PDA

View Full Version : Closing the 'Info Window'

Wulf
Jun-10-2013, 08:04
I don't typically play around with features like the "info window" but in a moment of madness I decided to see what the hell an info window was and ended up with 3 of the things on my screen. I can make them smaller but I can't actually get rid of them. Anyone know how you do it? And I've managed to turn one of them into an opaque square that won't minimize at all. I've right and left clicked on them etc but nothing seems to remove them.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-10-2013, 08:16
I don't typically play around with features like the "info window" but in a moment of madness I decided to see what the hell an info window was and ended up with 3 of the things on my screen. I can make them smaller but I can't actually get rid of them. Anyone know how you do it? And I've managed to turn one of them into an opaque square that won't minimize at all. I've right and left clicked on them etc but nothing seems to remove them.

Alt-click to select the window.
The right click, once it is selected to get a menu
selet the "close window" menu option

AS a general guide some of the content of this video might help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL_Q0veujy0

Wulf
Jun-10-2013, 09:00
Alt-click to select the window.
The right click, once it is selected to get a menu
selet the "close window" menu option

AS a general guide some of the content of this video might help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL_Q0veujy0

If only life was that simple. I now have 3 opaque squares on my screen and one empty "info window". When I pressed the Alt key down and right or left clicked, nothing happened????? The only menu box that comes up is the little one that enables me to create yet more bloody info windows. Ugh!

Dutch
Jun-10-2013, 09:19
Wulf, press alt and left click together to activate the window, then right click and you have an option to 'close info window'.

Hang on, that's what Phil just said. :D

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-10-2013, 09:22
If only life was that simple. I now have 3 opaque squares on my screen and one empty "info window". When I pressed the Alt key down and right or left clicked, nothing happened????? The only menu box that comes up is the little one that enables me to create yet more bloody info windows. Ugh!

OK,

The three opaque boxes that you have on screen are not windows. We will deal with them later.

Let's deal with the info-window first.

1. Hold down alt on your keyboard and at the same time, left-click on that info window with your mouse.
2. If the header bar of that info window goes blue, then it is selected.
3. Now right click with your mouse and read the menu
4. Select "close window" to remove it
5. left click on your screen, away from where the window was

Please do all 5 above one by one. Report anything that does not go as outlined, and please state at exactly what step the problem occurred.

Wulf
Jun-10-2013, 09:51
Unfortunately nothing worked! For whatever reason pressing Alt and left clicking the mouse has no noticeable impact on anything. The little bar along the top of the info window won't turn blue anymore and the three opaque boxes (which may be map boxes now - I think this was one of the available options when you right clicked on an info window and a menu came up) remain equally unmoved by my efforts. :S

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-10-2013, 09:54
Unfortunately nothing worked! For whatever reason pressing Alt and left clicking the mouse has no noticeable impact on anything. The little bar along the top of the info window won't turn blue anymore and the three opaque boxes (which may be map boxes now - I think this was one of the available options when you right clicked on an info window and a menu came up) remain equally unmoved by my efforts. :S

OK great. so we know that the problem is right at the start. This is good news, albeit that it is also bad news ;)

Can you confirm absolutely that you alt+clicked ON THE WINDOW itself? (I'm sorry to labour this point, and sorry if it seems I'm treating you like a kid)
Try alt+clicking on the header-section of the window.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-10-2013, 09:59
Ah, and can you answer yes/ no to these questions:

1. Do you run the game in full mode or Windowed mode (F11)?

2. Are any of the in-cockpit controls clickable with your mouse?

3. Does F10 enable, and then disable your mouse?

4. Can you hear the people sing, singing the songs of angry men?

Wulf
Jun-10-2013, 10:50
OK great. so we know that the problem is right at the start. This is good news, albeit that it is also bad news ;)

Can you confirm absolutely that you alt+clicked ON THE WINDOW itself? (I'm sorry to labour this point, and sorry if it seems I'm treating you like a kid)
Try alt+clicking on the header-section of the window.

Yup, I absolutely clicked on the info window and on the bar at the top; yes.

Wulf
Jun-10-2013, 10:56
Ah, and can you answer yes/ no to these questions:

1. Do you run the game in full mode or Windowed mode (F11)?

2. Are any of the in-cockpit controls clickable with your mouse?

3. Does F10 enable, and then disable your mouse?

4. Can you hear the people sing, singing the songs of angry men?

1) full mode

2) Um...(scratch head) not sure, but I don't think so.

3) Yes, F10 enables/disables the mouse

4) yes, yes, I certainly hear voices in my head all the time with people talking and plotting against me etc, etc but I don't think any of them have ever sung, well, not that song anyway....

Does this help.................

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-10-2013, 10:56
ok. if you right click on your screen, whilst in-cockpit do you get any kind of menu that pops up?

Wulf
Jun-10-2013, 11:07
ok. if you right click on your screen, whilst in-cockpit do you get any kind of menu that pops up?

Yes, if I right click on the screen I get a menu box that says:

Map
new info window
show object names
view aircraft
Return to menu

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-10-2013, 11:30
ok this is good news. At least we know the interface is working.

If you don't mind the risk of not being able to close it again...

Select "new info window" from the menu that appears.

Once you have created a new window, go through the step-by-step process I identified earlier to delete that new window.

Let me know if that works for the new window.

(I suspect I know what your issue is.... I think you have two windows overlapping each other, but the window on top does not have a header bar, so it's not highlighting)

Wulf
Jun-10-2013, 21:32
ok this is good news. At least we know the interface is working.

If you don't mind the risk of not being able to close it again...

Select "new info window" from the menu that appears.

Once you have created a new window, go through the step-by-step process I identified earlier to delete that new window.

Let me know if that works for the new window.

(I suspect I know what your issue is.... I think you have two windows overlapping each other, but the window on top does not have a header bar, so it's not highlighting)

Thanks Phil. I did as you suggested and created a new info window and then exited out in the way you suggested. Then, for some reason I can't explain, I was then able to successfully do the same to the other info windows that had since morphed into opaque squares. Weird!

Thanks again, really appreciate your help.

Wulf
Jun-11-2013, 00:34
Thought I had the situation under control so I created another 'info window' but as before I find that the bar at the top won't go blue and the only menu that comes up is the one that allows me to make more windows. God knows what's going on. I suspect I'm supposed to be in some sort of 'mode' or other before it works but I can't figure out what it is that I have or haven't done. I note that I'm not even able to mimimise the window at present. It's entirely unresponsive. :confused!:

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-11-2013, 04:52
Maybe there is a setting under controls someplace to enable HUD or in-game interface editing.

I'm at work again right now so I can't follow up on this... I'm keen to see this resolved though.

Wulf
Jun-11-2013, 07:48
OK, well from what I can tell I can close an info window. However, to do it I must firstly create a new window and then close both. Don't know if other people have to follow the same procedure or not.

Once upon a time I could access information online about damage received or inflicted during air combat. Do you know if that info is still accessible and if it is, how you get access to it?

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-11-2013, 08:53
Once upon a time I could access information online about damage received or inflicted during air combat. Do you know if that info is still accessible and if it is, how you get access to it?

you can get the info window to show "vehicle damage"
See my video posted earlier about how to change what information is shown in the windows

Dutch
Jun-11-2013, 09:47

I think you may be referring to a little of ATAG_Colander's magic there Wulf. After a flight, a screen came up online telling you what damage you'd inflicted and/or received. It disappeared once the TF patch was released.