PDA

View Full Version : Can the reflections be toned down a bit?

MadTommy
Mar-19-2013, 11:52
Just had an hour or so online, overall the patch is greeeat!

Only thing I think is a little off is the reflections off planes from a distance seem a bit over the top. In general love them in theory, but at some distances they seem over done and the flash of the reflection is bigger than the plane. Anyone else finding this? I'll see if i can catch some fraps of it.
I hope they can be refined in later patches.

Thanks for a great patch.

Tommy

ATAG_Lolsav
Mar-19-2013, 12:18
Tommy have u seen this post from Buzzsaw? http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3777&p=38488&viewfull=1#post38488

I will ask you to please see it and then see if you still have the same opinion. Thank you for feedback.

Mattias
Mar-19-2013, 13:27
:salute:

The reflection effects seems to be working as intended for the vast majority, but different resolutions, video settings, setting MeshShowLod to 1 etc may give some users a different experience. The effect was tweaked a number of times during beta testing to avoid just that, but it's possible you use a configuration no-one of the beta testers used? :D

Can you please post your (above mentioned) settings?

With that said the effect is supposed to be quite strong, as it is in real life during a really sunny day (and all days in Clod are really sunny :thumbsup:)

Cheers/m

skouras
Mar-19-2013, 15:19
personally i love it
in my monitor it not seems to look overdone at least and not to be able to see it all the time
great feature:thumbsup:

Mattias
Mar-19-2013, 15:24
personally i love it
in my monitor it not seems to look overdone at least and not to be able to see it all the time
great feature:thumbsup:

:salute: Skouras,

happy to hear it's working as intended on your system :thumbsup:

Cheers/m

III/JG53_Don
Mar-19-2013, 15:55
Same here: Love the reflections and as someone stated before in another thread.... as soon as real overcast is possible in CLoD the problem solves itself :D
sunny and clear day = heavy reflections... thats my opinion

14./JG5_Droz
Mar-19-2013, 18:43
As a real life pilot, I can tell you that the reflections in game are absolutely realistic. I can't tell you how many times I've caught sun reflections off of objects that have just the right angles to give that sunglare off of. These objects have been up to 10, sometimes 15, nm away from me. On especially clear days, at higher altitudes, it can be even further out. I very much like these reflections. Excellent job. Tall highrises and skyscrapers are especially susceptible to these light reflections. You only need a very specific angle from an object to get the glare, and this object can be miles away and you will still see it. Heck, I remember during my initial training one day, I was out doing steep turns and actually used the reflection off of something in the distance as a point of reference.

ATAG_Naz
Mar-19-2013, 19:01
As a real life pilot, I can tell you that the reflections in game are absolutely realistic. I can't tell you how many times I've caught sun reflections off of objects that have just the right angles to give that sunglare off of. These objects have been up to 10, sometimes 15, nm away from me. On especially clear days, at higher altitudes, it can be even further out. I very much like these reflections. Excellent job. Tall highrises and skyscrapers are especially susceptible to these light reflections. You only need a very specific angle from an object to get the glare, and this object can be miles away and you will still see it. Heck, I remember during my initial training one day, I was out doing steep turns and actually used the reflection off of something in the distance as a point of reference.

That's excellent to hear mate. I love the reflections TF have added to the patch .... Knowing that they have taken such care in their research, and that RL pilots such as yourself agree with them in terms if realism is icing on the cake.

~S~

Mattias
Mar-19-2013, 19:11
Thanks for all kind words :)
We aim to please :salute:

Old_Canuck
Mar-19-2013, 19:35
PLEASE take the reflections off MY plane only. Especially when Mr. X is online :D

MadTommy
Mar-20-2013, 04:09

The reflection effects seems to be working as intended for the vast majority, but different resolutions, video settings, setting MeshShowLod to 1 etc may give some users a different experience. The effect was tweaked a number of times during beta testing to avoid just that, but it's possible you use a configuration no-one of the beta testers used? :D

Can you please post your (above mentioned) settings?

With that said the effect is supposed to be quite strong, as it is in real life during a really sunny day (and all days in Clod are really sunny :thumbsup:)

Cheers/m

cheers, i do recall messing with MeshShowLod some time back.. i'll check to see what it is set to, that might be the issue.

I've only ever sat in the back of a plane, so happy to take on board evidence of others. I'll check my settings and if i still feel the reflections are over the top, i'll post up my setup in case that is the issue.

Cheers lads.

Roblex
Mar-20-2013, 06:35
I have to say that my first flight after the patch was released (as in 10 minutes after) was from Manston and the sun was very low and when I turned back to make a pass over the field it was like being at a rock concert with bright flashes all over the field as literally *every* parked and human controlled plane flashed. Personally, as a pilot(lapsed), I think this is overdone. Yes you can get flashes from a long way away when flying in real life but you have to be in exactly the right place to see them and they are only occasional.

If real life worked like TFs reflections then the motorways and housing areas would be like rivers & ponds of diamonds :-)

Mattias
Mar-20-2013, 07:56
I have to say that my first flight after the patch was released (as in 10 minutes after) was from Manston and the sun was very low and when I turned back to make a pass over the field it was like being at a rock concert with bright flashes all over the field as literally *every* parked and human controlled plane flashed. Personally, as a pilot(lapsed), I think this is overdone. Yes you can get flashes from a long way away when flying in real life but you have to be in exactly the right place to see them and they are only occasional.

