PDA

View Full Version : Launcher crashes with Sweet FX installed.. pre and post FS MOD

jjohnson241
Mar-18-2013, 19:38
Hi Guys,
I was using SweetFX (happily) until the last round of Windows updates. I've backed out the KB2670838 and IE 10 updates and I'm left with Launcher.exe crashes with SweetFX. Repaired DX and .Net to no avail. Reinstalled SweetFX to no avail.
Apparently there's a compatibility issue with SweetFX and Win 7 x64. I'm running an AMD 7950 video card. The FS MOD has greatly improved the colors in COD but the lack of AA is driving me crazy.
Has anyone gotten a handle on what the situation is with SweetFX since the MS updates? Is there a fix or workaround? Is FXAA a viable substitute for SweetFX?
Thanks,
JJohnson241

ATAG_Bliss
Mar-19-2013, 05:06
Hi Guys,
I was using SweetFX (happily) until the last round of Windows updates. I've backed out the KB2670838 and IE 10 updates and I'm left with Launcher.exe crashes with SweetFX. Repaired DX and .Net to no avail. Reinstalled SweetFX to no avail.
Apparently there's a compatibility issue with SweetFX and Win 7 x64. I'm running an AMD 7950 video card. The FS MOD has greatly improved the colors in COD but the lack of AA is driving me crazy.
Has anyone gotten a handle on what the situation is with SweetFX since the MS updates? Is there a fix or workaround? Is FXAA a viable substitute for SweetFX?
Thanks,
JJohnson241

Well, from my experience you have 2 choices.

1.) Get rid of SweetFX/Inj and have the windows update (no launcher crashes)

2.) Try to get rid of the windows update fully and try SweetFX etc., again.

I'm doing number 1 and have yet to have a launcher crash. With the new patch, I really don't ever see myself needing SweetFx. I only used it for the colors.

jjohnson241
Mar-19-2013, 08:48
ATAG_Bliss,
I've removed SweetFX and am running now w/o crashes but w/o the windows update. I was under the impression that the windows updates were also causing launcher crashes, SweetFX notwithstanding.
Just verifying.. have you applied the windows updates, specifically IE 10 (which also implements KB2670838) and are now running crash free?
Thanks.

Foul Ole Ron
Mar-19-2013, 09:50
I was having the same issues as you yesterday - constant launcher crashes shortly after take-off. I backed out the KB update this morning and also made sure that AA in the game was switched off but left SweetFX on. I always had SweetFX and AA on in the game previously and not sure if that might cause a conflict or not. Got through a 30 min flight just now with a climb up to 18k, AI bomber engagement and some player 109s on me without any crash so we'll see. If any more crashes I'll drop SweetFX as Bliss advised.

jjohnson241
Mar-19-2013, 10:14
Foul Ole Ron,
With SweetFX in my game, the launcher crash would occur anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes from the start of the mission. I could not dectect a pattern as the crash occured over water and land, in combat and while just flying around. This behavior occured after backing out the windows updates and repairing DX and .Net.
I think the windows updates also DX10 (or .NET) to the degree that SweetFX became unstable, at least in Win 7 x64. According to the SweetFX documentation, SweetFX is supposed to work with DX9 only. DX10 and 11 are not yet supported. Same with FXAA but that injector has a DX10 BETA (which I've tried but don't like in comparison to SweetFX).

Anyhow, that's been my experience. If you continue to run SweetFX without launcher crashes. please let me know.
Thanks.

Edit: Check this thread (last post) at the Banana forum.
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=38915

Mattias
Mar-19-2013, 10:21
:salute:

I use injFX and I have had the same problem with the windows update. I did not try to uninstall injFX to see if it made a difference (I just unistalled the win update...and problem went away), but I would still recommend uninstalling the win update (or rather not installing it in the first place :D) regardless or the use of SweetFX or not.

Cheers/m

jjohnson241
Mar-19-2013, 10:51
Did you uninstall the entire Windows update or just the K2670838 and IE 10?

Mattias
Mar-19-2013, 11:32
Did you uninstall the entire Windows update or just the K2670838 and IE 10?

I unistalled both just to be sure, but I do suspect only removing K2670838 is necessary.

Cheers/m

jjohnson241
Mar-19-2013, 14:09
Initially I uninstalled both KB2670838 and IE 10. Crashes went away. I then reinstalled IE 10 and crashes returned. I looked at installed updates and lo and behold, KB2670838 was there, apparently as a result of reinstalling IE 10. I then uninstalled IE 10 and that uninstall took KB2670838 with it. Running now with IE 9 and no crashes.
Apparently KB2670838 in a preparatory update for IE 10. Other forum posters have also noted this and Microsoft has noted that "for some users" KB2670838 "may cause problems".
It remains unclear (to me at least) whether IE 10 as a stand alone causes launcher crashes or it's the combination of KB2670838/IE 10 or just the stand-alone K2670838 that's the culprit.

The real question.. can both updates be applied without SweetFX in the mix and without causing Launcher crashes?

Update: I reinstalled IE 10 via Windows Update and flew for 20+ minutes without Launcher crashing. I did not reinstall SweetFX. Appears then that IE 10 at least has no affect on the game and SweetFX is the cause of the crashes after updating to IE 10. Shame 'cause I really liked the SweetFX effects in the game.

Bokonon
Mar-19-2013, 18:00
I found that installing IE 10 reinstalls the update even after it's been uninstalled and hidden. It really is not a problem for me as I use Firefox almost exclusively. The windows update kb2670838 is actually a preparatory update for ie10 so if you have IE 10 you have the update basically.

Foul Ole Ron
Mar-19-2013, 19:32
Anyhow, that's been my experience. If you continue to run SweetFX without launcher crashes. please let me know.
Thanks.

I don't have IE10 installed so that update is nowhere near my machine - I only use Chrome. After backing out the KB, switching off AA in the game and keeping SweetFX installed I've been crash free. Did 2 approx. 1 hour flights today without any issues.

jjohnson241
Mar-20-2013, 11:14
I can confirm that my (re)install of IE 10 also reinstalled KB2670838. I've been running with both installed but without SweetFX and no crashes. IE 10 and/or KB2670838 are not compatible with SweetFX.
Thanks for the replies.