PDA

View Full Version : Damage sounds issue

SoW Reddog
Jun-17-2013, 03:57
I've found over the weekend that I can often get hit without even knowing it, unless I can see visible damage or have the damage messages switched on. The worst was being hit several times by a 109 and the only clue I had was looking out and seeing a ruddy great hole in the wing and then my engine started smoking. I'd clearly seen tracer flashing past, but there was no indication it was hitting me. I have sound turned up full, and readjust down with mixer if that helps. Is this something TF Mod related, or game in general?

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-17-2013, 06:50
I suspect the explosive/ bursting ammunition (from Flak or the 109 Canons) does not always produce impact sounds.
It seems that the rounds which can damage you without a direct hit (Minegeschoss, flak etc...) are the culprits.

It doesn't really surprise me that in real life blast or shrapnel damage to wing surfaces especially might not be audible to the pilot.
However, in game we don't all get the feeling of the impact that pilots would get in real life. In order to simulate that awareness we need either a sound file, or effective force-feedback (which not everyone can have due to hardware) or a damage report* of some kind (constant?).

* you can get "vehicle damage" in an info window, but it only shows momentarily.

Dutch
Jun-17-2013, 09:47
The weirdest thing, is that although you can't hear bullet impacts on your own aircraft, you can hear your bullets striking an enemy aircraft.

This isn't just a peculiarity, it means that if you're using a lot of deflection in a steep turn, and the enemy a/c can't be seen because he's under your nose, you can hear if you're hitting him or not, and can adjust your shooting accordingly.

Only last night, I had a really good scrap with 'Da_Rat' and his pal over Manston. I could hear whether I was hitting him or not (usually not), but didn't realise his mate had blown an enormous hole in my wing until I lost all aileron control and looked to my right to see enormous damage.

It was a really good scrap though. :D

I always fly with canopy open by the way, so this may be a factor in hearing the bullet strikes on the enemy a/c.

Foul Ole Ron
Jun-17-2013, 10:27
I always fly with canopy open by the way, so it may be a factor.

I don't think it's related. I always fly with canopy closed (it's like -23C around 20k!) and it seems to me to be just a general bug in the game where sometimes you get the sound played when great big holes get torn out of your wing and sometimes you don't.

Dutch
Jun-17-2013, 10:53
I don't think it's related. I always fly with canopy closed (it's like -23C around 20k!) and it seems to me to be just a general bug in the game where sometimes you get the sound played when great big holes get torn out of your wing and sometimes you don't.

Sorry mate, I meant this might be a factor in hearing the bullets strike the enemy aircraft. Badly phrased post on my part. Post amended. :thumbsup:

Royraiden
Jun-17-2013, 11:06
I have been getting this issue for the last 3 days.During a dogfight practice session, after the first rounds hit me I lost all the damage sounds completely.Yesterday while on ATAG ,flying over the channel I noticed I was leaking fuel,but I had not seen nor heard anything. Sounds were working fine before and the smallest amont of hits were heard.

SoW Reddog
Jun-17-2013, 17:06
Kind of relieved its not just me. Guess it'll get fixed at some point.