PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with CloD Crashes - Master list

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Apr-04-2013, 10:22
Dear all, please find a master-list of all suggested fixes and tips for reducing Cliffs of Dover crashes since the TF patch. Most of this information is from the ATAG forums. I will add to this list as I find more threads containing fixes to past problems.

Try running Launcher with CloDer.exe
Launcher.exe fails to run on start or crashes on splash screen? One of the windows updates caused a "write process memory" error with the maddox.dll. Download this program, place it in your Cliffs of Dover directory and run CloD using the CloDer.exe it should force your game to run.
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/Downloads.php?do=file&fileid=207

Disable Windows7 Update KB2670838
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3528

Check the Launcher Compatibility in Steam
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4115&p=41788#post41788

Disable any sweetfx or injectfx you have running
Remove dxg9.dll from your game folder

NVidia users, try playing with your NVidia driver settings:
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3135
http://thevirtualflyer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/my-clod-nvidia-settings.html

Try disabling any Printers you might have installed
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3977&page=2

Update your Graphics Drivers, and try lowering your in-game Graphics settings
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4037

Disable your Anti-Virus
Find the anti-virus in your task bar or windows task list and disable it. It will restore when you re-boot.

Run the Launcher in "administrator" mode
Place a shortcut to the launcher (from your game folder) on your desktop. When you want to run CloD, right-click the shortcut and select "run as administrator"

(Edited by Naked Squirrel)

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Apr-04-2013, 10:23
please sticky if that would help.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Apr-04-2013, 14:13
I like it Phil. This saves allot of searching multiple sites to find these fixes. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Septic
Apr-05-2013, 08:07
Another great post, thanks P!

Worth a sticky.

Septic.

ATAG_Snapper
Apr-05-2013, 08:36
please sticky if that would help.

Done! Thanks for this, Phil. :thumbsup:

:)

broseph skalin
Feb-03-2015, 10:39
Hey guys... I just refreshed my computer and need to reinstall the team fusion patch. Before I do that, however, I need to get the game to run on windows 8 again. I do not remember how I did this last time, can anyone help me?

69th_Turn
Feb-03-2015, 14:20
hey broseph, check your PM. I've sent you some help with that (basically, this tutorial video http://youtu.be/xewfAma7GJA).

Hey guys... I just refreshed my computer and need to reinstall the team fusion patch. Before I do that, however, I need to get the game to run on windows 8 again. I do not remember how I did this last time, can anyone help me?

EAF51_Jimmi
Oct-04-2015, 17:23
Dear all, please find a master-list of all suggested fixes and tips for reducing Cliffs of Dover crashes since the TF patch. Most of this information is from the ATAG forums. I will add to this list as I find more threads containing fixes to past problems.

Follow the (un-official) TF patch install video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu3SrdqlB64

Repair the MS-Dotnet
See 5 minutes into this Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu3SrdqlB64

Re-run the DX-setup
See 5 minutes into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu3SrdqlB64

Broken links!!!
i think it's super important to repair them!!!

EAF51_Jimmi
Oct-08-2015, 08:58
Broken links!!!
i think it's super important to repair them!!!

BUMP
all new people coming here to play CLOD need those links active!

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-08-2015, 09:08
BUMP
all new people coming here to play CLOD need those links active!

Links were deactivated by the originator and have now been removed. Thanks for alerting us, Jimmi. :salute:

Totalize
Oct-13-2015, 11:53
This game is pretty frustrating to play due to the game freezes.

I installed everything up to 4.12. I dont have the KB2670838 file on my win 7 computer 64 bit edition. I followed all suggestions per the newcomer section and the game constantly freezes up. It's unplayable.

I don't have an issue with processing power or video card. I get over 100 fps when it runs and its very smooth. It just freezes up mid game. I can't see how anyone can play this thing reliably.

Any suggestions?

ATAG_Colander
Oct-13-2015, 11:59
This game is pretty frustrating to play due to the game freezes.

I installed everything up to 4.12. I dont have the KB2670838 file on my win 7 computer 64 bit edition. I followed all suggestions per the newcomer section and the game constantly freezes up. It's unplayable.

I don't have an issue with processing power or video card. I get over 100 fps when it runs and its very smooth. It just freezes up mid game. I can't see how anyone can play this thing reliably.

Any suggestions?

Hi Totalize,

The two normal culprits for freezes are KB2670838 which you say you don't have and overlays (teamspeak, steam etc) that mess with directx.

Totalize
Oct-13-2015, 12:42
Hi Totalize,

The two normal culprits for freezes are KB2670838 which you say you don't have and overlays (teamspeak, steam etc) that mess with directx.

I don't think i have team speak installed or running and as for steam how do I get check and get rid of them if insalled???

David.

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-13-2015, 15:33
Do as Colander said. Press Start --> Search--> Windows updates--> Check history of updates --> Change views (important step) --> Locate KB2670838 --> right click it, choose to uninstall + prevent to be installed again.

After that your freezes should have ended.

Totalize
Oct-13-2015, 20:37
a i said i don't have windows KB2670838.

the occasional game freeze is the worst kind of bug.

Can someone suggest how to deal with these overlays?

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-14-2015, 06:11
Im not doubting you searched for that specific update. What happens is this: We have had many who said who didnt had the update and then, when we told them to look closer, the asnwer was "Oh my god, it was there". Read the steps ive posted and dont skip the "change views" one.

If you had/have Internet Explorer 8 or 9 you have that update. It was a preparation update to a upgrade of Internet Explorer.

Totalize
Oct-14-2015, 06:41
Okay I checked it again.

My situation might be a bit different than others. I upgraded my pc a couple of months ago and installed a fresh version of win7 64 bit. Thus all my windows updates started from August 2015.
The update you mention came out in Feb 2013. Since then it looks like its been replaced with a new version.

Platform update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
KB2670838
release: Feb, 2103

I have the following on my updates. These are listed a .net updates.

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2836943)

Installation date: ‎17/‎08/‎2015 12:11 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

And

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2836942)

Installation date: ‎17/‎08/‎2015 12:48 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

These are the only 2 updates on my system that even remotely mirror this KB2670838 update. It's not in my list of installed updates.

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-14-2015, 07:10
Microsoft Windows is lazy... even with a fresh install by august you would still have it. They are installed chronological order.

On your description (and im sorry to be so insistent, but we are trying to help) i havent read about you checking history of installed updates. Can you take a screenshot of your installed updates list?

Totalize
Oct-14-2015, 08:50
Okay here they are 7 screenshots. I was checking update history previously but these are from the list of installed updates. The lists are probably different. Hopefully you can help.

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-14-2015, 10:11
Check screenshot 3, just above internet explorer 11.. read what kb update is there :)

P.S. Im waiting for a "oh my god" reaction

Totalize
Oct-14-2015, 10:43
Oh my oh my. Thanks Man!

Like I said I was checking update history not the installed updates.

So, I just delete it?

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-14-2015, 10:46
Right click it to options: Choose to prevent to install this update (or something like that) and uninstall it. Forgot if a reboot is required, but i dont think it is. Once you get it off, you be flying more than 10 mins in a row :)

1.JaVA_Platypus
Nov-11-2015, 11:47
Thanks for the clear update process. Will follow instructions. :thumbsup:

SD_MTaff
Nov-11-2015, 16:41
Jolly good chap Phil.
You are voted best non-hurricane pilot of the year!
Taff

mikhail@geekatoo.com
Nov-27-2015, 17:24
I just bought this game via STEAM and it won't start. Thank you for the guide and hopefully this gets resolved ASAP.

InvaderZim
Nov-29-2015, 20:35
Recently had trouble with Clod consistently crashing and locking up. Tried all the fixes here to no avail. I also had lock ups outside Clod. It was mentioned that I should check CPU temp. I have a 6 core AMD 6300 on an MSI board. It has an on board temp monitor. I started checking temps with Clod not running and with Clod running. I ran in the High 50 C without Clod running and into the High 60 - 70 C with Clod running. Average temp for my cpu should be between 40 and 60 C.

I pulled and dusted my cpu cooler and that kept things in the low 60 C with Clod running and reduced the lock ups. This was a stock box cpu heat sink and fan. I now have upgraded to an aftermarket heat sink and fan. Temps now ride around 40 C without Clod running and in the High 50 C with clod running. The Clod program is now much more stable and I have no lockup or crashes yet.

So - Clod is very cpu intensive!!!!!!!!! If you do not have adequate cooling your cpu is going to get hot and become unstable. This makes Clod almost unplayable due to consistent heat related crashes. so check your cpu temps, keep your heat sink clean and cpu temps down to manufacturer recommended temps or Clod will be nearly unplayable. If you have tried every thing else and come up empty. This check is worth making.

ATAG_((dB))
Nov-30-2015, 03:16
Do as Colander said. Press Start --> Search--> Windows updates--> Check history of updates --> Change views (important step) --> Locate KB2670838 --> right click it, choose to uninstall + prevent to be installed again.

After that your freezes should have ended.

Hi Lolsav I have window 7 and it seam I have different option. What I have is Updates History and I can't change view , when I right click on mine it doesn't give me the same option as you (choose uninstall...). It give me view details or copy details. When i select view details it give me that

My machine start having some serious shutter when i play CloD. I am trying to fix it. I've removed that update in the pass and when I do the same process as you said but into the Installed Updates it's not there. What does it mean?

Thanks

Nunz
Dec-21-2015, 12:14
Hi, I'm having an issue with CLOD. When I launch it through steam, it goes no where, and crashes. My computer specs are fine, Ive never had an issue with other games other than just recently DCS. I'm running windows 10 and it seems up to date. If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks!

EAF51_Jimmi
Dec-21-2015, 14:35
Hi, I'm having an issue with CLOD. When I launch it through steam, it goes no where, and crashes. My computer specs are fine, Ive never had an issue with other games other than just recently DCS. I'm running windows 10 and it seems up to date. If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks!

try running clod launcher files as admin and in compatibility mode
plus have you patched it with team fusion patches??

qwer0
Dec-26-2015, 20:50
Hi all,
I try to run this game on Win10. In thread about patches is instructed that after first pach [3.0] installed we need to start the game using launcher "as admin" and then do next............. unfortunately I cant run this game. I only see some splash screen something like "COD" for a very short time and game doesn't start. I tried using CloDer fix and Steam game compatibility check (then I installed 3.0 fix again) but no result. I tried to set launcher in compatibility modes as well - no result... How to deal with this game?

Stormrider
Dec-27-2015, 07:00
did you already try to re-run dxinstal? C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\redist\DirectX this is the path where it can be found in win7.This will repair if needed directx for Clod and yes before trying to run Clod empty the cache.

=FI=Murph
Dec-27-2015, 12:44
In windows 10, you should make sure you have the latest version of directx installed, to insure compatibility with newer programs. However, you should set ClOD to use DXD10 in your config.ini file (found in Documents/1C SoftClub/il2 sturmovik cliff of dover-MOD).
Newer versions of DX are up to versions 11 and 12, but older games can't use it, in fact BOS still uses DXD9.

qwer0
Dec-27-2015, 16:38
Thanks for fast reply..
I forgot to mention: in win8.1 Pro x64 that I had before I had the same.. now I upgraded to win10 Pro x64 and OS is up-to-date.

@Stormrider - I cant install older DX found in install folders - in Windows 10 by default is DX12 now and dxdiag says its ok with this ("modern" game such as Project Cars run without any problems) Cache epmtied but no difference.

@=FI=Murph - latest directx installed - DX12. I found the folder you mentioned but no config.ini file inside - another ini files are present there but I couldnt find any section concerning directx in any of them so.. do you know the exact name and section where to change directx version? or maybe I have something missing... but Steam informed me its completely installed :)

here is my HW/OS config:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.30GHz, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H rev 2.0,
RAM: 32GB DDR3 Dual Channel, Graphics Card: Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 4GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Stormrider
Dec-27-2015, 17:10
you should be able to perform the action I discribe, in my win10 I can also do it.He only checks and install/repair the thing you need.
If I look here in my win10 install---- C:\Windows\System32 there are things from directx8 to directx 11.
I don't think you have enough rights to perform a certain action and therefor is not the right directx version for Clod installed.I installed everything with UAC (=user account control) turned of and everything with admin rights.

qwer0
Dec-27-2015, 17:21
ok, so what are your suggestions for me to do next?
You mentioned that everything you installed with UAC off, I can uninstall the game and run installation from DVD as admin but finally steam will download whole installation pack in newer version and install itself.

I found older directx installer in game's redist folder, installed it, restarted PC but this not helped.

I disabled mobo integrated graphics in BIOS, although Im using GeForce, but this didn't help.. no idea what else could help

I uninstalled Il2 COD completely, then disabled UAC, installed from DVD using "run as administrator", Steam has been run as administrator as well, tried to run - nothing; installed first patch and the same sypmtoms.. some circle/letters in yellow/orange color appear for tiny moment and disappear and that's all.. :(

Stormrider
Dec-28-2015, 13:22
I had some problems also before with Clod but was always able to solve them.I did this by running dx-setup (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\redist\DirectX) or run vc redist ((C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\redist\VCRedist)
clearing the cache, stop or uninstall software with overlay( raptor,radeonpro etc), removing a special update from windows 7 ( KB2670838).
For me installing Clod in win10 was not so big problem.If this :(doesn't fix your problem Iam out of options.

qwer0
Dec-29-2015, 06:22
@Stormrider - the only thing I couldn't do is installing vc redist you've mentioned - it says I have newer version already installed and will not install the version from game's redist folder. My Steam folder is not in default c:\program files folder but on separate disk but this is what I don't want to change and I strongly believe this shouldn't affect this game. All the rest I tried and did but no result. If anyone knows the reason please help cause I don't want to watch IL2 CoD on youtube and feel like a passenger on Spitfire's board :)

and I found thread with the same problem here:
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19136 but with no resolution too

Rgds

Stormrider
Dec-29-2015, 10:52
the only thing I couldn't do is installing vc redist you've mentioned - it says I have newer version already installed and will not install the version from game's redist folder that's good.
Did you already tried it once with Cloder.exe?Win8/8.1 had the same problem as win10.The first TF-mod repairs it and you no longer need Cloder.exe.Maybe because of steam being installed on another HD makes it go wrong with installing the tf-mod.
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=36078&highlight=Cloder.exe

If you were living next door to me I should go to you place and make it work.I know for sure that your rig can run it.

***edit***

At 1.50 in the video you see the install of Tf-mod 3.0, the path there is the default path, C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover.In your case, because you have steam installed on an other drive, you must point the install to steam on that other drive.Is it maybe that it goes wrong at that point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xewfAma7GJA

regards Stormrider

qwer0
Dec-29-2015, 15:06
Hi

@Stormrider - I tried Cloder.exe but no result. I was also pointing right path when installing that patch and install was ending with proper info that all is successful.

Im still finking of previous advice from@=FI=Murph:
"In windows 10, you should make sure you have the latest version of directx installed, to insure compatibility with newer programs. However, you should set ClOD to use DXD10 in your config.ini file (found in Documents/1C SoftClub/il2 sturmovik cliff of dover-MOD)." - I don't know which file exactly it was and I didn't find any entry like directx in any of ini files.. maybe I could add some line into one of file's section but I must know which one if so.

