PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Cork, Ireland

cyclops
May-01-2013, 17:12
Hello everybody,

New user addicted to CLOD. I am still learning and burning, but the team here has made CLOD a pleasure to use. Fantastic work with Patch 3.0, and all the tips to get the game stable. I have has quite a long road to get here, and have only been dipping my toes in the water over the last 2 months. Much of it pretty frustrating with bugs and crashes, never online though, still can't work out my trim, or do complex engine management! I can't complain, as this is the best value game I ever played. Got it on Steam for 4.99! And you gents make it work properly. CLOD with Team Fusion 3.0, and SweetFX is fantastic. And as an IT guy, it has renewed my interest in PC hardware in a very selfish manner ( I am in networking).

Anyway I hope over the coming months I can learn the hard way, and maybe some day can be 10 percent of the Irish Ace Paddy Finnucane. Must get off the ground first. And return to it in one piece. Without spins or stalls...

Cheers

Mike

ATAG_Snapper
May-01-2013, 18:02
Hi Cyclops and welcome to the forum! :salute:

By all means grab Teamspeak 3 (it's free :thumbsup:) and a cheap microphone. It's easy to set up and will increase your enjoyment of online play a thousand times over. We're a friendly bunch, whether you choose to fly Blue, Red, or both. Using Teamspeak, we can get you up to speed in no time re Complex Engine Management etc and have you fly missions with us as you learn.

Looking forward to seeing you on the server!

Snapper

:)

Muffin
May-01-2013, 18:30
Welcome :maddriver:

Dutch
May-01-2013, 19:11
maybe some day can be 10 percent of the Irish Ace Paddy Finnucane.

No better ideal to aim for mate. Nice one!! :thumbsup:

cyclops
May-02-2013, 16:04
Thanks for the warm welcome fellas.

I had 2 tootles around online on ATAG server 1 this evening. A lesson in humility. Ruined my prop on first takeoff and managed to blow an oil gasket at 3000ft on my second attempt. To my credit I found an airfield and glided in for a crash landing, having seized the engine. I am off to get a large piece of humble pie, then practice the single player cross country for the next few hours. With all the hard stuff turned on...Great sport though.

Cheers

Mick

Osprey
May-03-2013, 06:32
It's tough for people new to combat flight sims cyclops, you have to bear in mind that lots of players have been doing this for years and years so I would recommend getting into comms and learning with others, especially in a squadron. It will improve your survival rate no end. Check PM mate.

~S~ Osprey

9./JG52 Ziegler
May-03-2013, 08:23
Welcome Cyclops and keep at it. It's great fun once your up and running well. Can't recommend Teamspeak 3 enough. Lots of very helpful folks willing to share their experiances. Look at Youtube for loads of "tutorials" on eveything from proper startup and engine management (by aircraft type), to tactics, loadouts and memorable missions etc....

Keep those radiators open full at first and try not to run full bore for more than a few minutes at a time to avoid engine probs. Over revving (prop control) is probably the biggest cause of self administered engine failures.

Klaus_Kaltherzig
May-18-2013, 09:49
Cead mile failte indeed my compatriot Cyclops - I'm currently living in Canada and mostly fly for the Luftwaffe these days but I am originally a Culchie neighbor of yours from Co. Waterford. This COD stuff is great crack and its awesome fun getting on-line and shooting down (and being shot down) by virtual (and some real) pilots from all over the globe. As stated by others the best part of all is getting on Teamspeak 3 and chatting with us - everybody is very friendly and keen to help b/c we all want as big and vibrant a flying community as we can get - also there's a fraternity of pilots atmosphere which even seems to exist virtually :salute:
Whether you are blue or red I hope to see you (before u see me :D) up there over the channel sure its only a short flight for you from where you are. Oh and by the way that Luftwaffe bombing of Cork thing that was just a navigational error :)

cyclops
May-18-2013, 19:14
Thanks Klaus, hope you have found a decent Blah over there in Canada. I am having great sport. I am a real rookie, and just have take off/landings, and now CEM. I am hooked. I have had my fair share of scrapes, but every mission is an adventure, and so absorbing and immersive. Regardless of my skills, and being easy pickings, I enjoy every minute, and everyone has been so welcoming.

Osprey
May-19-2013, 03:13
Hey Cyclops I hope you sorted out those connection problems you were experiencing last night mate, must be bloody frustrating! See you later, let's get you in some group flights tonight :-)

jaydee
May-19-2013, 03:36
Cead mile failte indeed my compatriot Cyclops - I'm currently living in Canada and mostly fly for the Luftwaffe these days but I am originally a Culchie neighbor of yours from Co. Waterford. This COD stuff is great crack and its awesome fun getting on-line and shooting down (and being shot down) by virtual (and some real) pilots from all over the globe. As stated by others the best part of all is getting on Teamspeak 3 and chatting with us - everybody is very friendly and keen to help b/c we all want as big and vibrant a flying community as we can get - also there's a fraternity of pilots atmosphere which even seems to exist virtually :salute:
Whether you are blue or red I hope to see you (before u see me :D) up there over the channel sure its only a short flight for you from where you are. Oh and by the way that Luftwaffe bombing of Cork thing that was just a navigational error :)
What a small world ! Is O Port Lairge Me(sorry no Fadas on my keyboard).....And I went to school in Wilton (Cork RTC)....Fond memories of "sir Henries " !!! See ya in the skies lads !...