PDA

View Full Version : Black Death track stuttering and bad FPS after TF 3.0

Flanker35M
Mar-27-2013, 12:55
S!

Discussed in chat about this with some guys. I was about to do some benchmarking for comparing Intel i7 3770K vs AMD FX8350 CPUs in different games. So I started off with the i7. Anyways, long story short. Fired up CoD, chose Black Death track and started the benchmarking. What I noticed was horrible stuttering and pauses, shadows being banded and whatnot. Also the FPS in all areas was way lower than in the vanilla game. Before TF I got like ~25fps minimum, +110fps maximum and around 55-60fps average. Now with TF 3.0 I got 8fps minimum, 81fps maximum and 44fps average. Quite a difference there!

I did install the patch by the book, tried with and without the Microsoft platform update, drivers and whatnot. In vain. So I was asked to start a thread and post my conf.ini so if the culprit is there. There it is below. Any tips appreciated! Flew online, no stutters whatsoever.

[core]
RandSeed=0
TexQual=3
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
Shadows=1
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
LandShading=2
LandDetails=2
Sky=3
Forest=2
VisibilityDistance=5
LandGeom=2
DrawCollisions=1
Water=-1
Effects=2
EffFlags.Light=1
EffFlags.SpriteRender=0
Grass=3
CordEffect=1
UseFog=0
UseLandCube=1
UseLandConnectedObject=1
LinearObjectManager=1
Roads=1
Sun=1
Clouds=1
EffFlags.LightSpritesProj=1
ShadowMapSize=5
TexFlags.AsyncLoad=1
TexFlags.ShowTexture=0
SimpleMesh.SWTransform=0
SimpleMesh.QuadTreeClip=1
SimpleMesh.InstancingHW=1
EffFlags.LightContextSprites=1
CloudsFlags.Detailed=1
TexFlags.CreateHDR=1
Decals=2
EffFlags.SWLight=0
TexFlags.CockpitOnePass=0
MegaTexture=0
TexFlags.Reflection=0
RenderTargetQual=3
MSAA=0
MeshStatics=3
MeshStaticsDetail=2
SimpleMesh.QTNoCompose=0
MeshFirstLod=0
MeshShowLod=1
SpawnHumans=0
TexFlags.SSAO=0
TexFlags.VSync=1
TexFlags.FastTransparency=1

[sound]
SoundUse=1
DebugSound=0
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=1
Placement=0
SoundFlags.reversestereo=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=0
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=0
ObjectVolume=7
MusState.takeoff=0
MusState.inflight=0
MusState.crash=0
MusFlags.play=0
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=0
SamplingRate=0
NumChannels=2
SoundExt.occlusions=1
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=1
SoundExt.volumefx=1
SoundFlags.voicemgr=1
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=8
Channels=1
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.8
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=9
MicLevel=10
SoundFlags.UseRadioChatter=0
SoundFlags.AutoActivation=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0
speakers=1
vgMaster=11
vgMusic=0
vgVoice=0

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-27-2013, 13:08
Hi Flanker,

The only thing that comes to mind is running the DXSETUP.EXE AND THE DOTNETthing-a-ma-jiggie.exe in the core folder's Redist folder. Plus I regularly delete the Shader subfolder from the Cache folder in the -Mod IL2 Sturmovik in Documents/1C Softclub, especially if I've changed any settings.

Snapper :salute:

Flanker35M
Mar-27-2013, 14:09
S!

I've run the DX and DotNet fixes to no use. Online I had no problems whatsoever though. Really strange.

ATAG_Slot
Mar-27-2013, 14:27
Hi Snapper
Apologies if this is a tad off thread but i can't get any tracks to work under the new TF 3.0 mod (which is great btw).
I was hoping to do a little benchmarking to my previous rig.

I did the patch install by the book too and the actual game is working fine but when i try and fire up a track nothing happens.
Vanilla 1c version was fine.

Any ideas really appreciated as i'm stumped?

ATAG_Lolsav
Mar-27-2013, 14:32
The only thing i have diffrent from you on graphic config is this:

Forest=4
MeshStaticsDetail=4

The sound has to be diffrent, since i have a 5.1 headset. But i dont have the bad stuttering you are talking about. Seems to be like a hot CPU? can you see if you can use some tool to speed up the fan over it? It might not help with maximum fps, but it can help with have less low fps.

My graphic card is older than yours, running a I7 2600k, HD 6970.

Kodoss
Mar-27-2013, 14:34
Did you also copied the records-folder into the "..\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD"-folder?

Dutch
Mar-27-2013, 14:35
I can't give any advice more than stated above, but I can say that all my tracks, including Black Death play fine with the TF patch. FPS is slightly better if anything, and as smooth as silk.

But on initial playback, I always pause the game to give some time for all the textures to load etc, then unpause. It's always been glitchy if I didn't do this, both pre and post TF patch. :thumbsup:

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Mar-27-2013, 14:59
Sounding like a broken record I know, but did you delete your cache folder prior to moving all your files over to the new "Mod" folder in 1cSoftClub?

ATAG_Slot
Mar-27-2013, 15:06
Did you also copied the records-folder into the "..\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD"-folder?

Hi Kodoss
Thanks for the reply
Yep, checked and the install auto copied them across.

Strangely annoying this.

Flanker35M
Mar-27-2013, 16:15
S!

I did exactly as the patch installation notes said. Not that I need those tracks, but the Black Death would be best for really straining the system. Also if you experience Tracks not coming up, make sure you do not have chosen Disable desktop composition and Disable themes in your Launcher.exe properties under Compatability.

ATAG_Slot
Mar-27-2013, 16:41
S!

I did exactly as the patch installation notes said. Not that I need those tracks, but the Black Death would be best for really straining the system. Also if you experience Tracks not coming up, make sure you do not have chosen Disable desktop composition and Disable themes in your Launcher.exe properties under Compatability.

Flanker you are a genius!
I owe you one.

Updated my Launcher properties and hey presto tracks now working again fine!
This has also fixed my control.ini access problem i had posted in an earlier thread so i will close that down with due credit to you.

(ATAG this might be worth a sticky in case anyone else encounters issues like this as I would never have worked this out myself)

i will do some benchmarking and check my graphics settings to see if i get similar results to you. I'm using nvidia 660ti

Many thanks again

Flanker35M
Mar-27-2013, 16:54
S!

You are welcome, always glad to help. Lolsav, the MeshStaticDetail is only for the houses, if setting Medium you get 2 as the value. So yours is Very High. Still trying to pinpoint the reason why Black Death runs like crap. Maybe should bite the bullet and do a complete re-install and start from scratch.

1lokos
Mar-27-2013, 17:01
Flanker,

I notice the same thing, loss of average 10 FPS between versions.

Clear cache, install TF patch, copy the 1c Soft CLub contend for MOD folder.
Set both versions in HIGH, use the same Conf.ini, ConfUser.ini, User.ini in both installs.
Clear cache again, run a Quick Mission, closed the game.
Start again, run "The black death" one time, run again and measure.
Do this at least five times for each version, alternating between both.
Some measures with KB2670838 installed, the last one without, not noticeable difference.

One thing to notice is that I too use HD 7970 3 GB with latest AMD drivers (+ i5-3570K, 8GB DDR3, win7/64).

Something related with this VGA?

Sokol1

Flanker35M
Mar-27-2013, 17:40
S!

Strange is that when playing the game itself there are no problems whatsoever. I flew online and had zero stuttering or pauses, it was smooth even with AAA fire and bomb exploding. Far fetched but can it be that tracks are made with different versions and then later patches just poop them up? I have zero problems in MechWarrior Online or EVE Online or War Thunder with the GPU and 13.3 Beta 3 drivers.

1lokos
Mar-27-2013, 22:36
S!
Far fetched but can it be that tracks are made with different versions and then later patches just poop them up?

To eliminate any incompatibility in "The Black Death Track" I record a small track in MOD version - Manston under heavy bombing - an use to measure FPS in both versions - and the performance drop still... :confused!:

Sokol1

Flanker35M
Mar-28-2013, 05:11
S!

So something is bugged there it seems. I wonder what change could have done that. I do not think it is our graphics card because in game everything works perfectly. Well, I am waiting for the AMD's flagship now Radeon 7990HD :D Oh boy!

Mattias
Mar-28-2013, 05:29
To eliminate any incompatibility in "The Black Death Track" I record a small track in MOD version - Manston under heavy bombing - an use to measure FPS in both versions - and the performance drop still... :confused!:

Sokol1

:salute:

Just a thought -have you tried to lower the "Visual Effects" value in video options? If that removes the fps loss/stuttering we would be one step closer to finding the underlaying cause :thumbsup:

Cheers/m

Flanker35M
Mar-28-2013, 05:34
S!

Let me try that and report back in a moment. I start from lowest and go to highest. So stay tuned :)

Flanker35M
Mar-28-2013, 06:17
S!

So ran tests with following settings: Effects, Land shading, Damage decals, SSAO, VSync, Grass, Shadows. Used Low/Medium/High and On/Off where applicable. Ran Black Death and checked for stuttering and other anomalies. List below.

None of the above settings had any discernible effect on the stuttering except Land shading a minor one. In all cases the shadows(if on) on the smoke pillars had banding, cloud shadows normal. The ground textures in certain scenes shifted from sharp to blurry, in some cases was blurry all the time. Like reverting to lower resolution? Grass, when on, loaded with a delay. It was first brownish texture and turned to grass in a few seconds. Most stuttering seemed to be around clouds in the picture. Strangely enough SSAO had no effect on FPS or stuttering like before.

Will conduct more tests.

No601_Merlin
Apr-10-2013, 09:25
Flanker do you have any updated FPS to add, been looking to get a similar AMD rig to yours.

Thanks