PDA

View Full Version : As suggested by Talisman - small but fast dogfight missions

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-04-2013, 10:15
S! All,

I'm going to open up one of Talisman's suggestions in another thread for discussion. (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4637&p=47069#post47069)

What do folks think about having some small maps (volcano/ scimitar) inserted between missions now and then with short (15 to 20 minutes) play times (and air-spawns on)?
Perhaps warnings would come up every 2 or 5 minutes, advising how much time was left in these dogfights.....

Moving to a dogfight map currently means leaving the server, and the players that you've just been fighting with/ against. Would it be fun to blast out the cobwebs between the longer missions?

This mini-bust-up would also give other players the chance to go ablution, get beer/ coffeee etc if they wanted a short break between missions, without mission out on any of the objective completions?

Dutch
Jun-04-2013, 11:50
Hmmm, dunno. I remember suggesting to Bliss that we had a laugh on server 2 when the sukhoi became available with it's cartoon ray-guns. Bliss set up a mission on server 2 with the Sukhoi on both sides, for everyone to have a bit of light relief.

Result? - Zero players! Bad suggestion on my part obviously. :D

But there are a couple of D/F servers already out there, which never seem to be as popular as the full map servers, unless our Russian pals are doing their championship thing. So I'd probably vote 'No'.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-04-2013, 12:18
Hmmm, dunno. I remember suggesting to Bliss that we had a laugh on server 2 when the sukhoi became available with it's cartoon ray-guns. Bliss set up a mission on server 2 with the Sukhoi on both sides, for everyone to have a bit of light relief.
But there are a couple of D/F servers already out there, which never seem to be as popular as the full map servers, unless our Russian pals are doing their championship thing. So I'd probably vote 'No'.

Good points Dutch. I'm not sure what side of this fence I'd fall now...
However, if the server emptied, then I'd certainly expect the idea to be dropped immediately.

Talisman
Jun-04-2013, 15:13

The sukhoi cartoon ray-gun thing would not interest me at all, as I purchased this sim for the WWII BoB plane set. What is CloD if it ain't a historic combat flight sim? It sure ain't Star Wars. I would fly a star wars game and not CloD if I was into total fantasy flight games. My interest is WWII historic combat flight simulation, which I suspect why most people purchased CloD. I suppose I could be wrong about that though I suppose, LOL.

Happy landings,

Talisman

kopperdrake
Jun-04-2013, 15:25
Hmm - it's a decent suggestion but personally I'm either in the mood for a half-hour or more of mission completion on the ATAG server, or a quick 30 minute max shooting practice on Repka or similar. If you changed the style of game totally then you're not guaranteed the players who are on in one style of game will hang around for the next style of game. If you come on for a decent long mission game and it's not there then you'll not hang around for the 10 minutes or so and will likely go elsewhere, such as ACG.

Having said all that - what damage can it do to give it a whirl and try it! If it works, hurrah, if not, a chalk up to experience :D

Dutch
Jun-05-2013, 12:03
The sukhoi cartoon ray-gun thing would not interest me at all, as I purchased this sim for the WWII BoB plane set. What is CloD if it ain't a historic combat flight sim? It sure ain't Star Wars. I would fly a star wars game and not CloD if I was into total fantasy flight games. My interest is WWII historic combat flight simulation, which I suspect why most people purchased CloD. I suppose I could be wrong about that though I suppose, LOL.

Well, precisely. I rest my case. Why have short 'fantasy island' dogfight maps in between the main BoB missions, if the reason you're there in the first place is to fly 'WWII historic combat flight simulation'? Dogfight servers are available, so if people wanna dogfight only, they should go there. :thumbsup:

DRock
Jun-05-2013, 22:15
I like dogfights as much as the next person, but not at the expense of the realism of this sim. I prefer to earn the fight. That is, warming up, gear up, searching the sky's, the chase, the kill, the RTB or plunge into the sea. It's not easy and it shouldn't be. There's an endless number of scenarios and outcomes to these BoB maps.

If you're bored, change it up. Fly a g50 instead of 4-n, bomber instead of fighter. Nothing shows you have guts like a low flight over the Tripods in a bright red Tiger Moth. When is the last time you did that?

Limited only by imagination.

Cheers,
ATAG_DRock

Gromit
Jun-10-2013, 10:54
I like dogfights as much as the next person, but not at the expense of the realism of this sim. I prefer to earn the fight. That is, warming up, gear up, searching the sky's, the chase, the kill, the RTB or plunge into the sea. It's not easy and it shouldn't be. There's an endless number of scenarios and outcomes to these BoB maps.

If you're bored, change it up. Fly a g50 instead of 4-n, bomber instead of fighter. Nothing shows you have guts like a low flight over the Tripods in a bright red Tiger Moth. When is the last time you did that?

Limited only by imagination.

Cheers,
ATAG_DRock

I'm seeing more E1's these days, being a hurri player that's great because it's a good matchup, would love to see more guys fly the G50/Hurricane instead of the uber 11a and 109e4n, if we had the gunpack on the Blenny a me110 v blenhiem brawl would be a hoot.
In terms of missions I see the 109b being a major fly in the ointment as it negates any point in flying a twin to do the job, red has no counterpart so mission imbalance is hard to avoid!

Talisman
Jun-11-2013, 14:42
I'm seeing more E1's these days, being a hurri player that's great because it's a good matchup, would love to see more guys fly the G50/Hurricane instead of the uber 11a and 109e4n, if we had the gunpack on the Blenny a me110 v blenhiem brawl would be a hoot.
In terms of missions I see the 109b being a major fly in the ointment as it negates any point in flying a twin to do the job, red has no counterpart so mission imbalance is hard to avoid!

I understand what you are saying Gromit regarding the Me 109 bomber versions, but it underlines the point that I have made in threads before about the LW aircraft inventory being geared very much more to attack and the RAF more to defence at this time of the war. That is why, IMHO, map makers would better serve the community if we had more, but not all, maps trying to represent the BoB. Asking the red team to do the same thing as blue team in terms of ground target destruction map winning objectives is not going to be balanced unless you give both teams the option of using all of the aircraft available on CloD, whether RAF, LW or Italian.

Regarding the Hurricane during the BoB. It was mostly outclassed by the Me 109, but that did not matter so much in the BoB as the Hurry did not stand on its own but rather it was part of a system, Dowding's system for air defence, which was the best in the world at the time. Dowding's system for air defence, included the coordinated use of radar, Observer Corps, intelligence, filter rooms, fighter control (which vectored defending fighters to enemy formations until they had visual contact) etc, and both the fast to build and replace Hurricane together with the better performing but slower to build Spitfire. The system optimised the efficient use of available resources including fuel, aircraft and pilots, etc, by directing fighters and other resources to best effect with minimum effort. The Hurricanes were used more to deal with the bombers and the Spitfires were used more to look after the LW fighter cover if it was there. So, trying to use the Hurricane in dog fights directly against the Me 109, like some do in CloD, without anything approaching the Dowding system for air defence or a map trying to depict the BoB, is always going to be a very tall order. That is why most people will chose to fly a Spit rather than a Hurry. Also, it is why, IMHO, Spits should never be restricted in numbers on maps that are not historic, that do not place the RAF on a defensive posture and do not provide something approaching the Dowding system for air defence.

Happy landings,

Talisman