View Full Version : wind in COD

nacy
Apr-11-2013, 06:05
no effect of wind on IA in COD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I32zjHZ1bc

ATAG_Snapper
Apr-11-2013, 07:34
Wow! :stunned:

I remember the story my Dad would tell of his RAAF training days how whole flights of Tiger Moths would take off backwards in a 60 mph headwind. "It was a sight to see!" he would tell my impressed friends with a totally straight face -- if you didn't see the twinkle in his eye.....:D

Gromit
Apr-11-2013, 08:27
well apparently the Fairy Swordfish was the first aircraft to achieve a vertical landing on a carrier, not the harrier as most think!

In the north Atlantic Illustrious was ploughing into a strong headwind and they had to slow the ship to let an ASW Swordfish catch up, she is said to have come over the fantail, throttled back so that it was hovering over the deck, then cut the throttle and just dropped straight onto the ship.

Was told that story by a neighbour who was a handler on the carrier, he said they almost lost one swordfish when it couldn't catch the carrier in a storm!

DennydD
Apr-11-2013, 14:06
well apparently the Fairy Swordfish was the first aircraft to achieve a vertical landing on a carrier, not the harrier as most think!

In the north Atlantic Illustrious was ploughing into a strong headwind and they had to slow the ship to let an ASW Swordfish catch up, she is said to have come over the fantail, throttled back so that it was hovering over the deck, then cut the throttle and just dropped straight onto the ship.

Was told that story by a neighbour who was a handler on the carrier, he said they almost lost one swordfish when it couldn't catch the carrier in a storm!

Absolute plausible. We once had a Fi 156 "Storch" hovering over Wiener Neustadt Airport with sufficient wind (14-15 m/s). Impressive sight. :)

FAE_Cazador
Apr-12-2013, 09:17
I believe wind is actually modeled in CloD, although we can not "see" it. In some offline missions, with your engine stopped (no torque from propeller at all), your plane turns as if some cross wind would be pushing it sideways. This is quite disturbing if you have spawn in one of the earth U-shaped bunkers. While your are starting your engine, the plane turns and faces one of the ramparts, making very difficult if not impossible to take off, without damaging your plane.

This is quite weird as it would be supposed that your plane should not turn anymore as long as on the wind direction, but it keeps turning.

Chokes are invented to avoid this, but it seems they are not modeled in CloD like in original IL2