PDA

View Full Version : de havilland prop vs ground handling

reflected
Jun-11-2013, 02:09
There's something I've been wondering about:

I can taxi and turn any plane on the ground just fine, except for Spits and Hurricanes with de Havilland props. Even though I set it to fine it's like having superglue on the tires. I know it's not supposed to accelerate like rotol equipped aircrafts but it's insane. I can't turn them wither, the wind is much stronger than any rudder I can apply.

Please tell me it's a bug and it's being looked at. Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Gromit
Jun-11-2013, 04:44
I find you get rudder authority as speed increases, but it's slow to accelerate and that's the problem?

reflected
Jun-11-2013, 05:16
It accelerates ridiculously slowly and there's no rudder authority to taxi around (unless you taxi at 60 mph).

Just taxi around in a MKI and a MKII one after the other and you'll see what I'm talking about.

What is even more strange is when I try to take off with my wingmen: they can accelerate much, much better (I have my pitch on fine)

Dutch
Jun-11-2013, 06:18
I agree it doesn't 'feel' right reflected. The acceleration of the DH props should be inferior to the CSPs of course, but to me it's like the 'plane is towing a cement truck. Needing +3 boost just to get rolling can't be right surely?

reflected
Jun-11-2013, 06:53
Yes. The difference is very well modeled on A2A's accusim Spitfire. it's noticeable but not this big.

The low speed rudder authority (or the lack thereof) is even more annoying, because it makes taxiing almost impossible even with differential brakes.

Skoshi_Tiger
Jun-11-2013, 08:22
According to my Osprey book (yes- I know ;) ) , the two-pitch de Havilland Spitfires had a takeoff run (in still air) of 320 yards. The CSU took the takeoff run down to 225 yards, which would be about 70% of the distance. I assume there wouldn't be too much difference in the takeoff speed (only 150 odd pounds heavier for the CSU). To me that would suggest quite a noticable difference in acceleration between the two planes.

What do you recon?

reflected
Jun-11-2013, 08:47
Yes, I can agree with that. What I can't agree with is the difference between AI and human planes, the fact that you need 50% throttle to taxi and the inability to turn the machine on the ground.