PDA

View Full Version : Gunsight vs convergence in the set up

ATAG_Knuckles
Jun-20-2013, 14:15
O.K. gang: always wanted someone to post this question: After about two years I might as well, probably discussed before but I couldn't find it

Whats the difference between the Convergence in the "Load Out" menu and the bottom ring of the reflector gun sight ?????

Or !! what is that bottom ring actually for . If this is for "convergence" how does the "Menu Set Up" affect this ???? does one superseded over the other ?

Dutch
Jun-20-2013, 14:32
Hiya Knucks.

The top ring is for your convergence distance which you've set in the loadout menu, the bottom ring is for the wingspan of your target aircraft. You set the top ring the same as your convergence setting every time, but if you're going after a 109, you set the bottom ring to the wingspan of a 109, just under 40ft, so that you know you're at convergence distance when the gap between the two horizontal lines on the sight is the same width as the wingspan of the a/c in front of you.

Or if you're going after a Dornier, set the bottom ring to 65ft or whatever the Dorniers wingspan is.

That was actually a lot harder to put into words than you'd think. :D

Edit: i.e. the gunsight in your screenshot is set for 400yds convergence and a 30ft wingspan, roughly speaking....

Roblex
Jun-20-2013, 14:38
Convergence as set in the Load Out menu is where your ground crew have adjusted your guns to all meet at a certain distance, let's say 200yds.

The 'bottom ring' is where you tell your gunsight what your gun convergence has been set to by your ground crew (200yds) so when you use the other ring to say 'my target is 32 feet wide' it will know how far apart to set the side bars so the wings will just fit between them at 200yds.

Does that make sense? Let's try another approach:-

The point of the side bars on the gunsight is to let you know when a plane of a specified wingspan is at the convergence distance.
It cannot do that if you have only told it the wingspan; it needs to know the convergence distance as well. Once your ground crew have synchronised your guns to all meet at 200yds you would set that on the sight and leave it alone. The only thing that needs adjusting for each sortie or each target is the wingspan of the intended target.

Catseye
Jun-20-2013, 14:51
O.K. gang: always wanted someone to post this question: After about two years I might as well, probably discussed before but I couldn't find it

Whats the difference between the Convergence in the "Load Out" menu and the bottom ring of the reflector gun sight ?????

Or !! what is that bottom ring actually for . If this is for "convergence" how does the "Menu Set Up" affect this ???? does one superseded over the other ?

Yup, what Dutch said.

If you've set your top ring to 250 yds., and have the bottom ring set to the width of a Junkers 88 (60 ft), when the wingtips of the 88 touch the two horizontal bars in the gunsight, you will be exactly 250 yds from the bandit. Pull the trigger mate! :)

I often open up a little before the wings touch the sight bars and walk my bullet stream into the aircraft. So I'm shooting before convergence and after convergence so that the target sits in my kill zone for a longer bit of time.

Cheers

ps: check the link to the forum thread below this one.
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4758&p=48232&viewfull=1#post48232

Dutch
Jun-20-2013, 15:16
Ah, forgot the other aspect of your query. The menu, in your case 185, is in metres, not yards, so you have to convert. Mine is set at 137metres, which equates to 150yds, which is what I put into the top ring of the sight. Yours is probably 200yds or so. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Knuckles
Jun-20-2013, 16:40
O.K. gang

That was easy: all questions are now cleared up: appreciate the response: gonna go kill stuff now !!!!!

Knucks

1lokos
Jun-20-2013, 23:16
Reminder:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4762&p=54424&viewfull=1#post54424

:D

Sokol1

Dutch
Jun-21-2013, 07:40
That's actually very useful Sokol1, thanks! :thumbsup:

Interesting that the picture shows how to be far too close to the enemy though!

ATAG_Knuckles
Jun-21-2013, 08:31
WOW

I just printed that out: great info Thanks :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dutch
Jun-21-2013, 09:38
I just printed that out: great info Thanks :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

P.S. Knuckles mate, don't forget that you have to set the convergence range in the menu, both horizontally and vertically, for all eight guns. It's very labour intensive, but worth it in the end. :thumbsup:

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-21-2013, 11:23
P.S. Knuckles mate, don't forget that you have to set the convergence range in the menu, both horizontally and vertically, for all eight guns. It's very labour intensive, but worth it in the end. :thumbsup:

alternatively you can copy and paste, or edit in the user.ini file
but each of the 8 weapons still needs it's own values

Roblex
Jun-21-2013, 13:52
I find it's a little easier to set the convergence and ammo in the game as it goes through the guns in order from 1 to 8 while the ini file starts from 0 and seems to be in random order. Also it is hard to see what ammo is loaded if you use the ini.

Once you have done one fighter you just cut and paste that block of code from the ini file to all the other fighters.

ATAG_Knuckles
Jun-21-2013, 13:54
Thanks its done: !!! now we will see how successful it will be !!

1lokos
Aug-16-2013, 21:39
Reminder REDUX (version 1940). :thumbsup:

http://s2.postimg.org/ncyb492tl/692j.png (http://postimage.org/)
imgurl (http://postimage.org/)

Wingspan if not even number, reduced 1 foot (in game adjust only two in two).

Sokol1