Stormrider
Dec-29-2015, 15:31
this is what it looks like on my win10 side of my pc

"In windows 10, you should make sure you have the latest version of directx installed, to insure compatibility with newer programs".
It is true, but if you install Clod it wil install also the (older) directx files if it needs it.Newer software can recognise old software als old, but older software sees most of the time newer software as.......old, because it doesn't know it.

=FI=Murph
Dec-29-2015, 15:36
The file is called conf.ini, the first part should look like this:

[BOB]
EpilepsyFilter=1

[window]
DepthBits =24
StencilBits=8
DrawIfNotFocused=0
SaveAspect=1
Render=D3D10_0 <-This is the line you're looking for....
width=1920
height=1080
posLeft=0
posTop=0
ColourBits=32
FullScreen=1
ChangeScreenRes=1
Frequency=60
StereoMode=0

Have you tried just starting steam and letting it run in the background, then starting the game by clicking on it's .exe? This is how I always run the game, rather than having steam start it.

qwer0
Dec-29-2015, 17:13
Strange but my sections look like below:

[BOB]

[window]
DepthBits =24
StencilBits=8
DrawIfNotFocused=0
SaveAspect=0

so I copied your lines but this not helped. Looks like game may not recognize my hardware ?

@=FI=Murph - I tried to run this game from Steam as well. Steam is running all the time in the background because otherwise game displays info that it needs Steam running.

=FI=Murph
Dec-29-2015, 21:06
If you are not already trying this, leave steam running as you are doing. Go to the game's .exe within the game's folder (probably something like C:\Program files\Cliffs of Dover\steamapps\common\il2stumovik cliffs of dover\Launcher.exe) and double click the launcher.exe. Forgive me if this is something you have already tried.

I suspect the reason you don't have those lines in your conf.ini may be that the game has to run successfully once before those lines appear in the file? Sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase. It can be difficult to figure this stuff out via forum posts, and believe me, I'm no expert.

Did you try copying the install from your laptop to a thumb drive? At least you'll know you are working with a copy that worked before this.

qwer0
Dec-30-2015, 09:24
@ =FI=Murph - I tried to run this game on various ways so your proposed way as well was tried.
What do you mean by that sentence "Did you try copying the install from your laptop to a thumb drive? At least you'll know you are working with a copy that worked before this. " ?
My copy is genuine dvd disc and never tried it to run before but installs good and Steam upgrades fresh installed game immediately, after that when I choose verifying by Steam it says its ok so Im let say sure that my copy is good :)
btw I don't have a laptop ;)

I installed the game in default folder on C: and... this was no it :D Im completely out of idea and probably give up
I can try to uninstall my ver. of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 and try to install that version from Game's redist folder but its getting more and more weird :D

=FI=Murph
Dec-30-2015, 12:36
Sorry, I must have confused you with one of the other folks here who used to run ClOD on his win 7 laptop before going to a desktop PC with win 10.

Did you disable updates in steam? If you don't do so, steam will keep re-setting the game to un-modded game with last official patch, which will not work in win 10.

qwer0
Dec-30-2015, 14:58
@=FI=Murph - no, I didn't. How can I block updates? I only see that I can set it from default "always update" to run while game is running or to higher prio - update this game as first

ATAG_((dB))
Dec-30-2015, 15:11
There is no more disable updates in steam since a few months now, they remove this option.

qwer0
Dec-30-2015, 16:22
After game installation an update goes automatickly no matter what option is set for updates / only during the game or default.. If it really could help then I have to try install older Steam and block updates or find some "tricked" game exe file if its possible to block such updates via game not Steam

Stormrider
Dec-30-2015, 17:01
I don't think that you have to try an older version of steam, my version of steam is dated 14 december 2015 and Clod works.The game is from 2011( I think), there has been two updates and after that none.What is causing your problem I still don't know.....But I keep thinking of what can cause it and will try to help you.

=FI=Murph
Dec-31-2015, 00:57
OK, I see that it is no longer possible to disable updates in steam. However it is possible to turn off Cloud Syncronization, and it is very important to do so. Go to Steam library- under games. Right click on cliffs of dover in the list and select properties. Under properties select the updates tab and make sure that check box at the bottom, under "steam cloud" is unchecked. This will keep steam from automatically reverting you game to the last official, pre-TF patch version every time you open steam.

qwer0
Dec-31-2015, 11:45
unchecked and the same

BOO
Dec-31-2015, 12:50
Butting in and probably wide of the mark but could it be something to do with the NET.framework?

All my initial woes were resultant from this.

Stormrider
Dec-31-2015, 13:13
Butting in and probably wide of the mark but could it be something to do with the NET.framework?

All my initial woes were resultant from this.
could be, we know that's something is wrong or missing but what?I hope he solves his problem before this year ends:)

qwer0
Jan-01-2016, 10:27
I don't know what dotNET has to do with Il2 and I never care about .net to be uptodate. My OS is upgraded from previous one to win10 and I never installed additional updates. maybe OS install from the scratch would help but it has to wait at least few months :)

Stormrider
Jan-01-2016, 13:38
I've read your previous post and I saw that you already had this problem with win8.1. On the following site they explain how you can repair/restore corrupted system files.It doesn't hurt to check maybe you've got some corrupted files.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833
On this site http://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri you can check if your rig is capable of running a certain game.Maybe it can tell what is missing on your computer for running Clod.

If you want to do a fresh install of win10 one day, you need to get the serial from the install you use now.I did a clean instal of win10 and I needed to type a serial.If you want to get your serial from you version of win10, you can use a tool named "jellybean" found here https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
You can use the free version.
Reed carefully what you install and where it asks permission for, when it asks for install Wajam don't accept and press decline
and then press install.When the install is finished jellybean will start and show you the seriak used on your computer for certain software.

cheers Stormrider

daoist
Jan-21-2016, 04:32
My launcher simply won't run on my window 8 comp, I better download the program you linked

Thank you for the help

TAPATOP
Jan-26-2016, 04:25
Just replying so I can download a file. kek

stu_u2k
Jan-27-2016, 08:10
just replying so i can download a file. Kek

snap!

hAirypAulsAck
Feb-09-2016, 10:35
This helped so much thank you

boku
Feb-13-2016, 01:43
Excuse me, Is there anybody who encounter launcher.exe crash after latest .net framework upgrade (.NET Framework 4.6.1, KB3102433)?
I want to know whether this problem is happening only on me.
My environment is Win7 home premium 64bit, CloD Steam version.

Continu0
Feb-13-2016, 05:40
Hey Boku

a squad-mate had problems after a recent windows-update. Can't tell if it was this one tough... Will ask him!

TWC_Flug
Feb-17-2016, 12:21
Excuse me, Is there anybody who encounter launcher.exe crash after latest .net framework upgrade (.NET Framework 4.6.1, KB3102433)?
I want to know whether this problem is happening only on me.
My environment is Win7 home premium 64bit, CloD Steam version.

I'm having launcher crash on joining the ATAG Multiplayer Server since doing some Win7 updates & also updating DirectX and .Net this weekend. So it is potentially the same issue. I detailed the issue and steps taken to find a resolution on this thread. (theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21288)

I'm running the latest mod (4.312) but also Win7 SP1 64bit, so there are some similarities there.

TWC_Flug
Feb-18-2016, 17:10
Three things to add to the CloD crashes - Master list:

Exhaustive list of crash/problem causes (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21288&p=219566&viewfull=1#post219566) - In troubleshooting my recently problems with CloD/Win7 I systematically went through every possible cause & troubleshooting method I could find. I outline the various things I tried and my results here (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21288&p=219566&viewfull=1#post219566) - the list might be useful to others trying to troubleshoot or isolate problems.

Internet Explorer issues cause CloD crash (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21288&p=219776&viewfull=1#post219776) - after several days of troubleshooting, I determined that my issue was that the Internet Explorer installation on my computer had somehow become corrupted (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21288&p=219776&viewfull=1#post219776). CloD uses some internal Windows functions related to Internet Explorer to display information (particularly, the Welcome Screen that pops up when you join the ATAG multiplayer server) so if your IE installation is borked you may get a crash in CloD.

.NET framework issues cause CloD to freeze/hang on splash screen - I just discovered this one today & I'll detail the symptoms and solution below.

After refreshing my Win7 install and getting IE working properly, I found that CloD had a NEW problem. This time it was hanging up on the initial splash screen (the little airplane with "MOD" written in front of it). This happened consistently with all versions as I stepped through installing all the Team Fusion mods.

In every case, there was no error or crash--it would just freeze and never continue with the splash video or reach the menu.

It turns out that the root problem is similar problem to the Internet Explorer issue I was having. The problem there was that the Windows Update system was corrupted. Various version of IE were half installed and half un-installed, leaving the system in a state where it wouldn't allow you to install the updates because of corruption, but you couldn't UNinstall them either (because they are not listed as installed) to clear out the corrupted or half-installed versions.

This time the problem was with the .NET framework. I ran the installer in the redist subdirectory, but it would never complete. I ran the installer that now comes in Windows Update for .NET with the same result. I tried downloading and running a few installers that I found online on the Windows web site with the same result.

I ended up following directions like those found here (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx) to eventually clean up the previous partial installs of .NET and solve the problem.

Troubleshooting is hard without any error messages - and how you can get SOME error messages related to CloD problems
By the way, my clue to the fact that .NET was the core problem, is that I had another program that was malfunctioning at the same time. The big difference was that the other program actually exited with an error message that told me what the problem was--.NET framework not installed. (In this case it was the EDTracker software; it doesn't really matter what it was though--important is that it was software that gives a proper error message when it's failing instead of just hanging/freezing indefinitely!) At that point I knew what to do to solve the problem. When the problem is as vague as "It's hanging up" you don't even know where to start . . .

One of the difficulties of troubleshooting CloD is that it does not usually give helpful error messages when it crashes. This leaves you fumbling in the dark quite a bit. One technique that is helpful here is to take a look at the Windows "Event Viewer" - search for "event viewer" or "event log" in the Windows start/search area to find it, or look in your "Computer Management" tool.

Psychomann
Feb-18-2016, 22:51
This is a 1st post as I cannot get CloD to run (although it did previously) and I would like to download the CloDer.exe file.

Psychomann
Feb-18-2016, 23:08
This is a 1st post as I cannot get CloD to run (although it did previously) and I would like to download the CloDer.exe file. OMG it works again! Painful, but ok. Now to tackle the ATAG patches.

boku
Feb-24-2016, 11:00
Continu0, flug,
Thank you for responding me.
(I think) I successfully dealt with the new windows updates thanks to flug.

But interestingly, it turned out that my launcher error is caused by a gamepad.

After some diagnostics, I realized a change in my environment from last stable launch of CloD.
The change was that I recently got playstation2-USB gamepad converter (JC-PS101UBK,ELECOM).
And I confirmed that CloD fails to launch only when the converter is plugged.

I think that the problem is related to directinput, a part of directX.

tt54
Apr-23-2016, 09:32
Thank you ATAG team :)

TWC_Flug
May-01-2016, 00:27
Here is yet another potential launcher crash, usually on brand-new installation, with a few potential solutions:

Here is a typical problem report from this post:

Haven't been able to start the game once. I'm trying to run the Steam version under windows 7 64 with a nVidia 560 ti. The launcher stops working after a couple of seconds with the problem signature below. I've done the crc check on the steam files, installed all the redist folder using admin, yet nothing seems to help. I also don't have AVG.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: launcher.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 4d6e3d08
Problem Signature 04: System
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ba1dff4
Problem Signature 07: 2b79
Problem Signature 08: 14
Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 7177
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

In the event log, I found the following:

Application: Launcher.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException Stack: at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPr opertyValue(System.String) at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_I tem(System.String) at maddox.Properties.Settings.get_nativeDLL() at maddox.Launch.leoX1TikeyJJcUgeaug(System.Object) at maddox.Launch.rv7PqTB6t() at maddox.Launch.Program(System.String[]) at Launcher.Program.Main(System.String[])

The crash occurs immediately on launcher start, before the yellow crosshairs or "mod" appear. The primary error appears to be "System.IO.FileNotFoundException".

I had this problem on initial install of IL2 CLOD on a new computer.

Suggestions for solutions I've seen:

1. Go into the "redist" subfolder and reinstall all the various components CLOD needs (.net, directx, visual c, etc)

2. Make sure your anti-virus is disabled for files in the CLOD folder

I think these are suggesting, at least, the direction of the problem. Either some needed library, dll file, etc is not installed properly OR something (like an antivirus) is preventing it from loading.

In my case, the solution was slightly different but related. I had just jumped in and run launcher.exe directly from the install folder because that is how I usually run it once it is installed and running correctly. (First launch Steam, log in, then double click the launcher.exe directly in the install directory.)

However, this didn't work on first-time installation because steam automatically does some fancy install procedures when you run from within Steam but NOT if you just click on the launcher.exe directly.

So when I finally thought to start Steam & run CLOD from within Steam (the way God & Steam intended, apparently), the first thing Steam did was run through the various install procedures and after that everything worked just fine. And now it runs just fine whether I launch from within Steam or click directly on launcher.exe.

So I add solution #3:

3. Run CLOD from within Steam, at least the first time around, so that all needed libraries etc are automatically updated & installed.

peaky97
May-09-2016, 16:28
Help I have just bought from steam and it doesn't work

ATAG_((dB))
May-10-2016, 02:19
Help I have just bought from steam and it doesn't work

Hi peaky we will need more detail of your problem. Have you done this?
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058&p=52711

sprucemouthman
May-22-2016, 16:23
posting so i can download CloDer.exe

cseddon
Jun-30-2016, 15:15
posting so i can download CloDer.exe

ATAG_Colander
Jun-30-2016, 15:16
I still don't understand why people need CloDer. The TF MOD is supposed to fix the W8/10 incompatibility.

cseddon
Jun-30-2016, 15:58
Hello Guys

I am having a real difficulty sorting out this problem. The game launches fine and runs great for a few minutes - then crashes the computer, which requires a restart to function again. It's same outcome in single or multiplayer mode.

My computer is about a week old and was bought specifically for CloD. Spec is:
ASrock H170A-x1/3.1 motherboard, 16GB DDR4 , I5 6500 3.2Ghz CPU, GTX970 4GB GPU, 144hz G-sync monitor.
OS is Windows 10 Home with all updates. TF Patch 4.312

I have tried Mastiff's and Philstyle's Nvidia settings to no avail and always clear the cache and run as administrator. I have reloaded the game and re-installed the patches too. I've also tried most of the tips above - at least the ones I can understand !

There is a conflict somewhere I guess .... but I am at a loss as to how to find it. I'd be grateful for your advice as to how best to fix this.

BOO
Jun-30-2016, 18:49
Hello Guys

I am having a real difficulty sorting out this problem. The game launches fine and runs great for a few minutes - then crashes the computer, which requires a restart to function again. It's same outcome in single or multiplayer mode.

