PDA

View Full Version : Finding Ground Targets?

TWC_BikerJack
Jun-12-2013, 09:02
Silly "fairly noob" question.

Can someone please explain the criteria for specifying target location on ATAG?

If a target is located at G10.4 (as an example), does that mean it is in grid square G10 at 4 o'clock (i.e. bottom right quarter) or is there a grid system within the G10 grid square (i.e. say, 9 smaller squares numbered 1 to 9). If so, does the smaller grid run top row 1, 2, 3 and then second row 4, 5, 6 etc?

I often have trouble locating ground targets whether friendly or blue. Assuming that my navigation skills get me to the right grid square in the first place, where is .4 in the square?

I have searched the forum for an answer to no avail and have asked on TS before but never had a definitive answer.

Just starting to learn to fly the Blenheim and bombing so identifying and finding ground targets is fairly crucial:goofy

Thanks

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-12-2013, 09:26
Hi Bikerjack,

The decimal portion of the grid reference represents the "numpad position" in the grid square.

http://www.pbase.com/daverilstone/image/150750206.jpg

So, your target in G10.4 would be located in the left side of the G10 grid square about halfway up.

TWC_BikerJack
Jun-12-2013, 09:31
Hi Bikerjack,

The decimal portion of the grid reference represents the "numpad position" in the grid square.

http://www.pbase.com/daverilstone/image/150750206.jpg

So, your target in G10.4 would be located in the left side of the G10 grid square about halfway up.

Thanks Snapper. I knew it was a simple system but it had slipped my mind!

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-12-2013, 09:36
It was a good question. I've stickied this thread. We're fortunate to have lots of new players join us with the Team Fusion patches, so the odds are many will be wondering the exact same thing. Hopefully this will make it a little easier for everyone. :thumbsup:

:salute:

AKA_Recon
Sep-09-2013, 18:26
Any chance of considering some recon photos ?

I flew for 30 minutes over the area in briefing and still didn't see them - I did manage to always find the artillery

ATAG_Snapper
Sep-09-2013, 19:27

I flew for 30 minutes over the area in briefing and still didn't see them - I did manage to always find the artillery

Great idea! :thumbsup:

But where can we find anyone named "Recon" to do this little task?

:)

Hoots
Sep-10-2013, 02:10
Great idea! :thumbsup:

But where can we find anyone named "Recon" to do this little task?

:)

With the firm opening that I know bugger all about mission design is there a way of having a "recon" mission type? Maybe once someone has flown to the area a screen shot or something could be added to the briefing? Horribly simplistic I know but as a habitual blenny pilot it's annoying circling over the target being shot at whilst I search for the target.

And yes, I vote for recon to do alllllll the recon missions.

EG14_Marcast
Sep-10-2013, 03:24

I agree :thumbsup:. I have not yet seen an "armor column" :(

AKA_Recon
Sep-10-2013, 09:05
Funny- I'll treat as initiation into the cool kids club - 'send Recon off to take photos over flak infested depots' - I assume if I don't make it home, I can't post the image? ::-)

So you guys think pilots all flew by the seat of their pants with no intel, nothing but a 'sector 10.5' location ? :) The entire British airforce doesn't have a single recon photo available ?

As a team working every night on completing mission objectives, you'd think we'd find a slew of intel on this forum by the experienced hands contributing back to us newbie bomber pilots.... hint hint :thumbsup:

AKA_Recon
Sep-10-2013, 09:06
I meant to add as well - it would seem a good thing to put in the 'slides' section of the mission ? (or do we have that in mp ?)

ATAG_Snapper
Sep-10-2013, 09:20
I meant to add as well - it would seem a good thing to put in the 'slides' section of the mission ? (or do we have that in mp ?)

Go for it! :thumbsup:

If you post your screenshot jpgs here, we'll see if we can't get them implemented as you describe. Great initiative, Recon!

:-)

Roblex
Sep-10-2013, 15:16

The fuel dump at Estree is a special problem for two reasons:-

1) It is mentioned in two maps but only exists in one of them. You have to scroll down to see if it is mentioned again at the bottom among to be sure (unless they have fixed this?)

2) The grid given for it is wrong. The briefing says the target is in M2.5 but the target is on the West, ie Left, side of Estree Airfield which is in M2.4.

AKA_Recon
Sep-10-2013, 19:52
Go for it! :thumbsup:

If you post your screenshot jpgs here, we'll see if we can't get them implemented as you describe. Great initiative, Recon!

:-)

Lol - if I can find them haha!!!

FYI forum description : "In here you'll find screen shots and detailed briefs about our missions. Please leave as much feedback as you like to help us improve on them. If you have a mission you would like us to host, post it in here."

ATAG_Snapper
Sep-10-2013, 20:27
Lol - if I can find them haha!!!

FYI forum description : "In here you'll find screen shots and detailed briefs about our missions. Please leave as much feedback as you like to help us improve on them. If you have a mission you would like us to host, post it in here."

LOL. Yeah, I was just having a bit of fun! :D

Seriously, I don't think the screenshots of the targets were ever done. I know that I've had some trouble finding my OWN targets to defend at times. What I'll try to do over the next week or so is grab a fast Spit 1a 100 octane, fly low and fast over each target area, open my canopy, and take some screenshots from different angles. One nice thing is that, unlike real life, the screenshots will be saved whether I get knocked down by flak or opposing fighters. (Don't tell Keller...he's a stickler for realism and will insist I erase any jpgs that I didn't get back safely to base! LOL).

Actually, I invite anyone and everyone who's interested to do the same photo recce missions. We should get a good collection of Red and Blue targets for each mission. :thumbsup:

1lokos
Sep-10-2013, 21:05
AKA_Recon View Post

Go for it!

Slides are not visible only for single player mission? Or work in MP too?

Is possible access a web page in game (overlay, like map), eg. detailed mission briefing, using STEAM browser (Shift+tab), just save the url previously in then.

Sokol1

palker
Sep-11-2013, 08:43
I made some screenshots of a M 4.5 armour group quite a while ago

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3661

EG14_Marcast
Sep-11-2013, 09:18
I made some screenshots of a M 4.5 armour group quite a while ago

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3661

This is really an accurate recon photo :thumbsup:. If I had it yesterday night, maybe I could have avoided to be shot down three times by that flak while searching to spot those bloody tanks :grrr:

Skoshi_Tiger
Sep-14-2013, 11:09

Photo of the ammo dump at P5 just east of Desviers(?) North is to the right of the picture
I could only locate one of the AA batteries close by the target.

Incog
Apr-21-2014, 08:41
Is there any way to have these in the mission briefings? Would be that much more immersive. :D

Also put it in black/white with like hand-drawn chalk marks to show different stuff and stuff.

ATAG_Lolsav
Apr-21-2014, 09:32
Is there any way to have these in the mission briefings?

I do not believe so, since a jpg would increase the ammount of download for the mission running the risk of having a more "stutery" server due to downloads of jpgs.

But a link pointing to a external jpg could be doable i believe.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Apr-21-2014, 10:46
I know Hans has recon photos in his mission briefings located in this thread below this sticky by missions.

As far as black and white with chalk stuff and stuff.... I am using Hans idea and will have recon photos as well, and I will see what I can do in CS to give them that look.

1lokos
Apr-21-2014, 12:41
SP,

Make his "recon" pictures available in game, put then on HTML page, and the link for this page in your text briefing.
So players have the option to access then in game via STEAM browser (Shift+Tab).

Sokol1

♣_Spiritus_♣
Apr-21-2014, 13:52
Excellent idea lokos, Chuck was saying something about being able to share jpgs through steam last night and I didnt even think about that.

:salute:

No.401_Wolverine
Apr-21-2014, 15:14
Is there any way to have these in the mission briefings? Would be that much more immersive. :D

Also put it in black/white with like hand-drawn chalk marks to show different stuff and stuff.

You mean like 401's target reconnaissance photos for their briefings?

http://401squadron.boardforum.ca/users/1816/25/87/52/album/recon210.jpg

http://401squadron.boardforum.ca/users/1816/25/87/52/album/recon310.jpg