PDA

View Full Version : Engine Fire Management Q

ATAG_Freya
Jun-19-2013, 01:01
So there I was minding my own business at 22000 K and a 109 showed up and kindly inflicted upon me a "fuel secondaries fire". So for the sake of experimentation I decided to dive to try to extinguish the blaze. It didn''t work. So it got me curious as to weather or not it is possible to put out a fire in this manner. Was it possible in R/L in a spitfire? Is it possible in this fine sim? Just was wondering. Not at all angry about being shot down. Not one bit. Never. :grrr:

Any thoughts?
Freya

P.S. Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere before.

Roblex
Jun-19-2013, 02:06
It could be done in IL2 but I have never tried it in CLOD. I am usually more interested in bailing :-)

TheVino3
Jun-19-2013, 03:01
Ive seen fires on aircraft go out as the plane flies quickly towards the ground, so yeah I think its possible - but for some reason it might only work on planes that the pilot has bailed from or something odd like that.

Who knows - experiment repeatedly :thumbsup:

Continu0
Jun-19-2013, 04:18
I at least experienced that the fire becomes bigger when I fly at low speed. From a burning wing-tip I once got my whole wing (and fuselage later) on fire while turning around to find a place to land... So the fire is "dynamic"...

Mattias
Jun-19-2013, 04:47
So it got me curious as to weather or not it is possible to put out a fire in this manner. Was it possible in R/L in a spitfire? Is it possible in this fine sim? Just was wondering.

:salute:

As far as I understand a fire can be blown out by gaining enought speed, but I doubt a fire in the fuel tank can be blown out this way either in game or in real life :)

Cheers/m

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-19-2013, 05:16
Wing fires can go out with high speed.
Fuel fires do not.

Incidentally, if you sit on the ground with a fire on your wing, it never spreads to any other part of the aircraft, that is, the fire itself does not inflict damage.

ATAG_Freya
Jun-19-2013, 09:31
Thanks all, yeah this fire wasn't spreading at all after I pulled out of the dive and glided on for a bit. Just a small flame coming from directly behind the prop cone on the front right of the engine. I've read too that fires are not damage causing, but modelled to show damage that has been done. If that makes sense. ( I think Phil or someone went through that in another thread actually..) Anyway I think I'll avoid being lit up again just for good measure! Though I'm sure it'll happen again. :)) Here's some photo's everyone probably already has ....

Cheers,
Freya

Dutch
Jun-19-2013, 12:54
Just a small flame coming from directly behind the prop cone on the front right of the engine.

Interesting. That would correspond to the location of the Glycol header tank. The flammability of the Glycol is why the manufacturers changed from glycol to a glycol/water mix in the MkII (I think, doing this from memory). The glycol header tank was a curved tank, right behind the top half of the spinner, if memory serves. Good catch there Freya mate. :thumbsup:

Skoshi_Tiger
Jun-19-2013, 19:14
Section 22 of the pilot notes supplied with the Collectors edition.

22. FIRE IN THE AIR

See Note in A.P.2095, Pilot's Notes General.
Fire can be caused by a serious leakage of coolant in contact with the hot exhausts. Warning is given by streams of white vapour from the exhaust manifolds, when the pilotshould carry out the fire drill given in A.P.2095, except that the fire extinguisher need not be operated if the fire has not started. The engine must not be restarted.

Now we just have to find A.P.2095