PDA

View Full Version : DCS: UH-1C Huey Available for Pre purchace - Beta availiable!

Skoshi_Tiger
Apr-30-2013, 19:37
And I thought I'ld gotten over my obsessive compulsive purchasing of flight sims! Guess I haven't!
$49.99USD -

Downloading now!

530MB size and downloading fast using the torrent 460kB/s
And my boy has just woken up and are face timing his friend to set up a all day session of Minecraft!!!!
And my wife is planning to dig up the front yard to make a "edible garden" using "wicking beds" (Gues whoes expected to do the digging! :doh:

Go kick a ball around the back yard Daddys using the computer!

Dutch
Apr-30-2013, 19:52
Skoshi, go for a beer. 49.99??? Ok........:doh:

Skoshi_Tiger
Apr-30-2013, 20:03
Good point Dutch! I remember it in future.

RULE #1: Always drink beer before buying stuff over the Internet!

;)

Huey Beta downloaded but now the update for DCS world - over a Gigabyte has started up - this may take a while!

Dutch
Apr-30-2013, 20:16
Hmmm, spent a full day trying to get to grips with the Frogfoot, after weeks and weeks trying to get to grips with the A-10, and then I thought 'Shouldn't you be enjoying the sunshine, the fresh air, the beauty of the world at dawn???'

Then i thought 'Naaah, get back online with Cliffs of Dover mate, it's always sunny there'. :)

But anyway, I have a feeling that DCS are on to something, and I really wish I'd bought the P-51 when it was reduced to 9,99 in March, but I missed it. Snarl. :(

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Apr-30-2013, 23:44
Screw the in-game updater it downloads at 30kb/s I just re-downloaded the entire 6gb game via torrent. a lot less waiting around

Skoshi_Tiger
May-01-2013, 09:01
Well I've successfully made myself and my crew violently air sick!

Seams like fun, once I learn how to fly the thing without porposing all over the sky I might be able to do something with it!

The weapon systems are fairly simple and easy to operate (had to disable track IR and use the mouse to aim) and are sufficiently LowTek to be fun!

Now where's my copy of 'Apocalypse Now' to get inspired!

Dutch
May-01-2013, 09:04
Haha! Just put 'Ride of the Valkyries' on loop play..........:thumbsup:

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
May-01-2013, 14:30
Does DCS UH1 have any features besides CAS and Transport? (such as sling loading, recon, fast roping, winch rescue or anything?)

One of the reasons I still like Take-On Helicopters is because you can feel when weight is added/removed from your aircraft. If someone is rappelling off the side, and hops off, it will affect the helicopter a little. Obviously TKOH isn't the best sim, but the multitude of tasks available and the scripting ability of the game make it fun. (hopefully the features get ported to ARMA3).

Skoshi_Tiger
May-03-2013, 00:19
After looking over my shoulder at my practice landings, my wife told me that if we ever had a 'big' Lotto win, she'ld be hiring a Helocopter pilot!

On the bright side, she told me that from what she had observed in COD, she'ld fly in a warbird quite happily with me as a pilot!

Hmmm! Roll on those lotto numbers!

Skoshi_Tiger
May-03-2013, 08:15
Does DCS UH1 have any features besides CAS and Transport? (such as sling loading, recon, fast roping, winch rescue or anything?)

One of the reasons I still like Take-On Helicopters is because you can feel when weight is added/removed from your aircraft. If someone is rappelling off the side, and hops off, it will affect the helicopter a little. Obviously TKOH isn't the best sim, but the multitude of tasks available and the scripting ability of the game make it fun. (hopefully the features get ported to ARMA3).

I don't think its implemented yet in the beta but there are some very interesting options in the FMOptions.lua file

CargoMass = 500.0;

DrawRope=0.0
DrawCargo=0.0;
CargoModelling=false;
CargoGround=false;

There is also a Cargo Hook light on the instrument pannel and a Cargo Hook release button in the control options.

Hopefully it will eventually make it into the sim. :thumbsup:

il_corleone
May-03-2013, 09:00
ITs beautifull, my cousin is a real pilot on the Spanish Navy , he agree that its very accurate, whit some little faults "bugs" but its the best expierence on flying an helicopter on a pc he told me. a good buy for sure! its not a gunship but its funny as hell , and you can do some damage whit it too!

Skoshi_Tiger
May-03-2013, 11:33
Just for fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXTdUAQHEO4&feature=youtu.be

As you can see my flying is quite erratic, unfortunately the recording stopped before I executed an unplanned landing (of the harsher kind!)

I'm not sure what it is , but, after playing a few missions I'm really digging flying the Iraquois! I owned Black shark from release, but it never really grabbed me.

Cheers!

ANON6_Wolfie
May-03-2013, 14:11
She is a handfull.

