PDA

View Full Version : miss shilling's orifice?

trooph
May-07-2013, 16:46
hey i just found a nice read about carb fed engines. Did Tf considered upgrading RAF fighters with this?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Shilling's_orifice
i know wikipedia isnt reliaable source but it says by the 1941all RAF ac's had it
. cheers for ur attention Trooph

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
May-07-2013, 17:38
I think TF will NOT implement this.

It's a sort-of field mod isn't it? Plus it's really a 1941 thing, implementation wise.
This could open up aircraft to calls for all sorts of upgrades/ modifications... I think it's territory best left untouched personally.

Dutch
May-07-2013, 19:24
I think TF will NOT implement this.

It's a sort-of field mod isn't it? Plus it's really a 1941 thing, implementation wise.

Well, while we're all flying in the summer/autumn of 1940, I hope TF don't.

Miss Schilling's erm, orifice, didn't appear until 1941. 'Field Mod' is a bit off the mark though. It was retro-fitted to existing planes, but included in all factory planes once it was proved to work. I'm taxing my memory here, but there wasn't a change to this until a couple of new carbs came around later in the war. Bendix and another one which I forget, and can't be bothered looking up. I think. It's a bit late here for deep thought, or indeed internet research.....:D

RAF74_Buzzsaw
May-07-2013, 20:44
'Miss Schillings Orifice' or the modification to the Merlin's carburetor's float system to reduce negative G cutout was a late Winter/early Spring 1941 field Mod, and will not be included in the game till the aircraft of that era, ie. Spit Va and 109F are added to the game. At that point we may then add 'late' versions of the Spit II and Hurricane II with this mechanical change. There may be no Spit I's with this change, as this aircraft was going out of service by the time the carb change was instituted. The change was done to all operational aircraft engines, beginning with Squadrons which were seeing a lot of combat, it was not just applied to new aircraft coming from the factory.

Dutch
May-07-2013, 20:50
'Miss Schillings Orifice' or the modification to the Merlin's carburetor's float system to reduce negative G cutout was a late Winter/early Spring 1941 field Mod, and will not be included in the game till the aircraft of that era, ie. Spit Va and 109F are added to the game. At that point we may then add 'late' versions of the Spit II and Hurricane II with this mechanical change. There may be no Spit I's with this change, as this aircraft was going out of service by the time the carb change was instituted. The change was done to all operational aircraft engines, beginning with Squadrons which were seeing a lot of combat, it was not just applied to new aircraft coming from the factory.

Yeah! So there! That's what I said (I still dispute 'field mod')! Thanks Buzz. :D :thumbsup:

Edit: Hmmm, Hurricane II? So that's the Merlin XX then........:D

Marmus
May-07-2013, 20:53
Really cool bit of history....thanks for sharing.

trooph
May-08-2013, 02:12
thank You for quick answers. :) cant wait till that patch than:) and sorry for my typo in topic title:) have a good day Lads

Wulf
May-08-2013, 05:39
Um, look, I really appreciate the official position on this, I really do, but I must reserve judgement until I've had the opportunity for a closer look. Does anyone have any close-up shots of Miss Shillings orifice?? PM me if you do........ :D

Gromit
May-08-2013, 08:29
Um, look, I really appreciate the official position on this, I really do, but I must reserve judgement until I've had the opportunity for a closer look. Does anyone have any close-up shots of Miss Shillings orifice?? PM me if you do........ :D

:)

personally, I'm hoping we never see the Spit V and Bf109F, it's bad enough already with the Spit iia and Bf109E4n, adding yet higher performance planes just limits the usability of the rest of the planeset and simply resets the spit v 109 battle higher up!
Imagine trying to fight a Bf109F in a Hurricane, oh dear!

Foul Ole Ron
May-08-2013, 08:40
If the E4/N is about us poor Hurricane pilots probably should have the MkII series 1. Would make things slightly more competitive for those later stage maps. Would make it more like the early stages map where the Hurricane is still outclassed but not horribly so and we get a greater mix of planes in the server overall as a result.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
May-08-2013, 08:45
:)

personally, I'm hoping we never see the Spit V and Bf109F, !

Agreed, sort of...

I'd like to see more of the earlier aircraft.

Fairey Battle
French Dewoitine D.520
French Flown P-36
French flown Hawk 75
Junkers JU-52

And then some effort could be put into Battle for France scenarios - something that's never really been done in flight sims to any concerted degree.

Muffin
May-08-2013, 09:13
does anyone have any close-up shots of miss shillings orifice?? Pm me if you do........ :d

lol lol lol lol :-)

Gromit
May-08-2013, 10:02
Stop that, I'll tell your mum!

