PDA

View Full Version : Please help- about to give up on these launcher.exe crashes.

trademe900
Jun-10-2013, 23:37
Hi all. I have posted in the 1c forum but didn't get through the problem. Have followed the master list here with no luck- win update, verify steam, dotnetfix, direct x, etc.

win 7 32 bit
AMD X2 260
4gb
EVGA 560ti (just replaced HD6670)

I know- the cpu is going to raise a few eyebrows but I just got a 560ti (replacing a weak hd6670) and put it in to find the game now looks amazing and can run very smooth indeed on high settings, even over London. It's a whole new game in that regard.

However, the game is unfortunately still not playable. I can not play the channel map with more than a few players or I get launcher crashes either before I get in or a couple of seconds in. Same as before with the hd6670. In fact, it seems even worse as now I get launcher crashes in single player which I didn't get before. Pseudo full screen doesn't help. However, it seems playing on small maps is no problem.

Please, can someone help me identify why I can not play this game?

Is it ram? I have 4gb and have read that with 32bit it's only worth having that much- surely there are people running the game fine on 32 bit 4gb ram?

Cpu- I know it's very slow but the game runs extremely well with the 560ti.

Must be some sort of software conflict. Thank you for the help.

ATAG_Headshot
Jun-11-2013, 01:15
I was having launcher crashes recently and the usual fixes didn't work. Finally I backed up my config files then fully uninstalled the game and deleted all the files from my comp and then did a complete and fresh install. That fixed it for me at least!

trademe900
Jun-11-2013, 02:20
I was having launcher crashes recently and the usual fixes didn't work. Finally I backed up my config files then fully uninstalled the game and deleted all the files from my comp and then did a complete and fresh install. That fixed it for me at least!

Thanks for the response. Incredible- looks like the game can be all fine for a while and then actually corrupt itself somehow.

Kling
Jun-11-2013, 04:27
Thanks for the response. Incredible- looks like the game can be all fine for a while and then actually corrupt itself somehow.

As you mention, I think its Win 32 related. I used to have plenty of launcher crashes on my old 32bit system but they disappeared over night when I installed a 64bit system..

Good luck! :)

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-11-2013, 04:50
I agree with Kling. The game hates 32bit operating system. There is a solution, enable Large Address Aware so that the game can use more than 2GB RAM.

Google Search: win7 enable large address

trademe900
Jun-11-2013, 22:23
I just wanted to post back with the good news and say that I am extremely happy to have ridden the issue!

Solution: reformat computer and install windows 7 64 bit. Was a mission but after wiping the hard drive and starting with a clean sheet with win 7 64 bit, it is a whole new game.

With the EVGA 560ti the game looks totally amazing and runs very smooth, despite what most would call a severe bottle-neck with the AMD X2 260 cpu.

Also, if it's worth noting to anyone low on cash and looking to play this game, I am convinced that you don't need a good cpu. It literally transformed into a new game with the 560ti. My cpu is only being used about 60-70%. Ram 4gb and stutters that I've noticed so far. Ram usage is at 80% with 45 people on channel map. Would I benefit at all with 8gb?

I've also backed up the fresh install of the game in case I get cursed with that launcher.exe message again.

windows 64 bit solves everything. Do not waste your time on 32bit, even if you have only 4gb ram.

Far out, the game looks breathtaking!

Dutch
Jun-11-2013, 22:42
Now that's what I call a result. Good to know you've sorted it mate. :thumbsup:

trademe900
Jun-11-2013, 23:04
Now that's what I call a result. Good to know you've sorted it mate. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help Dutch. If it weren't for you checking back at 1c boards for stragglers like me, I would have given up for sure.

LG1.Farber
Jun-12-2013, 06:57
Antispyware/antivirus turn to gaming mode.

Kling
Jun-12-2013, 07:02
Thanks for your help Dutch. If it weren't for you checking back at 1c boards for stragglers like me, I would have given up for sure.

Great to hear bud!
Now, download Teamspeak 3 and get to know the guys in a more personal way! We are all friendly bunch!
Well.. except for ATAG_Dutch, he eats children for breakfast... But the rest of us are!! :P

I think you are right about that the game is mostly GPU depending and i have no idea about AMD Cpus but if you can overclock that Cpu they you have a good computer IMO.
Another 2-4gigs of ram would never hurt as Win7 64 uses quite a bit.

Im waiting for autumn when im planning to upgrade my GTX580 to a GTX 780 :)

Let me know if you are intrested in buying that one ;)