PDA

View Full Version : Best Patch... Ever!!

AKA_Knutsac
Mar-23-2013, 08:50
Thanks to all who worked on this. It's amazing, especially in light of the difficulties the "professional" development team was having. I can't recall a single patch in IL-2 history that's brought more overall improvement. Like many here I've read a ton of pilot memoirs and first hand accounts of air combat, and you guys have about nailed it. Been trying to find fault with the changes but really can't, everything's for the better.

Merlin engine performance (and sound) - Fundamentally it's all there, other tweaks to DM will just add to the immersion.
Contrails - Wow! Just like the newsreels. And another tactical consideration (visibility, surprise, intimidation)
Canopy reflections - At first I thought overdone, but driving around on a sunny day I consciously observed other cars, window, mirrors, etc. and now I think the effect is spot-on. A/C should be difficult to spot (as currently modeled), but reflected sunlight should be a dead give away (as you've now implemented).
General visibility/view distance/clarity - Can't put my finger on the changes, just better.
.303 mg sound - At first I was taken aback by the Vulcan cannon sound, but after listening to a real .303 on youtube (search "recovered Spitfire gun fires again"), I think you've got it pretty damn close. My only thought is that with eight guns firing at once, each with slightly different timing, the sound might not have been so "even" (if that makes sense).
Reflections on the instrument glass - very nice touch.

Anyway, fantastic work. You've injected new life into this sim.

V/R

AKA Knutsac

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Mar-23-2013, 14:18
. My only thought is that with eight guns firing at once, each with slightly different timing, the sound might not have been so "even" (if that m

I could sort this if TF wanted (wink, wink, nudge nudge)

Stereo modelling of 8 separate channels, each with a single gun. Each gun slightly off-calibrated for timing.
The channels could be progressively panned left to right, with the outer guns being fully panned away from each other.
Outer guns could also be given a tiny fraction of top-end EQ reduction to simulate the loss of HF sound over distance, and the relatively greater magnitude of lower freqencies which are structure borne through the aircraft.

The above would take me an hour, max to create, if I had the master sound file.

III./ZG76_Keller
Mar-23-2013, 14:27
I could sort this if TF wanted (wink, wink, nudge nudge)

Stereo modelling of 8 separate channels, each with a single gun. Each gun slightly off-calibrated for timing.
The channels could be progressively panned left to right, with the outer guns being fully panned away from each other.
Outer guns could also be given a tiny fraction of top-end EQ reduction to simulate the loss of HF sound over distance, and the relatively greater magnitude of lower freqencies which are structure borne through the aircraft.

The above would take me an hour, max to create, if I had the master sound file.

I believe that's pretty much how the sound was created.

RAF pilots described the 8 X Brownings as sounding like "ripping fabric" and the current sound certainly reminds me of that.