PDA

View Full Version : A TV for and Monitor

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Mar-26-2013, 10:17
Hi folks,

I'm a total novice when it comes to display hardware, and so, having seen some threads recently on these forums about such items, I thought I'd pool your collective knowledge to meet my own selfish ends.

I've currently got a Monitor which has 60Hz refresh and will support 1900x1080. I run windows and the game in this resolution.

Now, if I were to buy a larger screen that was NOT a PC monitor, bur rather a video-wall or a TV, would the resolution capability of that device restrict my game resolution, in the same way that the PC monitor does?

For example: This screen - which is a "video wall": http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/professional-lfd-displays/accessible/LH32MGQLBC/EN
The website indicates that it is capable of only 1366 x 768 (16:9) resolution. However, it's really a TV/ video device - so can windows/CloD still be set to run in 1900x1080, even thought the device has lower resolution?

I hope my questions are clear... I really am a complete novice here, so please treat my lack of understanding gently.

III./ZG76_Keller
Mar-26-2013, 12:15
Hi Philstyle, I would not recommend that display.

There are differences between computer monitors and televisions/commercial displays and I don't think you'd be happy with that display.

Computer monitors are designed to be viewed close up so their pixels are much smaller than the pixels in televisions. Also, going down from 1920 to 1366 will mean a substantial loss of quality.

For example, a 24" computer monitor that is 1080p and a 70" Television that is 1080p have the exact same amount of pixels, so since the 70" TV is much bigger so are the pixels. You will not be able to run 1080p on a 1366 monitor.

What size monitor do you have right now?

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Mar-26-2013, 13:21
What size monitor do you have right now?

Cheers for the feedback Keller. My monitor is 24" right now.

To preserve resolution I'd need something like this then>>> http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE37ES6300UXXU-spec ??????

As an aside note, it sounds like guys with TVs are getting some interesting results when it comes to visibility that those of us with Monitors are not getting.
I'm not sure that it's just down to lower resolution, because when I lower my res, I do not get improved dot/distance visibility.

III./ZG76_Keller
Mar-26-2013, 13:46
The reason they are getting better results is because the pixels are bigger.

There are ways to test this.

Do you own a fairly new television? Can you put a screenshot or a 1080p video from Cliffs of Dover on a USB drive or a DVD and play it on your Television? If your TV is YouTube enabled you could even just watch a video on it to get a feel for how it would look. The most important thing though is to watch it from the same distance that you will be sitting from a new computer monitor.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Apr-05-2013, 12:04
Interesting Keller. I have a bluray player hooked to the tv and it will show Youtube vid's in with the Netflix and PPV stuff. I just was watching some of the Clod vids and they look pretty good. I too was considering a new monitor and was thinking of an ISP panel such as Asus Pro Art 248Q. These are slightly slower but high quality. The other option would be a 120ghz refresh rate gaming monitor like the Asus VG248QE or BenQ 2420T.
Sorry about the hijack Phil. :salute: