PDA

View Full Version : Hurrican damage model

Gromit
May-08-2013, 09:27
Is the Hurricane DM the standard one or has it been fiddled with?

I ask because I'm getting a bit perplexed the way this aircraft seems to lose controls , wings or even tails :stunned:?

Bearing in mind the Hurricane was the toughest single engine plane in the BoB, often returning with considerable battle damage, I'm somewhat baffled as to why it's so fragile in this game?

Mattias
May-08-2013, 09:53
:salute:

None of the DM's have been altered yet, so TF is not taking any responsibility for them :D
The DM's will most probably be revised in a future patch.

Cheers/m

Gromit
May-08-2013, 09:58
Fair enough, will have to soldier on with the cardboard and balsa wood version we have for now then :(

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
May-08-2013, 09:59
just stop getting shot Gromit!

Gromit
May-08-2013, 10:00
:-P

If it were that simple :P

Foul Ole Ron
May-08-2013, 10:12
It does seem weaker than the Spitfire when it comes to taking damage alright. Sometimes it seems to be made out of biscuits or something. I get the impression that the armour behind the pilot is less effective as well. Anyway I'm sure the TF DM review will turn up all manner of irregularities in all the planes and things will get better in the future. Until then I'll continue to do my impression of Brave Sir Robin anytime a E4/N shows up.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
May-08-2013, 10:24
Ive' really been enjoying flying the rotol over the past week or so. Seen fou ole ron up there a few times ;)

Foul, you been on TS much?
Let's try and get a few more hurris together and co-ordainte ourselves.

Gromit
May-08-2013, 10:30
It does seem weaker than the Spitfire when it comes to taking damage alright. Sometimes it seems to be made out of biscuits or something. I get the impression that the armour behind the pilot is less effective as well. Anyway I'm sure the TF DM review will turn up all manner of irregularities in all the planes and things will get better in the future. Until then I'll continue to do my impression of Brave Sir Robin anytime a E4/N shows up.

He's chickening out, and buggering off, and running away, braaaaave sir robin!

The battle hymn of the Hurricane pilot!

Foul Ole Ron
May-08-2013, 12:06
Foul, you been on TS much?
Let's try and get a few more hurris together and co-ordainte ourselves.

Haven't been on at all. I'll see about joining though my mic isn't the best.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
May-08-2013, 12:17
Haven't been on at all. I'll see about joining though my mic isn't the best.

Jump on TS, the teamwork will really help you.

You can get a good-enough mic and headset for £20.....

ATAG_Freya
May-09-2013, 00:49
Ah here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwuTo7zKM8

You Hurricane guys have my most heartfelt respect and admiration! One day when I'm on teamspeak I would love some training on it if your willing..

Tonester
May-09-2013, 04:47
Until then I'll continue to do my impression of Brave Sir Robin anytime a E4/N shows up.

Id do the same...i wouldnt want my 'Nostrils raped'. ;)

Muffin
May-09-2013, 07:30
Fair enough, will have to soldier on with the cardboard and balsa wood version we have for now then :(

Here is a prime example of the frail hurricane, It only took me 2 20mm shots to do this damage :D

http://i41.tinypic.com/2cdvjbc.jpg

Gromit
May-09-2013, 10:32
aaah yes that's the effect I was referring too, I recon they forgot to put the bolts in!

Damage model on the Hurri is abysmal, it loses it's tail just as easily, quite how you cut all those tubes with a 20mm is a mystery to me, hits to the wings or fuselage and loss of controls is almost guaranteed even with the 7.9mm on the E1.

I would ask TF to have a look at this when possible, It's bad enough the plane is so slow and won't climb, don't need a damage model this bad to rub salt into the wound, no wonder so few people fly them!

RAF74_Buzzsaw
May-09-2013, 23:50
Yes, there are issues with the Hurricane damage model, no we have changed nothing, but we hope to address the problems in the next patch.

(also problems with the 109's/Spits)

Is the Hurricane DM the standard one or has it been fiddled with?

I ask because I'm getting a bit perplexed the way this aircraft seems to lose controls , wings or even tails :stunned:?

Bearing in mind the Hurricane was the toughest single engine plane in the BoB, often returning with considerable battle damage, I'm somewhat baffled as to why it's so fragile in this game?

=vit_unit=
May-10-2013, 00:49
Interesting...what is the 109's DM problem?

Hurricains and Spitfires DM should be changed between each other. "As strong as an ox" spitfire always returns back home with critical damages. Hurries should be more armoured as spitfires right now.

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
May-10-2013, 06:04
Interesting...what is the 109's DM problem?

For starters the wet paper bag it has for a fuel tank.

Osprey
May-13-2013, 12:07
This is not the Hurricane's only problem. It's turning ability is under par than RL with a decent 109 pilot able to follow at most speeds, you can be right on the edge, spins come without warning and even an average 109 pilot can stay dangerously close to your tail for quite a while - too long. Let us not forget that this is an aeroplane which could out turn the Spitfire everywhere but very fast, and it could out turn the 109 with relative ease at all speeds. Still, one of my jobs to do it is get some evidence together for this so it can be proven, there's plenty of test data from WW2 docs out there. Sea Level speed is bang on, boost falls off way below FTH but I think that was accounted for in order to get the right speeds through altitudes.

The Hurricane is an understudy and all of the attention is toward the Spitfire, especially in the comparison to the 109.

LG1.Farber
May-13-2013, 15:51
I think the Hurri DM is reasonable. Could so of the wing losses be from the 10 G limit? The spit model is highly robust, so its interesting to note that red pilots notice it too, even if its because of the much more mortal Hurricane.

I am sure TF will deliver. :thumbsup:

Gromit
May-13-2013, 17:09
well if the Hurricane DM is reasonable the Spit and Bf109 are way way too tough, the Hurricane construction was a lot stronger and resilient than the monocoques of the Spit and 109, but in this game it's extremely fragile, any hits render it unairworthy, losing it's maneuverability, all you can do is wobble and limp back to base if your lucky enough to be left alone.

I have lost count of the times I have riddled a 109 with gunfire only to see it pull high g maneuvers, climbs and turns after taking damage, in the Hurricane once hit your a sitting duck, it's plainly inccorect one way or the other!

Mattias
May-13-2013, 17:27
well if the Hurricane DM is reasonable the Spit and Bf109 are way way too tough, the Hurricane construction was a lot stronger and resilient than the monocoques of the Spit and 109, but in this game it's extremely fragile, any hits render it unairworthy, losing it's maneuverability, all you can do is wobble and limp back to base if your lucky enough to be left alone.

I have lost count of the times I have riddled a 109 with gunfire only to see it pull high g maneuvers, climbs and turns after taking damage, in the Hurricane once hit your a sitting duck, it's plainly inccorect one way or the other!

I personally agree the hurricane is terrebly fragile compared to the spit, but comparing it with the 109 is hard since they are attacked with different ammo. My sqad usually warm up with a little 109 vs 109 dogfighting and my impression is that the 109 is as fragile as the hurry when hit by m-geschoss. Wings are flying all over the place :D

(Please note that I'm not involved in any DM modding, this is just my personal observations)

Cheers/m

LG1.Farber
May-13-2013, 17:58
Yet hit another 109 with a 109 :stunned:

Ammo is a large part of the Dm now I suppose.

Mattias
May-13-2013, 18:08
Yet hit another 109 with a 109 :stunned:

You should try it -it's fun! :D

Make a mission where you can take a shot of an unaware enemy fighter. Try it with a hurry, spit and 109 and observe the result :devilish:

(For some reason I have not tried it myself against a 110, but that would be interesting as well of course)

Cheers/m

Robo.
May-13-2013, 18:43

I personally agree the hurricane is terrebly fragile compared to the spit, but comparing it with the 109 is hard since they are attacked with different ammo. My sqad usally warm up with a little 109 vs 109 dogfighting and my impression is that the 109 is as fragile as the hurry when hit by m-geschoss. Wings are flying all over the place :D

(Please note that I'm not involved in any DM modding, this is just my personal observations)

Cheers/m

I agree on the different types of ammo effect. Panzerbrandgranate on a 109 wing and it breaks like it's made of porcelain. It's rather rare to shoot it off with a .303 burst, but not impossible when you shoot at your ideal convergence range. The other typical effect of 109 on 109 is elevator control loss, 8/10 of fuselage hits end up with some broken rods although all seems intact. Still, 109 vs 109 is great fun and superb acm training :thumbsup: Not that this matters for the actual historical gameplay of course.

The DM in this sim is certainly fantastic and complex enough, it just seems to need some tweaking. :salute:

And yes, Hurricane is slow but fragile. :)

Gromit
May-14-2013, 10:01
I don't expect to de wing 109's in fact I'm highly dubious it was happening very often even with Hispanos, the point is damage a 109 and it remains aerobatic until the pilot dies or the engine is hit, damage a Hurricane and the plane is a limping wreck even when hit by an E1, that's the real issue, rather than whether a .303 can knock a wing off, compare the real strength of the Hurricane to our version-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co0QUNdOBao

Shamelessly pinched from another thread, but it does give an example of how much punishment a Hurricane can take without falling to pieces, not saying he flew it home mind you!

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
May-14-2013, 11:40
109 pilots have been saying the same thing about Spitfires for ages. If you don't kill the pilot, the Spit will make it home.

Osprey
May-15-2013, 11:45
I don't think you'll ever be satisfied tbh naf. This is a Hurricane DM thread anyway, but your 2 contributions have been about your complaint that you sustain fuel leaks when getting struck in the fuel tank and that most of the Spitfires you strike make it home (even though they already are home). It's good, because knowing that you have a huge bias toward the Luftwaffe when you post therefore we can selectively ignore any point you make as unfairly presented.

ATAG_Snapper
May-15-2013, 12:06
Looks like this thread has run its course on the OP topic of Hurricane damage. It received a response from a TF member. I'm sure ALL DM's will be scrutinized and adjusted as necessary in the next patch to bring them as close to historical accuracy as possible.