Osprey
May-08-2013, 10:12
.......and will not be included in the game till the aircraft of that era, ie. Spit Va and 109F are added to the game. At that point we may then add 'late' versions of the Spit II and Hurricane II with this mechanical change. ......

I think Buzz just gave a little too much away :D

ATAG_Snapper
May-08-2013, 10:19
I read somewhere that the modification inventor, Miss Schilling, was quite proper and was horrified to learn of the pilots' nickname they adopted for her creation. LOL

Gromit
May-08-2013, 10:34
I think Buzz just gave a little too much away :D

Yeeeeah, MkVa, not b but a, oh dear!

no Hurricane iic I suppose?

RAF74_Buzzsaw
May-08-2013, 18:47
I read somewhere that the modification inventor, Miss Schilling, was quite proper and was horrified to learn of the pilots' nickname they adopted for her creation. LOL

She was not the type to be horrified by anything.

She was quite the tomboy, besides breaking ground as an engineer, raced motorcycles. She was given an award for lapping the Brooklands race track at 106 miles per hour on a Norton 500cc single. (that was in the '30's when to hit 100mph was a feat in itself)

She apparently wouldn't agree to marry her husband unless he proved he could race a bike at a minimum of 100mph on the same circuit. He was a Bomber Wing Commander during WWII and survived... quite a feat too.

Continu0
May-08-2013, 19:11
Agreed, sort of...

Fairey Battle
French Dewoitine D.520
French Flown P-36
French flown Hawk 75
Junkers JU-52

And then some effort could be put into Battle for France scenarios - something that's never really been done in flight sims to any concerted degree.

Agree, that would be nice!

Wulf
May-08-2013, 20:02
Agree, that would be nice!

I tend to swing the other way, if you'll excuse the expression. I'd much rather (yes, I know this is all magical thinking) see the classic confrontation between the Focke Wulf 190 and the Spitfire 5 on the map, and then the eventual introduction of the Mk 9, than some unequal, agonizing struggle between 109s and Fairey Battles. How many people would be willing to fly a Battle? You may just as well start up the motor and put a revolver in your mouth. They were a total disaster. Some of the French machines would be OK I guess, but just how interesting could you make a ferry flight to North Africa?

Marmus
May-08-2013, 20:13
Yet another thread that evolves into a ______ vs ______ plane set debate, LOL!!

Anyway, the story about Miss Shilling being a prude is classic! But her being a tomboy is even better!!!

Either way, I enjoy the human ingenuity that came from desperate necessity during the war. Just think of all the things that were developed during any war....kinda sad that it takes millions of people dying to make advancements. But also a sign that hopefully freedom will always prevail over tyranny.

Dutch
May-08-2013, 20:18
a sign that hopefully freedom will always prevail over tyranny.

Thankyou Mr, erm JG53 Marmus. 'Jagdgeschwader'. there has to be some irony there, surely.....(just joshing mate! :D )

ATAG_Snapper
May-09-2013, 10:07
She was not the type to be horrified by anything.

She was quite the tomboy, besides breaking ground as an engineer, raced motorcycles. She was given an award for lapping the Brooklands race track at 106 miles per hour on a Norton 500cc single. (that was in the '30's when to hit 100mph was a feat in itself)

She apparently wouldn't agree to marry her husband unless he proved he could race a bike at a minimum of 100mph on the same circuit. He was a Bomber Wing Commander during WWII and survived... quite a feat too.

Ah, I obviously heard wrong. Thanks for the clarification, Buzz. Well, if I'm going to err, let it be on the side of a lady's chasteness! LOL

Kodoss
May-09-2013, 13:21
Agreed, sort of...

Fairey Battle
French Dewoitine D.520
French Flown P-36

Junkers JU-52

The Curtiss P-36 is the Hawk H-75 (A-1 to A-4).

Just to throw more salt into the wound, my personal early A/C addon list would be:

Fairey Battle
Blackburn Skua MkII / Roc
Handley Page Hampton
French Fighter:
Bloch MB. 152
Dewotine D.520
Morane Saulnier MS 406
Curtiss Hawk 75 (A-1 to A-4)
French destroyer/light bomber
Potez 63 family (630/631/633/637/63.11) french counterpart to the Bf 110
Bloch MB. 174/175
Breguet 691 to 695
bomber
Douglas DB.7
Liore & Olivier LeO 451
Amiot 143 or Bloch MB.210 as mothball bomber
German:
Bf 109 D-1

Edit: That is just my personal favorite list for a Battle of France and not on the agenda of Team Fusion.

-Sven-
May-09-2013, 15:50
Fokker DXXI!

They were in Dutch and Finnish service, saw some action in May 1940, wasn't much good, but still a nice ride :)

I've got a special place in my heart for the French Breguet 693 aicraft, would love those in a Battle of France map :)