PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Server

bone head
Apr-16-2013, 08:17
Greetings!

I wonder if I could get some help setting up a dedicated server? I have wasted hours of my life in the past trying to get a useable dedicated server up for ClOD but it was just not useable. Rumour has it that the game is playable now ;) and I thought as we have some spare hardware sat doing nothing I would give it a go again.

Can anyone link me to an up to date guide or perhaps give me some info here at all?

Thanks

Bone

ATAG_Torian
Apr-16-2013, 09:22
Do u mean a server hosted by a dedicated server provider or do u mean just hosting one from your pc or a spare pc u have ?
I don't know about a dedicated server provider but hosting on your own (or a spare) pc is relatively easy. I'll assume u know how to create your own map or pick a ready made one and select it and configure game settings.
Make sure u have the CloD port (27015 or 27016) mapped to your internal IP. Allow whatever u need to in your firewall or disable it (sometimes necessary). Your bandwidth will largely determine
how many players u can host. Have seen in some rare instances an ISP block certain ports which can prevent certain connections. So if u have done evrything right and still no joy u may want to contact your ISP.
Not sure if any of that is what u lookin for.

bone head
Apr-16-2013, 13:55
Hi
I want to run a dedicated server on a leased line on a rack server.

I dont have much experience at all with Clod as I found it all very dissapointing but im hopefull now that it might be a replacement for the old IL2.

Im hoping some of the guys who are experts with maps at Battle-Fields might turn their skills to ClOD so at the moment, I dont have any maps.

Does it still run via steam or is there a way to run it without? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Doc
Apr-16-2013, 17:39
I love people that have money to burn. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Torian
Apr-17-2013, 00:53
Hi
I want to run a dedicated server on a leased line on a rack server.

I dont have any maps.

Does it still run via steam or is there a way to run it without? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

U may need to PM Bliss or Colander about using a dedicated hosting company. I have no idea there.
There are some basic dogfight maps that are included in the game if that is all u are after. The maps u see on ATAG are a product of a monumental amount of scripting and the guys responsible have spent more time creating them than playing the game. Even I can create a very basic map to host but if u want to utilise the full potential of what can be done then u would need to learn how to use C# (I think) and get right into scripting.
Steam, unfortunately, is what all servers must run thru. It's a bottleneck and at the moment there is no way around it.

bone head
Apr-17-2013, 04:48
I love people that have money to burn. :thumbsup:

If only ;)

Ive been running IL2 servers since the game came out Doc, its done on a shoestring and supported by the guys at Battle-Fields.com (servers used to be called UK_Dedicated and now B-F). We have a rack hosted in a broom cupboard in a factory and attached to their leased line. We dont have masses of bandwidth but we have enough to run several servers and as the IL2 servers arent always busy I thought I might use one of the spare machines to run a ClOD server.

bone head
Apr-17-2013, 08:10
Do I still need to buy the game for every dedicated server I run it on? Or is there a way to run it without needing seperate licences. I can get the server working using my copy of steam but havent worked out how to run it without having to log in each time.

Basha
Apr-17-2013, 13:02
Hi, i ran a dedi server on my clans rented box for a while but because of all the scripting that needs to be done we basically gave up on it i would love to get a server up but again its all the extra bits needed, here is a thread i started on 1C ages ago it may help you get started

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=26463

and the main server "How to" here

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=26463

Good luck with it :)

bone head
Apr-17-2013, 18:19
Hi basha, looks like both those links go to same thread :)

Ive been busy reading all day and messing with the server. Lots of old post on scripting, in fact it looks like most folk have given up on it too :)

Im sure if i had devoted the last 15 years to something sensible rather than gaming id be rich and still have allmmy hair!

Dutch
Apr-18-2013, 19:36
Hallo Bonehead!

I can't answer any of your questions, but I'd just like to say that it's nice to see a 'BF's' Chap here. Had many a good romp on the BFs servers way back when. Nice to see you here mate (Arf, Arf!). :thumbsup:

I think the chap whose trademark that was had the handle 'monkey', or 'notamonkey' or summat.....ARF!! :D

bone head
Apr-21-2013, 17:35
Hi!
I got it all sorted anyhow :)

Happy landings!