PDA

View Full Version : Vertical trim

chrisreb
Apr-11-2013, 03:07
Apologies if this has been asked before although cannot find a topic. When flying the Spitfire (only a/c flown so far) the nose continually goes into a dive requiring stick back pressure at all times.

This is somewhat uncomfortable and can only find keys for horizontal trim. Am I missing something?

Many thanks for any help.

Foul Ole Ron
Apr-11-2013, 03:26
In Controls - > Aircraft there's an option for elevator trim. Can be assigned to a key or to an axis. I have elevator and rudder trim assigned to the POV hat on my stick. Works ok but trim feels in general a bit mushy to me in Clod compared to DCS P51D which has a much more responsive trim.

chrisreb
Apr-11-2013, 03:30
Thanks for that - found in game controls so will try that. Nothing in manual about keys so I was a bit lost.

Thanks again

ATAG_Torian
Apr-11-2013, 04:08
Map ur trims & prop pitch axes to this and u won't look back.

http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/360604162655?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes

Of course source it in ur own neck o' the woods at the best price.

Meaks
Apr-11-2013, 17:38
Saitek are now manufacturing a purpose made trim wheel which has 9 revolutions of super fine trim available to the flyer,I have one myself and can recommend it :thumbsup:

FAE_Cazador
Apr-12-2013, 09:57
In the present status of CloD, mapping the trims to the rotating knobs of a Saitek X52 is quite useless. You cannot configure a smooth and progressive movement of the trim as it should be. Just a few milimeters of rotation of your knob produce huge effects on trim. This applies to pitch and yaw trims, those normally applied to Joystick's Rotating Axis.

The Sim right now has a very poor setup utility in the "Control" section of the menu, not allowing to setup wide ramps like those in good old IL-2.

@Meaker, have you noted if trim is more progressive and smooth with your Saitek Cessna Wheel? According the the advertise, the wheel has 9 turns of span, (probably 4-1/2nose up, and 4-1/2 nose dwon, but I am afraid that, coming from CloD original program, only the first 1/4 turn producing all full trim effect.

I wish this could be one of the points that Team Fusion fixed. I will chek The Bug Tracker and will add to the list, if not present yet.

SG1_Supongo
Apr-12-2013, 11:00
Lo que debes hacer es indicarles que el trimado del Spitfire no debe dar mas maniobrabilidad en el giro ni ayudar al giro instantaneo, el trim solo vale para mantener una determinada actitud del avion a una determinada velocidad, y la gente lo usa para maniobrar, recuerdales que el trim elimina algo de la fuerza necesaria para un movimiento, pero no da mas grados de movimiento de la superficie elevadora.

Un saludo

SG1_Supongo

P.D.: Friki

FAE_Cazador
Apr-12-2013, 11:53
You are right Supo, but neither Spits nor Bf 109. No plane should make such "Bat-Turns" by using the trim knobs as a cheat. I thought this came out clearly from my post.

This cheat does not come necessarily from allowing an aileron or elevator to move more degrees by using cheat trim, but from moving it from 0 degrees to whatever value almost in an instant, without any any resistance and with no force applied.

Real trim wheels had 15-20 cm in diameter and required several turns to actuate. Gaming hardware so far can not simulate those, indeed (at least till this new Saitek Cessna Wheel). So some software tricks have to be made to simulate this behaviour as it was in IL-2 (slow feedback when using it) and avoid cheating.

Currently, just moving 2 mm the X-56's vertical trim rotating knob out of the center, makes your plane either to drop nose down or rise it up in a completely unrealistic way, so it is promoting this cheat.

P.D. Y tu mas!

FAE_Cazador
Apr-12-2013, 12:24
Issue logged in BugTracker database. (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de)

bolox
Apr-12-2013, 15:26
@Meaker, have you noted if trim is more progressive and smooth with your Saitek Cessna Wheel? According the the advertise, the wheel has 9 turns of span, (probably 4-1/2nose up, and 4-1/2 nose dwon, but I am afraid that, coming from CloD original program, only the first 1/4 turn producing all full trim effect.

well I have an elevator trim using a 5 turn potentiometer and it acts as it should in CoD over all 5 turns of movement.. My sat uo also uses a cd disc as the 'wheek' so is a slightly miniturised version of the real thing, but as stated it works linearly across the whole range exactly as 'expected'.
Have you looked at the response of your rotaries in game controller properties? and maybe check callibration?

I do not own a Saitek stick but trims on throttle rotaries I never found to be a good soulution- this is years ago in IL2 with a Cougar (even using custom curves and having separate profiles for different AC). The problem is you are trying to simulate the effect of ~5 turns rotation of the original device into ~200 degrees of rotation of a typical joystick's rotary control.
The introduction of 'software tricks' in IL2 was problematic and not universally acclaimed to put it politely. The timing delay on trim makes it very hard to trim accurately in IL2 (imho)

Now CoD's axes (other than elev, rudder, aileron and throttle) all only have the ability to change deadzones and do not have a sensitivity slider. I can see why as it puts a S curve on the trim output so it's lee sensitive in the middle but then the effect will come in even more hashly.