PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Belfast

Blue
May-19-2013, 14:18
Hello peeps

Just registered.
Haven't actually got COD, played Il2 for years and bought all iterations of it right upto 1946 but when COD came out I tried it and it was awful but reading on here and about the mod it sounds like it may now be playable.
Is it possible to download the last patch for it manually?
Would like to try it with your mod first.
Don't want to buy this if it won't run properly and I am VERY reluctant to give my money over due to the way this game was released and supported (or unsupported)!
Also I was considering going for the boxed DVD rather than steam but have heard that the DVD is just a link to download from steam anyway! Is this true?

Cheers

ATAG_Snapper
May-19-2013, 16:13
Hi Blue, and welcome to the forum.

You're welcome to download the two TF patches (3.00 and 3.01), but you must have a purchased/licensed copy of Cliffs of Dover to install them into. Considering the thousands of manhours -- literally -- that was done free of charge by the Team Fusion volunteers, acquiring a copy of Cliffs of Dover on your dime isn't asking a whole bunch. No one other than 1C makes a penny if you choose to do so.

To lessen your risk, why don't you post your system specs here (CPU, RAM, video card, OS)? The forum members can tell you very quickly what you can expect by way of performance, plus any recommendations for future upgrades as may be needed.

I've heard stories of Cliffs of Dover being bargain binned for as low as 9.99, although I'm sure Clod sales have picked up noticeably since the TF patches were released, so sale prices may not be so generous now.

Your information on the DVD copies of Clod is correct -- it's basically a link to Steam.

Hopefully you'll join us, your transition from 1946 should be quite smooth and an enjoyable challenge.

Osprey
May-19-2013, 17:21
Mate it's ten quid on Steam. It really is a massive bargain.

Dutch
May-19-2013, 19:14
G'day, Blue. :D Weren't you an Australian TV Cop some years ago? :D

What the chaps say above is all true. Buy the game. You won't regret it, unless your computer isn't up to scratch. The minimum specs on the box are laughable. However, it will be the best ten quid you've ever spent. :thumbsup:

jaydee
May-20-2013, 04:57
Hows it goin Blue ! CoD is greatly improved since it was first released ! The TF patch is amazing !......Im flying offline (Heinkills Redux Campaigns) until im ready to fly with these hardcore Canadians,poms,yanks,ruskis,krauts,finns,aussies,i rish and even moonshine drinkin Hurricane pilots from the deep south !...Ive been away for a while,but what I can say is "the TF mod people" have vastly improved COD...And if you go on TS ,every one is friendly and helpful !

LuseKofte
May-20-2013, 07:30
I still think offline gaming on this sim is a very buggy experience. All those bugs are not in online play for some reason. at least in full realism.

ChiefRedCloud
May-20-2013, 08:35
Welcome to the fray .......

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/8789/willeyspitwelcome.png

ATAG_Knuckles
May-20-2013, 08:53
Blue: If you want realism, dive in. Yes you will need a updated computer to run it, and it takes quite a while to get everything set up correctly. But: you have a great support system here at ATAG. We have been doing this for about two years now and still hooked

Come on in !!!!!! :P

Blue
May-20-2013, 10:32
Hi peeps

Thanks for the replies.

Considering the thousands of manhours -- literally -- that was done free of charge by the Team Fusion volunteers, acquiring a copy of Cliffs of Dover on your dime isn't asking a whole bunch.
No one other than 1C makes a penny if you choose to do so.

Snapper thats the point, Team Fusion who make COD playable don't get a penny but 1C, who SELL a broken unfinished badly implemented game then drop support and move on to a SEQUEL get my dough!

Anyway I've bitten the bullet and bought it of steam (cannot believe that the DVD is NOT the game content but just a link to download of steam!)

Given vanilla install a quick spin on the flight over Dover and London with all gfx options at max and seems to be running OK :stunned:
Of course it's only me in the air.

Will install the Team Fusion patches and get myself set up and hopefully see ya's in the skies.

Here's my specs by the way:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
MSI 870A G54 mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU
8GB DDR3 Ram
MSI nVidia GTX460 1GB Gfx

Cheers.

Osprey
May-20-2013, 11:43
Given vanilla install a quick spin on the flight over Dover and London with all gfx options at max and seems to be running OK :stunned:
Of course it's only me in the air.

Will install the Team Fusion patches and get myself set up and hopefully see ya's in the skies.

Here's my specs by the way:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
MSI 870A G54 mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU
8GB DDR3 Ram
MSI nVidia GTX460 1GB Gfx

Cheers.

If you've got max'd out of that rig that's damn fine, you may need to go down a notch on a couple of things but otherwise other people don't generally cause lag, it's all what has to be rendered for you.

What do you tend to fly btw?

ATAG_Snapper
May-20-2013, 11:57
Hi Blue,

You've got a good system, and you'll be pleased to see that Clod actually runs better with the Team Fusion patches. Good on ya for installing it! :thumbsup:

You're dead on about the lousy implementation. It could be used as a textbook example in any marketing course on how NOT to do things. Cancelling further fixes after 18 months in favour of a new partnership on a completely different sim just added some nasty icing to a half-baked cake. On the plus side, Team Fusion found many vital elements that were marks of pure programming genius by Oleg Maddox and his original team. Further are virtually countless areas of detail never included in our 1C release that TF are still plumbing. Not having the source code is a major handicap, but Team Fusion have certainly demonstrated their own genius by way of effective work arounds. (I'm not on Team Fusion; I would just drag the bar down).

Your participation and input at this still-early stage is reward for Team Fusion. Your insights on Clod -- the good and the bad -- in light of your 1946 experience will be of interest to us all. Most importantly is for you to enjoy getting there, and hopefully we'll see you online in the near future. THAT will be ATAG's reward! :D

Cheers,

Snapper

Blue
May-21-2013, 12:26
Hi peeps

Thanks again for your welcomes.

If you've got max'd out of that rig that's damn fine, you may need to go down a notch on a couple of things but otherwise other people don't generally cause lag, it's all what has to be rendered for you.

What do you tend to fly btw?

Flying mostly Spits.
Have installed the TF patches 3.0 and 3.01
Getting around 25FPS on the training missions while down low and looking at ground.
Could probably turn off/down a few things.
So some questions as to best way to proceed with set up on graphics, joystick etc etc,
should I ask elsewhere or is this thread OK?

Cheers
Ciaran.

Osprey
May-21-2013, 15:00
You'd probably get a better response on Teamspeak talking to someone or posting in the helpdesk/technical corner. I wouldn't go with 25fps, drop some stuff down and raise is about 10fps - you'll get a better flight.

Dutch
May-21-2013, 15:13
So some questions as to best way to proceed with set up on graphics, joystick etc etc,
should I ask elsewhere or is this thread OK?

This thread is fine old chum, I'd say. :D

You'll probably get differing recommendations re gfx setup from most everyone, but back when I had a ATI 5770, I had everything on medium, with grass and roads on, no ssao, no in-game AA, v-sync on, epilepsy thing off @1920x1080. Try with this to start with, but I seem to recall putting textures back to 'original' reduced stutters. Maybe someone with a 460 could pipe up here?

There was an excellent post copied over to here by ATAG_Doc, with Nvidia settings optimised which I'll try to route out and put the link in this post. I think everyone would agree that managing Anti-Aliasing with your card's software is much better for frame rates than the in-game settings, more effective too.

Not sure what you mean re joystick, but I have no deadzone on any axis and all axes at max sensitivity. Watch this space for Nvidia setup links. :thumbsup:

Here's one from Mastiff: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3135

See post #10 here http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?1430-New-beta-Nvidia-driver-301-24 - I'm still using these settings, work fine.

And here's a thread from a chap with a 460 http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2279

vranac
May-21-2013, 15:25
You can start with putting trees and buildings on minimum and building details on medium.You will see a lot of them and that will ease off load on your CPU.

Blue
May-22-2013, 12:45
Hi peeps

Thanks for the replies.
Dutch those links left me confused but thanks anyway think I'll just turn a few things off and see how it goes.
The joystick setting are exactly what you referred to ie axes settings like sensitivity etc.
I'm using a Saitek X45.
In IL2 1946 there where 'curves'.
I'm having problems with the rudder and elevator trim being to sensitive.
The slightest touch on the knob has large effects on plane
eg the rudder trim for straight and level flight is nearly impossible to set as it's in a range of movement of about 1 degree of turn of the knob.

~S~ Blue

Dutch
May-22-2013, 20:14
Hi peeps

Thanks for the replies.
Dutch those links left me confused but thanks anyway think I'll just turn a few things off and see how it goes.
The joystick setting are exactly what you referred to ie axes settings like sensitivity etc.
I'm using a Saitek X45.
In IL2 1946 there where 'curves'.
I'm having problems with the rudder and elevator trim being to sensitive.
The slightest touch on the knob has large effects on plane
eg the rudder trim for straight and level flight is nearly impossible to set as it's in a range of movement of about 1 degree of turn of the knob.

~S~ Blue

Yap. I agree. I have a G940, with trim wheels for rudder, elevator and aileron (although aileron trim isn't available in RAF planes, as per reality). Trim is way too overly sensitive, particularly rudder for me. Hoping TF are onto this one. :thumbsup:

As for gfx links, set your nvidia settings as per the second one, posted by Doc in post #10. Turn off AA in-game. :D

Blue
May-24-2013, 14:19
Yap. I agree. I have a G940, with trim wheels for rudder, elevator and aileron (although aileron trim isn't available in RAF planes, as per reality). Trim is way too overly sensitive, particularly rudder for me. Hoping TF are onto this one. :thumbsup:

As for gfx links, set your nvidia settings as per the second one, posted by Doc in post #10. Turn off AA in-game. :D

Cheers again.
Have done as instructed and will ask further questions in the appropriate thread.
I have found that binding a key to the trims is better and more controllable than using my joystick pots.
I re-bound up/down for elevator and left/right for rudder.

Thanks
~S~ Blue