PDA

View Full Version : Sound - 5.1 Surround

92 Cdt. Kiwikillemoff (QJ-Z)
Mar-05-2013, 16:16
Hi All,

I have just set up 5.1 surround after only using headphones till this point.

The rear speakers do not play any engine or environment sounds in-game. The most I think I have heard is the sound of another aircraft warming up in the distance at the airfield.

Is this the norm? Or am i missing out on full surround sound?

Any thoughts or tips please

Thanks

Kiwi

Vencejo
Mar-06-2013, 16:14
Hi,
you can check in conf.ini, under [sound], speakers (not Speakers) = 3.
3 = 5.1 sound.

Mar-06-2013, 16:31
Cool, thanks for that. Id given up hope on anyone helping.

I did change it to 4, as per a il1946 config file I found online. Which did nothing.

I'll give that a go when I get home from work tonight

thanks again

Kiwi

ATAG_Headshot
Mar-06-2013, 20:46
Any idea what you need for 7.1?

Mar-06-2013, 21:17
Hey there, not sure about the 7.1

There has not been much response to this thread. I was hoping someone who is already using surround sound could tell me how high the volume is from the rear speakers is.

Maybe everyone plays with headphones, plenty of people have looked at the thread.

if you got to the link below you can see a break down of what the different config file settings mean. Scroll down from the first post. Its in German but you get the idea. As you will see there is not mention of 7.1, but there is headphones, desktop, quadrophonic and surround. Maybe it s just the desktop setting. I will try changing it again tonight after work...

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?2548-The-config&highlight=surround+sound

[sound]
SoundUse=1
; use sound
SoundEngine=1
; value 1
Speakers=4
; [0|1|2|3|4] 1=headphones 2=Desktop 3=quadrophonic 4=surround

Vencejo
Mar-07-2013, 13:16
In very first versions, we could manually select the sound system.
In Spanish we had these options, with their equivalent in the conf.ini:
0 auriculares
1 stereo
2 cuadrafonico
3 envolvente
4 perifonia de 6 canales
5 Cubo 8 canales
6 ambisonico

Adjust volume system (by vencejo :D ) (i use =3)
Check game volume is very up.
Then, put all 5.1 headset control volume to 0.
I turn my head (with TrackIR) and start to increase the volume of a channel.
When appropriate, I continue with the other channels.

Sorry if this is not what you ask, but I understand very little English.

Mar-07-2013, 17:33
Thanks for that. I put my setting to 3, which is what the OS/desktop is running. In my case 5.1

It makes a difference, but only when I turn my head using track IR. Im guessing that the reason there is not much sound from the rear speakers is that most of the noise is coming from the engine. So its all relevant to head direction moving to the different speakers in relation to where the engine is.

I will have a look and do a little google translate for spanish :thumbsup: at play around with adjusting the volume as you describe.

kiwi

MadTommy
Oct-25-2013, 06:38
After some discussion on TS Septic believed there was an issue with 5.1 sound, not hearing hits from behind and that switching to stereo gave better results. I tried it and agreed, sound was richer and coming from all the speakers. But i want to try and get 5.1 working before i dumped it..

I've just done some testing and the surround sound in pretty fubar for me at least. I have a pair Kave Roccat headphones, true 5.1. They have a nice control device that allows you to control the volume of each channel; Centre, Front, Rear & Sub.

I have a Creative x-Fi sound blaster xtreme music sound card. Set to 5.1

When in game i tested the different channels and had some interesting results.

When look forward I was only receiving engine noises from Front & Centre channel. Rear & Sub were totally silent. However if i looked to my 6, i was getting sound in the Rear channel too, i.e surround sound was working differently while looking back to how it was working looking forwards. ???????????

I looked in my conf.ini [sound] section, speakers was set to 1. I also noticed i had two entries for speakers. one near the top with a capital S and one near the bottom with a small s. I set them both 4.

In game nothing changed from this change. Still no rear sound looking forward.

I need to do some further testing with other sounds rather than just my own engine... maybe that will show up different results.

Can anyone shed any light on this subject. There are a lot of option in the [sound] section, maybe something else needs tweaking?

Thanks for any input.

[sound]
SoundUse=1
DebugSound=0
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=4
Placement=0
SoundFlags.reversestereo=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=14
ObjectVolume=7
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=1
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=0
SamplingRate=0
NumChannels=2
SoundExt.occlusions=1
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=1
SoundExt.volumefx=1
SoundFlags.voicemgr=1
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=8
Channels=1
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.8
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=1
ActLevel=9
MicLevel=10
SoundFlags.UseRadioChatter=0
SoundFlags.AutoActivation=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0
speakers=4
vgMaster=15
vgMusic=15
vgVoice=15

Headshot
Oct-25-2013, 10:10
This must be a single mans thread. There is no way in the world the wife would let me play without headphones. It's to bad though, I bet it sounds great with full size speakers and a sub.:thumbsup:

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-25-2013, 10:33
This must be a single mans thread.

Im married, using headphones of course, but 5.1 headpones. Theres some good on the market and not too expensive.

MadTommy
Oct-25-2013, 10:41
This must be a single mans thread. There is no way in the world the wife would let me play without headphones. It's to bad though, I bet it sounds great with full size speakers and a sub.:thumbsup:

Married.. with 5.1 headset!

This is 2013 :P