PDA

View Full Version : Fiat CR.42 and G.50 field mods.

GerritJ9
Mar-15-2013, 11:55
Several years ago the German "Flugzeug Classic" did an article about the RA involvement in the BoB. One of the things mentioned was that both CR.42 and G.50 required the fitting of pilot armour before being allowed to see combat. I will dig out the article for the exact armour weights (they were quoted in the article). Out of interest, have these weight increases over standard been incorporated into the new FMs for these planes? From memory, the weight increase was about 30 kg for the CR.42, more for the G.50.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Mar-15-2013, 12:28
FYI, some really interesting information on the RA in action here: http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/falco_bob.htm . Note, in particular, the "Information kindly provided by Giovanni Massimello." It's interesting to read how similar the record of the attacks (and the damage done to aircraft) is to what we experience in the game!

After several attacks the BR.20 circled, losing height, and finally crashed into a wood some 10 miles east of the town

Indicates that a couple of passes were required to bring the BR.20 down

made a stern pass on another, which fell away, diving towards the coast. He chased it, expended all his ammunition, saw four bombs fall away and the undercarriage drop. Mortimer, who had previously made a head-on attack, hitting one aircraft before engaging Norths opponent, then attacked this bomber. The bomber then caught fire and dived into the sea

Also indicates multiple passes required to bring it down...

The list goes on in the text....

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Mar-15-2013, 13:38
Salute

The CR42 is not yet flyable.

The G-50 has been extensively revised, the engine is now performing as it should, engine limits have been increased to historical at 2520rpm and 890mmHG boost.

It is still a 'Crap Plane', but it is a fun one which can give a Spit or Hurri a surprise if they are not careful... :devilish:

Flanker35M
Mar-15-2013, 13:54
S!

Fiat G.50 saw quite extensive service in FiAF and pilots liked it's flight characteristics but complained a bit on the lack of power and "puny armament". Propably 2 x .50cal MG was not enough and their reliability left some to desire for. Still the Fiat achieved a very high K/D in our service. If I recall right it was, excluding losses to AAA, quite good 48:1. Will be nice to check the performance against the numbers I have from FiAF tests. But sounds good the plane received attention as it was not a totally crap plane :D

GerritJ9
Mar-15-2013, 14:53
Found the relevant issue of "Flugzeug Classic", 12-2010. The article mentions 17 kg of pilot back armour added to the CR.42, 25 kg to the G.50. Not as many kgs as I thought!