My computer is about a week old and was bought specifically for CloD. Spec is:
ASrock H170A-x1/3.1 motherboard, 16GB DDR4 , I5 6500 3.2Ghz CPU, GTX970 4GB GPU, 144hz G-sync monitor.
OS is Windows 10 Home with all updates. TF Patch 4.312

I have tried Mastiff's and Philstyle's Nvidia settings to no avail and always clear the cache and run as administrator. I have reloaded the game and re-installed the patches too. I've also tried most of the tips above - at least the ones I can understand !

There is a conflict somewhere I guess .... but I am at a loss as to how to find it. I'd be grateful for your advice as to how best to fix this.

If the entire rig is crashing im tempted to say have a look at your temps and the heatsink contact on your CPU and do a memory check overnight. im assuming your PSU is powerful enough to run the 970 and that its not on a stupid OC? If other games such as BOS run fine them im talking out of my hat.

However, you say "have to restart" so is the PC hung or have you just got a black screen? A system crash would(should) give you a blue screen with a reason for the crash. If the game is exiting to back screen, check that right clicking your mouse doesnt bring back the desktop. If it does, check for what is causing it. In my case it was either ever pestering JAVA update BOS, ROF conflicts (although i doubt this) or steam constantly telling me about some BOS pack offer or other (i dont know which as i deleted the lot in temper and this solved my problem).

If it is something like this, clicking the mouse will often also clear the message so you may need to do some research into logging processes if it is still happening asfter all the notification you can think of have been delat with.

Regards

BOO

cseddon
Jul-01-2016, 10:12
Many thanks Boo

Since your post the GTX970 has given up the ghost altogether so I'm thinking its that. I clicked the graphic 'OC' panel for the card out of interest and got an immediate black screen. Upon restart the rig goes to black screen.

Ive returned the card and ordered another one (different make). As regards the PSU I have a 550W which should be adequate ... but I ordered a 750w jic. New kit should arrive tomorrow so I'll give CloD another shot then.

Regards

Chris

BOO
Jul-01-2016, 10:25
Many thanks Boo

Since your post the GTX970 has given up the ghost altogether so I'm thinking its that. I clicked the graphic 'OC' panel for the card out of interest and got an immediate black screen. Upon restart the rig goes to black screen.

Ive returned the card and ordered another one (different make). As regards the PSU I have a 550W which should be adequate ... but I ordered a 750w jic. New kit should arrive tomorrow so I'll give CloD another shot then.

Regards

Chris

Well heres hoping it sorts it!

ZiGzAg
Jul-10-2016, 13:20
when i install a patch, the game wont even start at all it doesnt even show a crash message.

Windows 7, 6 gb ram, ATI radeon 4600 1gb, intel core 2 quad 2.66 ghz

jg10r_vonalba
Jul-22-2016, 00:43
thanks sirs for info , i keep getting app crash

hackles64
Aug-16-2016, 13:14
Hi, I'm having trouble trying to download (Mod 4.0) into (IL-2 Cliffs of Dover) on a windows 10 os . I've tried everything I can think of, different browser i.e. (internet explorer, firefox, chrome. I'm stumped.
Can anyone please help me get this thing off the ground.
Sincerely Scott (call sign Hackles)

BOO
Aug-18-2016, 02:41
Hi, I'm having trouble trying to download (Mod 4.0) into (IL-2 Cliffs of Dover) on a windows 10 os . I've tried everything I can think of, different browser i.e. (internet explorer, firefox, chrome. I'm stumped.
Can anyone please help me get this thing off the ground.
Sincerely Scott (call sign Hackles)

Make sure your anti virus is switched off - windows defender is a pain as it will restart by itself and mess up the download - im sure there is a way to switch it off for longer if you google it.

The mod 4 patch comes in two parts - if you have downloaded it in a zip file, unzip it and you will see the installer and another zipped file. Just run the installer - do not unzip the other other file.

Finally, if you look a little way down this section of the forum you will see a thread by 1/JG51 Molders - there is a link to his sqdns webpage where you can download both parts spearatetly and without the need to do the initial unzipping.

Regards

BOO

Freeman_515
Aug-31-2016, 08:02
Hi!

I tried many times to make this game working, and I also gave up many times :(
Last time I tried was last year and I don't know why but I decided to give it a try again today...

I always have the same issue: The crosshair splash screen/logo appears and disappears almost immediately. Then nothing!
I'm on windows 7 64bits, I tried uninstall/reinstall the game, to uninstall net framework/reinstall from the redist folder, reinstall directX, I uninstalled the windows update KB2670838, uninstalled my printer...

I don't know what to do and I don't want to reinstall my computer for this... so maybe I will give up again...

I activated the logs and here is what I got:

------------ BEGIN log session -------------
[13:48:06]
[13:48:06] =================================================
[13:48:06] System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
[13:48:06] at System.Number.ParseSingle(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
[13:48:06] at fGqJKx7vyFfq9wCw4LO.3faUNj7n3jpLjfAEkio.IftGiv0zXk ggGirajKxp(Object , Object )
[13:48:06] at fGqJKx7vyFfq9wCw4LO.3faUNj7n3jpLjfAEkio.GyibN8KTU3 f()
[13:48:06] at dskhevpleVp3TjkuGm4.58mfcWpsRfvmwI1AZ1j.j6hD88mAQJ ubqoj3RDM7(Object )
[13:48:06] at dskhevpleVp3TjkuGm4.58mfcWpsRfvmwI1AZ1j..ctor(Stri ng , oOIDlj8xeUkaIBFuX4i , String )
[13:48:06] at dskhevpleVp3TjkuGm4.58mfcWpsRfvmwI1AZ1j.F5JLrkmVcV d(String , oOIDlj8xeUkaIBFuX4i , String , Int32 , Int32 )
[13:48:06] at V1fu7Es3aEv6dsornhT.75H4Fss1k2Re6hsAGXs.wAQkTyyvE5 1()
[13:48:06] at vBCGsYHeul7fLrMykgX.PMUv7hH2KpMm4dnuyeJ.dLQjPoeRUq Mcb1Ag1HCB()
[13:48:06] at vBCGsYHeul7fLrMykgX.PMUv7hH2KpMm4dnuyeJ.BgrbMvvRb6 R(4mbaGO1hAWA

If anybody has an idea :D
I don't really expect miracle anymore

TWC_SLAG
Sep-06-2016, 19:54
Suddenly, neither my shortcut nor the launcher.exe will start CloD. Double clicking on either one starts that little blue circle spinning for a couple of seconds, then it quits. The only thing I have done recently is de-fragged the hard drive. Could that be the problem?

Sure would like to begin flying, hope there is an answer out there.

Thanks

Atal222
Sep-20-2016, 16:09
Thanks but i am still getting the installer requires pre requisite version error.

iDeny
Oct-01-2016, 16:29
Thanks for create patch

JG508_Kestrel
Nov-20-2016, 05:47
Thank you Worked for Windows 10 64bit

TWC_Flug
Dec-01-2016, 00:12
Hi!

I tried many times to make this game working, and I also gave up many times :(
Last time I tried was last year and I don't know why but I decided to give it a try again today...

I always have the same issue: The crosshair splash screen/logo appears and disappears almost immediately. Then nothing!
I'm on windows 7 64bits, I tried uninstall/reinstall the game, to uninstall net framework/reinstall from the redist folder, reinstall directX, I uninstalled the windows update KB2670838, uninstalled my printer...

This sounds most similar to the issue outlined in message #63 above (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4123&p=219864&viewfull=1#post219864), ".NET framework issues cause CloD to freeze/hang on splash screen". The error given "System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format." is definitely a c# error, which makes me think of .NET, too (c# is a .NET language).

