PDA

View Full Version : An ask - hopefully not too onerous and ask

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-24-2013, 09:06
Hi Mod team.

I realise this request might be a big ask for you, however I thought I'd throw it out, just in case.

I've had the honour of helping a couple of new players patch-up over the past week or so to V3.01
However, in spite of the ease of this process, it still required a long time on coms, talking though download, of the two files, and installation as well as the inevitable time troubleshooting as we went along.

With more potential patches on the way, is it possible that such patches will be built so that they can be installed over BOTH the 3.01 and/or the clean game, in a single hit without multiple uploads and installs?

I'm keen to avoid the situation where a new purchase/install of the vanilla game requires 3 or more downloads/ installs in order to bring the game up to date with TF.

Dutch
Jun-24-2013, 09:56
Good idea, if it's possible. Alternatively, verifying game cache through steam to return to 'vanilla', then install one new patch to bring it up to date?

Certainly all the processes needed to bring the original IL2 up to the current v4.12 would be something I'd like to avoid with Cliffs in the future. If it's possible of course. :thumbsup:

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-24-2013, 10:07
Certainly all the processes needed to bring the original IL2 up to the current v4.12 would be something I'd like to avoid with Cliffs in the future. If it's possible of course.

This is partly my thinking too... to avoid as much rigmarole as possible.

ATAG_Slipstream
Jun-24-2013, 19:34
Being as most of the community had downloaded the full patch, the "hotfix" (3.01) was provided so that those that already had the full patch didn't have to re-download the whole thing again, and in consideration of those with slower internet speeds.

:salute:

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jun-24-2013, 23:23
Hi Mod team.

I realise this request might be a big ask for you, however I thought I'd throw it out, just in case.

I've had the honour of helping a couple of new players patch-up over the past week or so to V3.01
However, in spite of the ease of this process, it still required a long time on coms, talking though download, of the two files, and installation as well as the inevitable time troubleshooting as we went along.

With more potential patches on the way, is it possible that such patches will be built so that they can be installed over BOTH the 3.01 and/or the clean game, in a single hit without multiple uploads and installs?

I'm keen to avoid the situation where a new purchase/install of the vanilla game requires 3 or more downloads/ installs in order to bring the game up to date with TF.

Unless there is some emergency or unforeseen circumstance, we'll package it as one download.

As Slipstream said, 3.01 was a very small patch, and we didn't want to force people who already had TF 3.00 to download a large install.

The next release will be a big package and so we might as well package it with TF 3.00.

Wulf
Jun-25-2013, 00:48
Good idea, if it's possible. Alternatively, verifying game cache through steam to return to 'vanilla', then install one new patch to bring it up to date?

Certainly all the processes needed to bring the original IL2 up to the current v4.12 would be something I'd like to avoid with Cliffs in the future. If it's possible of course. :thumbsup:

Here I am agreeing with Dutch again. Patching I believe is one of the reasons many people lost interest in IL-2. Not because people couldn't be bothered clicking a download button or because people hated new and better content but because the actual installation processes could be complex and frustrating. If you're the kind of person who writes code or 'formats the hard drive' then none of this would be a problem but for those people who just surf and play games then complex installations can, IMO, become a real deal breaker. I don't know what can be done about this, if anything, but I do believe that patching, and most particularly complex patching, invariably erodes the player base.

Roblex
Jun-25-2013, 02:21
I thought about trying out IL2-46 again but then when I realised I had to install 2 mods I decided not to bother. OK sometimes it goes smoothly but other times you end up wrecking everything and having to start again.

ATAG_Colander
Jun-25-2013, 10:47
Anyone up to writing an auto-updater? :)

ATAG_Slipstream
Jun-25-2013, 11:38

I have one written in C from years ago somewhere on my external drive. Probably bug ridden though, I think it crashed if it couldn't connect instead of exiting gracefully :D

ATAG_Colander
Jun-25-2013, 11:41
Basically it would have to:
1.- Check the current version
2.- Be able to download the file from yousendit.com, preferably with pause and recovery from interruptions.
3.- Ask (as the installer does) for a destination folder.

We could modify the installer to accept a path as an argument.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-25-2013, 11:51
Excuse any ignorance inherent in my reply, but can the patch not just include ALL of the TF changes to date (v3.00 + v3.01), so it overwrites irrespective of current version?

ATAG_Colander
Jun-25-2013, 12:49
Excuse any ignorance inherent in my reply, but can the patch not just include ALL of the TF changes to date (v3.00 + v3.01), so it overwrites irrespective of current version?

Let's put it this way...
Complaints about patching (think version 40.0, not only 3.0 & 3.01):
1.- Download file is too big. Why do I have to download a big file for a small update?
2.- Too many files to download. Why not include all in a single download?
3.- Which files and on what order do I have to download/install?

Colander.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jun-25-2013, 13:09
Let's put it this way...
Complaints about patching (think version 40.0, not only 3.0 & 3.01):
1.- Download file is too big. Why do I have to download a big file for a small update?
2.- Too many files to download. Why not include all in a single download?
3.- Which files and on what order do I have to download/install?
Colander.

Not entirely sure what you're getting at. I assume it's an allusion to the "damned if you do, damned if you dont"?, which is fair enough. Yes, someone will whine no matter what you fine fellow decide.

Although I'd suggest that a single large patch, which includes all previous patches and any new stuff, in one massive file solves issues 2 and 3 in one go. If it means a 1-hour download, then I can live with that. Steam games take a long time to download also.

ATAG_Colander
Jun-25-2013, 13:59
That's where the updater comes in...
It checks your current version and downloads and installs only the necessary files with one click.
This means, smaller downloads for those with slow connections and simple updates for all.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jun-25-2013, 16:58
That's where the updater comes in...
It checks your current version and downloads and installs only the necessary files with one click.
This means, smaller downloads for those with slow connections and simple updates for all.

This is why we pay him the really BIG bucks... Err... pardon me, how much did you say we were paying him... nothing... :guilty:

71st_AH_Eagle
Jun-25-2013, 20:40

Can I try?

Broodwich
Jun-26-2013, 18:47
Is it a big deal to publish two installers? One that goes from the most up to date version and then another that goes from vanilla clod? That would solve both sides of the equation

ATAG_Colander
Jun-26-2013, 20:42
Is it a big deal to publish two installers? One that goes from the most up to date version and then another that goes from vanilla clod? That would solve both sides of the equation

It is for those who have to spend the time creating them.