PDA

View Full Version : Post patch lock-ups and Launcher crashes - tech advice requested.

Koala63
Mar-27-2013, 23:11
S! Absolutely loving the new patch but very frustrated with persistent lock-ups and Launcher crashes. I followed all the correct install steps, uninstalled the Windows 7 Update KB2670838, followed through with JTDawg's tips and still no joy.

I'm confident the problem lies with my computer rather that with Team Fusion's fantastic work. I suspect that my system and graphics card in particular is not up to scratch and me flying with mostly maxed or high end graphics settings is causing me problems. I've been doing some modest cranking up with MSI afterburner and its hardware monitor shows that while most graphs show acceptable moderate to high levels/temps/etc, my main GPU is running pedal-to-the-metal at 100% the whole time. I'm guessing this might not be helpful.

Anyways, if anyone would be kind enough to interpret my system specs for me and give me their opinion on where I should be looking to fix my problems and what sort of hardware I should be aiming for to replace any substandard bits, I'll be most grateful. I'd really like to fly a full mission on the ATAG server without crashing to desktop.

Here are my specs (I don't really understand most of them).

Processor: Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8 GHz 2.80 GHz
RAM: 12 GB
Windows 7 HP, SP1, 64bit
GeForce GTX 570, Forceware 306.97, DX11.1 support, grphx clock 780MHz, processor clock 1560MHz, Memory data rate 3800 MH, Memory interface 320bit, Total available grfx 4096MB, Dedicated video memory 1280 MB GDDR5 etc.
TrackIR5
+Mastiff's recommended Nvidea tweeks

Thanks for any light anyone might care to shine my way.

III./ZG76_Saipan
Mar-27-2013, 23:34
I think some are random, I can fly 3 hrs no crash, then have 2 in 30 min.

Injerin
Mar-28-2013, 01:57
I would update your graphics drivers. And as far as Mastiff's tweaks, try toning some of them down a bit. Mastiff's tweaks don't work for everyone and he playes around with them on a high end card such as a 680 (4GB), so the settings might be over-stressing your 570...

It also might be the fact of improper overclocking. I would bring everything back down and slowly work my way up with small tweaks, and find a happy medium.

ATAG_Torian
Mar-28-2013, 05:13
It also might be the fact of improper overclocking. I would bring everything back down and slowly work my way up with small tweaks, and find a happy medium.

Agreed. Overclocking always seems like a gr8 idea at the time but is all too often fraught with instability even if your overclocking utility says u should b ok.
I would also check your card for dust caked in the fan and heatsink (check ur cpu too) and make sure the PC has adequate ventillation to clear out all the heat. Make sure the fans on ur video card are turning freely...the bearing can fail resulting in poor cooling.
As Injerin has said, drop ur graphic settings and work ur way up to a compromise between fps and eye candy.
Just as an aside, is there any software that might b trying to update/scan. This can cause a lockup/crash.

Koala63
Mar-28-2013, 05:45
"And as far as Mastiff's tweaks, try toning some of them down a bit. Mastiff's tweaks don't work for everyone and he playes around with them on a high end card such as a 680 (4GB), so the settings might be over-stressing your 570..."

Thanks Injerin. You might be on the money there. I reset my Nvidia profile to defaults and just played a smooth succession of quick missions with 12 or more planes. Seemed much more stable. Next for the online test.

As far as overclocking goes... I was only trying some modest amounts as a possible remedy to my post patch lock-ups. I'm usually much to timid with mucking around on with my computer to try that sort of stuff. I mainly use MSI Afterburner for the hardware monitoring graphs. They are better but the GPU usage is still maxing out. Only not flat line max anymore.

Thanks for the reminder Torian. My house is a dustfarm and I'm sure my computers overdue for housekeeping.

Thanks for your help. Also, I gather my card is rather limp wristed...

Injerin
Mar-28-2013, 06:15
Actually the card your running isn't that bad. I see your drivers are a little out of date. I would update those ASAP. Also (this is what I do :) before lauching the game make sure all unnecessary programs in your tray are shutdown (basically make sure no background programs are running), this might give your GPU a break :P

Koala63
Mar-28-2013, 06:54
Downloading latest now (3.14.22). DL speed from Nvidia.us is 43.1kbps WTF!

Thanks again Injerin.

vranac
Mar-28-2013, 07:12
You'll get nothing with newer drivers for your card and this game.They are optimized for gtx6xx cards and more popular games.

Your gtx570 is good card and strong enough to run almost everything on max but your CPU is slow.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Mar-28-2013, 08:04
Your gtx570 is good card and strong enough to run almost everything on max but your CPU is slow.

I agree. The stutter/lockups tend to be CPU related.

I had this problem with my 2600K (3.4ghz). I overclocked it to 4.2Ghz and it's been sweet ever since.

Koala63
Mar-28-2013, 08:09
Beg to differ vranac. New drivers give me noticable reduction in GPU usage. I'm still maxing, but now back on the chart most of the time. I flew a nice smooth and stable offline mission with only one noticeable stutter. Best part of a day's mucking round and I reckon I'm getting somewhere. All good. Looking forward to trying again online when I'm in a fit state.

Koala63
Mar-28-2013, 08:13
I agree. The stutter/lockups tend to be CPU related.

I had this problem with my 2600K (3.4ghz). I overclocked it to 4.2Ghz and it's been sweet ever since.

Funny how time passes quickly. I still considered my "new" CPU pretty good, but it has been three years. I won't even be thinking about attempting to OC my CPU, but at least I can add another item to the list of computer upgrades to scrimp and save for.

Thanks for the info.

Dutch
Mar-28-2013, 08:22
I'm not technically minded either, but as you can see, my system is much the same as yours. I don't overclock anything, and have the latest Nvidia driver. I don't have any launcher issues or bad stutters or fps issues, unless I'm running additional plugins in TS, which seem to cause problems.

I have everything on 'High' except textures original and effects medium, no AA, no SSAO. I can up these settings for offline. Nvidia CP settings are custom.

Maybe try shutting down all programmes apart from the essentials you need to fly and seeing what happens then?

Edit: For instance, I seem to recall some blokes having probs if 'real time scanning' was switched on in certain AV softwares, but if it was me I'd try this offline first....:D

Koala63
Mar-28-2013, 19:43
Pleased to report that all is good. Just had two stable flights on the ATAG server. Got shot down both times but at least managed 1 x crash land and 1 x bail-out in walking distance of home plate. Now I can feel a bit more confident about teaming up with other planes and not having to be lonely 109 fodder. Moral of the story seems to be not to flog the old workhorse too hard. Happily, with settings lowered to a sensible level + new drivers, my post patch CloD still looks great.