PDA

View Full Version : Should the E-3B/E-4B have their engine sounds replaced?

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Mar-20-2013, 14:35
Salute All

We have had some comments on the sounds used by the DB601Aa engine which equips the 109E-3B and 109E-4B.

These are the original sounds which came with the game. We have not changed them.

Players previously did not experience the sounds, as the engine was not used in these planes, the standard DB601A engine sound was used.

We introduced these low altitude optimized engines to give players a different engine alternative, one which was historically in use during the BoB in 109's.

We understand some players have issues with these sounds.

Would players like to have the DB601Aa sounds replaced with those from the standard DB601A engine?

We expect in the future, to have all of the various engine sounds tweaked and improved.

Cheers Buzzsaw :salute:

LG1.Farber
Mar-20-2013, 14:54
Should not all the 109's with the exception of the E4/N be the same, as its the same engine? :recon:

9./ZG26Eicken
Mar-20-2013, 14:59
From what I have heard in game and comparing the sound to videos, the game already sounds pretty spot on.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Mar-20-2013, 15:02
Should not all the 109's with the exception of the E4/N be the same, as its the same engine? :recon:

No, the E-3b and E-4b have the DB601Aa engine. This engine had a supercharger optimized for low altitude performance, its Full Throttle Height, (unrammed) is 3700 meters. It produced more PS (horsepower) at lower altitudes, less up high. The supercharger turned at a higher rpm at lower altitudes, hence the different sound.

The E-3B and E-4B are the fastest aircraft in the game on the deck. (when not equipped with a bomb-rack) Their performance over 5000 meters falls off.

Of the other 109's, the engines are as follows:

109E-1: DB601A with 'Alten' or 'old' Supercharger. This was an older model supercharger with a Full Throttle Height of 4000 meters. (unrammed)

109E-3/E-4 DB601A with 'Neuem' or 'New' Supercharger. This was the newer supercharger with a Full Throttle Height of 4500 meters. (unrammed)

109E-4N: DB601N with Full Throttle Height of 4900 meters. (unrammed)

LG1.Farber
Mar-20-2013, 15:23
Very Interesting, I did not know this. So this is the Alts at which Ata drops off. I say keep it different if it was different. I guess spreading the word will help people to understand and therefore be more accepting of it.

(I called it New/Old Compressor as direct translation)
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/farber82/dbengines2.jpg

Kling
Mar-20-2013, 15:25
No, the E-3b and E-4b have the DB601Aa engine. This engine had a supercharger optimized for low altitude performance, its Full Throttle Height, (unrammed) is 3700 meters. It produced more PS (horsepower) at lower altitudes, less up high. The supercharger turned at a higher rpm at lower altitudes, hence the different sound.

The E-3B and E-4B are the fastest aircraft in the game on the deck. (when not equipped with a bomb-rack) Their performance over 5000 meters falls off.

Of the other 109's, the engines are as follows:

109E-1: DB601A with 'Alten' or 'old' Supercharger. This was an older model supercharger with a Full Throttle Height of 4000 meters. (unrammed)

109E-3/E-4 DB601A with 'Neuem' or 'New' Supercharger. This was the newer supercharger with a Full Throttle Height of 4500 meters. (unrammed)

109E-4N: DB601N with Full Throttle Height of 4900 meters. (unrammed)

If the job can be as well done as the it was with the Merlin in the TF patch then i say YES! :)

On top of this, what we also would need is an increase in windsound with increase of speed. I fly mainly airliners and the sound of the wind hitting the windshield is extremely loud. Even if there is a huge piston engine infront of me I would expect the wind noise to be fairly loud.. Anyway thats not what your question was about... Would you also tweak the external sound?!
Currently we have the sound bug in external sound. Half of the time, in external mode, you hear the supercharger and half of the time you dont.

This is how it should sound, and does exactly 50% of the time when you go from cockpit to external. Note the whining from the supercharger at 0:19! Beautiful sound!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzkYED8hMY

This is how it sounds like the other 50% of the time in external view Note the lack of supercharger sound. Sounds like a lawnmower.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yso_Kaf2UMg

This is very easy for everyone to test!

Take a 109 and fly level and then go on etxernal view and listen to the engine sound. Now go back in the cockpit and then back to external view and listen. On my computer, EXACTLY 50% of the times, the supercharger sound disappears. Its easiest to hear on flyby mode or while sitting on the ground with the canopy open and you have 109s flying above you like in multiplayer mode.

Buzzaw can you confirm this?

II/JG53_Volker
Mar-20-2013, 15:30
Well as with most things, Each to their own.

I say leave them as is, in the current patch. I think they sound better, and it is helps make the sim more accurate. I would also hope that it would encourage people to use the aircraft more for
their intended purposes low level strikes...

But thats just me... :bsign:

~S~
Volker

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Mar-20-2013, 15:31
Very Interesting, I did not know this. So this is the Alts at which Ata drops off. I say keep it different if it was different. I guess spreading the word will help people to understand and therefore be more accepting of it.

(I called it New/Old Compressor as direct translation)
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/farber82/dbengines2.jpg

All of the power outputs are also affected by the intake ramming effect which is achieved at higher speeds, so in effect, the FTH is higher than listed, (by approx. 700-1000 meters as determined by the game's physics engine)

LG1.Farber
Mar-20-2013, 15:33
All of the power outputs are also affected by the intake ramming effect which is achieved at higher speeds, so in effect, the FTH is higher than listed, (by approx. 700-1000 meters as determined by the game's physics engine)

For all aircraft?

ATAG_Lolsav
Mar-20-2013, 15:39
I know this is going out of the topic subject, but what the heck is the "ramming" effect you boys talking about? I know im ignorant, but im one who has the desired of abandoning that status :)

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Mar-20-2013, 15:41
For all aircraft?

Yes

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Mar-20-2013, 15:45
I know this is going out of the topic subject, but what the heck is the "ramming" effect you boys talking about? I know im ignorant, but im one who has the desired of abandoning that status :)

The higher the aircraft speed, the more air is forced into the intake manifold by the aircraft's passage through the atmosphere. In practice, you get a 'supercharging' effect.

The game has a physics engine which calculates how much of an effect this has on engine performance.

palker
Mar-20-2013, 16:58

if the aircraft is moving the total air pressure in the intake will be higher depending on the speed it flies or rather the mach number.

pt = p*(1+((k-1)/2).M^2)^(k/(k-1))

where
pt - total pressure, p - ambient pressure, M mach number, k - adiabatic index of air,

Edit you can see how pressure changes with Mach number if all other things are constant. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y+%3D+80000*%281%2B%28%281.4-1%29%2F2%29*x%5E2%29%5E%281.4%2F%281.4-1%29%29

ATAG_Lolsav
Mar-20-2013, 17:45
Thank you all for replys. As for sound, i think ill go along with what Kling wrote, if its possible to get rid of the 50% bug, great. I would rather the time and efforts of the team addressed elsewhere, or even to take that time just to have fun with what they help to create :)

ATAG_JTDawg
Mar-20-2013, 17:53

roflmao, it is hard to keep up sometimes

Kling
Mar-20-2013, 20:14
Thank you all for replys. As for sound, i think ill go along with what Kling wrote, if its possible to get rid of the 50% bug, great. I would rather the time and efforts of the team addressed elsewhere, or even to take that time just to have fun with what they help to create :)

Can you confirm that you have this 50% bug too?! Noone ever replied to my issues with the external sound. I posted that waay back on the 1c forum so I thought i was the only one having it...

Well im "glad" that you hear it too! ;)

ATAG_Slipstream
Mar-20-2013, 20:30
Can you confirm that you have this 50% bug too?! Noone ever replied to my issues with the external sound. I posted that waay back on the 1c forum so I thought i was the only one having it...

Well im "glad" that you hear it too! ;)

We are aware of the 50% bug, and it should be resolved in a future patch

~S~

ATAG_Lolsav
Mar-20-2013, 20:30
only by saturday i can test it

Kling
Mar-20-2013, 20:52
We are aware of the 50% bug, and it should be resolved in a future patch

~S~

Salute:salute:

ATAG_Colander