So you might try the remedies given in message #63 (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4123&p=219864&viewfull=1#post219864), which involve the possibility that your .NET framework installation is messed up.

odin3009
Dec-29-2016, 17:24
posting so i can download CloDer.exe thanks

Blackthorne556
Dec-31-2016, 09:08
Hi all. So I'm new to this community, having a problem with crashes mid game. Game launches fine, frames are great (using all the TF patches up to 4.312) but then the game will lock up solid. I usually get a few minutes of play in, at high and low altitudes over cities and countryside, with no noticeable hits to frame rate so I'm hesitant to blame the freeze on graphics.

Running Windows 7 64-bit, on AMD R9 390 gpu, and AMD FX-9370 Black Edition @4.41 Ghz, with 16Gb Ram.

Anyone else hear of anyone having a problem like this and know what they did to fix it? Again, I have no issue launching the game, I only get the crash mid play.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-31-2016, 23:40
Hi all. So I'm new to this community, having a problem with crashes mid game. Game launches fine, frames are great (using all the TF patches up to 4.312) but then the game will lock up solid.

You seem to suffer from the classical case of Windows Update KB 2670838

Check this thread

BOO
Jan-01-2017, 04:53
I dont think you have anything overclocked but it might be worth monitoring your temps too just to see if there is a potential issue there to. (there is no foundation or expertise behind this comment - just something you might want to check that is easy to do :_))

adityajaypal
Jan-25-2017, 10:04
Beautiful post, thanks :)

ZebraZ
Mar-18-2017, 20:31
Hope that work

mginelli
Dec-19-2017, 21:48
Thanks for the Cloder.exe Link!

galwaydave
Jun-29-2018, 18:32
Thanks for the tips will try now. Same issue for me since I moved from AMD to NVIDIA.

ilario38
Jun-24-2019, 14:33

Try running Launcher with CloDer.exe
Launcher.exe fails to run on start or crashes on splash screen? One of the windows updates caused a "write process memory" error with the maddox.dll. Download this program, place it in your Cliffs of Dover directory and run CloD using the CloDer.exe it should force your game to run.
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/Downloads.php?do=file&fileid=207

Disable Windows7 Update KB2670838

Check the Launcher Compatibility in Steam
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4115&p=41788#post41788

Disable any sweetfx or injectfx you have running
Remove dxg9.dll from your game folder

NVidia users, try playing with your NVidia driver settings:
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3135
http://thevirtualflyer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/my-clod-nvidia-settings.html

Try disabling any Printers you might have installed
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3977&page=2

Update your Graphics Drivers, and try lowering your in-game Graphics settings
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4037

Disable your Anti-Virus
Find the anti-virus in your task bar or windows task list and disable it. It will restore when you re-boot.

Run the Launcher in "administrator" mode
Place a shortcut to the launcher (from your game folder) on your desktop. When you want to run CloD, right-click the shortcut and select "run as administrator"

(Edited by Naked Squirrel)
Good evening. I am afraid I have to add an other reason for game crashes! I'd like to explain my case and possibly get some help to solve the problem.
I am playing in all different servrers , but expecially on TWC servers, where the skies are reasonably crowded and somehow easier.
By about 3 WEEKS, exspecially after bombing targets (such as fuel damps with a lot of flames and explosions) within a few minutes (5 to 15 generally)the screen freezes ans after a few seconds becames black and the...I am out of the game ...to the desktop.
I lower oll the craphics parameters and also the resolution (down to 1250-800). I do not know what else I can do. . Some kind TWC members tried to help me, but without success One sais it may be the video card, but why , if until 3 weeks aho it was working oerfectly and I have no problems with other servers? If can be of help. I have Windows 10, processor i-5 5°generation, video geforce 650 TI BoosObviously widows gives out an error , but without number and claiming some involvement of NET FRAMEWORK. I have on board, the version 4.7 which came inside the the operational system. Can anybody help?
Thanks in advance.

ilario38
Jun-27-2019, 03:44
Thanks for the reply. Thr solution was almost obvious: I changed the video card and , so fr, I have no problems.
I know, it's a shortcut, but all the rest ...for me is almost chinese!!

ATAG_Torian
Jun-27-2019, 18:48
For future reference, whenever u have problems it is necessary for us to know your system specs as in my sig below.

jackd
Jul-01-2019, 23:06
where can one find it? -- OOPS, found it!

ilario38
Jul-08-2019, 05:49
Good evening. I am afraid I have to add an other reason for game crashes! I'd like to explain my case and possibly get some help to solve the problem.
I am playing in all different servrers , but expecially on TWC servers, where the skies are reasonably crowded and somehow easier.
By about 3 WEEKS, exspecially after bombing targets (such as fuel damps with a lot of flames and explosions) within a few minutes (5 to 15 generally)the screen freezes ans after a few seconds becames black and the...I am out of the game ...to the desktop.
I lower oll the craphics parameters and also the resolution (down to 1250-800). I do not know what else I can do. . Some kind TWC members tried to help me, but without success One sais it may be the video card, but why , if until 3 weeks aho it was working oerfectly and I have no problems with other servers? If can be of help. I have Windows 10, processor i-5 5°generation, video geforce 650 TI BoosObviously widows gives out an error , but without number and claiming some involvement of NET FRAMEWORK. I have on board, the version 4.7 which came inside the the operational system. Can anybody help?
Thanks in advance.

Good morning <again. As for my second message I have now a new video card Asus Strix 1050 TI 4 GB. BUT THE PROBLEM PERSIST! I cecked the Processor temperature and ahe maximum temperature recorded was 68, so il may not be the reason. I tried to enclose rthe cef. log from the "belly" of the game but it is too big.
Any suggestion is welcome.

Tibsun
Jul-08-2019, 13:30
Good morning <again. As for my second message I have now a new video card Asus Strix 1050 TI 4 GB. BUT THE PROBLEM PERSIST! I cecked the Processor temperature and ahe maximum temperature recorded was 68, so il may not be the reason. I tried to enclose rthe cef. log from the "belly" of the game but it is too big.

If you bomb with He 111, Br 20 or Blennheim, trying to use the bombsight and crash with net framework, if you do so, then you have the same problem as me (GTX 780).
Only way to avoid the crash is not using the "move to gunsight" at the bombsight and bomb "blind" when your mates with the same speed and altitude tell you to drop the bombs.
I can only use the Ju88 bombsight mostly fine if I don't use my hatswitch during the movement towards the bombsight view.

If it's not the same problem, you you can try to "refresh" the latest framework 4.7.2 version located inside the folder "Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\DotNet\4.7"

ilario38
Jul-11-2019, 05:12
Good morning.
I know very well that the problem of crashes is pretty old and mostly related to Win 7 (2013). But now it is my problem. I have win 10 fully updated, , I 5 Haswell, Geforce STX 1050 GT 4 Gb, SSD, 16 Gb memory.
In early may ( about 50 days ago), I suddenly had crashes after 20-30 minutes flying.
First the game freezes, After a few swconds it is followed by black screen ....and ....ops .....I am out of the game, and I have to enter again.
BUT WHAT IS REALLY CURIOUS is that it does occur ONLY when playng in the server of TWC CAMPAIGN SERVER and 90% of the times SOON AFTER bombing succesfully the FUEL DEPOT located at the western end of the island at the begimming of Thames estuary (EAST CHURCH).I'd say about 30 times against 2 0r 3 on the occasion of hitting other targets.
I can add that the temperatures are monitored and apparently are regular and these crashes DO NOT OCCUR ALWAYS but ramdomly and mostly( if not only) -as I said- when hitting the target specified above.
Well, I asked help in many sites but I received only the general list dated 2013. I'm afraid, due to the specific pattern of this crashes that the case is different.
Does anybody feel to help?
Thanks in advance.

