Jun-09-2013, 05:06

http://s23.postimg.org/vu9ei6ju3/92_Geoffrey_Wellum_by_Reflected.jpg

Mysticpuma
Jun-09-2013, 14:29
Which Spitfire is it for?

Cheers

reflected
Jun-09-2013, 16:30
Historically it's for the 100 octane MkIa, but it works fine on any type in game.

Dutch
Jun-09-2013, 18:43
Historically it's for the 100 octane MkIa, but it works fine on any type in game.

Sorry mate, not so, 'historically'. QJ-K was Wellum's first a/c in 92 squadron, and in his book he comments 'throttle back a bit and coarsen the pitch, no constant speed as in the Harvard, which is a bit backward.' So it was a two-pitch job, although of course they were all MkIs at first, MkIa only came about when they introduced the 'b' wing configuration, but of course we've all got used to the daft terminology in Cliffs of Dover. Consequently, as a group, we're re-writing history.

I have no intention of debating whether or not QJ-K was 87 or 100octane fuelled, as I'm sure you'll appreciate! :D

Nice skin, by the way. Thanks! :thumbsup:

reflected
Jun-10-2013, 01:37
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that, but now it rings a bell! Even though I've read "First Light" at least 3 times :-)

I assume QJ-K might have been refitted with CSP like all Spits until the end of June? Wellum must have flown a plane after that too, and on all aviation art prints (not a reliable source) I see QJ-K. It's just a wild guess though...

reflected
Jun-10-2013, 02:01
Look what I found:

Supermarine Spitfire Mk IA K9998 QJ-K 92 Squadron,
Plt. Off Geoffrey Wellum, RAF Biggin Hill, October 1940.

K9998 was one of the first production batch of Spitfires originally ordered in June 1936, and built at Woolston, near Southampton between May 1938 and September 1939. Its first flight was on 1 June 1939, and by this time the Merlin III was the standard engine, fitted with a de Havilland three-blade, two-speed propeller; this would be replaced by one with a constant speed unit in the middle of 1940. K9998 (constructor's number 212) was allocated to 504 Squadron (a Hurricane unit) on 2 November 1939, but quickly transferred to 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron on 6 November. It overturned on soft ground on landing at Dyce on 9 February 1940, and on 24 February 1940 it was sent to Air Service Training, presumably for rebuild and modifications. On 2 July it joined 92 Squadron which at that time, after spells at Northolt and Hornchurch, was stationed at Pembrey on the coast of Wales carrying out convoy patrols. On 9 September the squadron transferred to Biggin Hill, where it remained until the end of 1941. On 1 November 1940 K9998 went to 7 Operational Training Unit at Hawarden, which was later redesignated 57 OTU; on 26 August 1941 it dropped a wing landing at Hawarden and cartwheeled, and was assessed as Category B. It ended its days as maintenance airframe 2822M, joining 6 School of Technical Training at Hednesford at the end of 1941.

http://www.pewteraircraft.com/RAF/SPITFIRE%20I%20148%20G%20WELLUM/SPITFIRE%20I%20G%20WELLUM.htm

So indeed you are right, at the time of Wellum's first flight it was fitted with a de Havilland prop, which was soon replaced by a Rotol CSP. If I recall correctly Wellum mentions "pushing the throttle through the gate" which makes me think that at some point 100oct fuel was used, but I might be wrong. By November 1940 weren't all Spits 100oct? Especially those stationed in one of the key airfields such as Biggin Hill.

Dutch
Jun-10-2013, 08:42
Look what I found:

http://www.pewteraircraft.com/RAF/SPITFIRE%20I%20148%20G%20WELLUM/SPITFIRE%20I%20G%20WELLUM.htm

So indeed you are right, at the time of Wellum's first flight it was fitted with a de Havilland prop, which was soon replaced by a Rotol CSP. If I recall correctly Wellum mentions "pushing the throttle through the gate" which makes me think that at some point 100oct fuel was used, but I might be wrong. By November 1940 weren't all Spits 100oct? Especially those stationed in one of the key airfields such as Biggin Hill.

Good find! Thanks. Of course it's the manufacturer's code that matters, not the squadron code. I'd assume that by the time 92 transferred from Pembrey to Biggin, the Spits would have been upgraded to CSPs. Prior to Pembrey, they were involved at Dunkirk, so as a front line Squadron would already have been 100oct too. In other words, It'd be appropriate to use your skin on anything bar the MkII, which is what you said in the first place. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-10-2013, 10:56
Great info, guys! :thumbsup:

I'm gonna dig out my copy of First Light and give it another read.

:)

Dutch
Jun-10-2013, 13:02
Wellum must have flown a plane after that too, and on all aviation art prints (not a reliable source) I see QJ-K. It's just a wild guess though...

I'm only really posting this because I like talking about Wellum, but after he was shot up by a 109 in QJ-K, when out of ammo after shooting down a Heinkel, he says that the aircraft had to 'go away' for repairs. Presumably, it went to the OTU at Hawarden once repairs were completed. Of course 92 Squadron would still have had a QJ-K, but it would've been a different a/c, with a different pilot.

Brian Kingcombe, his Flight Lieutenant says at one point 'Geoffrey, move your things into ''G'' will you? It's a nice shiny new aeroplane especially for you. ''G'' for Geoffrey, apt isn't it?' This (according to the book) is in September 1940, and I assume this a/c to be a IIa. Actually, thinking about it, the BBMF had their IIa painted up as 'QJ-G' during the year the film of the book came out.

Of course, the book can't be considered to be 100% factually correct, as he didn't write the original manuscript until the 1970s, but it's a darn good read, nonetheless. :D

reflected
Jun-11-2013, 06:51
Indeed Dutch, I remember that part. It was even featured in BBC's movie version.

I've also seen some paintings about QJ-G, and din't quite understand, but now it all makes sense. thanks! ;)

"First Light" is definitely one of the best aviation related books. Geoffrey Wellum was not only a great pilot, but a talented writer too. I once sent his publisher a letter, and to my greatest surprise I got a reply in my mailbox 2 weeks later. All handwritten by Geoffrey Wellum himself. Now it's hanging on my wall, framed.

Dutch
Jun-11-2013, 07:01
Indeed Dutch, I remember that part. It was even featured in BBC's movie version.

I've also seen some paintings about QJ-G, and din't quite understand, but now it all makes sense. thanks! ;)

"First Light" is definitely one of the best aviation related books. Geoffrey Wellum was not only a great pilot, but a talented writer too. I once sent his publisher a letter, and to my greatest surprise I got a reply in my mailbox 2 weeks later. All handwritten by Geoffrey Wellum himself. Now it's hanging on my wall, framed.

Oh wow! That's excellent. No chance you could scan it and post is there? :D

reflected
Jun-11-2013, 13:09
Oh wow! That's excellent. No chance you could scan it and post is there? :D

Here you go:

http://s24.postimg.org/jmdsba9wl/securedownload.jpg

Dutch
Jun-11-2013, 15:06
Excellent mate thanks a bunch!

I wonder how many of us will now immediately jump on Google Earth and have a butcher's at his house?? :D

Thanks for posting!

:salute:

reflected
Jun-11-2013, 16:05
Great idea mate, I never thought of that! :D

He's got a beautiful house in a peaceful little town.