and this game happen because people can pull high G turns and fire high deflection shots without worrying about their guns jamming.

Anywho, my 2cents

Oh, and I do realize this will take time! Many thanks and good luck to the devs!

SlipBall
Feb-28-2013, 08:14
Not much information out there on this, just pilot reports...but that works for me :D

LG1.Farber
Feb-28-2013, 08:19
Would barrels stay allot cooler at altitudes and going in excess of 200 mph?

SlipBall
Feb-28-2013, 08:36

Yes I found that mentioned at the Browning web site, it, the air flow was sufficient

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Feb-28-2013, 09:30

yep. Wind chill alone at 200mph is -15 degrees Celsius or thereabouts.

Osprey
Feb-28-2013, 10:23

Indeed. The main problem was preventing them from freezing up. The Spitfire certainly has heating ducts into the gun compartments, I suspect this is common in the modern types of the time.

LG1.Farber
Feb-28-2013, 10:27
So really its just about the belts snagging and getting chewed up from hi G turns... Yes I think this is an excellent feature. Great idea. I hope TF pick up on it at some point.

92 Sqn. Folmar (QJ-F)
Feb-28-2013, 10:33
Before they started using the fabric covers on the gun ports it wasn't uncommon for the guns to freeze both in temperature and in the working parts of the machine guns.

LG1.Farber
Feb-28-2013, 19:44
Before they started using the fabric covers on the gun ports it wasn't uncommon for the guns to freeze both in temperature and in the working parts of the machine guns.

Thats ok, German guns will soon be around the engine to keep them warm :thumbsup: