PDA

View Full Version : do not uninstall this update KB2670838

Mastiff
Mar-01-2013, 21:29
KB2670838 after running this update if you did not get the restart after update window, reboot your computer the update did not work properly.

you do not need to remove, Microsoft is getting ready to release new DX installer and you need that platform update.

it fixes Dx10 problems

if your having IL2 Cliffs of Dover problems, which by the way uses DX10 and Netframe works.

go into your IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover folder inside there is a redist folder\ inside there is all the tools you need to run in order to make your game run better, especially after .netframeworks updates or any video driver updates to this game.

1. run DX folder first (reboot)
2. dotnetFx40 folder run that (reboot)
3. run redist VCx86 folder, reboot your machine

run your game from the il2-icon from inside the game folder, you can send that short cut to the desk-top by right clicking
on it send to desk top or right click copy and paste to the desk top, next right click on the icon go to properties
click on that then click on advanced check the box run as administrator, click apply, click ok,do not use the steam icon, this causes all sort's of launcher crashes.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-01-2013, 22:15
I'll reinstall the update, then try the procedure you've outlined. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thanks for this, Mastiff!

Skoshi_Tiger
Mar-01-2013, 23:57
Thanks Mastiff!

Followed your instructions and it seams to have worked. The only thing I had to do different was uninstall a newer version of VC 10 redis.

Cheer!

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-02-2013, 02:02
Same as Skoshi Tiger. I got an error message when executing the vcredist_x86.exe file, saying there was a newer version of C++ already installed. I had it write over this anyway and rebooted. Other than a brief 5-second screen freeze about 20 minutes into the game tonight, it ran fine. In fact, I was struck by the absolute smoothness of the graphics and the higher frame rates I was getting, even when flying on the deck over Folkestone. Teamspeak worked fine, but I didn't try FRAPS -- next time I will.

Good stuff, Mastiff! :thumbsup:

ATAG_Lolsav
Mar-02-2013, 02:44
Tryed what you said there, still having issues. Got Win7 64 and a ATI/AMD card

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Mar-02-2013, 05:03
Hi all/ Mastiff; I have, since yesterday, removed the MS update KB2670838, and reverted to the pre-update windows.

However, I'm tempted to try your suggested fix in the OP. Can anyone advise how I can force the update to occur again?

Fenris
Mar-02-2013, 07:09
I followed that procedure and it's not working for me unfortunately.
I also had to remove a newer version of C++ before i was allowed to install the one in the game folder.

I also notice that internet explorer is not working on my machine after the update, it crashes immediately when it is launched.
When i remove the KB2670838, both IE and COD is working .

If KB2670838 is really needed in the future, it looks like i may be headed for the dreaded reinstall, if someone does not discovers a fix for this issue.

Fenris
Mar-02-2013, 07:12
I get this in my event viewer:

Application: Launcher.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
Stack:
at maddox.core.WRenderContext.created()
at hHfQWBPKAlZntqFIcOR.5jRIHIPc0CMBWlerW2q.created()
at hHfQWBPKAlZntqFIcOR.5jRIHIPc0CMBWlerW2q.dSw1BZbtfK r()
at bGdOH0B5fXhtjKwB4Nl.UYaQHcBwDI708VDJSHO.ZdCbMXVOaS d()
at vBCGsYHeul7fLrMykgX.PMUv7hH2KpMm4dnuyeJ.Pb91V3YA8R V(vBCGsYHeul7fLrMykgX.PMUv7hH2KpMm4dnuyeJ, System.String[], System.String, System.String)
at DeMxJ6XtZrxwRHUboBD.C0YsNJX8r7jx4hxfch8.fZNj56y8Zo Y0oWfnoZaO(System.Object, System.Object, System.Object, System.Object)
at DeMxJ6XtZrxwRHUboBD.C0YsNJX8r7jx4hxfch8.4N4HGdD0P3 y(System.String[])
at maddox.Launch.TOHos3jFOhs7R6Elfyc(System.Object)
at maddox.Launch.Program(System.String[])
at Launcher.Program.Main(System.String[])

Mastiff
Mar-02-2013, 07:49
looks like you got a framework networksdotnet error.

Do you have all the proper updates for netframeworks?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

Fenris
Mar-02-2013, 08:09
looks like you got a framework networksdotnet error.

Do you have all the proper updates for netframeworks?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

The problem is still there, i'm afraid.
After a quick google i see that other people are having problems with this patch as well.
I think i'll uninstall it and see how this plays out.

1lokos
Mar-02-2013, 08:14
Mastif,

You use SweetFX or FlightFX?

After MS Update if I enable one or another, CLoD crash.

Sokol1

ATAG_Septic
Mar-02-2013, 08:17
Hi Chaps,

You've probably looked at this page, just some info about what the update does;

This article describes a platform update for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This update improves the features and performance of the following components:

Direct2D
DirectWrite
Direct3D
Windows Imaging Component (WIC)
Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform (WARP)
Windows Animation Manager (WAM)
XPS Document API
H.264 Video Decoder
JPEG XR codec

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838

Septic.

Mastiff
Mar-02-2013, 09:01
The problem is still there, i'm afraid.
After a quick google i see that other people are having problems with this patch as well.
I think i'll uninstall it and see how this plays out.

you running a mod? if so that might be crashing it.

no I dont run Sweet Fx

Fenris
Mar-02-2013, 09:46
you running a mod? if so that might be crashing it.

no I dont run Sweet Fx

Yes, i have the "improved clouds" mod. I am also running sweetfx.
Howerer, disabling these have no effect.

Alice
Mar-02-2013, 10:16
Hi all/ Mastiff; I have, since yesterday, removed the MS update KB2670838, and reverted to the pre-update windows.

However, I'm tempted to try your suggested fix in the OP. Can anyone advise how I can force the update to occur again?

Just run "Windows Update" from the START>All Programs list, or if you use IE in "Tools>Windows Update". After you run it you should see it in your list of updates to be installed again.

@Mastiff: Thanks for the help, but no joy for me :(. Followed instructions. I had newer versions of the files, so I uninstalled .NET 4.5 and VCx86 and 64 and used the "redist" to install both. DirectX same.

With SweetFX installed Cliffs crashes. Not there? Runs for at least 30mins (length of test).

For me the conflict appears to be with SweetFX which is a shame - subtle difference, but nice. Back to vanilla, not that there's anything wrong with that :getaway:.

If it turns out that vanilla is also unstable with the MS patch installed I will also re-re-revert and wait until the next one. The improvements may be terrific, but if I can't get it to run the enhancements are unhelpful obviously.

EDIT: Even without SweetFX I get about 20mins tops - launcher crash. So, uninstalled update, re-added SweetFX. So 50-50 joy :/.

Fenris
Mar-02-2013, 14:08
Update:

I installed IE10, it works and does not crash when update KB2670838 is installed.
For CLoD, i have tested with and without mods and sweetfx, reinstalled the components as described by the OP. I have also deleted the cache and verified game files integrity.
But no no avail, CLoD will simply not run. I just get a black screen, and am eventually returned to windows without any error message.

I have removed KB2670838 and everything is working fine, i'll try to reinstall sometime in the future.
Hopefully some other updates will come along that fixes my problem before the functionality provided by update KB2670838 becoms absolutely necessary.

56RAF_klem
May-01-2015, 02:22
Is this thread still relevant? I am running latest Windows 7 Home premium + regular updates.

I am having crashes lately, probably due to my Virtual Cockpit. It doesn't seem to happen with a simple VC like compass only but I am checking on other possibilities. I do not see this Update listed in my 'Uninstall Programs' listing.

ATAG_Lolsav
May-01-2015, 06:23
It is still relevant, to uninstall kb2670838. Having it on nothing comes good, having it off, keeps my crashes away in clod.