PDA

View Full Version : Some more praise for TF via a mini AAR

ATAG_Naz
Apr-07-2013, 01:12
Lads,

I know TF have been getting plenty of praise both on here and on the ATAG TS server for their tremendous work, and rightly so. You're probably getting sick of it, but I intend giving some more praise now....specifically in relation to the sunlight "glint" reflections on enemy canopies.

I was flying a Spitfire 1A (100 Oct) a couple of days ago, flying lone wolf as I often do. I saw a radar report of a lone enemy heading off from the Calais area on a heading towards Manston/Ramsgate at low level. I was over Lympne at about 15,000 feet at the time so decided to try and intercept the bogie. I must have misjudged my intercept course as by the time I arrived where I hoped to spot him, TS callouts indicated a 109 over Manston, and some of the 71st guys were getting ready to carve him up.

Always happy to practice my spotting of contacts I decided to fly over the danger area at about 5000 feet (give or take) and just try to observe everything from above without necessarily getting involved. As I was listening to the other guys calling out their actions I very briefly noticed a quick flash of light out of my port window below me. The flash was only there for the briefest of moments so I rolled a tad and zoomed in for a closer look. Sure enough I saw a yellow nose beneath me going in the opposite direction at approximately 500-1000ft...clearly going for a strafing run on Manston. Given the TS call outs I realised this was not the 109 the 71st guys were dealing with.

I did a Split S and dove down on to his 6 and proceeded to (eventually) get the kill (not before he did a strafing run unfortunately).

Pre TF patch there is no way I would have had any chance of spotting him and again I appreciate how much gameplay is improved now. I am no RL pilot but that momentary flash of reflected light jarring me into awareness of where an aircraft may be certainly tallies with some of the literature I have read about WW2 pilot experiences. It is by no means a cure all magic bullet for spotting contacts as i still found it difficult to find him, and to keep him in sight (as it should be), but at least I had a fighting chance of doing something other than circling hopelessly wondering where everyone is!

Salute guys. Superb.

:thumbsup: