PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Update 05/11/13: Visual Effects WIP video - enjoy

Mysticpuma
May-11-2013, 11:03
Footage shows new ground explosion effects with frames-per-second improvements to the standard effects. Also shown are new bullet hit effects completely reworked + Me-109 glycol effect improvement plus other work. Finally a surprise reworking of an element introduced in our first patch.

All work is VERY early stages and currently more tweaks are being performed to keep the visual beauty of the new effects while also saving (or should that be increasing) frames-per-second.

This is really hard and time consuming work just to get to this stage and still we are moving forward with further changes to keep the beauty but also enhance the FPS.

Of particular note is a scene where you will see from cockpit view a bomber fly over a burning oil dump. If you watch the left scene and then the right scene (shown simultaneously) you can visibly see the stutter in the old (current) version compared to the WIP version.

Enjoy the update..it's been a challenge getting what you see ready for inclusion....and we're still not there yet

https://vimeo.com/65968983

https://vimeo.com/65968983

EDIT: Found a slight issue with title overlays, so have corrected it and uploaded the above version. If you posted links anywhere to the original they no longer work, sorry. This one is fine though.
Cheers, Team Fusion

Dutch
May-11-2013, 11:16
:stunned:

Wow!

ATAG_Snapper
May-11-2013, 11:23
What a nice surprise on a Saturday morning! :thumbsup:

:)

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
May-11-2013, 11:43
simply amazing

Flyingblind
May-11-2013, 11:45
Terrific!

Gromit
May-11-2013, 11:45
Incredible effects,
was that dewilde ammo sparkling? the train attacks looks spookily like the gun camera footage online too!

Archie
May-11-2013, 12:41
Fantastic! :thumbsup:

palker
May-11-2013, 12:44
You know what would be sweet?
If leaking fluids effects (fuel,coolant,oil) stopped after you run out of them.

-Sven-
May-11-2013, 12:53
Very nice effects! Love the fires, leaks and 3d contrails!

The bullet impact flashes seem to be based on historical gun cam footage, but isn't that .50 caliber most of the time?

9./ZG26Eicken
May-11-2013, 13:04
Looks bloody good.

Manoxerox
May-11-2013, 13:06
Fantastic!! I am running out of fuel and words!!:thumbsup:

ATAG_Naz
May-11-2013, 13:22
Bloody Hell! That is amazing. I am running out of things to say whenever you fellas release these updates ... Can't wait for the next patch!

Great film by the way Mysticpuma... As always you really capture the mood of things so well .... The final parts highlighting the contrails were particularly a pleasure to watch.

Great work one and all.

:thumbsup:

Catseye
May-11-2013, 14:14
Incredible effects,
was that dewilde ammo sparkling? the train attacks looks spookily like the gun camera footage online too!

Hi Grommit,
The DeWilde is still a WIP but I can say that great progress has been made and tested and so far all seems to be working as designed. Some loose ends need to be finalized which includes the impact flash before inclusion into the next patch.

Cheers,
Catseye

56RAF_klem
May-11-2013, 14:20
All looking really good but we need to know what kind of ammo was being used for those flashing strikes. For Ball and AP I think there would be no flash effect, for DeWilde I think they are a little over done as the effect was described as a 'yellow splash' rather than a flash (maybe cut back to about 70-80%?), for cannon strikes very nice. Just my 2p.

Catseye
May-11-2013, 14:29
All looking really good but we need to know what kind of ammo was being used for those flashing strikes. For Ball and AP I think there would be no flash effect, for DeWilde I think they are a little over done as the effect was described as a 'yellow splash' rather than a flash (maybe cut back to about 70-80%?), for cannon strikes very nice. Just my 2p.

Hi Klem,
Good observation!

At this time, the patch is still a WIP and MysticPuma is demonstrating graphic evaluations. Regarding ammunition that flashes, you are correct. There is no flash for Ball or AP - only the DeWilde flashes on impact. There is a long way to go yet before finalization of the bullet impact visuals that correlate to the round being utilized. This will all be addressed before the final testing phase by TF. It is important to ensure that the ammunition being used is linked to historical visuals for that specific round and that is part of the TF process.

Cheers,
Catseye

AA_Engadin
May-11-2013, 14:30
That contrail 3D effect is simply outstanding, perfect! And the FPS boosting effect over the burning oil deposits - and the now realistic flames - are great! Thanks so much!

On the other hand, and always IMHO, when the Spit attacks some ground objects at 04:15, some bullets hit the ground and trees and flash like hitting rocky ground - which is expected close to the rails and perhaps not on a tree. But at minute 04:00 bullets hit ground around a road and the same flashes show up. Being as respectful as possible, isn't it a bit overmod when projectiles impact regular ground? I know there is a lot of work ahead but perhaps this is the moment for me to point it out.

Simply a big THANKS anyway.

AA_Engadin

P.S. OK, question already answered by Catseye a minute before I posted this.

Continu0
May-11-2013, 14:56
And how am I supposed to sleep after this excitement?

Thanks so much TF, you are accomplishing your goal perfectly: Keeping the dream alive...

trooph
May-11-2013, 15:04
Simply amazing!!!

Basha
May-11-2013, 15:19
Awesome update..:thumbsup:

Salute TF :salute:

buster_dee
May-11-2013, 15:25
Simply beautiful. I have a fairly hefty system. As an eye-candy junky, I always push the limits on settings--with stutters the natural outcome. It's so heartening to see the playability improved without a loss of beauty. Thank you so much for this, and good luck tweaking it. And MP, thanks for your work bringing this to life for us.

Attila
May-11-2013, 15:43
You TF-guys are simply amazing! It's freaking awesome, just.....wow!:stunned::):thumbsup:

=vit_unit=
May-11-2013, 16:03
Heh...
Just give it to us to touch:D
If u want I'll pay for this

Mysticpuma
May-11-2013, 16:45
Now you've seen the new contrail effects, something else you may look out for (no-one mentioned it yet).

Around the 6 minutes and 10 seconds mark, the footage cuts back into the inside of the Hurricane cockpit. If you look and compare the footage, now you can visibly see that you are producing contrails as the contrail hook has been placed so that the vapour is just noticeable in front of the cockpit window. It is a small indicator that you are now making a visible contrail (as we still haven't worked out the rear-view mirror issues!).

Glad you like the new effects. As we mentioned...all are VERY MUCH WIP....we appreciate the feedback, let's try and keep it positive as trust us....the coding we are decoding is like opening Forrest Gump's box of chocolates! Although we may have an idea what we will get....you just never know until you try, try and try again!

Work continues ;)

Cheers, TF

RedToo
May-11-2013, 16:57
....the coding we are decoding is like opening Forrest Gump's box of chocolates! Although we may have an idea what we will get....you just never know until you try, try and try again!

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it was for the Dev Team. :D

RedToo.

DUI
May-11-2013, 17:23
Beautiful, beautiful effects!
I keep the fingers crossed that there is also some ammunition on the German side that has those great bullet hit flashes. Even if this ammunition wouldn't scratch a Spitfire I surely would load all my rounds with it... :)

I also appreciate very much that you are keeping an eye on the FPS topic. Amazing how you are able to combine those great graphical enhancements with better performance!

ATAG_Jeepy
May-11-2013, 17:25
:stunned:
Outstanding..simply beautiful !!

~S~ TF !

philip.ed
May-11-2013, 18:29
This really is terrific work.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to add smoke-effects to the .303 tracer like the old intermittent-smoke-trail mod for Il-2 1946? Holy Grail will know what I am talking about. There was some rare guncam footage I once saw of a mark-1 spitfire attacking a flight of Heinkels, and the tracer clearly showed smoke-trails. I think this would greatly improve the combat-experience for RAF pilots like myself.

Keep up the good work gents!

Catseye
May-11-2013, 18:40
Beautiful, beautiful effects!
I keep the fingers crossed that there is also some ammunition on the German side that has those great bullet hit flashes. Even if this ammunition wouldn't scratch a Spitfire I surely would load all my rounds with it... :)

I also appreciate very much that you are keeping an eye on the FPS topic. Amazing how you are able to combine those great graphical enhancements with better performance!

Hi DUI,
We won't be adding any flashes or effects on bullets if they are not historically accurate.
Catseye

Catseye
May-11-2013, 18:43
This really is terrific work.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to add smoke-effects to the .303 tracer like the old intermittent-smoke-trail mod for Il-2 1946? Holy Grail will know what I am talking about. There was some rare guncam footage I once saw of a mark-1 spitfire attacking a flight of Heinkels, and the tracer clearly showed smoke-trails. I think this would greatly improve the combat-experience for RAF pilots like myself.

Keep up the good work gents!

Hi Philip.ed,
I also have seen guncam footage of smoke trails from aircraft on both sides. Currently we are researching this to determine validity and to determine which rounds would be doing this. Not all rounds left a trail and it is important for Historical accuracy that we don't just add smoke trails for eye candy but rather for Historical accuracy only.
Cheers,
Catseye

Royraiden
May-11-2013, 18:45
This update video has made my day,week and month.It feels like every patch will get us closer and closer to the real deal.All those effects look undoubtedly real, its like watching gun camera footage .The explosions/fuel leak/bullet impacts on aircraft, terrain and vehicles and the 3d contrails all add up to what surely will be the best ww2 combat flight sim to date.Thank you so much TF and ATAG, you guys have put this sim at the place it deserves to be.I honestly can say that waiting 2 years to play this sim properly was worth it. I just cant imagine what this sim will be like in around a year. :-)

Forgot to add that the removal of the white smoke balls on 3rd person view will surely allow movie makers to get creative and produce some stunning action scenes.

Borsch
May-11-2013, 18:56
Very-very nice! THe slowed down fire of ground explosions looks much more like it does in guncams (compared to how it was initially anyway). Bullet flashes are probably too big right now, they look like vanilla Il2:1946 cannon flashes, but other tham slightly exaggerated size, they do look grreat!:thumbsup:

Very much hope for Plane fire pre release version to be added
CLoD pre release fire screenshots:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel.clarke17/SoW/Rand/shot_20100712_120022.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel.clarke17/SoW/Rand/shot_20100712_115154.jpg

Current Clod Fire:

http://i46.fastpic.ru/big/2013/0512/4b/35f1cd0849d66d24d619b5e176fd214b.jpg (http://fastpic.ru/)

nacy
May-11-2013, 19:36
Team-Fussion = Red-Tails

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpA6TC0T_Lw :thumbsup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgrhbdeXW_E

Katdog5
May-11-2013, 19:38
well good gravy that was mother*(#^#ing fantastic!

Gorgon14
May-11-2013, 19:47
Those new contrails are the shit. Full stop. Love the new effects as well!

ATAG_JTDawg
May-11-2013, 19:59
:thumbsup: looks great !! nice side by side , funny I just read up on de wilde ammo , an raf really liked the De wilde for the flash effect. an seeing where their bullets were hitting.

DUI
May-11-2013, 21:10
Hi DUI,
We won't be adding any flashes or effects on bullets if they are not historically accurate.
Catseye
I wouldn't expect it otherwise. My post was more a question if there was some similar bullets on the German side having this effect.

Looking at the Wiki, the 7.92x57, B. - Beobachtung (http://www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/wiki/doku.php?id=gerammunition#x57_b_-_beobachtung) looks to be quite right: "This bullet has explosive and incendiary properties; designed to show a flash of fire when it hits a solid object. Projectile has a black tip and the case head has a black sealant around the primer pocket."

Great film by the way Mysticpuma... As always you really capture the mood of things so well .... The final parts highlighting the contrails were particularly a pleasure to watch.
Indeed!

Hubert Bigglesworth
May-11-2013, 21:34
Hi.

Beautiful, looks fantastic. S!!!

kg55_Kaiser
May-12-2013, 02:07
Enjoy the update..it's been a challenge getting what you see ready for inclusion....and we're still not there yet

Thank you TF!
Maybe this draft will bring to you name of ....
What has been forgotten 1C, in chasing the money ...
Having received no financial expectations 1C, the game was quickly closed, despite the huge work of developers, creating a masterpiece of the gaming industry.
Perhaps this draft would not have brought the financial flows, but exalted name of that sometimes is appreciated more than money.

56RAF_klem
May-12-2013, 02:44
Team-Fussion = Red-Tails

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpA6TC0T_Lw :thumbsup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgrhbdeXW_E

Staying on Topic can we please not have .50 cals that derail trains. I don't think the blues would like it.
:recon:

Meaks
May-12-2013, 03:00
Wow.....this is something else!!,love the new effects,the contrails are beautiful guys,top work,talk about 'keeping the dream alive'I don't want to wake up:dthumb:

:salute:

Chocsaway
May-12-2013, 05:28
Epic stuff guys! :cool:

Many thanks for your efforts, look forward to it.

Gromit
May-12-2013, 07:55
Hi Philip.ed,
I also have seen guncam footage of smoke trails from aircraft on both sides. Currently we are researching this to determine validity and to determine which rounds would be doing this. Not all rounds left a trail and it is important for Historical accuracy that we don't just add smoke trails for eye candy but rather for Historical accuracy only.
Cheers,
Catseye

I'm almost certain the smoke trails came from the early type tracer which left a trail behind it rather than the burning magnesium light tracer we are all used to, I'm unclear as to when the change was made but have seen combat video of both in the BoB?

Tvrdi
May-12-2013, 09:23
We had a diamond. Now ther is a "master" which can make this diamond shy. thank you

Kling
May-12-2013, 09:58
Stunning work TF!!

Love the new glycol leak as well! It was often described as long thin whitish trail behind the aircraft just like in the video!

Will the flashes from german 20mm hits also look different?! :)

Great video Mysticpuma!!!

Talisman
May-12-2013, 10:56
Very many thanks to all of you TF super stars for the time, effort and attention to detail that you are putting in; you are the tops!

Happy landings,

Talisman

HolyGrail
May-12-2013, 10:56
On the other hand, and always IMHO, when the Spit attacks some ground objects at 04:15, some bullets hit the ground and trees and flash like hitting rocky ground - which is expected close to the rails and perhaps not on a tree. But at minute 04:00 bullets hit ground around a road and the same flashes show up. Being as respectful as possible, isn't it a bit overmod when projectiles impact regular ground? I know there is a lot of work ahead but perhaps this is the moment for me to point it out.

Not exactly relevant to the Saturday effects update but here is something that might change your mind ,
when it comes to various ground and objects surfaces as the WWII archival footage video worth a
thousand words , everything gives flash except for probably water .
The only time when you might think there is no visible bullet hit flash is when too much dust and
smoke puffs is covering the flash but it is indeed still there .
Whatever you see in this video is showing bullets hit flash regardless of the ground surfaces and as being
already said there are just a very few instances where dust quickly covers the flash making flash not clearly
visible otherwise you be the judge .
Firm soil , loose soil , loose sand , high grass , low grass , concrete , masonry etc... you name it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz9TvdFlnJM

:salute: TF

ATAG_Snapper
May-12-2013, 11:36
That was a great watch, H.G.! :thumbsup:

There are indications that some variation of loadouts are being used in that tracer was evident in some clips, but no tracer in others. Yet, as you say, impact flashes in virtually all the clips on a wide variety of surfaces. Although as some point out that this is most certainly .50 BMG calibre footage, I tend to think that .303 British rounds would render the same impact appearance, just less devastating in their damage effects (round for round).

Falco
May-12-2013, 12:51
Looks AMAZING, thanks for all your hard work:salute:

Gromit
May-12-2013, 12:56
When watching these films Bear in mind any unburnt magnesium in a tracer round will flash on impact as the hollow casing of the round fragments and disperses the burning filler, and judging by the number of flashes compared to the number of rounds fired I would suggest this is the main culprit!

also ball rounds can flash if they hit a hard target as the energy transfer is huge and this causes a thermal flash, I see this regularly at one of the ranges I shoot at, it's an old railway tunnel and you can clearly see copper jacketed ball rounds "spark" despite the lighting!

9./JG52 Ziegler
May-12-2013, 13:07
Really excellent and as Dui stated "visually better graphics, with an improvment to FPS is a win win everytime!":thumbsup:

Mattias
May-12-2013, 13:32
That was a great watch, H.G.! :thumbsup:

There are indications that some variation of loadouts are being used in that tracer was evident in some clips, but no tracer in others. Yet, as you say, impact flashes in virtually all the clips on a wide variety of surfaces. Although as some point out that this is most certainly .50 BMG calibre footage, I tend to think that .303 British rounds would render the same impact appearance, just less devastating in their damage effects (round for round).

+1 :thumbsup:

Mysticpuma
May-12-2013, 13:55
+1 :thumbsup:

+2

AA_Engadin
May-12-2013, 14:49
Not exactly relevant to the Saturday effects update but here is something that might change your mind ,
when it comes to various ground and objects surfaces as the WWII archival footage video worth a
The only time when you might think there is no visible bullet hit flash is when too much dust and
Whatever you see in this video is showing bullets hit flash regardless of the ground surfaces and as being
already said there are just a very few instances where dust quickly covers the flash making flash not clearly
Firm soil , loose soil , loose sand , high grass , low grass , concrete , masonry etc... you name it :D

HolyGrail, thank you so much for the graphic 'ouch!' - :thumbsup: - but still have to watch the video for the 10th time to believe my eyes.
Of course, TRUTH in capitals is on your side and there is nothing more to say but 'ignorance is very bold' on my side as we use to say in my country. I certainly believed up to this very day that rounds only flashed when hitting 'hard' targets - like planes - but not soil, as a dogfighter I am. I usually don't attack ground targets if I can help it, due to the unwanted attention from some enemy planes above I too often use to cause. Therefore I am a thousand miles away from being an expert in ammunition behaviour on ground attack.

So, flashing rounds on a golf course is something that I shall indeed assimilate, but only in a near future. :D .

S! AA_Engadin.

il_corleone
May-12-2013, 15:14
Top notch! like always! Thanks team fusion! Looks promising like the old update, this things make difference for sure thanks for your hard work guys!

HolyGrail
May-12-2013, 15:50
So, flashing rounds on a golf course is something that I shall indeed assimilate, but only in a near future. :D .

S! AA_Engadin.

It's all cool AA_Engadin :thumbsup: anything goes including golf course if necessary :D

:salute: HG

Catseye
May-12-2013, 21:10
I'm almost certain the smoke trails came from the early type tracer which left a trail behind it rather than the burning magnesium light tracer we are all used to, I'm unclear as to when the change was made but have seen combat video of both in the BoB?

Hi Gromit,
The Buckingham MKIII round left a trail as it had a weep hole that allowed the phosphorus inside to ignite on leaving the gun barrel. This is probably the smoke trail being seen in this round.

I'm also looking at the MKlV round which in COD has a white tracer and in reality left a smoke trail as the Phosphorus burned on it's way to the target.

Plugging along, plugging along. :)

Cheers,
Catseye

Catseye
May-12-2013, 23:26
HolyGrail, thank you so much for the graphic 'ouch!' - :thumbsup: - but still have to watch the video for the 10th time to believe my eyes.
Of course, TRUTH in capitals is on your side and there is nothing more to say but 'ignorance is very bold' on my side as we use to say in my country. I certainly believed up to this very day that rounds only flashed when hitting 'hard' targets - like planes - but not soil, as a dogfighter I am. I usually don't attack ground targets if I can help it, due to the unwanted attention from some enemy planes above I too often use to cause. Therefore I am a thousand miles away from being an expert in ammunition behaviour on ground attack.

S! AA_Engadin.

Very nice film footage Engadin,
Regrettably, it doesn't detail the caliber or type of rounds being fired. Looking at the information screens it appears to be U.S. guncam footage 1944 so that makes me think .50 cal.

This is not necessarily how it looked in 1940 with .303/7.92 ammunition.

Gromit
May-13-2013, 09:13
Hi Gromit,
The Buckingham MKIII round left a trail as it had a weep hole that allowed the phosphorus inside to ignite on leaving the gun barrel. This is probably the smoke trail being seen in this round.

I'm also looking at the MKlV round which in COD has a white tracer and in reality left a smoke trail as the Phosphorus burned on it's way to the target.

Plugging along, plugging along. :)

Cheers,
Catseye

Your doing a spectacular job mate, Love the historical data coming along with it, now I know what the Buckingham round was :salute:

LG1.Klein
May-13-2013, 10:24
Any chance the M-Geschoss is going to finally make it to the 110 platform?

RAF74_Buzzsaw
May-13-2013, 11:58

Yes.

Meaks
May-13-2013, 12:53

Yeah,second that :thumbsup:

56RAF_phoenix
May-13-2013, 14:04
Many thanks for all you're doing TF, it's great. What I'm really itching to see are new maps, but I know progress is bound to be a bit slow with volunteer effort - I can wait.

I hope you will understand if I take issue over the bullet strike flashes. I'm really glad to see them back, but I think they're overdone and need to be only available for DeWilde and cannon ammunition.

HolyGrail - this (great) footage is from 83 sqn in 1944, when I believe they were flying cannon armed Mossies. Remember, the reason why pilots liked the DeWilde ammunition is because it DID show flashes - unlike 303.

Please also - bomb effects - high explosive DOES NOT produce gouts of orange flame (ok, ok, the oil tanks would). It only does that in the films. It's a myth. I know I work with it sometimes.

56RAF_phoenix

LG1.Klein
May-13-2013, 14:28
I've shot many a 7.62x51 NATO rounds, I was a 240B gunner in Afghanistan, and I really think the "flash" is overdone for .303 ball ammunition. I certainly think de wilde and tracer would have a "flash" but not ball unless at night you might see it.

Hell even a 40mm fired from a 203 doesn't have a heckuva lot of flash when fired in daylight. Though I'm not entirely sure what the HE content of a modern 40mm is compared to a anti-air type HE ordnance. I think our 40mm used in the 203 is more shrapnel based. Now the 40mm in the MK19 flashed pretty decent though it is similar ammo. Maybe more HE content. But all in all even 40mm doesn't produce the flash/explosion one would expect. The only real flash you get from modern 40mm is the training ammo used in the MK19 that has a "flashbang" type device in it that flashes upon impact and give a little smoke puff.

All that said, when I played WW2OL I did like the hit sprites they had because it did make it easier for me to know I was hitting my target. Even if they were way overdone. So I can swallow this pill as long as it's done for the gaming aspect and not a historical real life aspect. It is helpful in a gaming context.

I offer this post as a means of me passing time at work as I realise I've really accomplished nothing.

:devilish:

Kodoss
May-13-2013, 15:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co0QUNdOBao

56RAF_klem
May-13-2013, 17:31

I think that's a Hurricane, probably being hit with Me109 cannon shells. Its included in here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aqJwHdMDK0

Quite a good visual reference although there are lots more, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klXwCJTO3CM

t4trouble
May-13-2013, 18:27
This is some of the best guncam footage i've seen, dont forget the quailty of video.

I think they have the effects spot on and it is WIP stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLicvNmBa28

HolyGrail
May-13-2013, 18:45
Hi t4trouble and welcome !
Thank you for your kind words :thumbsup:
this 1945 video is showing .50 caliber bullets impact , the main current
discussion is about RAF .303 ammo bullets impact on the enemy aircraft
and ground surfaces .

:)

cheers,

Kling
May-13-2013, 18:52
This is some of the best guncam footage i've seen, dont forget the quailty of video.

I think they have the effects spot on and it is WIP stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLicvNmBa28

Yes but hold on now.
These are all 50cals which is not at all the same as the 303s or the german MGs.

The 50cal round did have some rounds that produced hit flashes but only the Dewilde would produce one during BOB(I think).

I do love the new effects I and cant wait to have them in game! I do agree with a previous poster though that the flash migh be just a tad too big for such a small round(the 303).

Anyway with Holygrail and Mysticpuma working on it, we can be sure they will release first class material!!!

Hubert Bigglesworth
May-13-2013, 20:33
Many thanks for all you're doing TF, it's great. What I'm really itching to see are new maps, but I know progress is bound to be a bit slow with volunteer effort - I can wait.

I hope you will understand if I take issue over the bullet strike flashes. I'm really glad to see them back, but I think they're overdone and need to be only available for DeWilde and cannon ammunition.

HolyGrail - this (great) footage is from 83 sqn in 1944, when I believe they were flying cannon armed Mossies. Remember, the reason why pilots liked the DeWilde ammunition is because it DID show flashes - unlike 303.

Please also - bomb effects - high explosive DOES NOT produce gouts of orange flame (ok, ok, the oil tanks would). It only does that in the films. It's a myth. I know I work with it sometimes.

56RAF_phoenix

Hi.

I'm pretty sure the film is American, VIII Fighter Command, 83rd Squadron, 78th Fighter Group. Flying P47 till December 1944, then switching to P51.

Hub S!!

priller26
May-13-2013, 23:10
Awesome! All looks great, and to see the stutter when the dumps go off gone, really amazing, will this eliminate the stutter one usually sees when a plane in front starts to smoke and burn/explode? That has been an issue that always made my system (fast) stutter. Thanks!

Uwe
May-14-2013, 02:03
Ill go out on a limb here and say flatly that standard ball ammunition doesn't flash. There is nothing in it to actually cause a flash. (EDIT: unless of course your shooting something made of steel, but dirt?)
Absent something like a steel perpetrator (AP ammo) or incendiary/explosive content the standard ball ammo consists of lead and copper.
Gun cam footage cant really be considered in this case unless we have details of the ammo belting of the aircraft in question. I doubt any of them only used one type of ammo.
So flashes only for explosive/AP/incendiary ammo would seem to be appropriate.

Gromit
May-14-2013, 09:53

definatly a Hurricane and still in one piece despite the battering!

LG1.Klein
May-14-2013, 09:55
Ill go out on a limb here and say flatly that standard ball ammunition doesn't flash. There is nothing in it to actually cause a flash. (EDIT: unless of course your shooting something made of steel, but dirt?)
Absent something like a steel perpetrator (AP ammo) or incendiary/explosive content the standard ball ammo consists of lead and copper.
Gun cam footage cant really be considered in this case unless we have details of the ammo belting of the aircraft in question. I doubt any of them only used one type of ammo.
So flashes only for explosive/AP/incendiary ammo would seem to be appropriate.

THIS! Thank you. People throwing around videos of .50 and cannon fire and calling the hit sprites demonstrated in the WIP video correct. Let's make sure we are talking apples and apples here folks. I know .50cal has a API/HE type rounds that will demonstrate a flash. But let's not confuse that with .303 ball.

I know this is WIP. That is why we have this discussion so that the work can actually progress in a realistic and historical fashion. As the hit sprites stand right now they are too Hollywood. If that is the aim then cool, but let's not throw around unknown ammo belting guncams and call is historically correct.

Gromit
May-14-2013, 10:05
As I said earlier in the thread, I believe the flashes on the guncam film are the tracers rather than the ball rounds?

the number of flashes compared to the number of rounds fired doesn't add up, tracer is usually one in five so that would make sense!

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
May-14-2013, 10:20
As I said earlier in the thread, I believe the flashes on the guncam film are the tracers rather than the ball rounds?

Perhaps, but there is footage without tracer where flashes are still evident.

There certainly seems to be strong evidence that certain types of ammo would result in flashes as shown in the video. For me, the question remains unanswered on the basis of the videos alone, what kind of ammo?

I would personally be happy with this approach, for the .303 rounds;
1. No flash from ball ammo or tracer rounds
2. Flash as demonstrated in the video, from DeWilde ammo
3. Slightly reduced flash from A.P. rounds
4. puff of dust from observer rounds

If it were possible to model, I'd prefer this approach;
1. No flash from ball ammo or tracer rounds, UNLESS rounds hit metal or concrete
2. Flash as demonstrated in the video, from DeWilde ammo, all surfaces
3. Slightly reduced flash from AP ammo, UNLESS rounds hit metal or concrete-t then full flash
4. puff of dust from observer rounds, all surfaces

Mysticpuma
May-14-2013, 14:41
Awesome! All looks great, and to see the stutter when the dumps go off gone, really amazing, will this eliminate the stutter one usually sees when a plane in front starts to smoke and burn/explode? That has been an issue that always made my system (fast) stutter. Thanks!

Hi Priller.

That is part of the WIP, to balance the effects that are currently there, keep the visual quality, but then increase FPS.

Currently the issue you describe has been fixed...BUT....there has/have been big compromises and that is why there is no video of that at the moment. The reason for a WIP post was that we like to keep the community interested in what we are doing and it's been evident in the feedback from this footage that we are along the right lines, but, there are other things that need working on.

Now, to enlighten you a little, this is a MAJOR task to get done. It's not just a case of changing a hit effect, oh no, that would be simple. CloD was written so multiple weapons share multiple effects, with multiple cross-overs and then they mixed them up with some string and threw it into a hedge. The wind blew, it rained and then some straw blew into the string as-well. Unfortunately a needle lorry carry a single needle swerved off the road, collided with a haystack and that fell onto the hedge....and it rained again. Now along we come, and we have to find the needle. Sadly, once we find the needle a Tornado comes along, picks us and everything up and drops us in a needle factory, where we drop our original needle and then have to find it again....in a dust storm that just blew in!

Okay, I got a little carried away there, but currently some of the values of the lighting/hit effects/weaponry/DM, etc, etc are so intertwined it's like the previous paragraph happens for every single bullet type and then you have to look at once you have done all that, if it affects another bullet type.

This is long and very, very laborious work. The video took nearly 3-months to make with constant re-edits once new issues were found! That's not fun I can tell you (for any of us working on the effects and DM).

So, where does that leave us? Still ongoing, dedicated, frustrated......very frustrated, but still carrying on with WIP.

These videos highlight ideas and effects that COULD be implemented, but not that necessarily will be implemented. It's offering the footage to the public that gives us genuine and enthusiastic feedback and also the will to carry on. We do this for fun, but if you read the previous paragraphs....I'm not sure 'fun' ever popped up in there?

Still, we persevere and hope to bring you (where possible!) as historically accurate a flight sim as expected. Remember though, IL2: 1946 took many years (and still continues) to get to where it is now. We've had about 5-months with no backing but just enthusiasm to make the Sim into the one everyone expected, but we do it alone and as a hobby, that's all. So if we make some mistakes, don't fix the issue you particularly wanted done first or any other issue that raises if and when the patches are released, it's not personal. We don't have the time and resources of a dedicated studio, we do this in our spare time and we do it for fun and because we too want to enjoy the best fliight sim on the market today.....ultimately, we will do our best for us and you all.

Cheers.

Kling
May-14-2013, 14:53
Hi Priller.

That is part of the WIP, to balance the effects that are currently there, keep the visual quality, but then increase FPS.

Currently the issue you describe has been fixed...BUT....there has/have been big compromises and that is why there is no video of that at the moment. The reason for a WIP post was that we like to keep the community interested in what we are doing and it's been evident in the feedback from this footage that we are along the right lines, but, there are other things that need working on.

Now, to enlighten you a little, this is a MAJOR task to get done. It's not just a case of changing a hit effect, oh no, that would be simple. CloD was written so multiple weapons share multiple effects, with multiple cross-overs and then they mixed them up with some string and threw it into a hedge. The wind blew, it rained and then some straw blew into the string as-well. Unfortunately a needle lorry carry a single needle swerved off the road, collided with a haystack and that fell onto the hedge....and it rained again. Now along we come, and we have to find the needle. Sadly, once we find the needle a Tornado comes along, picks us and everything up and drops us in a needle factory, where we drop our original needle and then have to find it again....in a dust storm that just blew in!

Okay, I got a little carried away there, but currently some of the values of the lighting/hit effects/weaponry/DM, etc, etc are so intertwined it's like the previous paragraph happens for every single bullet type and then you have to look at once you have done all that, if it affects another bullet type.

This is long and very, very laborious work. The video took nearly 3-months to make with constant re-edits once new issues were found! That's not fun I can tell you (for any of us working on the effects and DM).

So, where does that leave us? Still ongoing, dedicated, frustrated......very frustrated, but still carrying on with WIP.

These videos highlight ideas and effects that COULD be implemented, but not that necessarily will be implemented. It's offering the footage to the public that gives us genuine and enthusiastic feedback and also the will to carry on. We do this for fun, but if you read the previous paragraphs....I'm not sure 'fun' ever popped up in there?

Still, we persevere and hope to bring you (where possible!) as historically accurate a flight sim as expected. Remember though, IL2: 1946 took many years (and still continues) to get to where it is now. We've had about 5-months with no backing but just enthusiasm to make the Sim into the one everyone expected, but we do it alone and as a hobby, that's all. So if we make some mistakes, don't fix the issue you particularly wanted done first or any other issue that raises if and when the patches are released, it's not personal. We don't have the time and resources of a dedicated studio, we do this in our spare time and we do it for fun and because we too want to enjoy the best fliight sim on the market today.....ultimately, we will do our best for us and you all.

Cheers.

Great post MP!!!!

Continu0
May-14-2013, 15:18
Mysticpuma, as this is the only support we can give you: You have our full appriciation and full support, and let the team know once more that we are very greatful. We, the community are still dreaming and thats because of you!

Short Question: Does the code have to be that way or is it just completely messed up..? I mean... do you have the feeling of "cleaning" it up?

71st_AH_Vertigo
May-14-2013, 19:26
Love it

V

:salute:

TWC_SLAG
May-14-2013, 21:08
Let's see: Great, wonderful, spectacular. You guys never cease to amaze me. What a fantastic sim, you are making CoD.

I can't seem to get the smile off my face.

binky9

Injerin
May-14-2013, 21:16
Keep up the great work fellas!

Oersted
May-16-2013, 05:06
Superb movie update there. Really well done and a fascinating insight into what may come down the road. A little bit of extra eye-candy never hurts, even tho the most important TF work is of course that which is being done on the FM, DM, etc.

I'm very glad to see that TF has been working on the white puffs showing up in track files. Those things are keeping me from doing new movie work, so I hope they'll actually go away one day. Hopefully in a patch that fixes the track recorder again (it broke in the last patch). Anyway, no hurry and no worries, it'll all happen in its own good time, I'm sure...

Huge thanks to the members of TF for fiddling with all this. It seems the code is indeed a huge headache: I'm glad you are persevering! Again: great movie, Mysticpuma, really very professional production values. The sideways scroll between new and old contrails made me drop my jaw first time I saw it... :-)

carbolicus
May-17-2013, 12:14
Regarding how tracers and bullet strikes looked during the Battle of Britain, here's a quote from BoB pilot Tom Neil in his excellent book "Gun Button To 'Fire'". It's referring to a day in mid-August 1940:

"The new de Wilde Ammunition, with which some of our guns had been partially loaded, was spectacularly effective... it gave out sparks and a good smoking trace and positively twinkled whenever strikes were obtained."

And describing a combat on 7th September 1940:

"Ahead, smoking tentacles reached out in clutching traces and felt about the leading vic of Heinkels with blind, exploring fingers. The briefest ripple of twinkling lights. Like a child's sparkler..."

He's a great writer by the way.

Wolfskid
May-17-2013, 15:36
Hello guys,

a Big Thank You Mysticpuma for sharing that Video, and for your work. I dont know who has made this GREAT Video. But it is a great work. With all these cuts and music......amazing:). A big THANK YOU.

And another thing: Whoever collaborates on these effects and works, let me tell you 1000 times THANK YOU for your time.:thumbsup:

So we will be have one day a very very GREAT Sim:)

I cant this work:(

Have all a great nice time and summer................

Wolfskid

Muffin
May-17-2013, 19:09
Hello guys,

a Big Thank You Mysticpuma for sharing that Video, and for your work. I dont know who has made this GREAT Video. But it is a great work. With all these cuts and music......amazing:). A big THANK YOU.

And another thing: Whoever collaborates on these effects and works, let me tell you 1000 times THANK YOU for your time.:thumbsup:

So we will be have one day a very very GREAT Sim:)

I cant this work:(

Have all a great nice time and summer................

Wolfskid

MysticPuma makes all of the videos for team fusion!

Dutch
May-17-2013, 19:18
MysticPuma makes all of the videos for team fusion!

Muffin makes all the con-fusion for ATAG!!! :D

1lokos
May-18-2013, 09:19
Accord this Blog: http://thedaysofglory.blogspot.com.br/search/label/Battle%20of%20Britain?updated-max=2010-08-12T15:49:00%2B01:00&max-results=20&start=81&by-date=false

Cine Gun Camera is not standart equipament during BoB - fit only in some planes...
But I read in some "WWII" forum that British "gun cam" files are destroyed after war...It is true?

Trainig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8cowFmlYTiw

Sokol1

Osprey
May-18-2013, 10:48
Hi.

I'm pretty sure the film is American, VIII Fighter Command, 83rd Squadron, 78th Fighter Group. Flying P47 till December 1944, then switching to P51.

Hub S!!

But it's not in technicolor widescreen !! ;)

TWC_SLAG
May-18-2013, 15:26
What time does the patch come out?

Binky9

ATAG_EvangelusE
May-19-2013, 12:00
You guys are doing an amazing job, many thanks for all the fantastic work the team are doing - very much appreciated.

DUI
May-19-2013, 19:22
Last status I heard of was about 2-3 months from now on. But just take it as a rough indication - the patch is done when Team Fusion is done with it.

Osprey
May-24-2013, 18:36
A bit late but @ about 20 seconds onwards are shots of 109s shooting down barrage balloons. Hope that helps with the effects :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3jR5ls9FdKQ

ATAG_Snapper
May-24-2013, 19:40
That footage was fantastic, Osprey! :thumbsup:

Oersted
May-27-2013, 14:03

About 2.30 in the afternoon.

Blitzen
May-27-2013, 14:05
Lovely ..simply lovely! When these new effects are available I'll be spending even more time in CloD & have to relegate Il-2 to more of a sideline.You ATAG guys are simply terrif!:thumbsup: