PDA

View Full Version : DCS Summer Sale

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-12-2013, 11:14
DCS Summer Sale coming up according to a FB post:

DCS Summer Sale - Next Week

Starting the 20th of June, we will offer massive 60% off sale of DCS products. The exception will be Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 having a 40% off sale. The sale will last until the 30th of June:

DCS: UH-1H Huey - $19.99
DCS: Combined Arms $11.99
DCS: P-51D Mustang $15.99
DCS: Black Shark 2 - $15.99
DCS: Black Shark 2 Upgrade $11.99
DCS: A-10C Warthog $15.99
DCS: A-10C Warthog 1.1.0.7 (English DVD box) $15.99
DCS: Black Shark (DVD box) $15.99
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 $29.99
DCS: Black Shark $7.99

I'm not 100% convinced yet that the Huey will be there for $20 but if it is I'll definitely be getting that. For those who haven't got the Mustang it's a steal at $15 and with the FW190-D9 in the works it's a good chance to get some familiarity with a high fidelity WWII plane.

Dutch
Jun-12-2013, 11:17
Typical. In the last week i've bought both the Huey and the P-51 at full price.

:(

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-12-2013, 11:45
Yep. Paid $50 for the Huey, soon to be $20. Dang!:P

Dutch
Jun-12-2013, 12:19
But if they do have this sale, I'll probably get Combined Arms, just to see what it's about, and the Black Shark. I'd like Flaming Cliffs too, but it's a bit silly that the ancient 'lock-on' is needed before you can use FC3.

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-12-2013, 13:18
That's good thinking, might as well make lemonade from our sour lemons! :thumbsup:

Skoshi_Tiger
Jun-13-2013, 02:45
Personally I think it was worth paying the full price to be an early adopter.

Sure there will be a flurry of people snapping up a bargan, but are they just collecting the title or are they actually interested enough to learn how to bounce a huey around a airfield! I've had three or so weeks of fun and it only costed me $10 a week. Thats good value.

At least it's not like ROF. I paid $89.00AUD and then they decided to give it away free!

I might actually fork out the dollars for Combined Arms. Theres no real reason to put it off once it's on sale.

Bugger the lemonade! I'll make a fine red out of my sour grapes thankyou very much! :thumbsup:

Royraiden
Jun-16-2013, 17:37
Perfect time for me to get the Mustang :) :-P

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-16-2013, 18:41
Perfect time for me to get the Mustang :) :-P

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

Even at the full price each of their modules (I have the A10C, P51D, and Huey) are well worth it just as "study" sims alone. I feel the same about A2A's Wings of Power 3 Spitfire 1a/2A -- and that one doesn't even have guns!! LOL. What better way to learn about an aircraft than to have a high-fidelity PC sim where all the buttons, switches, levers, gauges, systems, FM's, DM's are all there to operate and experience.

IMHO the DCS series doesn't have the level of playability that Clod provides me, but that's a highly subjective perspective on my part. Someone who has put the hours into DCS (which I truly haven't) could no doubt argue the opposite and he'd probably be right. For instance, I understand their mission builder is very powerful and intuitive....not to mention the recent improvements in air traffic controllers, AI, etc.

This is a sim series to keep an eye on!

Royraiden
Jun-16-2013, 19:10
You are right Snapper, if they manage to get a few more planes and at least a WW2 era map, something they stated is on their plans already, we are going to have a serious contender.

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-17-2013, 06:44
Yeah the FW190-D9 is in the works and is a AI plane at the moment. They apparently have some others early in the works as well as an appropriate map but they haven't been announced yet. My guess is two would have to be a Spit & 109 given their iconic status and likely sales as a result. Hopefully they'll be late-war variants like the Mk XIV and 109G/K so we can have fair match-ups with the Mustang and Dora. The map would have to be the new EDGE engine so we're talking early 2014. Also the developer of the just announced F35 is apparently looking to do a F4U Corsair and a Zero with a Pacific map but likely that's some way off as well.

The future is looking pretty good though for high fidelity WWII sims - I think in about a year we'll have a very viable WWII western front combat sim in DCS World.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jun-17-2013, 09:25
Ha,ha, Dutch, "Typical. In the last week i've bought both the Huey and the P-51 at full price."
I was about to say just that!:thumbsup:

Royraiden
Jun-17-2013, 09:56
The only "negative" thing I can say about the time frame they seem to have chosen, is that one of the most beautiful yet menacing looking planes of the war for me wont be in there.Im talking about the early versions of the butcher bird.The Dora to me looks hideous to be honest, the nose is extremely long, I cant get around that hehe.

The great thing is, we got the Battle of Britain on Cliffs of Dover, Battle of Stalingrad obviously on BOS and hopefully subsequent time frames/theatres, and finally 44/45 west theathre with DCS.I. hope the latter could concentrate in this theatre/time frame before developing planes and maps of earlier years or different theatres. Imagine an ME 262 with the B17and B24 to shoot down :)

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-17-2013, 12:49
The only "negative" thing I can say about the time frame they seem to have chosen, is that one of the most beautiful yet menacing looking planes of the war for me wont be in there.Im talking about the early versions of the butcher bird.The Dora to me looks hideous to be honest, the nose is extremely long, I cant get around that hehe.

You'll be grateful for the extra grunt the uglier Dora has if a Mustang ends up on your tail though! I'm really looking forward to seeing how they match-up personally. A lot of people tend to bash the Mustang but I think it'll hold up well to the Dora. Except in the armament stakes maybe. When the AI Dora manages to land a cannon hit or two on you it can be pretty devastating. Those 50 cals don't seem to have a real knockout punch to them. But that could also be down to the standard harmonisation pattern being set to 300 yards and IL-2 and the like has given most of the us the habit of getting in far closer than that.

Royraiden
Jun-17-2013, 13:35
You'll be grateful for the extra grunt the uglier Dora has if a Mustang ends up on your tail though! I'm really looking forward to seeing how they match-up personally. A lot of people tend to bash the Mustang but I think it'll hold up well to the Dora. Except in the armament stakes maybe. When the AI Dora manages to land a cannon hit or two on you it can be pretty devastating. Those 50 cals don't seem to have a real knockout punch to them. But that could also be down to the standard harmonisation pattern being set to 300 yards and IL-2 and the like has given most of the us the habit of getting in far closer than that.

Yeah, performance wise it is definitely a beast, cant argue about that.

Old_Canuck
Jun-17-2013, 13:38
Tempted to get my feet wet in DCS if this sale happens. Excuse my noobiness but is it a simple matter of downloading DSC World (apparently free) and then would it be possible to just order the P-51, Huey and A-10C Warthog by themselves?

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-17-2013, 13:43
Tempted to get my feet wet in DCS if this sale happens. Excuse my noobiness but is it a simple matter of downloading DSC World (apparently free) and then would it be possible to just order the P-51, Huey and A-10C Warthog by themselves?

Yep, that's exactly how it works, O.C. With DSC World you get the Su25 for free, so it's a great way of testing the software on your system, including joystick assignments, etc. Then, if you wish, you can purchase the individual modules as add ons.

Dutch
Jun-17-2013, 13:46

Yup. Just download DCS world for free, then pay for whichever module, download it to desktop with the torrent file for speed, then double click the resulting program file and follow the instructions. When you pay for the module, there will be an activation code on your 'receipt' screen. Copy this, and paste it into the relevant box as you are installing, or in 'module manager' afterwards and you're good to go. This should make sense once you see it. I think. :D

Old_Canuck
Jun-17-2013, 14:21
Sounds straight-forward even for an old noob. Thx gents. :salute:

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Jun-18-2013, 15:29
Thanks for the heads up!

ChiefRedCloud
Jun-18-2013, 18:51
Anyone got a link to this?

Dutch
Jun-18-2013, 19:21
Anyone got a link to this?

Link to DCS World page; http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/world/

Link to sale details; http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1786617#post1786617

:thumbsup:

P.S. I think the free Su25T is pants, and shouldn't be considered an example of what the P-51, Huey or A-10C are like. They are fantastic.

Royraiden
Jun-19-2013, 22:30
Sale is already up.I just bought the Mustang :) Downloading the DCS World right now.I have a lot of reading ahead of me:doh:

Injerin
Jun-20-2013, 01:24
If you guys are buying these modules, we have alot of info we are compiling over at ANON6 (http://www.anon6.com) expecially for the A-10C. and others. It might help some to get started.

TheVino3
Jun-20-2013, 04:46
Just bit the bullet and picked up the P-51, A-10C and Combined Arms. I figured that with the sale on theres no excuse to see what these things are all about :thumbsup: Wish me luck.

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-20-2013, 07:16
For new P51 pilots the operating limits from the manual that I've attached are really important - especially the accelerated stall boundaries which really caught me out in the beginning. You can't throw the crate around the sky like you can in CloD. I ended up flatting the curve on my elevator travel which helped me out as I got used to it. I use Saitek pedals for rudders and I ended up flattening the curve a bit on them too to help with the take off as the ground handling is more realistic and less forgiving than CloD.

Royraiden
Jun-20-2013, 08:46
For new P51 pilots the operating limits from the manual that I've attached are really important - especially the accelerated stall boundaries which really caught me out in the beginning. You can't throw the crate around the sky like you can in CloD. I ended up flatting the curve on my elevator travel which helped me out as I got used to it. I use Saitek pedals for rudders and I ended up flattening the curve a bit on them too to help with the take off as the ground handling is more realistic and less forgiving than CloD.

Great tips.From what I have read throughout the years and even while flying it on arcadey sims like WOP, the Mustang is unforgiving if you are not gentle on the controls, so your tips do make sense.Anyone know where I can find all the info needed to get that Pony up in the air?Is the included tutorial enough for this?

ATAG_Headshot
Jun-20-2013, 09:00
Great tips.From what I have read throughout the years and even while flying it on arcadey sims like WOP, the Mustang is unforgiving if you are not gentle on the controls, so your tips do make sense.Anyone know where I can find all the info needed to get that Pony up in the air?Is the included tutorial enough for this?

I found the tutorial for the mustang to be very helpful and thorough.

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-20-2013, 09:01
There's an instructor guided tutorial which shows you the full start-up procedure to get you from the ramp to the runway and ready to roll. There's also a few other guided tutorials on other things like navigation, weapons delivery, etc. I think in the tutorial for take-off they recommend the full mil-power take off of 3000 RPM, 61' manifold pressure which really isn't all that necessary. I advance to 30' MP and then once I'm settled I steadily advance a bit more to about 47' MP and take off. It's a bit of a beast to control at 61' with all that torque. Also keeping the tail wheel locked during your initial roll down the runway is very important - keep the stick neutral or pulled back a bit.

Dutch
Jun-20-2013, 09:01
Is the included tutorial enough for this?

Sure it is. Once your controls are set up (I set all the response curves in 'axis tune' to 25 initially, makes it far less jittery). The most tricky bit is mouse clicking on the starter switch, then quickly right clicking on the mixture setting for the engine to catch. But setting up controls on your hotas will make this easier. Not that it's too bad with the mouse though. :thumbsup:

Royraiden
Jun-20-2013, 09:13
Wow thanks for all the quick replies :) I started the tutorial up just see how the plane looks and Im still impressed!!!:stunned: The cockpit looks amazing.By the way my hotas was picked up automatically so the throttle and control surfaces are already mapped without me actually even looking at the controls section in game.Thats amazing!

Dutch
Jun-20-2013, 11:55
Well, I bought Combined Arms and the Black Shark as planned. Now I'm just waiting for 1.6Gb of training videos to download for the Black Shark. Sigh...........

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-20-2013, 12:17
I'll be downloading Combined Arms today. :thumbsup:

Dutch
Jun-20-2013, 12:26
I'll be downloading Combined Arms today. :thumbsup:

It's a bit weird at first glance. Nice wallpaper, but no missions, no campaign, no nothing. Until you realise that you use the existing missions, but somehow take control of tanks and stuff. I think. Me being slow on the uptake, I'd appreciate any tips from those in the know. That DCS forum looks a little erm, wild to be asking nooby questions. :D

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-20-2013, 12:37
The cockpit looks amazing.By the way my hotas was picked up automatically so the throttle and control surfaces are already mapped without me actually even looking at the controls section in game.Thats amazing!

It's a nice looking cockpit alright. Just about everything is nice and sharp in it. Your final control setup will probably end up being very like CloD which isn't that much of a surprise I suppose. One thing you'll probably want to add to a POV hat is the K-14 gyro gunsight. The harmonisation pattern is set for 1,000 feet but you'll want to adjust the range / target wingspan on the fly so you're getting the correct lead calculation. The harmonisation range can't be changed either - there was a fair bit of debate over this not long back but nobody could produce any solid evidence to show that Mustangs equipped with the K-14 had their harmonisation shortened to shorter ranges. There's plenty of evidence for Mustangs with the old fixed sights doing it but not with the fancy new ones. Personally I find that I tend to get in too close and when I have a look at the enemy plane it's their wings I'm peppering mostly. Trying to work on firing at the right range but it's hard to abandon old habits.

One other thing worth checking is that you're settings are on full sim mode and that take-off assistance is switched off. You're best off starting off in full sim and getting used to the quirks in my opinion.

Royraiden
Jun-20-2013, 16:28
It's a nice looking cockpit alright. Just about everything is nice and sharp in it. Your final control setup will probably end up being very like CloD which isn't that much of a surprise I suppose. One thing you'll probably want to add to a POV hat is the K-14 gyro gunsight. The harmonisation pattern is set for 1,000 feet but you'll want to adjust the range / target wingspan on the fly so you're getting the correct lead calculation. The harmonisation range can't be changed either - there was a fair bit of debate over this not long back but nobody could produce any solid evidence to show that Mustangs equipped with the K-14 had their harmonisation shortened to shorter ranges. There's plenty of evidence for Mustangs with the old fixed sights doing it but not with the fancy new ones. Personally I find that I tend to get in too close and when I have a look at the enemy plane it's their wings I'm peppering mostly. Trying to work on firing at the right range but it's hard to abandon old habits.

One other thing worth checking is that you're settings are on full sim mode and that take-off assistance is switched off. You're best off starting off in full sim and getting used to the quirks in my opinion.

Of course, I dont think there should be anyone wanting to fly this amazing bird represented in such complexity with aids.Thanks for the tips, cant wait to get the plane in the air and try my first landing.

EDIT*After a few screwed up take offs(tailwheel unlocked) I managed to get it in the air :) YAHOO! More impressive than that ,my first landing went pretty well and without any problems.Cant say the same about combat though, Im doing pretty bad but Im having a lot of fun anyways.The shaking instrument panel, the flashing of the guns when you pull the trigger, and all those little details are so immersive.It is amazing how the plane reacts to the smallest of movements on the control surfaces.It makes you think before doing anything.

TheVino3
Jun-20-2013, 20:42
Of course, I dont think there should be anyone wanting to fly this amazing bird represented in such complexity with aids.Thanks for the tips, cant wait to get the plane in the air and try my first landing.

EDIT*After a few screwed up take offs(tailwheel unlocked) I managed to get it in the air :) YAHOO! More impressive than that ,my first landing went pretty well and without any problems.Cant say the same about combat though, Im doing pretty bad but Im having a lot of fun anyways.The shaking instrument panel, the flashing of the guns when you pull the trigger, and all those little details are so immersive.It is amazing how the plane reacts to the smallest of movements on the control surfaces.It makes you think before doing anything.

More than can be said for my first landing! Bounced way too hard and broke the gear, added some throttle to try and...(I dont even know anymore :-P )...and the prop jammed somehow, sending me cartwheeling across the remainder of the runway amongst a shower of flaming wreckage. Good show for the folks at the hangars anyway :D

ChiefRedCloud
Jun-20-2013, 22:21
Now if I could figure out how to convert this Game Stop gift card to something they would take, I'd be good to go ......

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-21-2013, 05:25
Cant say the same about combat though, Im doing pretty bad but Im having a lot of fun anyways.The shaking instrument panel, the flashing of the guns when you pull the trigger, and all those little details are so immersive.It is amazing how the plane reacts to the smallest of movements on the control surfaces.It makes you think before doing anything.

Yeah the AI, while not the most imaginative of customers, does know how to fly with energy conservation, wide curves and fairly close to the envelope. It's good practice though trying to follow him around. I couldn't manage it at all when I started off - was constantly swearing in frustration as he zoomed up and away from me or I fell into an accelerated stall as I tried to follow his curve as I'd blown too much energy previously.

One tip I found very useful is to make sure you open both your rads before going into combat. The auto setting is fine for normal flying but it really can't keep up if you're pushing the engine hard and performing maneuvers like hard climbs that cause the engine to rapidly overheat.

Royraiden
Jun-21-2013, 17:13
Can anyone help me set up a quick dogfight? I tried setting one up against a 190 but out of nowhere I Russian jet got me down. The instant action dogfight puts you at a disadvantage at the beggining, I need a fair fight :)

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-21-2013, 17:55
In the tutorial missions I just edited that and changed the P51 vs p51 to be a fw190. Starts a bit funny as it says you'll be goingup aagainst a p51 but works out fine and gives you enough time to set up your radiators before the head to head pass

Royraiden
Jun-21-2013, 18:38
In the tutorial missions I just edited that and changed the P51 vs p51 to be a fw190. Starts a bit funny as it says you'll be goingup aagainst a p51 but works out fine and gives you enough time to set up your radiators before the head to head pass

Do you need to go into the mission generator for that? Im truly lost.

EDIT* Ok got it now, thanks for the tip.Now I really have a chance against the AI.