PDA

View Full Version : Holes in wings or fuselage should lead to a shaking cockpit

Kling
Apr-13-2013, 11:06
Well, just a few mins ago I was online and got hit by flak that gave me two huuge holes in my right wing. Even with these holes in the wing, it was still a smooth experience and the roll tendancy to the right wasnt very severe either.
Would it be possible to down the line add cockpit shake once the huge parts of the wing/fuselage are shot away? It would add immersion i think. Especially for us with FF sticks.

We do get the random shake when parts of the engine is hit. Is it difficult for TF to add this to damaged wings etc etc as well??

Best regards

Gromit
Apr-15-2013, 06:39
If you consider the efforts manufacturers went to trying to balance production against performance, such as flush riveting versus dome, streamlining of protrusions, you would think ragged holes through wings etc, would have a greater effect on performance?

If your wing has been holed, high pressure air from under the wing will bleed through into the low pressure area above, that's not only going to cause turbulence and drag, but the wing will lose lift resulting in a wing down attitude!

once you have a wing down attitude your going to have to trim rudder and add aileron to keep the aircraft flying straight, that's going to cause drag and slow you down!

put simply, damage should have a greater effect on an aircrafts performance, seen a Hurricane (mine) with one aileron missing still roll easily, and saw a bf109 with one elevator and stabiliser shot off still booming and zooming and pulling out of dives!

There must be a limit how much modelling can be applied before it becomes over complex and untenable?

Just a game after all I suppose, never going to be real!