PDA

View Full Version : Huey vs Blackshark

71st_AH_Eagle
May-27-2013, 08:37
I'm planning on getting one of these two from DCS but I'm not too sure which one. Suggestions?

Injerin
May-27-2013, 21:07
Get both :) They are both very good. It all depends on what you prefer, Modern (Blackshark) or Retro (Huey) flight and weapons.

ATAG_Snapper
May-28-2013, 12:34
Folks, please keep us posted on what you think of 'em. I'm especially interested in the good ol' Huey. :D

Injerin
May-28-2013, 12:37
Snapper,

The Huey is a blast... I've been flying it (takes some getting used to and AUTO pilot is your friend LOL) and having a good old time. You should come join us :P

http://www.anon6.com/gallery/m/13804672/album/135102

ATAG_Snapper
May-28-2013, 12:48
Great pics. In all honesty, I won't be d/l it anytime soon. My time at the PC is very sparse these days, but for all the right reasons. Each one involving The Great Outdoors. :D But DCS Huey is on my short list! I'll be bugging you about your suggestions for best set up on the Warthog HOTAS -- too lazy to reinvent the wheel! LOL

Question: Can the Huey land on buildings or would that result in "collision"?

ATAG_Headshot
May-28-2013, 13:16
I have bought the Huey but haven't had time to try it yet. I will join you online for sure

Injerin
May-28-2013, 13:37
Hell I can't even land it on the ground yet.. let alone a building lol, I did try a oil rig and well... lets say I'm sleeping with the fishes'. About to post a vid before I head off. damn upload takes forever :)

Injerin
May-28-2013, 14:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlAMezlFF3o

Watch at 1080i :P

Dutch
May-28-2013, 14:48
Ye Gads! It is indeed a dilemma. Mustang, Black Shark or Huey? I still can't use the A-10 properly, and I'm sitting here thinking, shall I?? But which?

The Huey's instruments are in English though, which has to be an advantage.

Think I'll go and fly a few 'copters on FSX first to decide.......:thumbsup:

ATAG_Snapper
May-28-2013, 17:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlAMezlFF3o

Watch at 1080i :P

Great vid! :thumbsup: I cracked up when I heard Flight of the Valkyries! LOL

Injerin
May-28-2013, 21:31
Ye Gads! It is indeed a dilemma. Mustang, Black Shark or Huey? I still can't use the A-10 properly, and I'm sitting here thinking, shall I?? But which?

The Huey's instruments are in English though, which has to be an advantage.

Think I'll go and fly a few 'copters on FSX first to decide.......:thumbsup:

Dutch let me know I can teach you the A-10-C. I still need work on my P-51 and obviously the Huey lol. my last purchase will be the BlackShark :)

Dutch
May-28-2013, 22:26
Dutch let me know I can teach you the A-10-C. I still need work on my P-51 and obviously the Huey lol. my last purchase will be the BlackShark :)

Thanks mate! I'm ok-ish with starting and flying the A-10, just a bit out of practice. Remembering all the HOTAS stuff is the hardest bit. You know DMS, SPI, TMS, SOI, long press,short press etc etc :D.

And being far away enough for the Mavericks but near enough to see the target in the first place has always been a pain for me.

But let me know when you're next having an online bash at it and I'll try to tag along. Never been online with DCS at all. Now what was the difference between CCRP and CCIP again??? :D

Injerin
May-28-2013, 23:40
Thanks mate! I'm ok-ish with starting and flying the A-10, just a bit out of practice. Remembering all the HOTAS stuff is the hardest bit. You know DMS, SPI, TMS, SOI, long press,short press etc etc :D.

And being far away enough for the Mavericks but near enough to see the target in the first place has always been a pain for me.

But let me know when you're next having an online bash at it and I'll try to tag along. Never been online with DCS at all. Now what was the difference between CCRP and CCIP again??? :D

The Mavericks work from alot farther out now and at higher altitudes (this was fixed with recent patches). As far as the CCIP and CCRP it is well defined here: http://wiki.hoggit.us/view/HUD I refer to this alot lol, due to me not getting it the first 50 times I've read it :P

Me and few others (from different squads) have created a sub-community www.anon6.com for ARMA3 and DCS series games. We have scheduled drop ins for both. Mostly on Fri. for now.

Injerin
May-29-2013, 00:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IXSFjkKLStk

:P :P :P

Skoshi_Tiger
May-29-2013, 03:57
Question: Can the Huey land on buildings or would that result in "collision"?

Yes you can land on roof tops, though you have to worry about knocking your tail rotor on the airconditioning stacks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SEyQwELWDk&feature=youtu.be

I expect a new tail boom would be needed after this rough landing!

ATAG_Snapper
May-29-2013, 06:32
Excellent! Thanks for posting that, S-T. :thumbsup:

TheVino3
May-29-2013, 07:02

That was cool. Real cool. :cool:

ATAG_Snapper
May-29-2013, 09:03
I'm knocked out by how the Gatling barrels glow red while firing, then grow duller as they cool down. The glowing ricochets look very good at dusk, too.

Super video! :thumbsup:

Skoshi_Tiger
May-29-2013, 09:20
+1 Injerin, That video is really good

Here is some more roof top fun! Um! I didn't put in the footage for the third landing- things got ugly really quick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uirq5KXbHNc&feature=youtu.be

Injerin
May-29-2013, 09:31
+1 Injerin, That video is really good

Here is some more roof top fun! Um! I didn't put in the footage for the third landing- things got ugly really quick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uirq5KXbHNc&feature=youtu.be

I know the feeling lol, did you try the oil rig landing in the training? man talk about tough.. I have a long way to go to get to that point.

Dutch
May-29-2013, 09:34
Quick question chaps, is it already possible to fly the Huey online? I couldn't find any reference to this at the DCS site.........

Sorry, scratch that, I just looked at the servers. Just being dumb again......:D

Injerin
May-29-2013, 09:37
Dutch I'm online if you want to fly :)

Skoshi_Tiger
May-29-2013, 09:42
I know the feeling lol, did you try the oil rig landing in the training? man talk about tough.. I have a long way to go to get to that point.

I've tried the oil rig a few times but have come to grief each time. Much more practice required.

Skoshi_Tiger
May-29-2013, 09:50

Hi Injerin, What server are you on?

I see your on team speak thought I'ld give the Huey a go online

Dutch
May-29-2013, 09:50

Downloading Huey now, thanks largely to your and Skoshi's vids :grrr:, but need to pop out for a while. Then i'll need to set up hotas etc, but maybe around for a laugh later. :D :thumbsup:

Injerin
May-29-2013, 12:01
Kewl np man, me and Skosh just played a little, I was a meteor lol. anyway check TS when you get back hopefully I'm around :)

ATAG_Bliss
May-29-2013, 14:21

That was awesome. I can't believe the weapon was actually glowing :)

Dutch
May-29-2013, 14:49
I'm planning on getting one of these two from DCS but I'm not too sure which one. Suggestions?

I just had my first few goes in the Huey, and compared to the hi-tech stuff needed to fly the Black Shark/A-10, it's a breeze. But not easy to fly! Someone said 'the auto-pilot is your best friend', well amen to that!

But the Huey is darned good fun. Recommended (even the music is good fun). :thumbsup:

ATAG_Snapper
May-29-2013, 15:36
Downloading Huey now. :D

Also clicked on the auto updater for DCS World -- it's about a 300 terra-giga-hexa byte download, should be done by early July.....:stunned:

Dutch
May-29-2013, 16:22
Downloading Huey now. :D

Also clicked on the auto updater for DCS World -- it's about a 300 terra-giga-hexa byte download, should be done by early July.....:stunned:

Heh! Excellent! So that's you me Injerin and Skoshi available to re-enact the scene from apocalypse now. :D

'I love the smell of napalm in the morning, it smells like......victory....'

(there's a torrent available for the Huey once 'world' is updated. Only took 15mins or so).:thumbsup:

ATAG_Snapper
May-29-2013, 17:43
Download and install went smoothly. :thumbsup:

But man.....I am freaking TERRIBLE at this!!!!!! LOL

Gimme about 2000 hours and I should be able to master a hover by then......:)

ATAG_Snapper
May-29-2013, 19:26
Progress report: getting better! :)

Just new reflexes to learn. I feel like I'm standing on a plank supported by a beach ball when I try to hover. LOL

Having a blast, though. I think I need to put some CCR (Creedence Clearwater Revival) on full blast and the Force will be with me!

:-)

Dutch
May-29-2013, 19:35
Progress report: getting better! :)

Just new reflexes to learn. I feel like I'm standing on a plank supported by a beach ball when I try to hover. LOL

Having a blast, though. I think I need to put some CCR (Creedence Clearwater Revival) on full blast and the Force will be with me!

:-)

Ha! First thought going through my head was 'I need some Hendrix!'........maybe like erm.....'Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Chile, ay-hay, yeah', etc! :thumbsup:

(But with all the clicks and scratches from playing vinyl records, natch! :D )

Skoshi_Tiger
May-29-2013, 22:10
Going online was a hoot!

Though I must admit a certain erge to call in the 'Fast Mover' to lay down some napalm at certain stages.

Transition from forward flight to hover and landing are definately a priority for me!

It was a pitty time got away from me.

Cheers!

ATAG_Snapper
May-30-2013, 07:31
Well, first thing I learned was turn off my speakers and just use my headset. My wife didn't mind the chopper sound, but that infernal rpm horn squealing away drove her NUTS!!!! LOL. As I get better at this I'm sure that won't be a factor anymore. :D

OK, so after a couple of thousand crashes just trying to land I decided to jump ahead and blow up stuff. Didn't take too long to figure out how to unleash rockets and Gatling gun. What a BLAST!!!! Blowing up stuff is good for the soul!

:devilish:

Injerin
May-30-2013, 08:40
Good for the soul indeed :)

Dutch
May-30-2013, 12:12
Well, first thing I learned was turn off my speakers and just use my headset. My wife didn't mind the chopper sound, but that infernal rpm horn squealing away drove her NUTS!!!! LOL. As I get better at this I'm sure that won't be a factor anymore. :D

OK, so after a couple of thousand crashes just trying to land I decided to jump ahead and blow up stuff. Didn't take too long to figure out how to unleash rockets and Gatling gun. What a BLAST!!!! Blowing up stuff is good for the soul!

:devilish:

Yesterday I was flying online with Injerin and Furious. Bit silly of me really as I didn't even know how to fly the thing properly. Found a column of 'soft skins' and let rip with all guns. Didn't hit a damned thing!! How are you supposed to aim the guns??? I ended up firing first, then moving the chopper around to spray the target. Still didn't hit anything....:(

Today's objective is to use autopilot to orbit, then to jump into one of the gunner positions and aim that way.........

Oh I also ended up upside down in a field at one point, and that rpm warning started up again. 'yeah, I know the rpms are low. I've just crashed upside down, duh.....!' :D

Edit: Oh, there's a gunsight. Who'da thought it was called a 'flexible' one?? Now I feel dumb..........

Injerin
May-30-2013, 21:55
Yesterday I was flying online with Injerin and Furious. Bit silly of me really as I didn't even know how to fly the thing properly. Found a column of 'soft skins' and let rip with all guns. Didn't hit a damned thing!! How are you supposed to aim the guns??? I ended up firing first, then moving the chopper around to spray the target. Still didn't hit anything....:(

Today's objective is to use autopilot to orbit, then to jump into one of the gunner positions and aim that way.........

Oh I also ended up upside down in a field at one point, and that rpm warning started up again. 'yeah, I know the rpms are low. I've just crashed upside down, duh.....!' :D

Edit: Oh, there's a gunsight. Who'da thought it was called a 'flexible' one?? Now I feel dumb..........

LOL, I have felt your pain lol. What I do is hit autopilot then hit (2) to enter co-pilot seat and use the flex site.. That way everywhere you look you shoot :)
Also you have a selector switch for your guns if you want to only use the left or right gun or both, as the flex site goes it will select for u as you look left and right.
There is also a switch in your center concole that will silence your RPM alarm (toggle switch).

Well, this weekend is going to be spent learning how to land the damn thing lol, I'm getting closer lol

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jun-29-2013, 21:15
That's how I do it too Injerin, auto pilot and left seat, although when the final version is done they should have the flexi sight working better in the right seat. It really is a hoot to fly. Is it just me or do allot the DCS stuff have a little bit of helicopter feel to them? I switched over to the Mustang after flying the Huey for a bit and it felt weird and seemed to move a bit "chopperish"after takeoff and some altitude. Could just be my brain though.

Dutch
Jun-29-2013, 21:48
Could just be my brain though.

Well, you might say that, but I couldn't possibly comment. :D

On the other hand, I think it has something to do with the way we have to set up controls, with sensitivity and curvature and all that. By the time you've set all your control switches and dials, set your curves and got ready to fly, they all seem 'copterish'.

I dunno, I spent a fortune in the sale, but still go back to flyin' a Spitty in Cliffs. But I do miss the pony's .50cals when I do. :goofy

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jun-30-2013, 07:16
Yeah , ha,ha, me too. I bought the whole shebang since it was all on sale. One (with my IQ) could spend a month just getting set up properly. The Huey in particular really flys quite realistically. I say this because of the one in my avatar back in the day. Not having a collective to haul on is a bit weird but I got used to it quickly. I'd love to try and make one with a Motorcycle throttle and a bit of handlebar with one of those controller units sold online for such homemade controllers. May give it a go. In the the real deal, when I was training at Rucker, it was akin to a balancing act that felt like sitting in a bucket on top of a large ball while stiring a kettle and ruddering a taildragger in crosswind on final. All at the same time and whistling dixie :). Whole lot of left/right brain goin on. It made me a better piano player that's for sure:thumbsup:

Dutch
Jun-30-2013, 08:40
Not having a collective to haul on is a bit weird but I got used to it quickly.

I reversed the axis on my G940 throttle, so I have to pull it up and back, rather than push it forward. The throttle is on one of the pov switches on the throttle too, which is about as near as I can simulate a real collective. The motorbike twistgrip idea is excellent though. Mind you, I bet someone already sells 'simpit' copter controls for a humongous sum of dosh.

Yep, they do. How about this then? A snip at $2000 :D

http://www.helicoptersonly.com/contents/en-us/d217.html

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jun-30-2013, 14:54
Ha,ha wow! I'd be killed after my life insurence was paid up by the little lady. Bad enough with Racing gear and flyimg gear. I need to convert a room to a man cave!

The G940 setup sounds pretty cool. How's the FFB on the DCS stuff? Feel relatively decent?

Dutch
Jun-30-2013, 16:13
The G940 setup sounds pretty cool. How's the FFB on the DCS stuff? Feel relatively decent?

It's great with all games, except FSX in my case. Somehow I deleted the profile for that which was provided by Logitech, and since then my stick doesn't function well at all with it. It's as if FSX doesn't 'talk' to the Logitech software at all. Bummer. But it was my fault for deleting the profile. Should've just modified the existing one.

But for the other stuff, DCS, Cliffs, IL2, RoF, it's brilliant. When flying the Spit in Cliffs, tight turns result in the famous Spitfire 'stall warning' of mild buffeting through the stick. Hold it on the buffet and you're in a really tight turn, just like you've read in the books. Excellent.

The best thing about the G940 though, is that you can tailor all of the FFB effects according to your liking. Firstly to the 'overall device' setting, then to each individual game. I'd recommend one to anyone. Couldn't live without it now.

The DCS stuff is particularly good for another reason. When altering trim, the stick actually moves to a new centre position, so you use trim to relieve the stick pressure, just as for real. Other games simply maintain the standard centre position when you add trim.

When flying the Huey, the 'force trim button' immediately keeps the stick at the position you're holding it in, usually quite well forward in normal flight, which works really well too.:thumbsup:

Royraiden
Jun-30-2013, 18:35
It's great with all games, except FSX in my case. Somehow I deleted the profile for that which was provided by Logitech, and since then my stick doesn't function well at all with it. It's as if FSX doesn't 'talk' to the Logitech software at all. Bummer. But it was my fault for deleting the profile. Should've just modified the existing one.

But for the other stuff, DCS, Cliffs, IL2, RoF, it's brilliant. When flying the Spit in Cliffs, tight turns result in the famous Spitfire 'stall warning' of mild buffeting through the stick. Hold it on the buffet and you're in a really tight turn, just like you've read in the books. Excellent.

The best thing about the G940 though, is that you can tailor all of the FFB effects according to your liking. Firstly to the 'overall device' setting, then to each individual game. I'd recommend one to anyone. Couldn't live without it now.

The DCS stuff is particularly good for another reason. When altering trim, the stick actually moves to a new centre position, so you use trim to relieve the stick pressure, just as for real. Other games simply maintain the standard centre position when you add trim.

When flying the Huey, the force trim button immediately keeps the stick at the position you're holding it in, usually quite well forward in normal flight, which works really well too.:thumbsup:

Sounds great.I only wish CH could make a FFB stick.I had a Logitech FORCE 3D before and I loved the FFB but being Logitech, the stick went to crap after less than a month.Before I bought my HOTAS I really thought about the G940 but I read mixed opinions about its reliability.

Dutch
Jun-30-2013, 21:10
Before I bought my HOTAS I really thought about the G940 but I read mixed opinions about its reliability.

Well, I've had mine for two and a half years now, without any problems at all, not even the 'reversal bug' that people talk of. It's important to thoroughly clear out all old stick related software though, as I did have some sort of conflict with the old software I had for a basic 3Dpro at first. But once I'd done that, all was hunky-dory, until I ballsed up FSX. But that was my fault. Apparently there is a way round it, but it's very time consuming, so I haven't bothered.

The only issue I have now is if I alt/tab out of Cliffs for any reason. This locks the stick solid, until I yank really hard on the elevator. I'm sure anyone watching would be saying 'What the Hell is Dutch doing??', as I gyrate around the sky in an out of control fashion, but it's just to get my stick working properly chaps, honest. :D

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jul-02-2013, 08:25
I hear you Roy. I too wish CH would make a FFB since their stuff is very solid and well thought out. I have a MS sidewinder 2 and loved the feel it gave me but didn't have enough buttons and they were placed weird. It's so much more realistic or at least immersive to have good FFB.

I really need to give that G940 system a try Dutch. It sounds really good. Next time I hit my number, I'm gonna pick me up a set.:thumbsup:

PS: Well, I didn't hit my number but I did find a pretty good deal on a set after looking around so I pulled the trigger and swooped it up :-)