Here`s my first try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f03P7quhB4

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
May-03-2013, 18:52
I don't think its implemented yet in the beta but there are some very interesting options in the FMOptions.lua file

There is also a Cargo Hook light on the instrument pannel and a Cargo Hook release button in the control options.

Hopefully it will eventually make it into the sim. :thumbsup:

Cool!

Now we just have to wait for DCS 'Nam map hehe :)

9./JG52 Ziegler
May-03-2013, 20:44
I missed that "sale" too Dutch. It was extended, they told me, to April 1st (told me on the 3rd) :grrr:

They look pretty realistic and I will have to give it a go! I flew D and H model, slicks mostly, in the Army as a WO. I'm looking forward to trying this modeling out!

Skoshi_Tiger
May-06-2013, 05:39
After destroying a fair number of Iraquios I stumbled on this traing video by Furia40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-URVYxyIww4

It's helped me alot, using force trim to set up an initial stick position then using small imputs and anticipating the amount of input required then backing off and centering the stick.

I even managed to fly a few circuits without killing myself.

Now I just need to get the hang of consistantly going from forward flight into the hover without ploughing into the ground!

Cheers!

ANON6_Wolfie
May-18-2013, 20:33
Just had a little fun with the minigun :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5MQo9Sgo2g

Dutch
May-31-2013, 22:03
Bit of Practice. Looks more like an FSX vid..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yMcFdoj-L8&feature=youtube_gdata

ATAG_Snapper
May-31-2013, 22:38
I am impressed and I am inspired. I need another glass of wine before I try this again..... :)

Dutch
Jun-06-2013, 17:45
:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr_d5tAAlqQ&feature=youtube_gdata

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-06-2013, 19:33
"Get some! Get some!" (door gunner in Full Metal Jacket. When asked how he could shoot all those women and children? "Easy! You don't lead 'em so much! Haha!")

Great secondary explosions in that convoy. Dutcho, you've become a real, mean, killin' machine in that thing! Just remember: "Anyone running is a V.C.. Anyone standing still is a well-disciplined V.C. Hahaha!" (I loved that movie :D).

But please do me a favour. Ditch the guitar plinking and roll out some CCR, if you please! :-)

Dutch
Jun-06-2013, 20:15
But please do me a favour. Ditch the guitar plinking and roll out some CCR, if you please! :-)

Aww, shucks. I thought 'The Deerhunter' was kinda subtle. Well, ok then, maybe it was a bit wimpy. :D

Skoshi_Tiger
Jun-07-2013, 02:04
Although I didn't pick up the deer hunter link, I thought the music was nice change to the aggro-death-metal-head-banger music that normally backs up the video's.

I see you picked up a few bullet holes in the left side of the windscreen, was that from the armoured cars in the column or those pesky foot soldiers around the parked trucks?

Cheers and thanks for the video.

Injerin
Jun-07-2013, 03:33
Of course I already posted this lol, but this is my crappy flying when I started,,,,still working on the landings lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlAMezlFF3o

Dutch
Jun-07-2013, 05:00
I see you picked up a few bullet holes in the left side of the windscreen, was that from the armoured cars in the column or those pesky foot soldiers around the parked trucks?

Well spotted Skoshi old bean :D. It was from the armoured cars in the moving column. The foot soldiers either shat it and ran or died on my first pass with the guns, although one of 'em kept on running around like a headless chicken. But maybe he was! :thumbsup:

It'd be a great addition if DCS would produce one of your namesakes too by the way. Always been fond of the F5, ever since the early Airfix kit in the 60s. :D

Skoshi_Tiger
Jun-07-2013, 10:46
Those soldiers seam to get me more times than not!

It'd be a great addition if DCS would produce one of your namesakes too by the way. Always been fond of the F5, ever since the early Airfix kit in the 60s. :D

I'ld put in a vote for the F-5 as well, They are (were) a neat little plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJD2CHticqg

I've been using the Skoshi Tiger tag for a while now. I used to fly it exclusively in the old Janes Combat sims (would have to dig out the boxes to find which expansion pack it belonged to!)

The A7 Corsair in development looks promising! It would be fun to get enough variety of planes to do Vietnam era missions.

Cheers! :)

Skoshi_Tiger
Jun-13-2013, 10:27
Just having a bit of fun editing with movie maker and putting in a sound track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLM1rWF9P2Q&feature=youtu.be

Though replaying the track shows a few issues with the track playback in DCS. There must be some kind of issue with the location of the helicopter and where the rockets land. I'm sure I didn't miss on that first salvo, and I am doublely sure I didn't fly through those trees!!

Anyway Cheers!

Dutch
Jun-14-2013, 20:39
Only just noticed what's in the pipeline from DCS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKYg8PBZaiM

Also 'dedicated server support' seems to be on it's way......

