PDA

View Full Version : Newb Graphics/Graphics Card Question

Haggart85
Mar-12-2013, 20:12
Still tinkering around with the search function but I don't think this question has been asked...at least in this form. Anyway, here's my question. Currently my system specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K OC'd to 4.0 GHz
RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3-1600
Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (running the 301.42 Drivers)
HDs: 2 Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps (I use one for Windows + games/programs, the other is a backup for my files...music, pics, work stuff, etc.)

Seeing as I like eye candy, I've upped my graphical settings and am now chasing getting better frame rates with the increased visuals. I was lucky enough to have a rather generous friend who while upgrading his rig, sold me his "old" Asus 1GB 560Ti for $20. Since I mostly play Rise of Flight, Cliffs of Dover and 1946 it doesn't sound like I'd get much of an improvement with the 560Ti in those titles (obviously '46 won't show much of anything seeing as I already exceed the requirements, ha!)? My question is that should I install the 560 in my rig? Go SLI with the 460s? SLI with the 560s? Or sell the 560 and save my money for a better graphics card/cards?

I apologize if this been asked before but I'm having a devil of a time trying to figure out what to make sense of. CloD seems to be more CPU intensive? Or is it just poor optimizations? Like I said, I'm struggling to figure out what I should be upgrading in my rig (if anything) or just back off on the graphical settings to get better frame rates?

For the record, I do know a bit about getting the best performance out of my PC...currently with Firefox running I've got 59 processes running, 16% memory usage according to Task Manager showing all processes, heh. I'm just trying to make sense of this since I'd like to get myself setup a little better to join y'all in the skies online!

Falco
Mar-12-2013, 20:41
Install the 560 and never go sli, save up for a 670 or better

92 Cdt. Kiwikillemoff (QJ-Z)
Mar-12-2013, 22:04
+1 to what Falco said! :thumbsup:

ATAG_Torian
Mar-12-2013, 22:43
Other than ur graphic card ur rig is very good. As has been stated forget about sli and save ur money for a GTX670 2GB vram or better. U will then be able to crank everything up.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-12-2013, 23:07
+1 to Falco, Kiwi, and Torian.

I had two 560Ti's but was never happy with SLI, despite some excellent advice re settings by Rick Russki over at the banana forum. The two cards ran very warm, and I experienced microstutters despite fairly good framerates. The single 560Ti actually ran smoother than two in SLI!

My current GTX 680 (2 Gigs) runs much cooler than even a single 560Ti and runs Clod at full settings in 1920 x 1080 res very well, even when running down through the city streets. I think the GTX 670 4 gig card would be better value for Clod IMHO.

Wolfskid
Mar-13-2013, 06:28
+1 @all. And Haggart85, I have a 670GTX with the newest Driver and can only say: The best Idea I ever had was to bought this one. Okay it is not cheap, but it is for 3 or more years.....

A nice Springtime....

Wolfskid

Haggart85
Mar-13-2013, 19:50
Alright, thanks for the all recommendations everyone. Like I said in one of my other posts, this community is incredibly warm and welcoming. Thank you all again!

Just a quick question, for those of you who rocked the 560, any recommendations for graphical settings?

I'm sticking with mostly medium, a few highs but I can't seem to figure out what is the real framerate killer.

ATAG_Lolsav
Mar-13-2013, 20:04
can't seem to figure out what is the real framerate killer.

In short: Shadows

ATAG_Torian
Mar-13-2013, 20:33
In short: Shadows

Agreed, also turning vsync off will get u better fps but the screen tearing is hard to live with.

ATAG_Bliss
Mar-13-2013, 20:49
Hi Haggart,

A big +1 to what everyone else has said.

As I've recently upgraded to a 680 GTX, you might check out this thread: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3286

Pretty damn cheap!