0 proppitch
210 MPH IAS
21,300feet.
temp indicate 95 degrees on oil
water 111degrees

everysingle time

Dutch
Apr-29-2013, 09:02
As a rule of thumb, I find it best to maintain revs at 2600rpm on the climb, which means throttling back to +5 boost over a certain altitude, because you're already in full coarse pitch.

I fly with between 35 and 50% radiator at all times and find this works a treat. Water Temp stays at around 100, but now and again I'll throttle back further to lessen the oil temp.

Have to say I'm loving the new MkI 100oct. :thumbsup:

Mastiff
Apr-29-2013, 09:50
thats level cruising straight and level no climbing.
boosting is at 1.2

I dont know why its blowing up

I dont know what the new temps are there no paper work on this new VP Spit 100oct

Dutch
Apr-29-2013, 09:58
Yeah, but your rpms are still 100 too high. The book says 2600rpm for max sustained cruise, and max sustained temp 95 for water, 90 for oil (the pilot's notes that is).

I'm not sure what the wiki says, but I fly according to the pilot's notes I have, and they work fine.

If you see me on comms, I'd be happy to team up for a sortie. :thumbsup:

Dutch
Apr-29-2013, 11:38
Sorry Mastiff, I lied!! :D

I just checked and my water temp stays at 109, which is theoretically outside the manual's limits but fine for the game. But at 23k ft I'm at -2 boost and 2500rpm or so to keep things sweet. Up there the only thing to do is to throttle back when your temps start climbing. I don't like opening the rad as this increases drag. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Osprey
Apr-29-2013, 12:00
Yeah 2700 seems a bit high for cruising. You go just as fast dropping that right down, stay cool and you can fire it up for darting climbs when you need to.

(I fly the Hurricane but it's very similar in engine control)

RAF74_Buzzsaw
May-01-2013, 02:28
Salute

The Spit I has the Merlin II engine.

This was an earlier generation of the Merlin III engine which equipped the Spit IA, and was noted for having various mechanical issues which were pinpointed as in need of re-design and which could lead to failures.

With the Merlin III, most of these issues were addressed in re-designs by Rolls Royce.

Both the Merlin II and Merlin III were not originally designed to run on 100 octane at +12 boost, and in the case of the Merlin II, the chance of failure of the original weak points was increased considerably when using high boost and rpm.

Players need to be very careful not to exceed the rpm limits and not to allow temperatures to rise too high.

Remember that engine 'core' temperatures near the bearings and in the cylinder head can sometimes be higher than what is reading on the cockpit dash instruments, and sustained high boost and rpm at low speeds/high climb angles can sometimes cause failure at apparent 'safe' temperatures.

Opening the rad to full open is generally the best solution during low speed/max rate climbs, the drag at these low speeds is not very much of a handicap to climb times. Once you level out, and your speed increases, you can start to close down the rad incrementally to increase the max speed, the increased airflow will improve cooling. Just remember that if you go back into low speed, high AOA maneuvers, you will need to open the rad up again.

Remember also to carefully warm your engine before takeoff, temps should be minimum 40c for Oil and 60c for Coolant BEFORE you start to taxi. This is best accomplished at idle rpms, attempts to speed up the rise in temps during ground warmup by using higher rpms can actually damage the engine and lead to later failure. This game is quite a bit more complex than might appear on the surface.

ATAG_Snapper
May-01-2013, 08:10
I'm finding the Spitfire 1 100 octane very challenging to fly well, yet the most personally rewarding of all the Spits. Cockpit workload is high compared to the other marks, and a constant eye must be kept on the rpms. As Buzzsaw as remarked, temps don't always indicate when the engine is about to break!

But it sure is fun to fly and fight in! :thumbsup:

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
May-01-2013, 08:15
Agree with Snapper.
Fast becoming my favorite ride.

reflected
May-08-2013, 05:49
Haha Snapper, that's my personal Spit "Stardust" in your signature :D P1984 - QJ-G. I'm glad you like that screenshot! ;)

By the way, I can fly the MKI 100oct at 2850 RPM, rad 60%, oil @95, water@112 with no problems. I'm not sure why it blows up for you.

ATAG_Snapper
May-08-2013, 09:32
Haha Snapper, that's my personal Spit "Stardust" in your signature :D P1984 - QJ-G. I'm glad you like that screenshot! ;)

By the way, I can fly the MKI 100oct at 2850 RPM, rad 60%, oil @95, water@112 with no problems. I'm not sure why it blows up for you.

Well, I'm honoured! :salute: My sig pic was designed and generously given me by a fellow forum member. It depicts my two dogs Riley (famous for helping defeat the Luftwaffe flying a Spitfire in the world-acclaimed flick, "Dogs of Dover"), and his very energetic sister, Chloe.

Thanks for sharing those settings -- will have to try 'em out!

For those who missed the original premiere of Dogs of Dover, here it is. Hard to believe that it's been two years since I made this!:stunned:

https://vimeo.com/26436708

Dutch
May-08-2013, 12:18
Blimey Snapper old chum, I'd not seen that since you first posted it over at bananarama! :D

There're a couple of things in that clip I miss, such as the mist under the cliffs and especially the incredibly satisfying explosion of the 109s fuel tank..........

(Knock, knock) Team Fusion!! (Knock knock) Team Fusion!! (Knock knock) Team Fusion!!

:)

ATAG_Freya
May-09-2013, 00:41
Hah! nice shooting Snapper...er...Riley...er...you know, the hairy one...:thumbsup:

just two questions: who pee'd on the tires before the flight for good luck? And were any milkbone's harmed during the making of this video?

Talisman
May-09-2013, 11:41
Well, I'm honoured! :salute: My sig pic was designed and generously given me by a fellow forum member. It depicts my two dogs Riley (famous for helping defeat the Luftwaffe flying a Spitfire in the world-acclaimed flick, "Dogs of Dover"), and his very energetic sister, Chloe.

Thanks for sharing those settings -- will have to try 'em out!

For those who missed the original premiere of Dogs of Dover, here it is. Hard to believe that it's been two years since I made this!:stunned:

https://vimeo.com/26436708

The best CloD movie ever! Warms the cockles of me art, me old china plate.