PDA

View Full Version : Spit mk.IIa corner speed and other questions

trooph
Apr-21-2013, 09:33
Hi.
I've been struggling with few things recently and i found that im rubbish at dogfighting other players.
I can shoot down a bomber, alright... But when it comes down to fight with 109 i cant defeat anyone at all..
Even when im turning they still can get me without any problems.
So there is my first question: Corner speed for spits and hurris. Could anyone share their knowledge about it?
Another one regarding engine control.
Usually im flying with 90% prop which is around 2800 rpm 70-80% rads open and full throttle without WEP.
Could someone give me few hints about this aswell?

I think my loadout is great for fighters and bombers as i can light them up pretty quickly when i actually get on their tail.
1xball 1x AP 1x dewilde in each gun with innermost guns set to 400yrds and rest of them to 200yrds
Im just struggling with this :) I know im inexperienced and it takes time but its always worth to ask some who knows better. Im trying hard to read all i can about dogfighting tactics with spits.

Cheers
Trooph

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Apr-21-2013, 10:26
Trooph, there's no one-size-fits-all to dogfighting. What ever your turning speed, or engine settings, you will always be compromising one advantage in order to achieve another.

To consistently survive and then to get kills you'll need experience, and loads of it.

The best thing you can do it get on to teamspeak. Teamwork wins fights.

ATAG_Septic
Apr-21-2013, 10:29
Hi Trooph,

I'm no Ace but will offer a few suggestions.

You might try using plenty of WEP below ~15k and control temps with prop-pitch. It's often useful to lower pitch to around 60% (around 2600rpm) when acceleration is not needed as speed doesn't drop but the temps do. With the Spit 2a you can abuse the engine when low down, same with the 1a 100oct but it is much more fragile whilst being a little quicker low down.

Your weapons loadout looks good to me.

I often use elevator trim to tighten a turn in an emergency, I have it mapped to a good axis which has a centre. This enables a turn inside a 109 but it bleeds a lot of energy.

Good luck old chap!

Septic.

Edit What Pstyle said as well :D

Kwiatek
Apr-21-2013, 13:53
When i turning and dogfighting in Spit or Hurricane vs 109 i dont think about corner speed. You need just to turn efficently quite hard but always above stall speed then you should be able to outurn 109 no metter of speed range. Spitfire or Hurricane is always better then 109 in turn fight. 109 is better in dive and sustained climb rate. Keep engine at least at 2850 RPM ( not less), radiator could be open and below 10 000 ft use your WEP. Speed is important in vertical manouvers and sustained slow climbs when you have to be carefully to not stall or engine overheating. I have no problem to outdogfight any 109 if they try to dogfight - only these ones with more experience just take me little more time :P The worst thing is still visiblilty of planes in CLOD so some of 109 are just lucky and dissaperd from my view.

Catseye
Apr-21-2013, 19:36
Hi Trooph,
One of the best things I have found in getting the hang of ACM is to team up with someone in either similar or dissimilar aircraft and engage. Discuss what worked and what did not and what the other guy did when and how. It does take time.

Having said that, just a couple of things that some pilots utilize:

Keep your airspeed up. If you can engage at a higher closing speed than the bandit you are 1 up. I try to not let it fall below 180 mph (when in a circle fight) which for me gets my Spit into a good rate of turn. But. . . I prefer to be between 200 and 220 for a good corner turn if I have to evade or pull some extra g's to put the bandit on my 12 o'clock.

Fly the "elbow". A lot of pilots try to pull hard on the stick to get the nose ahead of the bandit for a lead shot. This can make your airspeed fall too low. Better to fly the "elbow" - ie., point your nose in lag pursuit behind the tail of the bandit then pull a bit harder at the right time to put your nose onto the bandits six. Flying lag pursuit will allow you to keep your speed up while the bandit is bleeding his and you still have a margin to pull on his six when the time is right.

Do NOT yank and bank! That is the easiest way to loose airspeed and thereby maneouverability.

There are tonnes more - do a google search for Shaw ACM.

Again, get a pilot to work with you for a bit.

If you see me online and on teamspeak, feel free to give me a shout and I would be happy to spend some time with you in a friendly clinic anytime.

Cheers,
Catseye

ps. As CLOD is now - I recommend that you load up with either all White Tracer or a mix of White Tracer and Ball until the next patch comes out with a corrected damage and weapons model.

ATAG_Snapper
Apr-21-2013, 20:34
Hey Trooph, tons of great advice here! :thumbsup:

You've found what we've all found: in the right hands a well-flown 109 is deadly. Together with all the useful tips above I can only suggest:

Don't fight the enemy's fight. Don't play into his hands. His strength on a level playing field is speed, acceleration, roll rate, energy retention, and tactics. So...

1). Never climb up to a 109 to do battle.

2). If there's two of them and only one of you: scram!

3). Never chase a 109 for more than a few seconds. His unseen wingmate will nail you. Guaranteed.

4). Never "scissors" with a 109. The 109 will get the angle on you and put shots into you. Climb/barrel role upwards to retain your energy and dive down on him.

5). Don't play the porpoise game. Hold a steady course (but not more than a few seconds; see (3) above) and gain on him as he climbs and bunts while you save energy.

6) Height is paramount; speed is life. Don't be caught low and slow. With the TF patch our Spitfires can climb now. Live in the 22K - 23K sub-contrail zone, but get there by climbing in "safe" territory -- NOT the active combat areas bounded by Manston -- Dungeness to the west and Dunkirk -- Wissant to the east. It does take 15 minutes or so to get up there where now YOU'RE the hunter....is this time required worth it to you?

7) Fly in S-curves a LOT and watch your six about 90% of the time. Really. 90%.

8) Knock out/disable every bit of anti aliasing you can find. The video settings, Nvidia Control Panel. No SweetFX, SMAA, InjectX, FXAA, you name it. Their function is to render your surroundings beautiful, including blending those pesky little dots into the background. Beauty will get you killed. I would even advise you to lower your game resolution to make the dots easier to see, but I'm not a sadist.

9) Further to (8), really LOOK for those dots. I guarantee that if you spot one, that dot has already spotted YOU thirty seconds earlier. Start climbing or running, but decide quickly either way.

That's it! Good luck! :D

trooph
Apr-22-2013, 01:56
some great advices here. thank You all. have to get back on ts. i will test those tracers with ball for sure all thou i dont like enemy to see when im shooting at him:) i will test and try to fly as advised here today.

cheers
Trooph

Edit:
I am simply stunned with new ammo belt setup. Short burst stops a bomber.. If u aim for engines:)
Also managed to keep up a fight with one 109 for several mins before he got me due to my mistake. As advised i didnt play his game.. Untill i began doing so:)