PDA

View Full Version : Cant find the thread about the zooming issue...

Kling
Mar-11-2013, 06:16
A while a go the question about the zoom feature arised and since this is a pretty good question to me and I cant remember what the answer was, I tried to find it today but I cant so sorry for asking again.

I understand it is for a later patch of course.
How difficult is it for TF to rearrange the smooth zoom function to be mapped to two buttons only? Zoom in and zoom out a la ROF style.

Please spare me all the answer about that this possibility is already in the game when holding down the mouse button etc etc or whatever it is (I know the mouse is included in the function to make it work now). That is not what Im asking here ( Sorry about adding that sentense but if I dont I will get all these replies"You can already do this by doing this or that")

Is this possible for TF and do they agree that it would be desireable :)

Osprey
Mar-11-2013, 07:43
There are a few programs which will already do this for you. Zoom2Key is one I think.

Kling
Mar-11-2013, 07:48
There are a few programs which will already do this for you. Zoom2Key is one I think.

How does it work?

ATAG_Septic
Mar-11-2013, 09:48
Hi Kling,

An in-game option would be great but I suspect that's unlikely to appear soon via a Mod.

I use JoytoKey, which enables the setting of keys coupled with mouse movement. It's quite simple to set up two joystick keys to emulate a smooth FOV in and out. The program is light on resources and I've never experienced any associated problems.

Thrustmaster Target software is able to do the same but I find JoyToKey is much better at enabling a slow zoom using only two keys.

Cheers,

Septic.

Marmus
Mar-11-2013, 10:15
I hate to plug my own videos, LOL...

does this help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw1onDEzlXU

Kwiatek
Mar-11-2013, 12:39
Yea it would be great if someone could make it assigned by any button inside game engine without any external software.

I have no idea why 1C made such stupid thing to assing zoom with mouse movement not changable with any other buttons or keys.

Maby in future mods there will be possible. I hope so.

Doc
Mar-11-2013, 13:37
It is already in CoD you need to setup your controls to do it. I have CH products and the CH Manager easily allows you to utilize this.

Kwiatek
Mar-11-2013, 14:07
It is already in CoD you need to setup your controls to do it. I have CH products and the CH Manager easily allows you to utilize this.

Unfortunately my saitek soft dont allow to assing mouse movement on joystick buttons :(

Recoilfx
Mar-11-2013, 14:08
Use xpadder. It will cost a bit of $ though.

Oersted
Mar-11-2013, 16:54
It really should be in-game. Whenever the TF fellows have done all the other stuff that is higher on their priority list it would be cool if they could look into this. Such a basic function, not just for modern sims, but even ten-year-old ones. Truly baffling that the 1C programmers didn't put it in. Press "X" to zoom in, press "Y" to zoom out. Not exactly rocket science...

Kling
Mar-11-2013, 17:21
doesnt allow it for MS FFB stick either...

Everyone knows its not priority, im just bringing up the issue so its not forgotten ;)

1lokos
Mar-11-2013, 20:17
doesnt allow it for MS FFB stick either...

Kling,

You use TrackIR or HAT to control POV?

Sokol1

Kling
Mar-11-2013, 20:43
Kling,

You use TrackIR or HAT to control POV?

Sokol1

I use trackir..

Up and down on my POV is currently used for increase/decrease of RPM.

Why?

1lokos
Mar-11-2013, 23:57
Since you use TrackIR to POV use JoyToKey+HAT to Increase/Decrease FOV.

Move this increase/decrease RPM to left/righ HAT

Get JoyToKey http://www-en.jtksoft.net/

Hot to: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=493062&postcount=1

Sokol1

Kling
Mar-12-2013, 04:01
Since you use TrackIR to POV use JoyToKey+HAT to Increase/Decrease FOV.

Move this increase/decrease RPM to left/righ HAT

Get JoyToKey http://www-en.jtksoft.net/

Hot to: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=493062&postcount=1

Sokol1

Ok I will try that!

Will let you know! Thx Lokos!! :)

Archie
May-13-2013, 09:30
Quick question before I try this out:
Would joytokey work on a throttle axis? I have a spare one on my throttle quadrant...

1lokos
May-13-2013, 10:06
JoyToKey is essencially a keyboard emulator, he is able to turn axis (analog) input in keyboard input, basically a ON/OFF:

http://www-en.jtksoft.net/_/rsrc/1334500235823/advanced/KeySwitch-en.png
http://www-en.jtksoft.net/advanced

The point is: CloD ZOOM cant by mapped in axis.

JoyToKey (or HOTAS software...) are used to circumvent this using JoyToKey feature to turn buttons/HAT imput in mouse movement.

Sokol1

Kling
May-14-2013, 06:12
JoyToKey is essencially a keyboard emulator, he is able to turn axis (analog) input in keyboard input, basically a ON/OFF:

http://www-en.jtksoft.net/_/rsrc/1334500235823/advanced/KeySwitch-en.png
http://www-en.jtksoft.net/advanced

The point is: CloD ZOOM cant by mapped in axis.

JoyToKey (or HOTAS software...) are used to circumvent this using JoyToKey feature to turn buttons/HAT imput in mouse movement.

Sokol1

Oh btw, i got joy2ket to work well 1lokos, thx for your help!
The only issue i have is when i zoom out there seems to be no stop for how far out one can zoom out and it can look pretty weird but its easily overcome by zooming in again.

But a limit would be nice. Other than that, it works well!
Thx again!

ATAG_Headshot
May-14-2013, 08:07
You can use joy2key for the smooth zoom and then assign another button to the normal FOV in the sim. Smooth zoom all you want but when you want the normal just tap that joystick key and it instantly goes back.

56RAF_klem
May-14-2013, 11:39
You can use joy2key for the smooth zoom and then assign another button to the normal FOV in the sim. Smooth zoom all you want but when you want the normal just tap that joystick key and it instantly goes back.

Ditto, I have my X52Pro HAT set through Joy2Key to give zoom in on Up and zoom out on Down ( I have TrackIR so don't need Hat views). Also I have throttle roller set to give 90FOV in forward roll and 30FOV on rearward roll plus E button for 70FOV for fast 'Resets' although I mostly zoom. You can never have enough viewing aids to compensate for the lack of the ol' MkI eyeball :)

1lokos
May-14-2013, 14:15
The only issue i have is when i zoom out there seems to be no stop for how far out one can zoom out and it can look pretty weird but its easily overcome by zooming in again.

This issue is CloD bug - you do the same thing with mouse.

Perhaps using HOTAS (CH, Tm, Saitek) software instead JoyToKey one can do this ZOOM out based on time, ie, pressed button act for XYZ milesconds...

Sokol1

Oersted
May-16-2013, 05:14
I've gotten so used to my work-around (see below) that I probably won't be able to use proper zoom in and out buttons even if TF makes them one day... Hehe.

In CoD, to get the smooth zooming in/zooming out, you have to go into: Control options, Camera, And set "Hold to adjust view" to whichever button you prefer (keyboard or joystick) - If you then hold down that button and move your mouse forward or backward it will change the field of view in a gradual way. It is an ok option to have, but it would be much better if CoD allowed you to set a "zoom in"-button and a "zoom out"-button, as in - for example - RoF.

ATAG_Naz
May-25-2013, 11:41
I swapped my Saitek X52 system for a Thrustmaster Warthog a few months ago. With my Saitek I had the "smooth zoom" configured as per Marmus' handy video posted earlier in this thread.

When I got the Warthog I couldn't get the throttle mini mouse to work properly in Cliffs, nor get the smooth zoom to work in-game using any of the other buttons either when using the Thrustmaster TARGET software. I am able to get it to work using JoytoKey however so I am using that now. It means my software profiles are rather simple and I miss out on the you beaut fancy stuff you can do using scripts etc but its fine for me (wouldn't know how to do the fancy stuff anyway :) )

I use both smooth zoom set up (one of my Throttle 4 way switches zooms in when I press the button forward, and zooms out when I pull the button back). I also have the 3 default FOV settings (30/70/90) mapped to another 4 way switch as well and am happy with the combo set up now. I'll try to explain how I did it with Joy2key below (It should work just fine using any other joystick if you have the spare buttons);

Once you've installed JoytoKey it should recognise the stick/throttle as Joystick 1, 2 etc. You can press each HOTAS/stick button and the relevant label will highlight yellow in Joy2Key so its easy to figure out which button is labelled what in the JoytoKey software.

Double click on he relevant button you want to use as zoom in, and the "Assignment" window appears as below. The red box in the "mouse" tab binds the key to either mouse up (zoom out) or down (zoom in). Experiment later with how far down the scale you move it and the scale in the green box for zoom speed in game to your own tastes (The levels of scale in both red and green boxes seem to have an effect of movement/zoom speeds). Do the same for the button you intend to use for "zoom out" but moving the slider in the red box in the opposite direction obviously.

Now go into Cliff's key bindings and map "Hold to adjust FOV" to BOTH the joystick buttons you intend to use for zoom in and out. Originally there is only one key that can be mapped. Set the button you intend using for "zoom in" (in my case: forward on the particular 4 way switch I use).... Then... hit "New" whilst "Hold to adjust FOV" is still highlighted.

You will now be able to map a second button to also have the same function...so map that to the button you intend to use for the opposite zoom. Voila!

I hope that is of some help guys and apologies if it isn't very clearly explained. I am definitely no teacher! :D

StiC
May-26-2013, 20:16
I can't remember who to credit for it, but I use this solution to zoom in and preset FOV to zoom out.

http://401squadron.boardforum.ca/t338-gradual-zoom-using-xpadder-and-field-of-view

StiC

Catseye
May-27-2013, 13:54
I swapped my Saitek X52 system for a Thrustmaster Warthog a few months ago. With my Saitek I had the "smooth zoom" configured as per Marmus' handy video posted earlier in this thread.

When I got the Warthog I couldn't get the throttle mini mouse to work properly in Cliffs, nor get the smooth zoom to work in-game using any of the other buttons either when using the Thrustmaster TARGET software. I am able to get it to work using JoytoKey however so I am using that now. It means my software profiles are rather simple and I miss out on the you beaut fancy stuff you can do using scripts etc but its fine for me (wouldn't know how to do the fancy stuff anyway :) )

I use both smooth zoom set up (one of my Throttle 4 way switches zooms in when I press the button forward, and zooms out when I pull the button back). I also have the 3 default FOV settings (30/70/90) mapped to another 4 way switch as well and am happy with the combo set up now. I'll try to explain how I did it with Joy2key below (It should work just fine using any other joystick if you have the spare buttons);

Once you've installed JoytoKey it should recognise the stick/throttle as Joystick 1, 2 etc. You can press each HOTAS/stick button and the relevant label will highlight yellow in Joy2Key so its easy to figure out which button is labelled what in the JoytoKey software.

Double click on he relevant button you want to use as zoom in, and the "Assignment" window appears as below. The red box in the "mouse" tab binds the key to either mouse up (zoom out) or down (zoom in). Experiment later with how far down the scale you move it and the scale in the green box for zoom speed in game to your own tastes (The levels of scale in both red and green boxes seem to have an effect of movement/zoom speeds). Do the same for the button you intend to use for "zoom out" but moving the slider in the red box in the opposite direction obviously.

Now go into Cliff's key bindings and map "Hold to adjust FOV" to BOTH the joystick buttons you intend to use for zoom in and out. Originally there is only one key that can be mapped. Set the button you intend using for "zoom in" (in my case: forward on the particular 4 way switch I use).... Then... hit "New" whilst "Hold to adjust FOV" is still highlighted.

You will now be able to map a second button to also have the same function...so map that to the button you intend to use for the opposite zoom. Voila!

I hope that is of some help guys and apologies if it isn't very clearly explained. I am definitely no teacher! :D

I created this script in my warthog for the throttle hat switch. No other external programs required.

MapKey(&Throttle, MSR, CHAIN( R_CTL+'-', D(), AXIS(MOUSE_Y_AXIS, 15, 30)));
MapKey(&Throttle, MSL, CHAIN( R_CTL+'-', D(), AXIS(MOUSE_Y_AXIS, -15, 30)));

works like a charm

ATAG_Naz
May-27-2013, 21:17
Fantastic Catseye, I'll give that a crack. Thanks mate :thumbsup:

Catseye
May-27-2013, 23:22
Fantastic Catseye, I'll give that a crack. Thanks mate :thumbsup:

I should have added that in order to get the mouse zoom view to activate, I assigned a CONTROL key to toggle the mouse on/off in:
Control Optiions/Camera/Hold To Adjust Field of View
If you look at the script you can see where it toggles the CTL first then the mouse moves the view via the hat switch.

If you assign a key (CTL) for example in the Camera/Hold To Adjust Field of View - press that key and move your mouse around - you will see the view zoom in and out. I just assigned that to the Throttle Hat Switch.
Hope this makes sense.

Let me know if successful.
If not, I can send you the complete script so you can work with it.

Cheers,

djdalton
Mar-02-2015, 18:21
Naz,

I don't know if you're still playing the game, but I want to thank you for your clear, concise explanation about zoom. I now have it configured and it will help tremendously...(I hope).

Thank you, sir.

1lokos
Mar-02-2015, 20:29
I don't know if you're still playing the game, ...

In this three years the things has changed, no additional program needed: :thumbsup:

http://s21.postimg.org/slg6ebhvb/FOV.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image hosting 20mb (http://postimage.org/)