PDA

View Full Version : Dogfight over Folkestone

Bartoszcze
Mar-20-2013, 10:12
Over Folkestone things happen quickly and violently:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAIwqactE9I&feature=youtu.be

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-20-2013, 10:17
That was pretty intense! :stunned:

LG1.Klein
Mar-20-2013, 11:23
Does having an open canopy not make you more susceptible to pilot injury? I saw at least one if not two 20mm hits on your aircraft near cockpit(shrapnel damage possibly at least) but no damage to pilot? Not to mention however many 7.92 rounds came zipping by(but no shrapnel from those)/

:stunned:

Oersted
Mar-20-2013, 16:40
Nice movie, thanks! Too bad about the stupid white puffs that always appear in the outside view when you hit somebody, but until they unlock the cockpit-only view in the track files (NOT while flying of course!) we're stuck with those...

BTW, sorry for sounding stupid, but does the ATAG server allow icons? - I always have them turned off. But does this mean that others can see me from miles and miles away?

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-20-2013, 16:45
BTW, sorry for sounding stupid, but does the ATAG server allow icons? - I always have them turned off. But does this mean that others can see me from miles and miles away?

No, not at all. The icons could only be added afterward in editing the ATAG server track footage.

I/JG53_Friedric
Mar-23-2013, 00:14
Nice move but sorry to say i find it very unfair , that you can fly with pit open in a dogfight , cruising ok but in combat , you should have performance los and pilot should be killed faster when shot at .

Roblex
Mar-23-2013, 05:05
Nice move but sorry to say i find it very unfair , that you can fly with pit open in a dogfight , cruising ok but in combat , you should have performance los and pilot should be killed faster when shot at .

Yes that's right. Without that bullet proof canopy you should be more vulnerable to pilot kills :roflmao:

Oersted
Mar-23-2013, 07:11
RAF pilots sometimes flew with the cockpit open, also in combat. In the case of the Hurri it was to be able to escape more quickly in case of fire, which it was prone to.

Ohms
Mar-23-2013, 08:54
RAF pilots sometimes flew with the cockpit open, also in combat. In the case of the Hurri it was to be able to escape more quickly in case of fire, which it was prone to.

I have also read that some were so terrified of fire that they never closed the canopy, plus I believe only the windshield is made of bullet proof glass not the whole canopy please correct me if I am wrong.

Ohmie

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-23-2013, 09:00
I have also read that some were so terrified of fire that they never closed the canopy, plus I believe only the windshield is made of bullet proof glass not the whole canopy please correct me if I am wrong.

Ohmie

True. The canopy was made of Perspex -- very slim protection from bullets or flak.

Ohms
Mar-23-2013, 09:03
A quick search and all I can find is the Malcolm hood was made of Perspex not bullet proof glass, thx for the confirmation Snap.

Ohmie

Bartoszcze
Mar-23-2013, 13:47
The Polish pilots were used to flying with open canopies as their Pzl-11 fighters didn't have such luxuries as British planes, so I'm just trying to be historically accurate, though I understand it must be difficult not to be able to get some fresh air in a hot summer day over Hawkinge ;)

LG1.Klein
Mar-25-2013, 09:43
Yes that's right. Without that bullet proof canopy you should be more vulnerable to pilot kills :roflmao:

So what your saying is that shrapnel, that can be more easily or likely deflected via metal frame and yes even glass of cockpit, is no more protection then open cockpit with no barrier whatsoever between pilot and shrapnel? Let me put it this way. In the Army we wore helmets. These said helmets would not stop a bullet. But they would stop or at the least slow down or deflect shrapnel. So while they were not necessarily bullet proof they did offer some level of protection. Hence why I said that the pilot would seemingly be more vulnerable to shrapnel with an open cockpit versus the chance of deflection or reduced velocity if it had to go through the canopy.

:thumbsup: