PDA

View Full Version : FFB issues..

Bearcat
May-20-2013, 22:32
I use a MSFFB2 as my main flight stick.. Is there a way 6to adjust the FFB in CoD? The basic stick forces just seem to drop out .. I notice it particularly when I am not pulling any Gs.. as in straight and level flight or negative Gs. It is only when I am pulling positive Gs that it seems my stick stiffens up and the stick forces come into play. Any suggestions?

Dutch
May-21-2013, 06:17
Hello Mate,

I can't advise on the MSFFB2, but certainly compared to IL2, the stick forces in Cliffs are much much lighter with my G940. The G940 comes with software to customise forces for each individual game, so it's easily overcome using this facility.

However, I always find that particularly offline, it takes a looooong time for the FFB to 'kick in', such as in the Free Flight Quick Missions, needing some pretty violent stick movements for it to somehow 'register' with the game. Alt/tabbing out of the game sometimes locks the stick solid, sometimes leaves it flopping around really loosely, but all sorts itself out with a few good yanks on the elevator axis.

Very undignified, but it works. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Kling
May-21-2013, 07:39
I use a MSFFB2 as my main flight stick.. Is there a way 6to adjust the FFB in CoD? The basic stick forces just seem to drop out .. I notice it particularly when I am not pulling any Gs.. as in straight and level flight or negative Gs. It is only when I am pulling positive Gs that it seems my stick stiffens up and the stick forces come into play. Any suggestions?

Hey Bearcat
Check this thread!
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3976&p=40823#post40823

I have the same stick as you do!

9./JG52 Ziegler
May-21-2013, 08:52
I used to use a MSFFB2 when I first started to fly CLoD. I loved it and I still think it was the best stick "feel wise" I've ever used. I ended up changing to a CH Combat stick for other reasons, but that's another story.
When I first started to use the FF2, it would be irritatingly slack on take off and would not center which made takeoffs difficult.

I fixed it by disabling direct input from detecting that the stick is Force Feedback capable.

Basically, with RegEdit,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/MediaProperties/PrivateProperties/Joystick/OEM/VID_045E&PID_001B/OEMForceFeedback

I change the above keys permission to EVERYONE - {"Full Control","Read"} - DENY .

This worked like a champ and had good feel throughout the flightrange of motion. The stick was always centered too. You lose a bit of the guns shaking but I wasn't crazy about that anyways.

OBT~Mikmak
May-24-2013, 12:44
It's possible to adjust FFB in COD by modifying the folowing .ffe file (located in "..\SteamApps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\parts\core\FF"):

- autocannon.ffe
- bomb.ffe
- machinegun.ffe
- mortar.ffe
- punch.ffe
- shake.ffe
- spring.ffe : stiffness of stick

The .ffe file can be modified with Fedit software (http://www.checksix-forums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20265&d=1261592709)

fleX
Jan-14-2014, 18:23
Sorry for the necro post, but I didn't want to make you guys post the info all over again.

I just got the MSS2FFB and I love the smoothness of the centering.......when it happens.

Followed the regedit fix Ziegler posted. Not sure what went wrong, since everyone else got constant stick centering.

For me, that just turned off all FFB. Even throwing my stick around, going into stalls, firing mg, opening console and rotating the stick wouldn't kick in the FFB for centering.

http://i.imgur.com/ha5jKBz.png

I thought I followed the pathway correctly. Perhaps not.

I have it set back to 'Allow' now, since that is the only thing to get the FFB to work, though I do have to weave my a/c around like a lunatic for the centering to kick in.

---------------------

Also, I have tried fedit, as Mikmak suggested.
However, I forgot to move a backup copy of the original SPRING.ffe file before I started editing it.
Sadly, I don't have the original file.
If anyone here can upload an unedited copy of their spring file, I'd be most appreciative.

Second thing with the fedit: I have turned down the effects for machineguns, autocannon, and shake. I also removed punch and kick, since I'm not partial to their effects.
Anyone have a good setup for the .ffe files using fedit?
I tried editing the spring.ffe file to max resistance and 'infinite' duration.
It doesn't seem to make the centering constant. Only thing it did was increase the resistance when the FFB finally kicked in.

http://i.imgur.com/UmUa0mJ.png

Again, sorry for necro and thanks for your patience in reading.

~S!~

f l e X `

*Edit* I should mention that my conf file in the MOD folder already has:
[rts_joystick]
FF=1

ATAG_EvangelusE
Jan-18-2014, 07:35
Hi Flex, there doesn't appear to be much info on using Fedit, I was hoping someone would have given a few pointers regards using it having read your post.

I looked at your Regedit path and the only thing I can see is that you have an 'effects' folder that isn't shown in my path and for some reason you have a lot more OEM files.

The regedit method does give me constant and consistent centering force and I have the IR beam disabled on the Yoke to prevent loss of FF everytime I change my hand postion or leave the yoke to press a switch, etc.

As for the Spring file backup - do you have IL1946? From what I can see the spring file in the IL946 FF folder seems to be the same. I would upload a copy of mine but I don't think you can do that in a post.

Gix
Jan-19-2014, 05:29
IR beam disabled on the Yoke
Arf, what does that mean ?

I have adjusted with fedit :

Using negative values on deadband for both axis. I guess I should still adjust force intensity following the axis.

Regedit thing is a mess for me because I get a constant force. So yes its centered but you lose the realistic way it should behave. Its normal to not centered at low speed. I try to have a little force above 60 mph in Spit

Kling
Jan-19-2014, 07:35
If you succeed! Let us know. I always thought the center force was a bit too sloopy on my MS FFB2 stick.

gavagai
Jan-25-2014, 08:26
Thanks for this thread. The fedit link above no longer works. Here is an alternative: http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php/downloads32/viewdownload/92-force-feedback/41-fedit

I'm going to edit away the ridiculous stick shake you get when firing the guns.

-------------------

Interesting. I had to also reduce the stick shake so that the stick would not buffet violently when firing the 109E's cannons. Is there good evidence for the 109E shaking so much when firing the cannons? In DCS the P-51 does not jerk around when firing the guns, and I really doubt that's a fudge on yo-yo's part.

Kling
Jan-25-2014, 09:38
Gavagai this is unfortunately not possible as there is a bug that links the cannon shake with stall shake. So if u reduce the cannon shake you will also lose the stall shake. This is a bug for the 109. This doenst apply to the 110 as fsr as I know.

gavagai
Jan-25-2014, 09:45
It might be a bug or it might not.

Ignoring the ffb, the 109E shakes like crazy when you fire the cannons. The camera view buffets and you hear the sound of the aircraft stalling. This could be a "feature" to make it seem very dramatic when you fire the cannons.

I removed the .ffe shakes for the machine guns and cannons. That works. Yet, like you say, the stick will still shake in the 109E because the aircraft is stalling when you fire the cannons.

Back to DCS for me.