PDA

View Full Version : Game Lockups

JG14_Jagr
Mar-21-2013, 17:16
Have not played too much yet with the new MOD. What I have found mostly in SP is that I'm getting occasional pauses 1-2 seconds and less frequently I'm getting hard lockups. Pressing the ESC button crashes the game right to desktop.

Anyone else getting similar lockups? Its been so long since I playede COD regularly I'm wondering if there are conf.ini changes I should make that I have simply forgotten about.

MSI P67A-65D
Intel i5 2500K @ 4.2 Gig
8 Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM
XFX 6970 Video Card
Win7 64 Bit Home Ed
ATI 12.3 Driver Package (Updated to latest version)
WD Caviar 7600 RPM HDD
ATI CCC at DEFAULT settings

thee_oddball
Mar-21-2013, 17:25
Have not played too much yet with the new MOD. What I have found mostly in SP is that I'm getting occasional pauses 1-2 seconds and less frequently I'm getting hard lockups. Pressing the ESC button crashes the game right to desktop.

Anyone else getting similar lockups? Its been so long since I playede COD regularly I'm wondering if there are conf.ini changes I should make that I have simply forgotten about.

MSI P67A-65D
Intel i5 2500K @ 4.2 Gig
8 Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM
XFX 6970 Video Card
Win7 64 Bit Home Ed
ATI 12.3 Driver Package (Updated to latest version)
WD Caviar 7600 RPM HDD
ATI CCC at DEFAULT settings

before you installed the mod did you delete/empty your cache folder?

Zappatime
Mar-22-2013, 03:42
I re-installed Cod, as I was getting total lock--ups in game (before and after the tf patch); that got rid of the game crashes, but when I hit esc in a mission, it goes to desktop, I thought the game had crashed at this point and always restarted it to play another mission, on one occasion I hit esc again and to my surprise it went back into the game which was still running ok, a few presses of esc in and out of the game and eventually it seems to 'catch' the menu screen in game rather than dropping to desktop.

Next time you hit esc and it drops to desktop, just try hitting esc again and see if it goes back into the running game, it takes me a few times on the escape key to get back to the in-game menu, but always seems to work and keep the game running without a crash.

JG14_Jagr
Mar-22-2013, 17:41
I re-installed Cod, as I was getting total lock--ups in game (before and after the tf patch); that got rid of the game crashes, but when I hit esc in a mission, it goes to desktop, I thought the game had crashed at this point and always restarted it to play another mission, on one occasion I hit esc again and to my surprise it went back into the game which was still running ok, a few presses of esc in and out of the game and eventually it seems to 'catch' the menu screen in game rather than dropping to desktop.

Next time you hit esc and it drops to desktop, just try hitting esc again and see if it goes back into the running game, it takes me a few times on the escape key to get back to the in-game menu, but always seems to work and keep the game running without a crash.

Thats interesting, I decided to go with a complete re install and also reinstalled my graphics drivers as well. I'll see how it goes.

JG14_Jagr
Mar-23-2013, 16:53
Update: I decided to do a complete uninstall for COD. Deleted it from steam, removed left over folders, and deleted registry entries.

I then let steam re install and ran the game . I deleted the shaders are directed and applied the patch..

No crashes and mush smoother..

I would recommend a clean install for anyone that is coming back after being away for a while and may not remember what tweaks and changes they may have made to get the old COD working.

Marmus
Mar-23-2013, 17:07
Hey...thanks for that final input... I have been having similar issues, but never bothered to look into them....was having too much fun to take time to reinstall.

thee_oddball
Mar-23-2013, 17:29
Update: I decided to do a complete uninstall for COD. Deleted it from steam, removed left over folders, and deleted registry entries.

I then let steam re install and ran the game . I deleted the shaders are directed and applied the patch..

I would recommend a clean install for anyone that is coming back after being away for a while and may not remember what tweaks and changes they may have made to get the old COD working.

I always tell people this, its a good idea todo a clean install and then copy the entire install and keep it as a "clean" backup that way when there is any update you have a virgin install to put it on and ensure there are no "hangerons"

S!

Ploughman
Mar-24-2013, 17:12
Hi, thanks for the patch which has been widely well received.

I'm having stability problems though, my rig is below par, a quad core 2.4mhz, NVid GT9800 1GB, Vista32 and 4GB RAM, settings are medium when it comes to aircraft modelling and damage decals, as low as they go with landscape, I indulge in 1080x1920. Prior to this patch I would have CTDs, but not very often. Rarely had locks or stutters, the game wasn't rock solid but it was stable enough.

With the new patch, even after a clean install and cache clear out as recommended earlier in this thread, I get about 6 seconds of black screen at the beginning of every mission, though the mission is still taking place, and seemingly random CTDs all the time, like when cruising in clear skies over the Channel. Bombing leads to locks of several seconds as the visual effects occur. Prior to this patch I could bomb without issue. I'm thinking my GPU is simply getting overwhelmed? Does this patch represent an increase in load on a system and do I need to start reigning in my expectations on what I can expect in terms of eye candy, or is there something else?

