PDA

View Full Version : Boost and WEP

EG14_Marcast
Apr-11-2013, 04:13
I must say that it is not yet completely clear to me the use of boost and WEP in British fighters. I have one key ("W") assigned to boost and one ("T") to WEP. If I press "W" the boost gauge "gets a kick" and goes down to normal levels when I reduce throttle. If I press "T" I get a message on screen "WEP switch on" ("off" if I press it again) but apparently nothing changes in the engine; but if I press "W" with WEP on, the boost kick is much stronger and the aircraft begins to tremble. What is the correct use of boost and WEP commands?

Osprey
Apr-11-2013, 07:14
I think the 'WEP' is probably for use in another type, certainly one of those bindings is, not sure which. You only need the one which gives the message 'Boost Cut Out on/off'

It would be much easier to explain this to you by showing you next time you are online in our TS but basically the wep is the operation of the Boost Cut Out Control (B-C-C). This allows the pilot to apply up to 12lbs of boost ie more power above the normal rating of 6.25lbs. Although the gauge only indicates 8lbs in actual fact the higher boost pressure of 12lbs is being achieved. The B-C-C use will ONLY work when the aircraft is using 100 octane fuel and additional boost pressures achieved will fall off with additional height above about 10,000ft. It applies in the same way to the Hurri and Spit Ia, the Spit IIa is similar but defaults to 100 octane and has a normal rating of 9lbs of boost with up to 12lbs with the B-C-C enabled. The amount of time and RPM you can use it for is in relation to engine temperatures.

At sea level each type will achieve about 25mph speed increase with the B-C-C in operation.

The maximum boost achievable in the 87 octane RAF fighters is 6.25lbs regardless of the B-C-C being pulled (in fact the control should not be there)