PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to get rid of "AI has been shot down" bug?

Kling
May-22-2013, 07:51
When a human bails out of his plane I still see the message that I shot down an AI. Can this be looked upon at one point? :)

Cheers

Roblex
May-23-2013, 06:29
Not sure if it is a bug really as when the plane crashes there is no human pilot but yes it would be nice if the server remembered who was flying originally and used that name. I suspect the problem may not be 'bailing' though. When someone bails out the server uses the right name to say 'XXX has hit the silk' so it should be easy to trigger the 'XXXX has been shot down' message at the same time with the right name. The problem is probably people hitting esc or Alt-F1 (or is it Alt-F2) which instantly switches the control to AI and at that point the server does not know the plane is doomed so has no reason to care who the previous pilot was. I don't know if it is Alt-F1 or Alt-F2 people use as I always do my best to crash land or if that is not feasible then either bail out or die trying. I see people complain about people like me that crash land and deny them a kill but I don't care. I think it is much more realistic for a pilot in a damaged plane to bail or try to put it down in a field than to say 'I say Fitz, that was jolly well fought. I think I shall allow myself to die to show my appreciation or maybe just blow my brains out by pressing esc' :D

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
May-23-2013, 08:03
It has always boggled my mind how an air combat game could do such a poor job when it comes to crediting kills. I don't know how many kills I've lost because the opposing pilot can just exit his a/c (death, esc, alt+F2, bail-out) and if the now AI controlled plane doesn't hit the ground before the despawn timer goes off, his plane just disappears like a fart in the wind. It might not be a bug but it's a terrible design flaw. The entire scoring system in general is a huge step backwards from 1946. I would love for TF to address this issue.

ATAG_EvangelusE
May-23-2013, 08:28
You learn something new about CloD reading these threads. Most agree that the scoring system is less than perfect but having just looked at the key assignment Alt - F2, this is an external view command and, if this is the key assignment that players are using for the reasons stated above, I am sure it can be disabled server side in the server realism settings. There may be a reason why it is enabled, may be one of the admins can explain.

ATAG_Bliss
May-26-2013, 15:01
It's because if you don't have aircraft switching or side switching enabled in the server options you would have to reconnect to the server for every time you wanted to respawn or swap sides. I don't think many people would like having to go through that hassle every time.

1lokos
May-26-2013, 15:31
It's because if you don't have aircraft switching or side switching enabled in the server options you would have to reconnect to the server for every time you wanted to respawn or swap sides.

Bliss,

This mean reconnect "every time you wanted to respawn" with the same aircraft or different aircraft type?

Sokol1

ATAG_Bliss
May-26-2013, 15:49
Bliss,

This mean reconnect "every time you wanted to respawn" with the same aircraft or different aircraft type?

Sokol1

Any aircraft.

Turning off side switching (which would disable Alt F2) is meant for COOP where there is dummy AI aircraft to fill the seats as players. Having side switching off won't allow to pick a side (click on the flags)

Having side switching enabled (allowing you to click the flags) allows you to choose which aircraft you want. But if you have "allow aircraft switching" disabled, then you are only allowed to be in one aircraft for the duration on the server. Once you land, bail out, die, crash etc., that 1st aircraft, the only way to get another one is to reconnect to the server and start all over again.

That's why both those options are enabled, or have to be enabled. I wish it was like old IL2's method, with the refly button, but it's not.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-03-2013, 04:55
the opposing pilot can just exit his a/c (death, esc, alt+F2, bail-out) and if the now AI controlled plane doesn't hit the ground before the despawn timer goes off, his plane just disappears like a fart in the wind.

Ah! So is that what happens?!
Thanks for finally resolving this for me.

I've known that "exiting" the aircraft causes the A.I. to take over, and the aircraft often plunges into the ground anyways, in which case the kill is awarded.
I was not aware that the de-spawn timer could kick-in before the aircraft hit the ground, and that this was depriving the killer of their recognition.

This helps explain a few odd occurrences.