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1786617#post1786617

Recoilfx
Jun-15-2013, 11:18
Hehe, dedicated server supported has been "on the way" forever... i won't hold my breath over it :) They won't consider it seriously till EDGE is released anyhow, and that's probably still a year away...

ATAG_Bliss
Jun-15-2013, 17:02
Hehe, dedicated server supported has been "on the way" forever... i won't hold my breath over it :) They won't consider it seriously till EDGE is released anyhow, and that's probably still a year away...

I've felt the same way, but this is the first time I've actually seen dedicated support talked about in a long time. If they get a real dedicated server tool and have a sim that can handle the amount of airplanes/objects that IL2/Clod can, this will be a huge step in the DCS world.

We already know WWII stuff is coming and they have a new WWII "partner" :D

This may end up being the complex WWII sim many of have been wanting.

Dutch
Jun-19-2013, 08:41
This may end up being the complex WWII sim many of have been wanting.

Well I hope it'll end up being the complex war sim in general. I also hope that this 'EDGE' business will bring a much needed revamp to the landscape/sea. I still maintain that the DCS environment is no better than IL2 maps such as the slovakia map, even if the scale is better. Maybe the roads don't zig-zag in a very angular fashion in DCS, but it does need a serious revamp. It's probably the major reason I keep on trying stuff in DCS, but keep going back to Cliffs of Dover. Well, that and Spitfires and Hurricanes and Blenheims and the Battle of Britain. And all that. :D

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-19-2013, 10:13
Maybe the roads don't zig-zag in a very angular fashion in DCS, but it does need a serious revamp. It's probably the major reason I keep on trying stuff in DCS, but keep going back to Cliffs of Dover. Well, that and Spitfires and Hurricanes and Blenheims and the Battle of Britain. And all that. :D

Every video of DCS I've ever looked at has made be wince at the landscapes. I like their apparent attention to FMs, but in order to win me over they'd need both excellent landscape texturing and a competent damage/ impact/ ballistics model.

Dutch
Jun-19-2013, 10:54
a competent damage/ impact/ ballistics model.

:D Tell me about it. I couldn't believe the power of the six .50 cals on the P-51. I took down a large transport plane with a less than one second burst. Sheesh. Enough power to turn over a locomotive.........!

ATAG_Headshot
Jun-19-2013, 11:05
:D Tell me about it. I couldn't believe the power of the six .50 cals on the P-51. I took down a large transport plane with a less than one second burst. Sheesh. Enough power to turn over a locomotive.........!

Verses some things like ground targets and the cargo planes they can go quick but verses other combat aircraft that you can get it really depends where you hit. Some planes can survive the 50's quite well including other mustangs.

Dutch
Jun-19-2013, 11:09
Some planes can survive the 50's quite well including other mustangs.

Roger that, not tried it against other fighters yet, but that only emphasises Phil's point about DM, the Mustang packs a huge wallop, and it's armour plated, too.......:recon:

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-19-2013, 13:53
Every video of DCS I've ever looked at has made be wince at the landscapes. I like their apparent attention to FMs, but in order to win me over they'd need both excellent landscape texturing and a competent damage/ impact/ ballistics model.

The landscape texturing is a WIP with EDGE and it's a fair point - it's ok to fly around in but CloD is better looking. The damage / impact / ballistics model is massively better than CloD - the only point that needs some attention is the actual visible damage. But the ballistics and damage from impact is highly modelled - if you check out the after action report it shows exactly each time the enemy fired at you and whether it was a miss or it it was hit. If it was a hit it says what damage it did right down to tiny little areas of damage like a solenoid being taken out of action. This damage can also lead to cascading failures over time. The buggy current CloD functionality really can't compare to be honest.

ATAG_Headshot
Jun-19-2013, 14:17
Roger that, not tried it against other fighters yet, but that only emphasises Phil's point about DM, the Mustang packs a huge wallop, and it's armour plated, too.......:recon:

I absolutely love using the K-14 Gyro gunsight. When you get it all set up right and manage to lay a good burst into another aircraft it feels amazing. Seeing some of the bullets sparking and exploding is fantastic too. I really feel like I have done some damage using the Mustangs 50's when I line up right. I can't wait for the TF patch to add more bullet hit effects. Those 50's sure feel more menacing than the spits guns in Dover. Then again they are bigger...

Royraiden
Jun-19-2013, 22:26
Sale is already up.I just bought the Mustang :) Downloading the DCS World right now.I have a lot of reading ahead of me :doh:

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jun-20-2013, 06:38
I saw that Roy. Looks like the sale is on through the 30th of this month. It is a rather more complex set up for sure and will take some time but for some that is the draw. I'm going to grab the A10 while the sale is on also. :thumbsup:

PS: how do different folks set up the collective/throttle for the huey and shark? Use a double throttle on the left maybe?

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-20-2013, 06:55
Picked up the Huey last night. Time to die a hundred deaths tonight as I plow into the ground, other buildings, lose rotor masts and generally kill all around me.

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-20-2013, 07:05
PS: how do different folks set up the collective/throttle for the huey and shark? Use a double throttle on the left maybe?

I have an X-52 Pro and plan to use the main throttle for the collective and then use the thumb rotary for the RPM - similar to how I use the Mustang's manifold pressure and RPM. Will see how it works in practice with choppers though...

Dutch
Jun-20-2013, 09:07
I have an X-52 Pro and plan to use the main throttle for the collective and then use the thumb rotary for the RPM - similar to how I use the Mustang's manifold pressure and RPM. Will see how it works in practice with choppers though...

I couldn't get the Huey's throttle to work with an axis on my G940, so the throttle is on one of the pov switches, and I use the whole double throttle as the collective, pulling up and back to increase rotor pitch, which is actually taking some getting used to, but it works for me. :D

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-21-2013, 06:33
I couldn't get the Huey's throttle to work with an axis on my G940, so the throttle is on one of the pov switches, and I use the whole double throttle as the collective, pulling up and back to increase rotor pitch, which is actually taking some getting used to, but it works for me. :D

Yeah I had the same problem - couldn't map the throttle to the axis as I had planned. Seems a bit strange that they didn't treat it the same as the RPM in the Mustang. But anyway mapped it to a POV hat on the stick and that seems to work works fine.

That's a good point about reversing the usual throttle motion to simulate raising the collective. I have it mapped the normal throttle way of pushing forward to increase. The detents on the X52 throttle are something of a hindrance too - right when you need some fine control there's a sticky point. But I like the detents for the Mustang so not sure about removing them even if it is easy to do.

Dutch
Jun-21-2013, 07:28
The detents on the X52 throttle are something of a hindrance too - right when you need some fine control there's a sticky point.

I'm sure it'll be different for your stick, but with the throttle 'reversed' as I mentioned, and the x axis saturation set at 90, the top end detent on my throttle corresponds perfectly with lift off , so it's worth fiddling with the curve to see if this approach works. It means the lift-off setting is much more obvious with the detent than without. Bit of a cheat maybe, but what the hell!

By the way, after initial sorties, the Black Shark is infinitely easier to control than the Huey, so much so I missed the challenge that the Huey provides. Hope they don't dumb it down too much when it comes out of beta.....

Mastiff
Jun-22-2013, 20:05
a couple of Huey pilots have stated that the real Huey is easier to hover and fly then what its at right now.

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-23-2013, 08:26
The real Huey must be very simple then! I'd never flown a helicopter sim until yesterday and could manage a decent hover pretty quickly. I think when the beta originally came out it was a bit squirrely but it seems pretty controllable now.

Mastiff
Jun-23-2013, 21:27
http://youtu.be/KXSeL_OQDPk

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Jun-24-2013, 03:51
Well I hope it'll end up being the complex war sim in general. I also hope that this 'EDGE' business will bring a much needed revamp to the landscape/sea. I still maintain that the DCS environment is no better than IL2 maps such as the slovakia map, even if the scale is better. Maybe the roads don't zig-zag in a very angular fashion in DCS, but it does need a serious revamp. It's probably the major reason I keep on trying stuff in DCS, but keep going back to Cliffs of Dover. Well, that and Spitfires and Hurricanes and Blenheims and the Battle of Britain. And all that. :D

You can make your own landscapes for DCS now, they released the tools:

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/All_about_land

All you need is 3d studio max, Global Mapper, and Photoshop.

So if you have an extra $4,000 and nothing but spare time on your hands, you should go make some sweet maps! :thumbsup:

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-24-2013, 13:24
The real Huey must be very simple then! I'd never flown a helicopter sim until yesterday and could manage a decent hover pretty quickly. I think when the beta originally came out it was a bit squirrely but it seems pretty controllable now.

Hmm, I'll have to see if the auto updater has ..... updated. Despite Dutch's help with stick settings, I've still been reduced to a subhuman mass of blubbering jelly in absolute frustration in trying to simply hover in one place. And trying to land on that blasted oil platform transforms me into early Cro Magnon.......:grrr:

Dutch
Jun-24-2013, 14:27
And trying to land on that blasted oil platform transforms me into early Cro Magnon.......:grrr:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNYcqO_n9xE&feature=youtube_gdata

Mastiff
Jun-25-2013, 21:46
what ever you do don't repair on the carrier, your ship falls through it.

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-26-2013, 01:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNYcqO_n9xE&feature=youtube_gdata

:thumbsup: