PDA

View Full Version : Team Fusion Friday Update -Improved spotting/LOD problem WIP

Mattias
Jun-14-2013, 03:58
:salute:

Poor spotting and the feeling that contacts disappear at mid-range has been one big issue in Clod ever since release, as discussed in many threads like this:
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3991&highlight=spotting

We are happy to announce that we have been able to ease that problem :thumbsup:

At first we wanted to make a video showcasing the difference, but videos are being shown at all kinds of resolutions and thus not very suitable to show a problem at pixel size
Anyway, heres a pic showcasing our attempts to deal with the spotting problem.
The picture shows 6 Hurricanes at distances of 950, 1340 and 1520 meters. Vanilla Clod is to the left and the new spotting WIP to the right.
How hard we try there will always be a problem showing a distant aircraft within a very limited amount of pixels, but please note that all of the 6 hurries are at least visible now :thumbsup:

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s497/MusseMus77/SpottingWIP3_zps44135db8.jpg (http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/MusseMus77/media/SpottingWIP3_zps44135db8.jpg.html)

Cheers/m

trindade
Jun-14-2013, 04:09
Looks pretty good! Thanks for your efforts guys:thumbsup:

Cheers

Zappatime
Jun-14-2013, 04:09
Looks much improved :thumbsup:

Kling
Jun-14-2013, 04:25
Looks much improved :thumbsup:

Most needed CLOD fix ever!!!!! On par with the FM fix in TF patch 3.0!

Great work Mattias!!!!!!!
And thx for the update!

Wulf
Jun-14-2013, 04:35
Most impressive. Your efforts are much appreciated. Thanks

SG1_sandokito
Jun-14-2013, 04:52
Thx matias good news

92 Cdt. Kiwikillemoff (QJ-Z)
Jun-14-2013, 05:23
:thumbsup:

OBT~Psycho
Jun-14-2013, 05:44
the more the TF works on patches, the more I wonder what the heck was doing the dev during all this time...
You guys are doing an outstanding work on the sim, improving every bit of problems that has been mentionned by the players all along dev time. And you're not even pay for that!!
The workflow in Luthier's team must have been terrible. I mean they spent so much time and energy to put out an half-completed fix for the sims in more than a year, and out of nowhere these TF guys fix everything step by step in a couple of month.

I can tell you how much I am grateful, as well as everybody from my squad, or even the french speaking community. So if you happen to pass by belgium, let me know, the beers will be on me:thumbsup:

Gix
Jun-14-2013, 06:55
Awesome.
Any idea when patch will come up ?

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-14-2013, 06:58
Wonderful stuff.

Just need a video from Mysticpuma now ;)

libano1982
Jun-14-2013, 07:08
:thumbsup:

Poor spotting and the feeling that contacts disappear at mid-range has been one big issue in Clod ever since release, as discussed in many threads like this:
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3991&highlight=spotting

We are happy to announce that we have been able to ease that problem :thumbsup:

At first we wanted to make a video showcasing the difference, but videos are being shown at all kinds of resolutions and thus not very suitable to show a problem at pixel size
Anyway, heres a pic showcasing our attempts to deal with the spotting problem.
The picture shows 6 Hurricanes at distances of 950, 1340 and 1520 meters. Vanilla Clod is to the left and the new spotting WIP to the right.
How hard we try there will always be a problem showing a distant aircraft within a very limited amount of pixels, but please note that all of the 6 hurries are at least visible now :thumbsup:

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s497/MusseMus77/SpottingWIP3_zps44135db8.jpg (http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/MusseMus77/media/SpottingWIP3_zps44135db8.jpg.html)

Cheers/m

DUI
Jun-14-2013, 08:12
Great news, looks amazing!

Is there a chance to see the six pictures separatly in high resolution?

Continu0
Jun-14-2013, 08:23

That exactly is my question too:-)

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-14-2013, 08:51
That looks very, very good! :thumbsup:

SoW Reddog
Jun-14-2013, 09:34
Looks great improvement. Question is, is it going to be released on it's own or with other things, and if the latter how long are we going to have to wait? I don't think I want to be waiting 2 months knowing the fix is done but not released...(But I'll have to and like it too :D)

Osprey
Jun-14-2013, 09:36
An epic fix. Spotting is one of the major reasons why people walk in and out of this without ever getting going.

Katdog5
Jun-14-2013, 09:59
gj fellas

Mattias
Jun-14-2013, 10:03
:salute: all and thank you very much for your positive feedback :)

No problems, you can download them (6 pictures) from here:
https://www.yousendit.com/download/WFJWOU1USEJBNkVzeHNUQw
(Pics in my monitors native resolution of 1280x1024. In-game AA set to 4 + FXAA activated through injFX (but no other injFX filter on))

Looks great improvement. Question is, is it going to be released on it's own or with other things, and if the latter how long are we going to have to wait? I don't think I want to be waiting 2 months knowing the fix is done but not released...(But I'll have to and like it too :D)

It will be released together with other mods/improvements.
We don't know exactly when yet but we are all trying our best to make the wait as short as possible :thumbsup:

Cheers/m

DUI
Jun-14-2013, 11:09
Niiiice - thanks a lot for the images!

fruitbat
Jun-14-2013, 11:44
The holy grail of CLOD fixes, thank you thank you:)

please please release as a bugfix patch as soon as possible!:D

DennydD
Jun-14-2013, 11:51
Thank you guys. Great work as usual.

Sandy1942
Jun-14-2013, 11:58
Thanks of TF for your diligence! :salute:

Macro
Jun-14-2013, 12:42
Well done guys looking forward to release

Jaws
Jun-14-2013, 13:32
Awesome! This was one of il-2's oldest problems. 1 pixel LOD. It should make a huge diference at 2560x1440.

Thank you guys!

Archie
Jun-14-2013, 13:49
Excellent work! :thumbsup:

ATAG_JTDawg
Jun-14-2013, 14:15
Well done guys looking forward to release

+1 with no pun intended :D

E69_pupo
Jun-14-2013, 15:25
is it just me or the overral AA quality on TF imagens is a tiny bit better?

or maybe its just my imagination....

the LOD fix desearves a patch just for itself, cant wait for the release :)

Meaks
Jun-14-2013, 15:30
Wow,fantastic guys,super impressed :thumbsup:

Salty
Jun-14-2013, 15:47
Well done you Guys! You have literally performed some miracles here. Very much appreciated!

E69_pupo
Jun-14-2013, 16:01
psst mattias, a think you oppened a small pandora box linking your photobucket account, really impressive stuff :thumbsup:

56RAF_klem
Jun-14-2013, 16:59
OK, I'm putting on my Kapok knickers before saying this....

I think its a little overdone, too black. I know black was used as, presumably, a kind of 'filler' but on the closest range it is too, well, black. It begins to show also at the medium range.

I wonder of a different colour could be used, say dark green or brown so the aircraft aren't so, well.... black and give more a suggestion of camouflage rather than... ermmmm.... black.

Sorry I didn't get this out in the TF dev forum but I was having a few problems.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jun-14-2013, 18:34
OK, I'm putting on my Kapok knickers before saying this....

I think its a little overdone, too black. I know black was used as, presumably, a kind of 'filler' but on the closest range it is too, well, black. It begins to show also at the medium range.

I wonder of a different colour could be used, say dark green or brown so the aircraft aren't so, well.... black and give more a suggestion of camouflage rather than... ermmmm.... black.

Sorry I didn't get this out in the TF dev forum but I was having a few problems.

Work in progress.....:P

By the way, I'd like to mention to the community that this mod is courtesy Mattias's hard work, he has contributed mightily to Team Fusion.

That's among many other reasons, is why I asked him to share Project Manager responsibility with myself.

So give him your support. :dthumb:

Skoshi_Tiger
Jun-14-2013, 18:46
Without your guys time and effort it would be looking pritty grim for COD.

Many thanks for the update on things to look forward to!

Thanks!

Continu0
Jun-14-2013, 20:15
By the way, I'd like to mention to the community that this mod is courtesy Mattias's hard work, he has contributed mightily to Team Fusion.

He has our support, admiration and thankfulness!

56RAF_klem
Jun-15-2013, 02:51
Work in progress.....:P

That's among many other reasons, is why I asked him to share Project Manager responsibility with myself.

Re-reading my post it comes across as a little abrupt, it wasn't meant to be and as my wife has said many times "but its the way you say it!". I guess its the legacy of years of straight-talking meetings where no offence is intended and none taken but "don't bring it home" so I hope I didn't offend anyone. :)

I understand its a WIP which is why I gave my thoughts. Mattias has done a tremendous amount of work for TF. He and all of TF have my absolute support. :dthumb:

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-15-2013, 06:27
Klem, your thoughts and suggestions are always welcome. Straightforward is the way to be. We wouldn't want it any other way, mate. :thumbsup:

:)

DUI
Jun-15-2013, 08:27
He has our support, admiration and thankfulness!
Indeed!

III/JG53_Don
Jun-15-2013, 09:00
fantastic job! really looking forward to get my hands on the next release :-)

AKA_Knutsac
Jun-15-2013, 10:15
Will this make spotting German planes easier too, or just the RAF?roflmao

Just kidding of course. Thanks for all the effort fixing the sim.

~S~

AKA Knutsac

Gromit
Jun-15-2013, 11:48
Many a true word spoken in jest, the 109 blue font seems to be the same as the one used for the sky, the result of which is you often see the Spit or Hurri in the fight but can't see the 109 right next to it, it appears as almost a faint wireframe with no contrast or shadow, that does need looking at as I don't seem to have any problems spotting the 109's coming at airshows!

Dutch
Jun-15-2013, 12:29
Many a true word spoken in jest, the 109 blue font seems to be the same as the one used for the sky, the result of which is you often see the Spit or Hurri in the fight but can't see the 109 right next to it, it appears as almost a faint wireframe with no contrast or shadow, that does need looking at as I don't seem to have any problems spotting the 109's coming at airshows!

Totally agree with this point. Good call, Gromit. :thumbsup:

Borsch
Jun-15-2013, 19:53
Looks much-much imporved, thank you Mattias! One of the biggest problems of CLOD (imho) looks to be solved! Amazing :thumbsup:

Wulf
Jun-15-2013, 20:20
Totally agree with this point. Good call, Gromit. :thumbsup:

Hahahaah .....OMG ..... you guys really should be on a stage somewhere. Seriously, who could write this stuff?? It's pure GOLD!! roflmao

Dutch
Jun-15-2013, 21:14
Hahahaah .....OMG ..... you guys really should be on a stage somewhere. Seriously, who could write this stuff?? It's pure GOLD!! roflmao

Why?

Damocles
Jun-16-2013, 02:01
I have to confess that I didn't particularly follow much of the discussion about the various failings of CLOD so if I go over old ground please forgive my ignorance.

I like the improvements btw.

Tracking aircraft in CLOD without labels has long put me off consistently playing this game and improvements in spotting will be a massive step forward in playability, for me at least. For some obscure reason I was thinking about this very topic several days ago and I was wondering if in trying to make it real, by being anally attentive to historic detail we were in effect making it more difficult for ourselves because of the way computer graphics handle light and depth of field etc. While possibly at closer combat distances than those shown in the pic's I wondered if, rather than historically correct colours, there should be a certain amount of over compensation with certain mid distance LOD's, brighten things up, in order to make things stand out from the background noise. We have winking reflections in game, for better or worse depending on if you like them or not, but there is also, to my mind a lack of light diffusion from aircraft skins (if that's the right way of describing it) . All things have a luminosity that helps set thing apart from something of the same colour but with a different tone etc. Before I ramble on to much more, talking about things I find difficult to define in precise correct terms, the nub is, should aircraft at certain LOD's, the ones used at typical dogfighting ranges (2-300 yrds ?) have brighter, overcompensated, colours to set them apart from their background, as if they were being bathed in bright sunlight or conversely, darker, if set against a light background such as the sky ?

Sorry it's a bit rambling and a bit incoherent but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm trying to say. I have to confess also that it's one of my bugbears with ARMA, trying to separate objects of interest, like enemy soldiers, from the background noise, especially as that background becomes ever noisier as computer graphics become better at populating the world with real life clutter.

P.S I think Gromit's post above aptly describes the problem.

Mattias
Jun-16-2013, 03:55
:salute: and thank you all for your feedback!

Klem has a point that black aircrafts might look a bit strange (if we're not talking night fighters) and certainly don't help identification.
But the WIP pictures show contacts that are barely over single pixel size at this range and FOV90 (fully zoomed out). Not something that could be identified what color we used. When you get closer or and/or zoom in the darkining effect will be reduced gradually for a natural look and easier identification. The reason black/dark was choosen is because this is the in-game color of the "distant contact pixel".
The mod is still WIP and all treshold values might be tveaked to find the "sweetspots". :thumbsup:

The effect will work the same way for both red and blue players :-P

Cheers/m

Gromit
Jun-16-2013, 05:44
I believe If your looking at a real aircraft your main identifying tool is silhouette, no matter what colour/colours the aircraft is you get shadow and differing light illumination making the shape stand out, it's like looking at a guy standing in front of a woods in camouflage jacket and trousers, despite being allegedly camouflaged he just looks like a bloke standing in front of a wood in cammo gear, put the guy in a ghilly suit and get him to stand amongst to the trees and his silhouette is broken and he blends in, you cant do that in the air as we have contrast, colour and depth perception, which is why we see aircraft at airshows a couple of miles out approaching, that is probably beyond the capability of 3d rendering to recreate, without resorting to some form of artificial illumination.

even with hi tech modern cammo-
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p480x480/483563_452260898184988_1601369762_n.jpg

http://ak6.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/1225435/preview/stock-footage-f-fighter-jet-flying-high-above-the-clouds-highly-detailed-animation-of-f-fighter-jet.jpg

http://www.combatreform.org/mig29skycamo.jpg

I don't think it's ever going to be "realistic" so we will have to accept compromises, the above TF images look like a good step toward abolishing the vanishing contact syndrome we currently suffer, which seems to deter quite a few people from the game, addressing that problem is probably the biggest issue in the game and TF are again giving up their time to wade through lines of incomprehensible numbers to resolve it, good job guys!

Mattias
Jun-16-2013, 06:00
I don't think it's ever going to be "realistic" so we will have to accept compromises, the above TF images look like a good step toward abolishing the vanishing contact syndrome we currently suffer, which seems to deter quite a few people from the game, addressing that problem is probably the biggest issue in the game and TF are again giving up their time to wade through lines of incomprehensible numbers to resolve it, good job guys!

Well put :thumbsup:

The human eye sees in a "resolution" of some 300-600 megapixels, depending on how you count, and we have two of them :D
As long as we use screens with some 1-3 megapixels without 3D depth we have to live with compromises.

Cheers/m

Ekko
Jun-16-2013, 06:30
TeamFusion/Teammagic :thumbsup: Thank you for your time/Work.

Wonder how much hair you Gentlemen have left:)

Kling
Jun-16-2013, 07:09
But why does ROF and (by the looks of it, BOS) not have these problems?! THe problem is not the pixels or the size of distant contacts IMO its the that they FLICKER and are invisible at certain angles and distances. Making them darker sure will make this easier aslong as they are not below you over land i guess..?!?

in ROF i can spot a contact very far away and at no point does he dissappear or flicker or become invisble. So in my opinion its a problem with codes in the game and not the limitation of our eyes or screens(although of course this is also lniting) If it works good in some games and some games not then it hardly can be the fault of my eyes ;)

CLOD is almost unplayable for me at the moment until the LODs are fixed.
Yesterday i flew for 2h with my brother as a wingman and we spent more time looking for each other to stay close to each other than we spent looking for the enemy.

You look away once for a few secs and then back and ur wingman is invisible or he lost you even if he knows perfectly well where you SHOULD be.
We never had this issue in Il2 1946 or ROF.

Or worse. you spot a contact at max distance and as you get closer he just vanishes into thin air so you continue to the last known position just to realise that he is just gone or find that he changed direction and is no somewhere else. My brother and i play different resolutions so that didnt seem to help.

We spent 10mins+ over english point trying to find each other in 109s, circling in left hand turns both at exactly 3000m without finding each other until i saw a reflection of his canopy and headed towards him and finally found him within 1000-2000 yards.

So this LOD fix really is THE most important fix for CLOD after the last FM fix.

A question for Mattias, is your fix only a change of the colour of the pixels to make them a bit darker? or were u also able to make them flicker less and show more shape at distance or is that impossible with current lack of AA?

What i mean is, it seems that the LODs cannot decide which LOD to use at a certain distance and while its doing this it looks like its flicker between the LODs. it seems to flicker between two different version of a LOD.

Best regards and thx for all your hard work!!

Royraiden
Jun-16-2013, 09:41
But why does ROF and (by the looks of it, BOS) not have these problems?! THe problem is not the pixels or the size of distant contacts IMO its the that they FLICKER and are invisible at certain angles and distances. Making them darker sure will make this easier aslong as they are not below you over land i guess..?!?

in ROF i can spot a contact very far away and at no point does he dissappear or flicker or become invisble. So in my opinion its a problem with codes in the game and not the limitation of our eyes or screens(although of course this is also lniting) If it works good in some games and some games not then it hardly can be the fault of my eyes ;)

CLOD is almost unplayable for me at the moment until the LODs are fixed.
Yesterday i flew for 2h with my brother as a wingman and we spent more time looking for each other to stay close to each other than we spent looking for the enemy.

You look away once for a few secs and then back and ur wingman is invisible or he lost you even if he knows perfectly well where you SHOULD be.
We never had this issue in Il2 1946 or ROF.

Or worse. you spot a contact at max distance and as you get closer he just vanishes into thin air so you continue to the last known position just to realise that he is just gone or find that he changed direction and is no somewhere else. My brother and i play different resolutions so that didnt seem to help.

We spent 10mins+ over english point trying to find each other in 109s, circling in left hand turns both at exactly 3000m without finding each other until i saw a reflection of his canopy and headed towards him and finally found him within 1000-2000 yards.

So this LOD fix really is THE most important fix for CLOD after the last FM fix.

A question for Mattias, is your fix only a change of the colour of the pixels to make them a bit darker? or were u also able to make them flicker less and show more shape at distance or is that impossible with current lack of AA?

What i mean is, it seems that the LODs cannot decide which LOD to use at a certain distance and while its doing this it looks like its flicker between the LODs. it seems to flicker between two different version of a LOD.

Best regards and thx for all your hard work!!

The problem is the lack of proper AA, spoting the initial dot doesnt give any problems because it is round, when this dot transitions to the next LOD the plane then turns more or less to a single horizontal line of pixels, and since the AA is not working as it should you dont only get the jaggies, you also see them disappear. Same happens with other objects in the sim. Anyways im glad that this issue is getting attention, the best solution would be to fix the AA but I dont know how hard it would be or even if its possible at all. Having the lods not disappear in itself is a huge improvement.

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-16-2013, 10:54

This is a troll* post, Wulf. Please don't carry on with this. If you disagree, fine. By all means say so. But please show respect for fellow forum members.

Thanks,

Snapper

*EDIT: By way of PM correspondence with Wulf I realized that the post above was intended as a light hearted disagreement and not meant to show disrespect to anyone. As for the issue of LW vs RAF relative visibility in the game, I'm confident that Team Fusion will continue to exert the most strict standards of data & documentation verification so neither side gets any unfair advantage. Thanks to Wulf for providing clarification.

Continu0
Jun-16-2013, 12:12
This is a troll post, Wulf. Please don't carry on with this. If you disagree, fine. By all means say so. But please show respect for fellow forum members.

Thanks,

Snapper

Why should this be a troll post? I understand it as follows:

They should be on stage because they deserve it to be famous or known.
"Who could write this stuff (he means the code)": He is paying respect, because no one else could do it...
"It is pure Gold": The changes are worth gold...?

I think he also took the "quote" button instead of the "reply"
Where is Wolf from? Maybe it is because his english-knowledge is not good enough?

Roblex
Jun-16-2013, 12:31
Before I ramble on to much more, talking about things I find difficult to define in precise correct terms, the nub is, should aircraft at certain LOD's, the ones used at typical dogfighting ranges (2-300 yrds ?) have brighter, overcompensated, colours to set them apart from their background, as if they were being bathed in bright sunlight or conversely, darker, if set against a light background such as the sky ?

If you cannot see the enemy at 300yds then you are probably looking the wrong way :-) This discussion is really about that distance where the 'dot' begins to become a 'dot with wings' and sometimes disappears in the process. The computer is torn between 'This plane is now too close for me to show it as a mere dot, we should begin to see wings by now' and 'I don't really have enough pixels to draw a plane with wings until it gets closer'

Personally, as I have a marginal machine and have to fly with low settings, my biggest problem is telling a spitfire from a 109 at 600yds. If I dive in on a dogfight I just have to guess who the enemy is and hope I can get a positive ID in the gap between 600 and 300. I frequently miss kills because by the time I am 100% sure, I have overshot. In the arenas with skins turned off there is that suggestion of 'yellow' or at least a subtly lighter shade that might indicate a 109 but when they have similar skins to RAF fighters I am lost.

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-16-2013, 13:00

What I presume Gromit meant was that the sky is often many different shades of blue depending on humidity, dust particles, air pollution levels, etc. Not to mention it's often overcast around England and during BoB there was plenty of crappy weather throughout the summer. Every day is a lovely day however in CloD with rarely a cloud in the sky and the sky is always the perfect shade for 109 camoflage which is pretty unrealistic.

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-16-2013, 13:26
Why should this be a troll post? I understand it as follows:

They should be on stage because they deserve it to be famous or known.
"Who could write this stuff (he means the code)": He is paying respect, because no one else could do it...
"It is pure Gold": The changes are worth gold...?

I think he also took the "quote" button instead of the "reply"
Where is Wolf from? Maybe it is because his english-knowledge is not good enough?

Maybe, Continu0, but obviously I disagree. I see it as disparaging fellow forum members.

nacy
Jun-16-2013, 15:13
Maybe, Continu0, but obviously I disagree. I see it as disparaging fellow forum members.

ATAG_Snapper I think you made ​​the troll, be calm

En Francais:ATAG_Snappaer Je pense que vous avez fait le troll, on se calme...

nacy
Jun-16-2013, 15:33
What I presume Gromit meant was that the sky is often many different shades of blue depending on humidity, dust particles, air pollution levels, etc. Not to mention it's often overcast around England and during BoB there was plenty of crappy weather throughout the summer. Every day is a lovely day however in CloD with rarely a cloud in the sky and the sky is always the perfect shade for 109 camoflage which is pretty unrealistic.

should not say that in cliffs of dover no clouds because ATAG_Snapper will tell you troll

En Francais: faut pas donner info que dans cliffs of dover pas de nuage, ATAG_Snapper va dire que tu troll...

ATAG_Snapper
Jun-16-2013, 17:46
should not say that in cliffs of dover no clouds because ATAG_Snapper will tell you troll

En Francais: faut pas donner info que dans cliffs of dover pas de nuage, ATAG_Snapper va dire que tu troll...

Goodbye, Nacy.

Mattias
Jun-16-2013, 19:34
Or worse. you spot a contact at max distance and as you get closer he just vanishes into thin air so you continue to the last known position just to realise that he is just gone or find that he changed direction and is no somewhere else.

This problem is 100% of the motivation behind this mod :thumbsup:
You are perfectly right we cannot blame the limited screen resolution for the poor spotting at 1-2 km away when a contact much further away is easily spotted.
The mod is not perfect yet and we do still have problems with flickering wings, but we're still working on it and it's all going in the right direction :go:

Cheers/m

Mattias
Jun-16-2013, 19:44
psst mattias, a think you oppened a small pandora box linking your photobucket account, really impressive stuff :thumbsup:

Hehe, thank you but please take what you see with a "grain of salt"...there's some horrible WIP pictures there as well :D

Cheers/m

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jun-17-2013, 09:21
Wow, that is huge Mattias! Not only much better, but very realistic looking also. Thank you very very much for you and the teams incredible contributions. :thumbsup: Can not wait for the patch.

Continu0
Jun-17-2013, 13:18
Mattias, I posted the update in the german ubisoft-forum and it got very positive reaction! Most of it see the problem of disappearing contacts as one of CloD`s major problems and look forward to the fix! Also, JG4 (of which I am a member) wants to thank you for your effort and can`t wait for the patch!

Thanks!

ATAG_Lewis
Jun-18-2013, 05:11
This is very exciting for me.....I only ever had 2 problems with CLOD...1) the game crash back to desktop (which is long since gone)......2) aircraft invisibility at certain distances...Once an aircraft was spotted it went through an invisibility zone as it got closer which was plenty enough time for that aircraft to get into a firing range of me whilst I was still scanning the sky....

My usual defence is (as soon as the enemy becomes invisible) to scan for a short time as to where he should be in the trajectory he was flying.....and if he doesn't reappear to then dive away in turns whilst looking at my 6 as if he was already on my 6 as that was often where the 'invisible' aircraft was next spotted...This tactic is suprisingly effective but annoying that I have had to become proficient at avoidance tactics in order to at least survive...Also a good tactic in Brit fighters is to fly with cockpit back as this enables you to hear an enemy on your 6 and take evasive action before you have even seen the foe

Therefore most of my kills come from enemy I can outmanouvre in close combat or from aircraft I spot that continue to fly straight and level for long periods...

Anyway my point is that although this has not put me off flying CLOD it is the single most frustrating problem I encounter with the sim and anything closer to solving it will be a massive plus to me and many like wise CLOD enthusiasts....

I thank everyone involved for their time and effort in these problems......

...lew...

Wisey
Jun-18-2013, 19:11
Fantastic stuff! Will make it so much better. Nice work:salute:

mazex
Jun-20-2013, 09:39
Awesomeness!

I'm so grateful for all the volunteer work put down to make CloD what it should have been!

Macro
Jun-20-2013, 13:01
any chance of a hotfix when this is ready? obviously a massive game changer for loads of people. just asking as dont know when next patch due or how much time involved in doing this. :thumbsup:

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jun-20-2013, 14:50
any chance of a hotfix when this is ready? obviously a massive game changer for loads of people. just asking as dont know when next patch due or how much time involved in doing this. :thumbsup:

We prefer to release our mods as part of a package.

In addition, our major coder/compiler is unavailable right now, he is in the middle of a job re-assignment to a new country.

We hope to have something for the community sometime in early August.

Continu0
Jun-20-2013, 15:13

In addition, our major coder/compiler is unavailable right now, he is in the middle of a job re-assignment to a new country.

Take care of that man! Beginning a new Job is already stressful and changing country is certainly not something that is relaxing in the first place...!
Good luck. And take your time, Team Fusion!

Mattias
Jun-20-2013, 17:22
Take care of that man! Beginning a new Job is already stressful and changing country is certainly not something that is relaxing in the first place...!
Good luck. And take your time, Team Fusion!

We are trying to take good care of him, but his problem is that he's a genius so we all ask him to solve all our modding problems :)

Cheers/m

Kling
Jun-21-2013, 04:34
We are trying to take good care of him, but his problem is that he's a genius so we all ask him to solve all our modding problems :)

Cheers/m

Are you talking about yourself now Mattias :P

buster_dee
Jun-21-2013, 06:39
Never hurts to have a genius willing to share his gifts.

I do a lot of reading about WW2 radar (and related) development. I've noticed that many of the "main players" lived into their 80s and 90s--furtile minds with too much to do to stop....

Whoever this genius is, thanks.

Mattias
Jun-21-2013, 18:53

Haha, no no no roflmao

Dutch
Jun-21-2013, 19:35

No, he's talking about ATAG_Colander. Hope you're still watching all this Colander mate. :thumbsup:

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jun-22-2013, 07:55
Colander is the Man! :thumbsup: Best of luck on your new gig C.

KDN
Jun-24-2013, 08:24
Excellent!! Thank you :)

2./JG54 Chumleigh
Jun-24-2013, 20:19
What everyone else said -- ditto!

hnbdgr
Jul-30-2013, 08:40

Oh I really wish this early august release will materialize in form of either the full patch or a hotfix.... this LOD fix is the best thing since sliced bread... or sliced spitfires...

hnbdgr
Jul-30-2013, 08:56
my first post was double post...yay

Kling
Jul-30-2013, 09:55
my first post was double post...yay

Haha

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jul-30-2013, 11:51
Oh I really wish this early august release will materialize in form of either the full patch or a hotfix.... this LOD fix is the best thing since sliced bread... or sliced spitfires...

Salute

On another post I mentioned we are unable to make an early August release, we are going into Beta testing at that point, but hopefully late August, early September for the release.

hnbdgr
Jul-31-2013, 07:03
That's fantastic, I wish I could help but don't have any coding skills:(

This patch will be the saving grace for people like me, Currently the only thing helping with short range visibility is MeshShowLod=1 which cuts fps by 25-50%. I had it on at first but my fps dropped to 16-20 in places like oye plage where the 40 hurris are sunbathing. with MeshShowLod=0 I get a nice 47fps average and it never seems to drop below 30.

Either way thanks for your efforts! Looking forward to release.

gavagai
Jul-31-2013, 12:10
I have zero grounds for complaining but man I wish you guys had released this fix by now. The sim is unplayable icons-off without it. I guess I will have to be patient.:ind:

ATAG_Snapper
Aug-01-2013, 10:26
I have zero grounds for complaining but man I wish you guys had released this fix by now. The sim is unplayable icons-off without it. I guess I will have to be patient.:ind:

Hmm, according to Netstats we've had close to 1600 individuals flying on our main ATAG Server in the last three weeks of July, so I'd guess some of them found Cliffs of Dover playable -- including myself. Hopefully Team Fusion will have found an effective work around to reduce, if not eliminate, this annoying LOD problem.

gavagai
Aug-01-2013, 12:58
Yes, I mis-spoke. To me it is unplayable icons-off. I am spoiled by other sims that don't have this LOD problem.

JG5_Emil
Aug-01-2013, 17:19
Mate I think you are being a little dramatic. I have a monitor with a crazy resolution and it is playable but can be a little hard work at times.

If you can't possibly manage it then go do something else for a while and check in, in a few weeks time.

Uwe
Aug-01-2013, 20:59
Exactly, its what I've been doing.
It isn't playable yet, but far be it from me to complain. I've full faith that TF will come through with the goods.

Manoxerox
Aug-02-2013, 02:55
If you have Nvidia GTX graphic card and you use RGB digital color system, change it to YCbCr444 system and you will see dots better. Also using SweetFX color correction helps. And don't use too much brightness. Soldier on:salute:

Uwe
Aug-02-2013, 22:53
If you have Nvidia GTX graphic card and you use RGB digital color system, change it to YCbCr444 system and you will see dots better. Also using SweetFX color correction helps. And don't use too much brightness. Soldier on:salute:

...ummm, in English please?
looks greek to me. :)

Manoxerox
Aug-03-2013, 01:10
...ummm, in English please?
looks greek to me. :)
Open the NVidia control panel. In the lower section there is a drop box called digital color system. If is says RGB, click the arrow and the drop box opens and reveals YCbCr444 choice. Click that. Then confirm the use by clicking apply button.
Information about SweetFX and download link you can find here: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/sweetfx_shader_suite_download.html
I guess you know how to adjust brightness: beauty in your eyes!:)
And it is not Greek, but Finnish:-P

DoolittleRaider
Aug-03-2013, 15:21
Open the NVidia control panel. In the lower section there is a drop box called digital color system. If is says RGB, click the arrow and the drop box opens and reveals YCbCr444 choice. Click that. Then confirm the use by clicking apply button.
Information about SweetFX and download link you can find here: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/sweetfx_shader_suite_download.html
I guess you know how to adjust brightness: beauty in your eyes!:)
And it is not Greek, but Finnish:-P

If this works to improve Dot visibility, I'll send you a box of choclates!!! I've followed all the threads about the dot visibility matter, and have tried all the *.ini tweaks, 3D settings, reducing Resolution, etc. etc.... I've gotten only minimal improvements, if any.

This is the first reference I've seen to setting YCbCr444 instead of RGB. I've now researched the matter...HDMI source is required for NV Control Panel to offer YCbCr444 option. (Since I am already using HDMI source to monitor, I'll make the switch and see how it goes when i next have time to fly ClOD this weekend.). Fingers crossed now for the YCbCr444 setting to help my Dot spotting problem.

AKA_Recon
Aug-05-2013, 21:59
I might have to resort to pure begging... please oh please o please make a 3.02 quickly with this in it :)