PDA

View Full Version : help with controls setup

oneway
Mar-01-2013, 17:44
im not sure if this is the correct place for this post but anyway.
I need some help setting up my planes controls is there a basic setup i can start with?
ive searched but ive not found any threads on this.
seems to me that some controls overlap but theres so many.
Im just looking for some default settings to get started with that will allow me to join in a atag server.

oneway.

Doc
Mar-01-2013, 17:49
What kind of controller are you using? I know what you are experiencing for sure. :thumbsup:

oneway
Mar-01-2013, 17:51
im using a cyborg 3d gold usb.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-01-2013, 18:29
Hi Oneway,

That's an excellent question to ask. Everyone has different setups, from a basic joystick + keyboard to an all-out HOTAS/rudder setup, and everything in between.

I can't tell you what to program on your setup, but here are some helpful (I hope) tips:

Prioritize. If you're flying fighters (most likely, I suppose), then you want to program the following functions to your joystick to help you fly and fight as effectively as possible:

1) Complex Engine Management: X, Y, and Z axis (ailerons, elevator, and rudder -- if you have a twist grip). Next is throttle axis, pitch axis, trim(s), then radiator control. If you've run out of axis on your joystick, then assign either joystick buttons or handy keyboard keys so you don't have to hunt & peck while fighting your opponent.

2) Sight. "Lose sight -- lose fight". If you don't have TrackIR then program your hatswitch to pan or snap views; whichever you feel most comfortable using. If you do have TrackIR, then program a joystick button to Center it, possibly a second one for Pause/Unpause.

3) Weaponry. For RAF fighters it's easy: pull trigger....kill bad guy. I believe with the LW fighters you may have a second button to program for cannon. If you're strapped for joystick buttons, you can program machine guns and cannon to fire at the same time with your trigger.

4) Comms. If you fly online you absolutely SHOULD get Teamspeak 3. If you have a handy button on your joystick programmed to "Push to Talk" you'll be amazed at how glad you'll be that you have it.....especially as tracers are whizzing by your cockpit! LOL

So above is just a thought process to keep in mind for what to assign to joystick and keyboard. Other functions like gear up/down, flaps, canopy, etc etc aren't quite as urgent and can be relegated to the keyboard since you can usually take your eyes off the screen for a few seconds to activate 'em.

Good luck and hope to see you online! :thumbsup:

Snapper

oneway
Mar-01-2013, 19:13
Hi Oneway,

That's an excellent question to ask. Everyone has different setups, from a basic joystick + keyboard to an all-out HOTAS/rudder setup, and everything in between.

I can't tell you what to program on your setup, but here are some helpful (I hope) tips:

Prioritize. If you're flying fighters (most likely, I suppose), then you want to program the following functions to your joystick to help you fly and fight as effectively as possible:

1) Complex Engine Management: X, Y, and Z axis (ailerons, elevator, and rudder -- if you have a twist grip). Next is throttle axis, pitch axis, trim(s), then radiator control. If you've run out of axis on your joystick, then assign either joystick buttons or handy keyboard keys so you don't have to hunt & peck while fighting your opponent.

2) Sight. "Lose sight -- lose fight". If you don't have TrackIR then program your hatswitch to pan or snap views; whichever you feel most comfortable using. If you do have TrackIR, then program a joystick button to Center it, possibly a second one for Pause/Unpause.

3) Weaponry. For RAF fighters it's easy: pull trigger....kill bad guy. I believe with the LW fighters you may have a second button to program for cannon. If you're strapped for joystick buttons, you can program machine guns and cannon to fire at the same time with your trigger.

4) Comms. If you fly online you absolutely SHOULD get Teamspeak 3. If you have a handy button on your joystick programmed to "Push to Talk" you'll be amazed at how glad you'll be that you have it.....especially as tracers are whizzing by your cockpit! LOL

So above is just a thought process to keep in mind for what to assign to joystick and keyboard. Other functions like gear up/down, flaps, canopy, etc etc aren't quite as urgent and can be relegated to the keyboard since you can usually take your eyes off the screen for a few seconds to activate 'em.

Good luck and hope to see you online! :thumbsup:

Snapper

thanks snapper good info.
ive been on team speak last night and striker and another fellow (forgot his name sorry)helped me sort out a problem with the mini map.
turned out to be game booster was srcewing it up.settings for the complex engin management is going to be my biggest thing .
looks like this is full real gaming so its going to take alot of time to adjust.

oneway

III./ZG76_Keller
Mar-01-2013, 19:19
Hi oneway, I suggest that as a beginner you start with one plane and fly that until you feel comfortable enough to take on a second, then a third, and so on.

What is your plane of choice to start with? If it's a Luftwaffe plane I'd be glad to spend some time with you on TS and get you started.