PDA

View Full Version : CLoD Sound Engine

TWC_BikerJack
Mar-15-2013, 05:07
Hi all,

Can anyone throw any light on the type of sound engine used in CLoD? Reason for asking is that I have just purchased a Logitech wireless headset - I was fed up with getting tangled up with wires whilst flying and the much lighter set I was using was not "rock solid" on my head so Track IR would sometimes go off centre as the wire snagged and the headset moved slightly. I have the Pro Clip attached to the headset to avoid wearing a hat.

The Logitech headset allows 7.1 surround sound which is terrific but I am not certain that CLoD can use this faciity? In IL2 you could change the sound parameters but in CLoD you can only adjust the volume of "sound", "voice" and "music".

The overall effect with the new headset is far better with excellent clarity in game, and on Teamspeak, but I just wondered if there was a way of optimising the overall sound within CLoD to get the best out of the technology?

Thoughts?

Thanks if you can assist.

Bikerjack

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Mar-15-2013, 06:28
I'm considering wireless H.Phones too - for the same reason - cabling!

Any recommendations? I want to be sure the wireless connection is solid, sometimes I hear cut-outs on TS from people that use wireless, it seems more likely to produce data loss...

TWC_BikerJack
Mar-15-2013, 09:22
I'm considering wireless H.Phones too - for the same reason - cabling!

Any recommendations? I want to be sure the wireless connection is solid, sometimes I hear cut-outs on TS from people that use wireless, it seems more likely to produce data loss...

Only got it yesterday so can't really give a full report just yet. Seems OK though. Mine is the Logitech G930 set. It had some very good write-ups and is a very nice piece of kit. Played for about 2 hours last evening on the ATAG server without a glitch. Differential between engine sound, radar messages and teamspeak conversations were very distinct and clear as a bell. The software has a graphics equaliser built in and lots of fine tweaking adjustments for your own voice and other inputs/outputs.

I believe the surround sound may indeed be working to a degree since I could adjust front, side and rear intensity. I sat on the ground with cockpit open while on <rr and could easily detect the location and direction of aircraft flying around and directly above.

On the face of it, a good investment but will report if any problems occur over the next week or so.

Just found this post from Vencejo:

"Re: Sound - 5.1 Surround

Hi,
you can check in conf.ini, under [sound], speakers (not Speakers) = 3.
3 = 5.1 sound. "

There are two "speakers=1" entries in my Conf.ini file under [sound] - should I change both? Seems there is no information about 7.1 at present?

TWC_BikerJack
Mar-22-2013, 05:34
Finally got my system back up after a Win 7 boot manager problem and can report on headset performance. Having now downloaded the TF Mod (which is looking great - thanks to all!) I was able to test the set up last night on ATAG server.

There were 88 players when I joined the server and I had the highest graphic settings set in the video menu. Unfortunately, I had a problem with screen freezes and stutters which made the game unplayable. Not sure if the sound set up was causing the problem. I reduced the graphic settings to medium and this seemed to improve the performance. I changed the [SOUND] speakers setting back to 1 in the Conf.ini file. I did have it set at 3 for surround sound but not sure what is correct and what setting will optimise the sound performance?

Later I went back in with fewer players and all seemed fine on high graphics settings.

Inconclusive I know but I am beginning to believe that the internet connection was causing the stutters and screen freezes due to the number of players on line and not the wireless headset. Am I right in thinking that many users can affect the performance? I have a Devolo plug in set up for the internet running through the electricity circuit - perhaps I need to upgrade to a faster connection. The router is downstairs so I can't connect directly with an ethernet cable without major cable routing through the house and the Devolo system is better than a wireless solution due to the distance between router and wireless "receiver".

Would appreciate any input on the above. Will test again tonight.

Thanks again for the MOD - brilliant!

Mastiff
Mar-22-2013, 17:52
"Re: Sound - 5.1 Surround

Hi,
3 = 5.1 sound. "

There are two "speakers=1" entries in my Conf.ini file under [sound] - should I change both? Seems there is no information about 7.1 at present?

Hi,
3 = 5.1 sound. "
?

TWC_BikerJack
Mar-25-2013, 04:38
Thanks Mastiff but I have tried that and seems to make no difference. Will set it again following the new Win 7 install.

Anyway, I decided to completely reinstall Win 7 from scratch and then proceed to set the system up as I required. Installed CLoD from my original disc purchase and added the ATAG MOD. Much better, everything runs well without stutters or freezes.

However, I have lost the ability to choose the OS on boot up. I have Win XP on one HDD and Win 7 on an SSD. I know I can go into BIOS to change the boot order but I used to have a choice on the black screen "Loading operating System". I have researched the net for info on bcdedit syntax but find it all a tad confusing and I don't want to mess the boot system up again.

You are obviously a bunch of very clever guys and I wondered if anyone could help me with the exact cmd syntax to perform this task? I can boot into Win 7 (C) or XP (D) and then get to the cmd (dos) window but not sure what to type in to achieve the boot choice I require.

Any "gurus" out there who can help? I know this is not necessarily the right place to ask the question but, fingers crossed, someone may be able to assist.

Also, am I right in thinking that the " meshlod" line in conf.ini should be set to "1" for better visual on target aircraft?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bikerjack

9./JG52 Ziegler
Apr-06-2013, 08:20
Were your screen freezes and stutters ongoing or actual launcher crashes? If they were, Phil has written up a list of things to check if you have that problem. I was having quite a bit and found that the launcher exe >properties>compatability was set to winXP service pack 2 when it should be XPservice pack 3 (even though I have Win7 64). That helped and for some reason enabling Vsync and SSAO stoppedthe freezes and crashes completely. I wish I could tell you exactly what stopped it but now that it's running really well, I don't dare to find out.:D