Advice to invest in a better system a given. What can I do with the one I've got?

No.401_Speed (YO-R)
Mar-25-2013, 11:09
post deleted

Catseye
Mar-25-2013, 11:48
3.00 MOD is great gents. Thank's much to all those who continue to improve CoD.

I'm also now experiencing 1-2 second freeze frame, usually followed shortly after by a complete game lockup requiring a hard reboot, or crash to blue screen since installing the 3.00 MOD.

I verified CoD through Steam before commencing the install, I deleted my cache files including the Shaders folder, updated DXSetup twice, and checked that my GPU drivers were up to date.

Have not tried the complete uninstall and reinstall from Steam.

System specs:
CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2063 120mm LQ, AM3 Phenom II X6 1090T(3.2GHz), ASUS M4A87TD EVO MB, G.Skill Ripjaws PC3 12800 DDR3 1600 16 GB RAM, 2TB HDD, Dual 1 GB AMD Radeon HD 6870 (Crossfire) GPUs, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, Saitek X52 Pro stick/thrust/ rudder, Cyborg, 70 Sharp Quattron, TrackIR 5

Hi DNR,
Some folks have been experiencing problems after the last MS update KB2670838.
See this thread http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3528
Patricularly when used in conjunction with SweetFx.

I had to uninstall this update to make CLOD run.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Cats . . .

No.401_Speed (YO-R)
Mar-25-2013, 12:01
post deleted

Catseye
Mar-26-2013, 23:32
Thanks Cats,

I'll give that a try. I was just looking at my crash .dmp files for yesterday and it's big!!

Hi Cats,

I updated the .NET file and have already run the DXSETUP file that fixed the last Microsoft update problems. Ran a single mission after updating the .NET and crashed within 10 minutes. Last recourse is to reload the Steam version and start again.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

I tried the suggestions to roll back to the previous version of windows, then ran DXSETUP again and then repaired the .NET Framework 4. Now I have no profile and can't log into my own computer. I'm grounded for the foreseeable future.

Hmmm,
Bummer in spades.
If you rolled back to a previous version of windows (I'm taking it that you used the restore procedure), I believe that you can undo that restore (throught the restore function) to get it back to where it was.
Regarding the Microsoft update - you can just uninstall that one only update without rolling back to a previous version of windows. Go to: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\View update history\installed updates . . . . then select the one you want to uninstall and select uninstall at the top of the screen.

Hope all works out for you.

Cats . . .

ATAG_Naz
Mar-27-2013, 02:50

Thanks for posting this mate.... I will do a full uninstall/reinstall too when I get the chance. I have been getting those 1-2 second freezes too (mostly in single player, less so online).

Good post, thanks :thumbsup:

Wulf
Mar-29-2013, 06:32
This all sounds uncomfortably familiar. I recently returned to the game just before the release of the Team Fusion patch, after an absence of about 2-3 months. To my dismay I found the game would freeze, every time I attempted to play it, after about 3-5 minutes. Initially I thought it had something to do with the new video drivers I'd installed but the problem remained even when I switched back. I didn't have any problems with the game before this happened.

I'd really appreciated some advice about what to do now. If it's a case of re-installing the game, how exactly does one do that? Is it just a matter of uninstalling via the control panel and then going to the Steam Library and somehow re-installing the game, and then patching with the team Fusion patch? Alternatively, if that can possibly be avoided, should I attempt to remove the suspect MS update? If so, can that be done by uninstalling via the control panel or is it more complex than that?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

My system specs are as follows:

MS Windows 7
system type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core i5-3570K CPU@3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4c
Installed physical memory 16.0GB
GPU AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB

Flanker35M
Mar-29-2013, 07:00
S!

Wulf, removing the MS update did not do a thing or another for me. What was the culprit is that the MS update does not work together with SweetFX. Some say the SMAA injector works without problems. So I went the route of disabling SweetFX altogether. If you want to uninstall the MS update then go to Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall a program. There from left pane choose Installed updates and find the MS update by it's number and uninstall. Reboot required.

As of uninstalling the game. I would go to Steam and then choose Delete local content from the properties of IL-2. Some go and remove the registry keys, folders etc. as well. Then fresh install.

Wulf
Mar-29-2013, 10:30
Thanks Flanker.

Well, first of all I tried the SweetFX approach (I deleted the files) whaa which resulted in the game not loading. So then I tried to fix that problem by verifying the integrity of my files whaa . When that didn't work either I installed some old SweetFX folders I found lurking in my download repository. That seemed to fix the 'new problem' but still left me with the game freeze issue. So, I then located the 'update' suggested as the root cause of the freeze problem (KB2670838) and deleted it. To my complete amazement it actually fixed the problem but left me with a non-modded version of the game, presumably because I'd 'verified the integrity of my files'. So I then repeated the Team Fusion patch installation sequence and I now seem to be back in business :thumbsup: .