PDA

View Full Version : 2 man bomber crew instructions

CMWARTIME
Apr-05-2013, 13:01
New to IL2 and online PC games. I've been looking for instructions on how to get two players in one bomber on ATAG. Is there a good source?

Thanks!

III./ZG76_Saipan
Apr-05-2013, 13:39
I kind of forget but the bomber/pilot spawns in then the 2nd person needs to look for that bomber on the map page where all the planes are listed. I think if the person clicks on the bomber he should show up in the turret. I could be wrong though, its been a while.

ATAG_Colander
Apr-05-2013, 13:47
Not a bomber pilot but the basics are this:
1.- Player 1 spawns the bomber in airfield A
2.- Player 2 spawns on any plane on airfield A
3.- Player 2 hits escape and looks for the Player 1 bomber in the list and selects an open position in the bomber

Colander.

III./ZG76_Keller
Apr-05-2013, 14:14
It's pretty easy actually.

-Both players need to spawn at the same airfield in their own plane.
-Pilot stays in his plane and does not switch to any other positions.
-Crew member hits [esc] and finds the pilot's plane in the list on the right.
-Double click on an empty position in the pilot's plane.

You can jump into another player's plane while flying as long as you are close to each other, not sure what the exact distance is but most likely around 10km.
If you're going to jump into someone else's plane online it's best to ask for permission, jumping into someone plane and taking control of the bombardier position can really mess up the pilot.

Note: Each human can occupy 2 spots in a plane.
For example, if I spawn a He-111 and move into the bombardier's position I will occupy "Pilot" and "Bombardier", this will prevent anyone for taking either of these spots.

In the He-111H-2 the bombardier is also the front gunner so if I occupy "Pilot" and "Bombardier" this will also "lock-out" gunner position 3 and 4 as well. There are other crew positions that hold multiple positions as well.

Luftwaffe plane positions:

JU-87
Crew 1 - Pilot
Crew 2 - Gunner

BF-110
Crew 1 - Pilot
Crew 2 - Gunner

JU-88
Crew 1 - Pilot
Crew 2 - Bombardier/Nose Gunner
Crew 3 - Top Gunner/Ventral Gunner

Now things with the HE-111 are a little messed up. The game only models 4 crewmen for both variants but there was usually one more for a total of 5 in a H-2 model.

HE-111P-2
Crew 1 - Pilot
Crew 2 - Bombardier/Nose Gunner
Crew 3 - Top Gunner
Crew 4 - Ventral Gunner/Waist Gunner Left/Waist Gunner Right

HE-111H-2
Crew 1 - Pilot
Crew 2 - Bombardier/Lower Nose Gunner/Upper Nose Gunner
Crew 3 - Top Gunner
Crew 4 - Ventral Gunner/Waist Gunner Left/Waist Gunner Right

Switching Positions

You can use "C" (default) to cycle through crew positions.
The better way to do this is by using the [Alt] key combined with the numbers at the top of your keyboard.

JU-87
[Alt] + 1 - Pilot
[Alt] + 2 - Gunner

BF-110
[Alt] + 1 - Pilot
[Alt] + 2 - Gunner

JU-88
[Alt] + 1 - Pilot
[Alt] + 2 - Bombardier
[Alt] + 3 - Nose Gunner
[Alt] + 4 - Top Gunner
[Alt] + 5 - Ventral Gunner

HE-111P-2
[Alt] + 1 - Pilot
[Alt] + 2 - Bombardier
[Alt] + 3 - Nose Gunner
[Alt] + 4 - Top Gunner
[Alt] + 5 - Ventral Gunner
[Alt] + 6 - Left Waist Gunner
[Alt] + 7 - Right Waist Gunner

HE-111H-2
[Alt] + 1 - Pilot
[Alt] + 2 - Bombardier
[Alt] + 3 - Lower Nose Gunner
[Alt] + 4 - Upper Nose Gunner
[Alt] + 5 - Top Gunner
[Alt] + 6 - Ventral Gunner
[Alt] + 7 - Left Waist Gunner
[Alt] + 8 - Right Waist Gunner

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-05-2013, 14:14
Thats it Colander: Sometime you dont even have to be at the same airfield. Just somewhat close: also helps to have a joystick mapped to the turret or bomb aimers position.

Knucks

III./ZG76_Keller
Apr-05-2013, 14:28
@Knuckles, would you be able to give me the crew position info for the Blenheim in the same format as my post above? This would be a good addition to the wiki.

1lokos
Apr-05-2013, 16:23
CMWARTIME

One more thing - case you dont know.

After assume some gunner position you need:
1- Unpark the turret (in Br.20 - after hit the command you have time to go down to navigator cockpit and drink a sip from bottle of wine hidden under radio tabble :alcohol: before the torrent get in position). :D
2- "Lean do gunsight" (Shift+F1)

And, map keys - I advise use "WASD" - to move the turrent (not all bombers need), to aim the gun you use mouse, is recommended go to Conf.ini and change mouse speed to 1.50 or more.
And map another key/button for "fire current weapon" (the turrent gun) or "hold to interact with interface..." or something, because both functions are default mapped for left mouse button, which prevents moving the crosshair and shoot at the same time.

Detail: in all planes minus Br.20 the turrent Y axis control are inverted - you move mouse down the gunsight move up.
In Br.20 X and Y are inverted, mouse down gunsight up, mouse left gunsight right, etc...

EDIT - For Br.20 top turret don use mouse control, use joystick X, Y axis plus a modifier key , ie ALT+JoyX, ALT+JoyY
this result in the best turret control seen in WWII sim. :thumbsup:

And finally, if the bomber made vertical movements above of 5m/s the guns locks... :-)

Sokol1

Torric270
Apr-06-2013, 03:19
And finally, if the bomber made vertical movements above of 5m/s the guns locks... :-)

Sokol1

Solol1 you have mentioned this many times and it has finally sunk in what you mean by it! I started to doing tests to confirm what you have been saying and it works like a charm with both gunning for yourself or having someone else gun for you.

Your gun positions will fire if you are in a climb, dive, or transitioning in between if the climb/dive rate is under 5 m/s.

If you are in a climb/dive at a rate above 5 m/s, even if you are not pulling any g's, your guns will not fire.

You can test this for yourself by first flying straight and level, jump in a gunner position and verify they will fire. Next climb at a steady 4 m/s and test again (still will fire). Then climb at a steady 6 m/s and they will not fire. Drop back down to a steady 3 or 4 m/s climb and they should start firing again.

So bombers if you want to gun for yourself or have someone else gun for you, make sure you are flying in the narrow envelope of keeping your climbs and dives shallow, kicking some rudder doesn't seem to affect it though.

Thanks to Keller and Catseye (unwittenly) for helping me test this.

S! Sokol1

Torric

ATAG_Knuckles
Apr-07-2013, 10:26
For ATAG_Keller

Blenheim

Crew 1 Pilot
Crew 2 Bomb Aimer
Crew 3 Rear Turret

Basha
Apr-09-2013, 12:14
DOH! i wish i had read this thread sooner, me and a squad mate thought we would have a go at being a rear gunner in the 110 after i read that it could be done on hear somewhere( i believed it wasn't possible) anyway after much flaffing about we finally got all the keys sorted and mouse aiming etc only to get really hacked off with the MG intermittently firing and having no clue as to why (now we know thanks Sokol1 :thumbsup:) Could a set up guide be added to the Wiki on this subject possibly ?

KGJ54Lord_Pyro
May-25-2013, 05:20
Little addition, you don't have to spawn at the exactly airfiled as the bomber you want to join, as long as you are close enough. My Bombardier had a launchercrash yesterday as i was already north of calais (startingpoint tramecourt) and it was possible for him to spawn at marck and jump in. It was mentioned already above but i would say it was more than 10km away of the airfiled.

Roblex
May-25-2013, 09:15
I seem to remember reading somewhere something about 'If a single player goes to the gunner position, when he returns to the pilot position the AI gunner will not take over again unless he returns via the bomb aimer position'.

Anyone confirms that? What is the exact rule?

1lokos
May-25-2013, 11:26
Yes, human player always occupies the two last handled positions.

So return to pilot cockpit via bombardier/navigator cockpit is the "rule".

If you check online stats see: Player X pilot, navigator...

In Ju-87 need "leave" the plane for IA (Alt+F2) and take control again...

Thanks to "UBIZ00 wishes"...

Sokol1

III./ZG76_Keller
May-25-2013, 12:57
Yes, as 1lokos said. If I go to a rear gunner position in the He-111 I always go Bombadier > Pilot to make sure the AI has taken over the gunners.

Silver
May-27-2013, 04:25
this type of information should really be provided in the CoD manual, to avoid frustration for the many new people who try CoD

can some of this also be streamlined with the future ATAG patches ? eg, correct gunnery directional behavior with mouse control (or a setting in the options that allows the user to invert its controls at least), and maybe warning msg's being displayed when leaving a plane gunner position that you need to transfer to the copilot/navigator position to have AI take over control of the gunner position you leave. improvements in making CoD more intuitive and more user friendly to new people is important if we hope to increase its popularity in the future :)

Siiseli
Aug-17-2014, 12:06
Hey all..

I was flying He111 and my friend was manning the bombardier position, he did set the bombsight altimeter and velocity. He also armed bombs, opened bomb bay doors and set bombsight automation on. Also bomb distribution was set and delay and salvo.

While I kept the plane level and steady he kept his eyes on bombsight all the way over the target, until bombsight automation turned off. But we are quite sure that bombs never dropped. So im asking if it is even possible for anyone else except the planes owner to drop the bombs.

He also shot one Hurricane down on the same flight :)

Torric270
Aug-17-2014, 12:36
Hey all..

I was flying He111 and my friend was manning the bombardier position, he did set the bombsight altimeter and velocity. He also armed bombs, opened bomb bay doors and set bombsight automation on. Also bomb distribution was set and delay and salvo.

While I kept the plane level and steady he kept his eyes on bombsight all the way over the target, until bombsight automation turned off. But we are quite sure that bombs never dropped. So im asking if it is even possible for anyone else except the planes owner to drop the bombs.

He also shot one Hurricane down on the same flight :)

Yes, I have dropped successfully as the bombardier both using the automation and manually (BR20) I suggest setting the plane up in mode 22 and then you (the pilot) go to the ventral gunner spot and watch and see if he can drop the bombs manually and with automation. The problem may be which bomb fuse you used as there is a bug sometimes when switching back from low level to high level fuses at times.

xvii-Dietrich
Aug-18-2014, 08:57

We've regularly used two players (pilot + bombardier) in the Ju 88, so it works there. In addition to Torric's good advice, check that your bomb doors were actually open. On the Ju 88, this is a pilot-task, not a bombardier task, and it may well be the same for the He 111.

III./ZG76_Saipan
Aug-18-2014, 10:06
nah, cant see the 111's doors...

Siiseli
Aug-18-2014, 11:50
Thanks for the fast replies! We will try again soon. Any hints or tips for the bomb load and bomb types/fuses.

ATAG_Snapper
Apr-11-2015, 08:45
Thread stickied. May come in handy for Zim's event later today. :salute: