PDA

View Full Version : Nvidea or AMD graphics card for CoD?

Archie
Apr-30-2013, 02:47
With the new patch I am starting to think about upgrading my old comp, a Q6600 with a GTX285 card.To be fair it plays CoD fine, and is very stable, but I am missing the eye candy that seems to be taken for granted these days!
Sooo, I am looking at I5 2500k/3570k, but am not sure about the graphics card to use. Price wise, I don't really want to go above the nvidea 660 2GB or the amd 7850 or 7950 2GB range. I'm not a fanboy of any particular vendor.
Any ideas about what works better for CoD?

9./JG52 Ziegler
Apr-30-2013, 08:02
I've been told that the 660ti is quite a nice card, value for money. I almost bought one but got a good deal on a 670FTW instead.

Royraiden
Apr-30-2013, 08:12
Im no fanboy,I had a Radeon 5850 and replaced it with a gtx 670 and the difference it made was astonishing.Not only the performance increases but now Im able to run the sim at the highest settings and anti aliaising is at last working properly.It feels like a new sim altogether.I have read that ATI cards were giving odd arrtifacts ,although I did not have those, keep that in mind.

ATAG_Headshot
Apr-30-2013, 08:26
A lot of people with ATI cards have been reporting graphics glitches and bugs. Stick with nVidia for CloD in my opinion

Dutch
Apr-30-2013, 08:30
If you mean that you're going to buy one, and want to decide between the two, for Cliffs of Dover I'd recommend Nvidia every time. Prior to the card in the sig, I was ATI every time.

If you recall during development, Oleg and Luthier only ever mentioned testing Nvidia cards, having an 'arrangement' with Nvidia, and at the Igromir show, the demo pcs were all fitted with Nvidia cards. Add to this all the problems existing AMD users are experiencing with the sim, including some very seasoned and experienced veterans, the choice is pretty plainly marked out.

Personally, I changed from AMD to Nvidia partly for this reason, but also because AMD/ATI refused to talk to 777 studios when ATI cards were giving huge problems over there.

Also, it doesn't have to be a mega card. The one in my sig runs the game mostly at the 60fps limit imposed by v-sync fine with everything on High @ 1920x1080, which leaves enough room to get decent frame rates for video capture. I wish now that I'd waited a bit for the 2gig cards to come out, as I do still get the occasional stutter.

The downside is that I don't think the Nvidia control panel is anywhere near as user friendly as Catalyst Control Centre, but the results I got by changing, and what seems to be a general consensus, points to NVidia without much argument.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

1lokos
Apr-30-2013, 10:07
.I have read that ATI cards were giving odd arrtifacts ,although I did not have those, keep that in mind.

This artifact issues - dashed lines in border of closest LOD, bands on beachs...
happens with ATI new models, like 7xxx:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4211&p=44230#post44230

I am "happy" user of HD7970... :(

For CLoD ATI :thmbdwn:

Sokol1

III./ZG76_Saipan
Apr-30-2013, 13:52
yep, get the 3570k and an nvdia.

Arthursmedley
Apr-30-2013, 15:04
I've just got myself an EVGA 660ti 3gb and I am very, very pleased with the results. It replaced my venerable old GTX460 756mb card and the difference is startling to say the least. I can thoroughly recommend it.

As to whether Nvidia or ATI is best? I could not tell you as I only have flight sims installed on my PC. However, every flight-sim forum I've been a member of has reams and reams of stuff to do with problems with AMD/ATI cards. Most of these problems can be solved with some tweaking but do you want to fiddle around with settings of an evening or just fly? Go for an Nvidia GPU.

Archie
Apr-30-2013, 16:01
Seems pretty conclusive! Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

vranac
May-01-2013, 06:23
Maybe its not the best moment to upgrade your PC.There are some rumours that nvidia will launch 7xx series cards in May
and Intel will launch Haswell at 4th of June.
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2013/4/22/the-2013-nvidia-lineup-gtx780-is-titan-le2c-gtx770-is-gtx6802c-gtx760ti-is-gtx670.aspx

They will not be revolutionary better but the prices for the old series may go down a bit in a month or two.
And there is the possibility that cheaper models of CPU could be OC'ed over the BCLK(FSB) so with ~170 $/EUR part
you could run it on 4.5 GHz which would be very nice.

http://www.chinadiy.com.cn/attachments/2013/04/18_2013041223080818gu6.jpg

Continu0
May-01-2013, 06:51
Hey

I have to throw in a good word for ATI. I have the white lines in the sea, but never had big issues with clouds (wich many Nvidia-users reported) or green smoke.

Personally i recently switched from an ATI 5870 to a 7870 Black Edition DD. I recommend having a look at overclocked cards like that!
With the 7870 BE DD I am quite happy!

Bearcat
May-20-2013, 22:20
I have rhe same card and I have no issues at all with CoD that are GPU related.. I started out as an ATI guy and went to NV with the 6800 back in the day.. This 7870 is the foirst ATI card I have bought since 2004 but I have absolutely no problems at all with it..