DD_FT
Jul-11-2019, 10:28
Good morning.
I know very well that the problem of crashes is pretty old and mostly related to Win 7 (2013). But now it is my problem. I have win 10 fully updated, , I 5 Haswell, Geforce STX 1050 GT 4 Gb, SSD, 16 Gb memory.
In early may ( about 50 days ago), I suddenly had crashes after 20-30 minutes flying.
First the game freezes, After a few swconds it is followed by black screen ....and ....ops .....I am out of the game, and I have to enter again.
BUT WHAT IS REALLY CURIOUS is that it does occur ONLY when playng in the server of TWC CAMPAIGN SERVER and 90% of the times SOON AFTER bombing succesfully the FUEL DEPOT located at the western end of the island at the begimming of Thames estuary (EAST CHURCH).I'd say about 30 times against 2 0r 3 on the occasion of hitting other targets.
I can add that the temperatures are monitored and apparently are regular and these crashes DO NOT OCCUR ALWAYS but ramdomly and mostly( if not only) -as I said- when hitting the target specified above.
Well, I asked help in many sites but I received only the general list dated 2013. I'm afraid, due to the specific pattern of this crashes that the case is different.
Does anybody feel to help?
Thanks in advance.
Really weird stuff... the only thing I can think of is check if there's a log file (log.lst) in the games folder (the one under the my documents folder). Right after a crash it may hold a clue to why it happened...

Baffin
Jul-24-2019, 07:24

I have had the same exact symptoms during the TWC Campaign on July 16, 23, & 26, 2019, (and earlier as well). It's impossible to evaluate, but after changing Nvidia drivers and tweaking nearly every setting on my system, I feel that it must be related to the server data stream. I flew 48 sorties between failures, so I don't think it's my system. That leaves TWC or the Internet as the culprit...:S

These three events caused me to die in the game, busting me back to "Tyro", even though I was clearly over England at the time. :grrr: If disconnects really act like a bailout as advertised, these were the only unsuccessful reserve parachutes in recent history for me...

EDIT 20190823: Reducing my overclock settings has eliminated these VGA failures. I've had over 100 trouble free sessions, each with multiple sorties as of Aug 23, 2019.:joystick:

ATAG_Knuckles
Aug-23-2019, 18:00
ok gang: been fighting crashes for a month now, haven't had a crash/freeze for years
could somebody post a link or directions how to access the "event logs" sp perhaps I can locate the culprit

kaper
Aug-28-2019, 07:19
ok gang: been fighting crashes for a month now, haven't had a crash/freeze for years
could somebody post a link or directions how to access the "event logs" sp perhaps I can locate the culprit

I have tried opening the .dmp files in the ccpcrash folder but haven't had any luck. Let me know when/if you find something. I didn't feel like downloading the windows developer kit and all that.

These crashes you guys are experiencing sound like the same thing happening on my pc. My temps are high but not extraordinary. Temps were the first thing I thought could be the problem because it's 35 degrees here the last few days and that seemed like to much of a coincidence.

The crashes happen at very random intervals between 5 and 30 minutes of flight. I thought it was twc campain server related but I played some single player and had a crash there aswell although it took way longer before it happend.

I'm going to try resetting my cpu clock to default (doing this hurts my soul). I'l report back in a while with the results.

ATAG_Noofy
Aug-28-2019, 08:16
I've had crashes for several months (NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti card).
Upgraded my PC and got myself a NVIDIA GTX 1070 Ti card a couple of months ago.
Never had a single crash since then.

EDIT: by the way I also ditched Reshade. So not sure what has stopped my crashes...

kaper
Aug-28-2019, 09:49
I have tried opening the .dmp files in the ccpcrash folder but haven't had any luck. Let me know when/if you find something. I didn't feel like downloading the windows developer kit and all that.

These crashes you guys are experiencing sound like the same thing happening on my pc. My temps are high but not extraordinary. Temps were the first thing I thought could be the problem because it's 35 degrees here the last few days and that seemed like to much of a coincidence.

The crashes happen at very random intervals between 5 and 30 minutes of flight. I thought it was twc campain server related but I played some single player and had a crash there aswell although it took way longer before it happend.

I'm going to try resetting my cpu clock to default (doing this hurts my soul). I'l report back in a while with the results.

Alright I told my autopilot to roam the skies for an hour while I was having lunch and when I came back the tank was almost empty and the game hadn't crashed. So not overclocking the cpu might have solved the problem. I wil turn my oc back on in the winter time.

kaper
Sep-16-2019, 13:10
Another day, another crash! I'm back!

The game was updated the 13th and when I tried to play the game on saterday (14th) it kept crashing to desktop as soon as I tried to select an airfield to spawn at. It happens every time. Trying to change the resolution or changing the game to windowed mode also crashes the game (and trying to change config files to windowed or other resolution doesn't seem to do anything). I was able to launch an airspawned single player mission though.

The error code in the dump file: 0xC000001D
Exception information: The thread tried to execute an invalid instruction.
This page didn't alow me to upload the full file here.

I have tried the following things:
-Resetting clockspeeds for cpu and gpu
-Verify integrity of game files in steam (Have done this multiple times and sometimes it finds 1 file that it needs to reaquire)
-Checkdisk didn't find anything wrong with the drive
-Being very, very, very patient before clicking the airfield (Never really works does it?)
-Multiple reboots
-Antivirus and firewall disabled
-Closing msi afterburner before running the game
-Ran ccleaner a few times to clean up the registry because I hadn't done that in a while and that never hurts

My pc:
6600k @4.5 ghz (the new found stable clock for this game because il2 wouldn't run stable at 4.6 for some reason)
Msi R9 390 8gb
Msi z178a pc mate motherboard
corsair rm750i psu
Overkill cooling things

Any ideas what could be causing this?
Also, should I be posting this anywhere update or team-fusion related?

edit: by the way, you can open .dmp files with visual studio to at least see the error code. Not much more info there about what went wrong.

Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders
Sep-23-2019, 17:51

The game was updated the 13th and when I tried to play the game on saterday (14th) it kept crashing to desktop as soon as I tried to select an airfield to spawn at. It happens every time. Trying to change the resolution or changing the game to windowed mode also crashes the game (and trying to change config files to windowed or other resolution doesn't seem to do anything). I was able to launch an airspawned single player mission though.

-Verify integrity of game files in steam (Have done this multiple times and sometimes it finds 1 file that it needs to reaquire)
-Being very, very, very patient before clicking the airfield (Never really works does it?)
-Multiple reboots
-Ran ccleaner a few times to clean up the registry because I hadn't done that in a while and that never hurts

My pc:
6600k @4.5 ghz (the new found stable clock for this game because il2 wouldn't run stable at 4.6 for some reason)
Msi R9 390 8gb
corsair rm750i psu
Overkill cooling things

edit: by the way, you can open .dmp files with visual studio to at least see the error code. Not much more info there about what went wrong.

Go to video options and change from full screen to pseudo. Save. Exit the game.Before starting the game delete the cache folder in documents. Run the game. Check that in the first menu screen, in the lower right corner it reports, 4.56.0.

Tibsun
Sep-24-2019, 11:15

-Multiple reboots

My pc:
Msi R9 390 8gb
corsair rm750i psu
Overkill cooling things

If you have troubles with crashes in cliffs of dover, and it might be your OC please try this:

Please set everything to stock first to see if any of you changes is the problem.
First try reset your RAM OC to stock please.
Also check if your RAM sticks are ok.
If that does not help, try CPU on stock.

Try this for CloD:

1st: Reset graphics for cliffs = delete "conf.ini" in "...\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" (do not mistake it by other similar named inis). Do not start game yet.
2nd: Delete cache, "...\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover".

If you try to verify integrity or re install the game do not start the game before you have deleted the cache and the ".ini" files that you want to reset first in "C:\Users\Tibsun\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover".
If you're using FreeTrack or similar, please uninstall the tracker program. (TrackIR is not affected)
Also try to reinstall the common redist files in each of the folders - 4.0, 4.5, 4.7 (4.72) "....\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\DotNet" - 4.0 4.5 4.7 (4.72)

kaper
Sep-29-2019, 16:07
If you have troubles with crashes in cliffs of dover, and it might be your OC please try this:

Please set everything to stock first to see if any of you changes is the problem.
First try reset your RAM OC to stock please.
Also check if your RAM sticks are ok.
If that does not help, try CPU on stock.

Try this for CloD:

1st: Reset graphics for cliffs = delete "conf.ini" in "...\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" (do not mistake it by other similar named inis). Do not start game yet.
2nd: Delete cache, "...\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover".

If you try to verify integrity or re install the game do not start the game before you have deleted the cache and the ".ini" files that you want to reset first in "C:\Users\Tibsun\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover".
If you're using FreeTrack or similar, please uninstall the tracker program. (TrackIR is not affected)
Also try to reinstall the common redist files in each of the folders - 4.0, 4.5, 4.7 (4.72) "....\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\DotNet" - 4.0 4.5 4.7 (4.72)

Thankyou Tibsun for your reply!

After doing another reinstallation I
-wasn't able to delete conf.ini and cache folder in documents/1c softclub/il2 sturmovik cod.../ because I had deleted the whole 1c folder before installation. But that implies that cache and conf are also gone so that should be fine.
-Tried to install the suggested .Net files. (Running the installers in steamworks_shared all told me that the most up to date version of .Net was already installed. I also redownloaded the steamworks_shared but that didn't fix anything)

Having done the steps you suggested the game doesn't load like it did before. It crashes right after the logo that apears on your screen and before starting a full screen window.
The errors as listed in event viewer when I try to run the game:

> a .Net error
Application: Launcher64.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
at <Module>.corelib.RenderWorld.ClearDynamic()
at QZiZjpxnnRmnHHuOhIbU_qCBupP$1TDVrFR6187pckol.pCc2u qe9$NUHZkFrK4RAwHc()
at QZiZjpxnnRmnHHuOhIbU_qCBupP$1TDVrFR6187pckol.QvZti qdlUNCzi_5KPNU_sLA()
at AYB56PA7FbyE$$8MFI6r974O4H8hT6AeUdaoTWW4GX4D.QvZti qdlUNCzi_5KPNU_sLA()
at RIBv6rZ4rWCEDrD_jR11yJglo$kmWoA8pzekY30BkcFZ.ccgEw iqz06skldTjEnhRh8k(RIBv6rZ4rWCEDrD_jR11yJglo$kmWoA 8pzekY30BkcFZ, System.String[], System.String, System.String)
at maddox.Launch.Program(System.String[])
at Launcher.Program.Main(System.String[])

> application error
Faulting application name: Launcher64.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d81196c
Faulting module name: core.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d811887
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000001b5a20
Faulting process ID: 0x3574
Faulting application start time: 0x01d576ed8aaedb5f
Faulting application path: F:\steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\Launcher64.exe
Faulting module path: F:\steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\parts\core\core.dll
Report ID: 3f349676-f6a9-4035-b769-776a2072b9de
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Since I was able to to load the game before when it only crashed in the menu, I reinstalled again. Same result. Maybe I'm doing full installation wrong? Should I play clod before also downloading blitz?

----------------In my backup of the game 4.56 that still runs to the menu---------------------------
I also have my other copy of the game from right after the update to 4.56. This is the backup of when the problems first started. This one still runs to the menu but crashes after clicking around for a while in the menu and it gives the following errors that are directX related:
Application: Launcher64.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c000001d, exception address 00007FFC9C91CD21
Faulting application name: Launcher64.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5c6e4f67
Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.18362.329, time stamp: 0x1ac9a115
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x00000000000acd21
Faulting process ID: 0x3b34
Faulting application start time: 0x01d576fb38b18fa0
Faulting application path: F:\steam\steamapps\common\il-2cod backup\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\Launcher64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll
Report ID: dbc186d7-175a-486b-9ef9-0bd2172f241b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

@SKG 210_Mölders:
Thankyou for helping!
In this running version of the game I cannot change the graphics options because that makes it crash instantly. In the main menu screen it does say it is 4.56 though.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Also I have two forum places now where I've posted about my struggles. The other one is here: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31352
In that one I'm talking about the problems while I could still run the game to the menu.

Tibsun
Sep-30-2019, 11:08
Yes, you probably have .NET installed already, but it should be re installed to clean stuff up that might create problems.

Please check if you might have Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials (maybe next to your AV)
Please really double check, we had somone who told us several times he was sure he turned it off, while he didn't really double check and it took about a week that he realized he was wrong.
Please try start the game as Admin.

Do you maybe run your game on the CPU graphics? DX 9 is weired as we saw in your other post.
Do you run compatibility stuff?

One last thing would be if you have a Documents backup, with those .ini files, may you try the latest game version and swap in your old .inis to see if it would run.
If it runs, please send in your working .ini here to be able to make comparisons what went wrong.

At that point my knowledge runs out, it might be another Windows update causing problems, may you check the forum for recent problems with Windows 10 updates and recommendations to uninstall some that had helped others in the recent past.

Good luck.

kaper
Oct-02-2019, 13:34
Yes, you probably have .NET installed already, but it should be re installed to clean stuff up that might create problems.

Please check if you might have Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials (maybe next to your AV)
Please really double check, we had somone who told us several times he was sure he turned it off, while he didn't really double check and it took about a week that he realized he was wrong.
Please try start the game as Admin.

Do you maybe run your game on the CPU graphics? DX 9 is weired as we saw in your other post.
Do you run compatibility stuff?

One last thing would be if you have a Documents backup, with those .ini files, may you try the latest game version and swap in your old .inis to see if it would run.
If it runs, please send in your working .ini here to be able to make comparisons what went wrong.

At that point my knowledge runs out, it might be another Windows update causing problems, may you check the forum for recent problems with Windows 10 updates and recommendations to uninstall some that had helped others in the recent past.

Good luck.

I have dissabled the default anti virus in the registry just to make sure. It wasn't on though before though. But this should be enough of a double check. Starting the game as admin doesn't change anything unfortunately.

I run my game on my gpu. Although I do have a vga screen connected to the motherboard. I tried dissableing integrated graphics before and that didn't help. I'll try it again in a minute (EDIT: didn't fix it). My PC shouldn't be running any legacy compatability things, no.

Unfortunately I don't have a backup of the documents/1C folder from before the update.

SabreTack
Jan-12-2020, 19:16
Thanks for Cloder.exe

ktmjack58
Jan-15-2020, 18:46
Thanks for this list, really helped me getting the game running

\Hawk/
Mar-01-2020, 14:37
ALT TAB CRASH

Has this problem on and off since win 10 update.

I hopw I found the solution.

Tried it out and looks promising:
Article here: https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/dl2pp4/fix_to_crashing_on_alttab_while_using_windows_10/

It appears "Focus assist settings" was the problem.

win button: search "Focus assist settings"
disable "When I'm duplicating my display" & "When I'm playing a game"

God Speed for this unlucky to have this prob.

MB88
Sep-07-2020, 08:22
Thanks for the patch!