If real life worked like TFs reflections then the motorways and housing areas would be like rivers & ponds of diamonds :-)

Can everyone who thinks the effect is too strong please post their screen resolution, video settings and whether they use MeshShowLod 0 or 1? :)

Cheers/m

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Mar-20-2013, 10:36
I must be in the minority on this issue also as the reflections are way over done for me. Other a/c appear almost white or bare metal at a distance. Within 200m some color starts to become visible. Passing a/c look like they are firing flares. Resolution is 1920x1200, most settings on high.

Mattias
Mar-20-2013, 10:53
I must be in the minority on this issue also as the reflections are way over done for me. Other a/c appear almost white or bare metal at a distance. Within 200m some color starts to become visible. Passing a/c look like they are firing flares. Resolution is 1920x1200, most settings on high.

Resolution -check
Video settings -please specify your settings for: Model Detail, Visual Effects and Texture quality.
Conf.ini under documents/1c softclub/cod - Please let us know if you have set MeshShowLod to 1 or not.

Cheers/m

BlitzPig_EL
Mar-20-2013, 13:01
I'll check my settings and report after I get off work this evening.

I too find them to be over done, especially the twinkling effect of aircraft on the ground.

Others I have talked to that have tried the new patch, but don't come here, are feeling the same.

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Mar-20-2013, 13:05
High, high, original. MeshShowLod is default. I can post pics later.

LG1.Farber
Mar-20-2013, 14:04
I think the problem is proximity. Some times I see a far away flash and that draws me to an aircraft and this is good. However when you get close they look like they are covered in fairy dust. Far away it looks ok but the closer you get the more it looks a little over done. Maybe a video is more appropriate than a screen shot?

Mattias
Mar-20-2013, 14:20
I think the problem is proximity. Some times I see a far away flash and that draws me to an aircraft and this is good. However when you get close they look like they are covered in fairy dust. Far away it looks ok but the closer you get the more it looks a little over done. Maybe a video is more appropriate than a screen shot?

Videos are only helpful to a certain extent -better if we get your settings so we can see the effect you see and be able to tweak it from there :thumbsup:
A

Cheers/m

ATAG_Naz
Mar-20-2013, 19:35
... Other a/c appear almost white or bare metal at a distance. Within 200m some color starts to become visible. Passing a/c look like they are firing flares... ...

That's interesting, it doesn't appear like that at all on my system thankfully. It looks really good (and quite natural) on my machine but I can certainly see how things must seem overdone for you if that is how your system shows the effect.

It must be difficult as hell for TF to get this effect working well on so many different system variations.

Good luck Mattias!

BlitzPig_EL
Mar-20-2013, 21:09

Also MeshShowLOD = 1

MadTommy
Mar-21-2013, 05:40
MeshShowLod=0

Resolution=: 1680X1050, 59Hz

Model detail: High
Building: High
Land: High
Forest: V High
Visual Effects: High
Texture quality: Original
AA: Off
SSAO: On
Damages decals: High
Buildings: Unlimited
Land Shading: High
Grass: on
Shadows: on
Roads: on

Anything i should change to help?

And is AA working at all these days?

Cheers.

buster_dee
Mar-21-2013, 06:30
I flew both Spit and Hurry over London at 1900 hours, with clouds. I don't care for shiney, so I had full weathering on. I couldn't really make out the pattern, but sometimes the wings looked more weathered than ever--almost "bone dry." Other times, they looked like oil had been poured all over them. Of course, my monitor has some influence. I personally prefer the original game's (pre patches) look, but there are too many good things about this patch to make a fuss. I just wanted to mention this in case it was related to reflections.

Mattias
Mar-21-2013, 07:35
I flew both Spit and Hurry over London at 1900 hours, with clouds. I don't care for shiney, so I had full weathering on. I couldn't really make out the pattern, but sometimes the wings looked more weathered than ever--almost "bone dry." Other times, they looked like oil had been poured all over them. Of course, my monitor has some influence. I personally prefer the original game's (pre patches) look, but there are too many good things about this patch to make a fuss. I just wanted to mention this in case it was related to reflections.

This seems to work as intended -100% weathering gives you a pre patch shine. The "oil" is probably the environment reflecting on your canopy glass we introduced for added realism.

It's however not related to the topic of this thread :thumbsup:

Cheers/m

Mattias
Mar-21-2013, 07:40
It must be difficult as hell for TF to get this effect working well on so many different system variations.

Thank you for your kind words Naz/Opfer -the above quote is very true :D

Thank you for your settings MadTommy, Blitz_Pig, notafinger :salute: We will have a look to see what can be done.
MeshShowLod set to 1 might cause some problems, so I would suggest you who have it set to 1 to try and revert to 0. As a bonus you will also get a lot more FPS's to play with :thumbsup:

Cheers/m

LizLemon
Mar-23-2013, 21:44
Wotan on the sukhoi.ru forums posted this video. I think its worth reposting for reference purposes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r7u8LEMA4Bw#!